Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: 2 bikes, Google earth, and rosary Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 03 2006 at 7:46pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

What do all these have in common? They are part of our new local geography curriculum, as planned by Libby and Trip. This came as a total surprise to me.

On Sunday, after the boys' viola recitals, the older two kids decided to go for a bike ride. After I reminded them to wear helmets (Teens!! Humph!), they rode off. They were gone for several hours. It turned out that they rode over 16 miles round trip, from our house to the house of a homeschooling friend (who was not home ). Neither one had identification, and Libby did not think to bring her phone (why did we get that for her, can someone remind me? ). But we had no idea how far they had gone, and so had nothing to say, and hours later, as we pieced the story together, it was too late to be angry . We did suggest that next time they find some way to communicate with each other, at least, as they rode. They quickly answered that they had! They yelled the rosary at each other as they rode!!

That evening, the took a visit to Google Earth, and discovered that they had travelled 16 miles. Of course, they felt very pleased with themselves, and are now planning the much longer ride out to my mother's house, the beach, and more using Mapquest and Google earth.

Any other long-distance biking kids out there?

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

Taffy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 04 2006 at 9:48am | IP Logged Quote Taffy

I was as a kid. I'm sure it drove my mom crazy - we lived in bear country! My longest trek was about 35 km with a swim in between but I'm nowhere near able to do that now.

Back to Top View Taffy's Profile Search for other posts by Taffy

Diane
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 04 2006 at 10:16am | IP Logged Quote Diane

MacBeth, I love the visual of a teenage sister and brother yelling the Rosary to each other as they ride their bikes together---priceless! I don't see how a mother could get angry after hearing that. I'm sure it made the Blessed Mother smile too.

My brother and I were very close growing up, and we took many long bike rides together---but it would have never in a million years occurred to us to yell the Rosary as we rode. You are doing something right! (obviously more than just something....but this something is the most important thing)

The Journey of a Mother's Heart
Back to Top View Diane's Profile Search for other posts by Diane Visit Diane's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version