Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: FSSP Calendar?-Traditional Feast Days Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 05 2007 at 1:24pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah

For those of you that are in an FSSP (Fraternity of St. Peter) apostolate did you get a 2007 calendar this year?

We usually have them in the back of the church but there aren't any this year. Our priest is in Europe so I can't ask him.

Just wondering. . .

Back to Top View Sarah's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Jan 05 2007 at 3:28pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Sarah,
Can't help you much because we don't have an FSSP apostolate, but Katherine had calendar idea here and in the comments sections, Ruth linked to a Tridentine Feasts Sticker albumthat looked wonderful!

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Jan 05 2007 at 3:34pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

You can buy it online here

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 05 2007 at 6:03pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah

Great, thanks so much. My wall looks so bare without a calendar and its nice to know the feastdays, etc. . .

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Jan 05 2007 at 7:11pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Sarah,
Here's an online list of the tradtional feasts

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 05 2007 at 7:21pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah

Wow! Who needs a calendar? You are link queen!!!

I'm thinking that ds10, my calendar kid would enjoy making his own calendar this year based on your links.

A good January project. . .

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 05 2007 at 11:01pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Can someone explain to me (or point me to an article) that explains what changed, if the change had a significant effect on the people or on how they see God and the Church, and if it was a good or a bad change? I have always been curious about this and know next to nothing about it.

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

kjohnson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 06 2007 at 12:54am | IP Logged Quote kjohnson

I've done a bit of tweaking to our liturgical calendar this month. I just posted it on my blog. Our family's calendar doesn't incorporate the dates on the Tridentine calendar, but the Eastern Catholic Calendar. But either way, I'm happier with the set-up this month, since it is now reusable.

Tweaking Our Liturgical Calendar

Back to Top View kjohnson's Profile Search for other posts by kjohnson

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: Jan 06 2007 at 4:54am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Katherine,
I like your pocket idea! Because two of my children have godparents who are Eastern Orthodox, we've always been aware of the feasts of both.

I've really been wondering lately about the Tridentine calendar though. Our parish is Novus Ordo, so it seems like it makes the most sense to use that calendar so that home and church are in sync. But...I want my children to know the traditional calendar.   Hmmm...

kjohnson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 06 2007 at 7:33am | IP Logged Quote kjohnson

Thanks, Elizabeth.

I definitely think it's best to use the calendar that your parish follows. The reason our family incorporates both the Eastern and Western in our family calendar is that we worship in both our Novus Ordo parish and a Byzantine Catholic parish (Doug and I are about to get the kids dressed and ready to go to our Byzantine Catholic parish to celebrate the feast of Theophany and the Great Blessing of the Waters).

But there has to be a way to educate the kids about the Tridentine calender too. I'll have to think about that one.

My motto is that I educate my kids to use, as John Paul the Great would term it, our full lung capacity in the Church. The more our children understand about the communion of traditions within the Universal Church, the better and more enriched they will be.

Back to Top View kjohnson's Profile Search for other posts by kjohnson

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 06 2007 at 11:13am | IP Logged Quote Sarah

Once I discovered there were two calendars I've always been sad about that since I feel a division. When the New has Ordinary Time, we're in Sepuagesima. Then my MIL calls to wish Dominic happy feast day its not, its John's and vice versa. (St. Dominic and St. John Marie Vianney are switched, why?). My Dominic was born on the Queenship of Mary, May 31, but that's the Visitation for the N.O. Michaelmas is still just for St. Michael while Gabriel is a day away from the Annunciation, etc. Raphael is in October. We have a different Christ the King Sunday. Corpus Christi is different. We're not talking little differences here. In my mind these are huge feast days.

There are like a hundred more blank calendar days in the new calendar and they just decided to throw out many feast days. Why?

Today is Ephiphany here (the 6th). There are still 12 days of Christmas.

We don't even have the same liturgical seasons.

I'm definately not saying one is better than the other, but its sad that they're different. They are supposed to be the SAME rite.

When my Mom comes to visit, she brings her own (N.O.) readings that she reads during Mass since ours are different. There is no Cycle A, B, C.

Books, I think there is a significance to the change. I'm not sure what it is but I know I feel very attached to the Tridentine rite, but yet don't feel on the same page, but want to be. I don't want to different.

I agree that you should use the calendar of where you attend Mass because the Liturgical Seasons and Feastdays are different with a different spirituality attached to some. We're in Christmas Season until Feb. 2nd. (Candlemas). I think after tomorrow (the N.O. Epiphany) you are in Ordinary time-I may be wrong here.

Here's another example of some confusion. On Ascension Thursday, although it was not a Holy Day of Ob. when we lived in Oklahoma, I wanted to take the kids to Mass so went to Mass in the N.O. not realizing that it was the feast of St. Jerome instead and the feast was transferred. Then on Sunday we attended our Latin Mass Parish which had already had the Ascension on Thurs, while the N.O. was having it that Sun. So I missed it altogether !

So, I learned to stick with one and stay there.

The neat thing about the Byzantine is that it is its own Rite. The Tridentine and the N.O. are the SAME rite, yet we still have this huge difference. The Church does not know what to with the difference since you can't simply invent a New Rite. Not sure what to think about all of it. Kind of a mess, really. Now what to we do in the Tridentine Missal with the saints such as St. Juan Diego, etc. that are being canonized and given feast days, yet that missal is stuck in 1962. Who's going to update it? The Sunday after Easter is High Sunday, not Divine Mercy Sunday, although many priests make a point of addressing it in the Sermon where I have been.

I do want to make it very clear that I am in full communion with the Church and don't have anything against the N.O. I'm still trying to make sense of it all.

Hope this post isn't a problem. Maybe I said too much.

Bridget
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 06 2007 at 11:29am | IP Logged Quote Bridget

I think many of us are trying to discern how the old fits in with the new. There is so much rich tradition and good religious writing that are kind of being rediscovered as part of our Catholic heritage.

Back to Top View Bridget's Profile Search for other posts by Bridget Visit Bridget's Homepage

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 06 2007 at 11:32am | IP Logged Quote Sarah

A link to the Traditional Liturgical Year:

Not sure who these people are so if the site contains anything contrary to the teachings of the Church I don't endorse it. This page seemed fine.

Scroll down for a good explanation:

Traditional Year:

Also, Jan. 1st in not the Solemnity of Mary, its the Circum. of our Lord. Those don't even seem remotely the same. Why? This site has a chart that explains "25 Feasts and times, in chronological order, that demonstrate how the [traditional] liturgical year is a reliving of the life of Christ:" Its interesting. I think as we count down to Easter there is also a Passion Sunday that is not in the N.O. (may be wrong here, too). Are Passion Sunday and Palm Sunday the same in the N.O.? Can't remember. . .

Angela F
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 06 2007 at 12:20pm | IP Logged Quote Angela F

I'd seen the fisheaters site once before, too. It's sad to have the good stuff stained by the bad. Anyway here's a review from Catholic Culture.
God bless,
Angela

Back to Top View Angela F's Profile Search for other posts by Angela F

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 06 2007 at 12:50pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah

Oh dear, Angela. That probably wasn't the people to link. I quickly did a search for the liturgical seasons and came up with that. My kids were hounding me for lunch at the time!

Well, everyone. Their little calendar chart is good, but beware of the rest. I really only meant to show their chart .

Thanks for the heads up, Angela!!!

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 06 2007 at 12:51pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah

Sarah wrote:
The Sunday after Easter is High Sunday, not Divine Mercy Sunday,

I mean, its Low Sunday!

I need a nap . . .

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 06 2007 at 1:34pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Sarah wrote:
The neat thing about the Byzantine is that it is its own Rite. The Tridentine and the N.O. are the SAME rite, yet we still have this huge difference. The Church does not know what to with the difference since you can't simply invent a New Rite. Not sure what to think about all of it. Kind of a mess, really. Now what to we do in the Tridentine Missal with the saints such as St. Juan Diego, etc. that are being canonized and given feast days, yet that missal is stuck in 1962. Who's going to update it? The Sunday after Easter is High Sunday, not Divine Mercy Sunday, although many priests make a point of addressing it in the Sermon where I have been.

Sarah, I've been pondering some similiar ideas for a while now. I know you are in line with the Church, so no offense was taken by your post. There are some elements of the Tridentine Rite I love. When translated correctly, I don't find huge drastic changes in the Latin Novus Ordo, but I guess I'm in a minority with that opinion.

But I digress. I am praying if the Holy Father does anything with the Tridentine Rite is to update some elements so that it can be a living rite. Right now it's dead. 1962 was the last reform. I grapple with how you can accept a rite and yet not go along with changes in the Church, such as the catechism, Code of Canon Law, Roman Ritual, the Lectionary, the Liturgical Calendar...etc. The Tridentine Rite is stagnant. It doesn't reflect the new saints. The Lectionary reform was brilliant, because it does cover the Old and New Testaments, something we didn't have before. I can't understand why can't the T.R. Mass exist with the other changes. I'm sure someone can explain it to me, but in my heart it still doesn't add up.

Like Sarah, I objected to the changes and omissions. Some seemed to be drastic. But even before 1969 the Church reformed the Liturgical Calendar a few times, and when I understood the reason for the changes, I could embrace it all, with only a few petty objections.

There is an excellent OOP book called The Saints In Season by Austin Flannery, O.P., 1976, Liturgical Press. It breaks down the Liturgical year by feast, giving readings, collect prayers, etc. But the treasure of the book is the compilation of the documents and explanations of how and why the calendar got changed. Austin Flannery compiles the new revised calendar, and also includes partial translations of the documents that explain the revision and reasons for it (Calendarium Romanum, 1969).

Below is part of Chapter Two, Part 2, The Rationale of Celebration. There were too many feast days, and not enough emphasis on the liturgical cycle. The main emphasis during the year is the unfolding of the mystery of our Redemption through Christ, which is known as the "temporal calendar." We also have the "sanctoral calendar" in which the Church gives us feasts of saints as companions, that we may invoke and emulate these saints during our striving for heaven. In the 1969 reform of the Roman calendar, they simplified the grading celebration. For saints' days there are now solemnity, feast, obligatory memorial and optional memorial. Excuse the long quote, but I think it's very thorough, and explains the differences between the Tridentine classes and N.O. divisions. My remarks are in brackets [ ].

(a) Solemnities
A solemnity corresponds to the 'first class' of previous terminology [i.e., old calendar]. Over and above the moveable solemnities--the Blessed Trinity, Corpus Christi, the Sacred Heart, Christ the King--there are ten fixed solemnities.

(b) Feasts

A feast corresponds to the 'second class' of previous terminology. Apart from the movable feasts--the Holy Family and the Baptism of Our Lord--there are twenty-three fixed feasts.

(c) Obligatory Memorials

The word 'memorial' comes from the Constitution on the Sacred Liturgy: 'The Church has also included in the annual cycle memorial days of the martyrs and other saints.' (art. 104). The Constitution itself took the wood from tradition. The Fathers and liturgical books use it frequently from the time of St. Cyprian. In the year 1915 the word was introduced in the monastic calendar to indicate a lesser class of saints' feast.

While solemnities and feasts, which occur less frequently than memorials, are fully festive days, a memorial is celebrated as the mere calling to mind of a saint on the anniversary of his death. Solemnities and feasts are exceptional days. A memorial, however, is inserted into daily liturgical life: it is a simple evocation of a great servant of God, but it becomes a source of grace because of its association with the celebration of the divine office and eucharistic sacrifice: 'that we may make progress and follow in the footsteps of the believers whose memory we recall by sharing in the sacrament' (Sangal. Sacramentary, 1032).

Memorials are either obligatory or optional. There are sixty-three obligatory memorials [as of this writing, 1969].

Solemnities, feasts, and obligatory memorials constitute that group of days which, in accordance with the prescription of the Constitution on the Sacred Liturgy, 'commemorate saints which are truly of universal importance' (art. 111).

(d) Optional Memorials

There are 95 optional memorials [as of 1973]. Since a celebrant is permitted, outside of Advent and Lent, to celebrate, in a festive way, the Mass of any saint whose name is mentioned in the Martyrology on that day...it may be asked what is the point of optional memorials. It can certainly be answered that their importance is not to be underestimated. Optional and obligatory memorials offer to the faithful's veneration some from among the multitude of saints who are proposed as examples. They added to the life of the Church and found favor with the people before others, even if this admiration sometimes arose from extrinsic factors or from what was written about them. Not a few of the optional memorials were introduced into the calendar in order to make it clear that sanctity is not confined to certain times and places. This shows the didactic and pastoral aspect of this calendar.

Optional memorials offer the chance of celebrating a a saint's day in the divine office as well as at Mass. Every memorial in the calendar is assigned a special prayer in the missal and a hagiographical reading in the breviary.

To avoid the permanent omission of the celebration of certain popular saints--such as St. Frances of Rome, St. Patrick, St. Silvester, whose days occur during Lent, permission is granted for the celebration of optional memorials even in those seasons.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 06 2007 at 1:48pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I'm serial posting here, and it's long, but I thought this might be the appropriate place to include some explanations and documents on why and how the NO calendar came to be. Excuse the length and any typos:

I wrote this a few years ago in another Yahoo Group:

===============
It's good to find the sources from the Church documents about how and why you are doing things. To me, that is one of the first lessons for the children when they can comprehend these ideas. They will see that as parents, we're not doing everything by whim, but following purposes and reasons behind all our liturgical activities. I enjoy finding out the "etymology" as it were, of practices in the faith. I'm a lifelong Catholic but only recently understood the breakdown of the Liturgical year and the changes to the calendar done in 1969. The calendar finally made perfect sense to me -- a big light bulb went off in my head.

Vatican II helped explain to the faithful that knowing and learning about the faith wasn't only through clergy and religious. The Council stressed the "Universal Call to Holiness" -- we all can get to heaven, whether we are married, single, religious or a priest, plus we can find out what the Church teaches on our own. It's our duty to learn and study our faith. We can read the documents on our own and build up our faith. My mother-in-law and others from her generation were convinced that sanctity meant you had to be a nun or priest. They were misinformed, because Vatican II didn't introduce anything new, but restressed the truth.

The Code of Canon Law from 1983 explains the Obligations and Rights of all the Faithful and Lay Faithful. In this, section, we find that we must learn our Christian doctrine. It's not just a hobby. See the quote below:

Can. 229 §1. Lay persons are bound by the obligation and possess the right to acquire knowledge of Christian doctrine appropriate to the capacity and condition of each in order for them to be able to live according to this doctrine, announce it themselves, defend it if necessary, and take their part in exercising the apostolate.

§2. They also possess the right to acquire that fuller knowledge of the sacred sciences which are taught in ecclesiastical universities and faculties or in institutes of religious sciences, by attending classes there and pursuing academic degrees.

§3. If the prescripts regarding the requisite suitability have been observed, they are also qualified to receive from legitimate ecclesiastical authority a mandate to teach the sacred sciences.

That being the case, understanding how the Church set up the Liturgical Year became a subject of interest for me. There have been many changes to the calendar since Vatican II. If you look in older missals, the way saints' days were set up were confusing: simple, double, semi-double, commemoration, and vigils, octaves, too. Saints' feast days were different between different editions of 1949 and 1957 and 1962 of the St. Andrew Missal. And many saints lives were obscure, not necessarily historically grounded and so many saints, that with many saints it was hard to find the virtues in their lives to imitate, when all I knew about them was the possible date and place of martyrdom. And the seasons seem to have no rhyme or reason, with saint feast days celebrated on Sunday, etc.

For these reasons and more, this subject was brought up in the documents of Vatican II, to be specific, Sacrosanctum Concilium (Constitution on the Sacred Liturgy).

107. The liturgical year is to be revised so that the traditional customs and discipline of the sacred seasons shall be preserved or restored to suit the conditions of modern times. Their specific character is to be retained so that they duly nourish the piety of the faithful who celebrate the mysteries of the Christian redemption and, above all, the paschal mystery. If certain adaptations are necessary because of local conditions, they are to be made in accordance with the provisions of Articles 39 and 40.

108. The minds of the faithful should be directed primarily toward the feasts of the Lord whereby the mysteries of salvation are celebrated throughout the year. For this reason, the Proper of the Time shall be given due preference over the feasts of the saints so that the entire cycle of the mysteries of salvation may be suitably recalled.

So from Vatican II, Pope Paul VI issued a motu proprio which approved a reform on the Liturgical Year and the Calendar. Mysterii Paschalis or Approval of the General Norms for the Liturgical Year and the New General Roman Calendar.

Celebration of the paschal mystery is of supreme importance in Christian worship and the cycle of days, weeks, and the whole year unfold its meaning: this is the teaching so clearly given us by Vatican Council II. Consequently, as to both the plan of the Proper of Seasons and of Saints and the revision of the Roman Calendar it is essential that Christ's paschal mystery receive greater prominence in the reform of the liturgical year, for which the Council has given the norms.

We do not see a conflict with this theme the splendor of feasts of the Blessed Virgin Mary, "who is joined by an inseparable bond to the saving work of her Son,"[10] and of memorials of the saints, which are rightly considered as the birthdays of "the martyrs and victors who lead us."[11] Indeed "the feasts of the saints proclaim the wonderful work of Christ in his servants, and display to the faithful fitting examples for their imitation."[12] Further, the Catholic Church has always firmly and securely held that the feasts of the saints proclaim and renew Christ's paschal mystery.[13]

Undeniably, however, over the course of the centuries more feasts of the saints were introduced than was necessary; therefore the Council pointed out: "Lest the feasts of the saints take precedence over the feasts commemorating the very mysteries of salvation, many of them should be left to be celebrated by a particular Church or nation or religious family; those only should be extended to the universal Church that commemorate saints of truly universal significance."[14] [Highlight in bold mine]

To put these decrees of the Council into effect, the names of some saints have been deleted from the General Calendar and permission was granted to restore the memorials and veneration of other saints in those areas with which they have been traditionally associated. The removal of certain lesser-known saints from the Roman Calendar has allowed the addition of the names of martyrs from regions where the Gospel spread later in history. In consequence, the single catalogue displays in equal dignity as representatives of all peoples those who either shed their blood for Christ or were outstanding in the heroic virtues.

So then the General Norms for the Liturgical Year and the Calendar was issued by the Sacred Congregation of Divine Worship. This is really a wonderful document, because you can see the "science" of the liturgical calendar, what ranks and outranks what. Sundays take precedence over everything except solemnities or feasts of the Lord, but Sundays in Advent, Lent, and Easter override those solemnities and feast of the Lord. After that, we have the ranking order of Solemnity, Feast, Memorial, Optional Memorial, always with exceptions. See the table in the document for the breakdown.

Holydays of obligation are not treated outside the list of ranking. These are all solemnities that the Church requires attendance at Mass, etc. See quote below from Canon Law:

Can. 1246 §1. Sunday, on which by apostolic tradition the paschal mystery is celebrated, must be observed in the universal Church as the primordial holy day of obligation. The following days must also be observed: the Nativity of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Epiphany, the Ascension, the Body and Blood of Christ, Holy Mary the Mother of God, her Immaculate Conception, her Assumption, Saint Joseph, Saint Peter and Saint Paul the Apostles, and All Saints.

§2. With the prior approval of the Apostolic See, however, the conference of bishops can suppress some of the holy days of obligation or transfer them to a Sunday.

Can. 1247 On Sundays and other holy days of obligation, the faithful are obliged to participate in the Mass.

Moreover, they are to abstain from those works and affairs which hinder the worship to be rendered to God, the joy proper to the Lord’s day, or the suitable relaxation of mind and body.

The American Bishops have moved the feast of the Epiphany and Corpus Christi to Sundays, and now even Ascension (Thursday) in some dioceses. The bishops have chosen to not make the feasts of Saint Joseph, Saint Peter and Saint Paul the Apostles as holydays. (The references for the holydays of obligation can be found in Canons 1246-1248, referring to the first precept of the church. See also Catechism 2042, 2180.)

There are only 17 Solemnities in the Church year, and I don't know how many feasts. To me, it's important to show the family the different levels of celebration. This doesn't diminish that St. Anselm, bishop and doctor is a great saint, but the degree of feasting is different on a Sunday, Solemnity, Feast, Memorial and Optional Memorial.

A great site on unraveling the mystery of the calendar is RomCal . His program is potentially a great science and math project for advanced students.

Following saints' days can be confusing because in all different books and over the Internet you will find multiple saints for the day, but sometimes they aren't even listed on the Universal Roman Calendar. What the Church follows is the General or Universal Roman Calendar which has the feast days that the universal church celebrates. Then there are particular calendars for countries, dioceses, religious orders, parishes, and cathedrals.

There is another Church document which was just updated in 2001 called the Roman Martyrology, right now only available in Latin. This contains the eulogies of the saints and blesseds approved by the Sacred Congregation of Rites for each day of the calendar year. There can be 10-15 saints on any given day. I own an older version, the newer version is still in Latin and not much help to me right now. And even with this document, there are other sources which list more saints for each day (see Butler's Lives of the Saints) for example. The Church has tried to correct and remove those saints that present historical difficulty. This doesn't mean that they didn't exist, but there aren't records to prove their lives, so the Church has removed them from the universal calendar, but not necessarily from private devotion.

Another excellent document that would behoove everyone to read is Directory on Popular Piety. This will really help you see what the Church encourages as far as private devotion, including veneration of saints, the dos and don'ts, as it were. Read the section on Devotion to Saints and the Blessed.

After all this reading and studying about the calendar, I realized there's such wisdom in bringing back our focal to Christ and his Mysteries, focusing on Easter and little Easters (Sunday). The Catechism reinforces this idea:

The Liturgical Year

1168 Beginning with the Easter Triduum as its source of light, the new age of the Resurrection fills the whole liturgical year with its brilliance. Gradually, on either side of this source, the year is transfigured by the liturgy. It really is a "year of the Lord's favor." 42 The economy of salvation is at work within the framework of time, but since its fulfillment in the Passover of Jesus and the outpouring of the Holy Spirit, the culmination of history is anticipated "as a foretaste," and the kingdom of God enters into our time.

1169 Therefore Easter is not simply one feast among others, but the "Feast of feasts," the "Solemnity of solemnities," just as the Eucharist is the "Sacrament of sacraments" (the Great Sacrament). St. Athanasius calls Easter "the Great Sunday" 43 and the Eastern Churches call Holy Week "the Great Week." The mystery of the Resurrection, in which Christ crushed death, permeates with its powerful energy our old time, until all is subjected to him.

1171 In the liturgical year the various aspects of the one Paschal mystery unfold. This is also the case with the cycle of feasts surrounding the mystery of the incarnation (Annunciation, Christmas, Epiphany). They commemorate the beginning of our salvation and communicate to us the first fruits of the Paschal mystery.

The sanctoral in the liturgical year

1172 "In celebrating this annual cycle of the mysteries of Christ, Holy Church honors the Blessed Mary, Mother of God, with a special love. She is inseparably linked with the saving work of her Son. In her the Church admires and exalts the most excellent fruit of redemption and joyfully contemplates, as in a faultless image, that which she herself desires and hopes wholly to be."

1173 When the Church keeps the memorials of martyrs and other saints during the annual cycle, she proclaims the Paschal mystery in those "who have suffered and have been glorified with Christ. She proposes them to the faithful as examples who draw all men to the Father through Christ, and through their merits she begs for God's favors."

While saints feasts are important for our support network, they are not the dominant nor most important part of our Liturgy. So I learned to "let go" my frustration that St. Thomas the Apostle was no longer an Advent saint, but now a summer saint and just focus on his life and the message to my faith. Does it matter what day it falls in the scheme of the Liturgy? In the end, not really.

And here are some ideas I've had in incorporating the Liturgical year and the Saints:

• Use Ordinary Time for more research and study of the saints, focusing more on the liturgical seasons during Advent, Christmas, Lent, Holy Week and Easter.

• If you use Halloween for dress-up as saints, have the children read lives of the saints to find a new saint to be and emulate. As a child I did this. We did "Who Am I?" so it was a challenge for us to find new saints that we could stump our family and friends.

• At the beginning of the Church year, map out what saints you are going to find out. Perhaps pick one or two saints to read biographies on through the year as a family, or personally. Besides the saints to the General Roman Calendar, plus American calendar, add the patron saints of the family, names, patrons of professions, states in life, and favorite saints of devotion, and perhaps pick a few unknown saints to study more for the year. Maria Von Trapp suggests drawing names and have devotion to the saint for the year, also choosing a saint's biography to read as spiritual reading for the year/month.

• Don't get overwhelmed with too many saints per day, particularly if it is a liturgical season or feast day that would override those saints. The Church wants us to follow her liturgically. That is the main emphasis.

• As in Popular Piety the best way to celebrate saints is with the Universal Church -- go to Mass, receive Communion. Read the readings and Collect of the day, pray the Office of Readings and Liturgy of the Hours for the next step.

• Challenge your children to be familiar with the liturgical year. It should be like you knowing everyone's birthdays and anniversaries. The saints and Christ and Mary are family members, so we remember their "Birthday" (the day they died and went to heaven is usually their feast day, known as their birthday). Have the kids know the feast days, the rankings, what to expect on these days (solemnities we pray the Gloria and Creed at Mass), the readings, the lives of the saint, symbols and patron, etc.

These of course, are just basic ideas, which probably all of you do. But you don't need extra trimmings all the time. What the Church offers us in liturgy is just a treasure, waiting to be explored, and it always gets deeper the more you delve into it.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 06 2007 at 2:00pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Sarah wrote:
Also, Jan. 1st in not the Solemnity of Mary, its the Circum. of our Lord. Those don't even seem remotely the same. Why? This site has a chart that explains "25 Feasts and times, in chronological order, that demonstrate how the [traditional] liturgical year is a reliving of the life of Christ:" Its interesting. I think as we count down to Easter there is also a Passion Sunday that is not in the N.O. (may be wrong here, too). Are Passion Sunday and Palm Sunday the same in the N.O.? Can't remember. . .

Passion and Palm Sunday have now been combined in N.O. which makes sense in the idea of a calendar Holy Week. It wasn't a Holy Two Weeks.

The change in the Christmas season from 40 days to a shorter period, and the removal of other octaves were to bring the focus back to Easter and the Resurrection, the central part of our calendar. I mention that above in my long posts, which probably no one will read. The change of names to Ordinary Time instead of Time After Pentecost.

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 06 2007 at 3:27pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah

JennGM wrote:
   I am praying if the Holy Father does anything with the Tridentine Rite is to update some elements so that it can be a living rite. Right now it's dead. 1962 was the last reform. I grapple with how you can accept a rite and yet not go along with changes in the Church, such as the catechism, Code of Canon Law, Roman Ritual, the Lectionary, the Liturgical Calendar...etc. The Tridentine Rite is stagnant.

I agree, Jenn in that the Missal is stuck in 1962. This is very frustrating. The whole thing is frustrating. Its a very difficult thing to explain and I'm not sure I can in a post. Once you completely come to love the "Old Mass" you can never go back and you find yourself in a very odd position, feeling very out of place. The former Holy Father in his wisdom allowed the Old Mass to be brought back and the current Holy Father is a huge fan of it also. Our Bishop offers it periodically, our Vicar General offers it daily to the Carmelites. Why?

I'm glad you posted all you did. I didn't say above that either calendar was right, I was just pointing out the differences and that it annoys me that we are supposed to be the same rite, yet not even close to being the same.

I'm not a huge, arguing Traditionalist. In reality I'm not good at arguing at all, nor do I want to. All I know is that the Indult is creeping in, I love the Traditional Mass, and I wonder where people like me fit into the Church I want so much to be at the heart of.

The Church is accomodating us, though. Just this Fall our Bishop confirmed around 80 kids in the Traditional Rite. Our FSSP Seminary is at full capacity with a waiting list. The Carmel is growing. Clear Creek Monks are growing. The Oblate sisters are growing. Our parish is filled with young families as most of the FSSP apostolates are. So, there is much youth in the Traditional Mass.

I don't know what else to say, Jenn, except that I don't feel that our family is doing anything wrong by staying where we are. My husband researched it forever before our family made the change. We haven't declared anything from Vat.II to be wrong. Its a devotion I can't explain.

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version