Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Book Club (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Book Club
Subject Topic: Our 2007 Book List Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 29 2007 at 1:44pm | IP Logged Quote Natalia

I keep forgetting to post so here are the books I have finished for feb-march and april:

February

Their Eyes Were Watching God (Hurston)-I loved this book. Her writing styles is beautiful.

Tennyson-An illustrated Life- I didn't know much about Tennyson. I love illustrated biographies. I love to see what famous figures of the past really looked like.

March (this month was mostly YA literature)

Dragons in the Water- L'Engle (didn't like it much)

Meet the Austins-L.Engle (loved it)

Jennifer, Hecate, MacBeth, William Mckinley and me, Elizabeth-Konisgburg

Confessions of a Closet Catholic (Littman) I picked this book up from our library shelf because the title pricked my curiosity. It is a JFic about a jewish girl that decides that she is going to give up being a Jew for lent because her best friend is Catholic and she gives things up for lent. She of course doesn't tell her family and she becomes a "closet Catholic"because she goes in her closet to pray. It is a lovely story and it presents Catholicism in a good light.

The Crystal Snowstorm (Trevor)
Following the Phoenix (Trevor)
Angel and Dragon (Trevor)

April

At Her Majesty's Request- a true story of an African princess that is saved from being sacrificed by her African captors. Her captor gives her as a present to the Queen of England. She is taken to London and for the rest of her life she was in contact with the Queen.

Superfoods RX

Honey for a Woman's Heart (Hunt)

Homeschooling the Teen Years (Cohen)

The Contender (Lysite) I am starting to preview some of the SL recommendations for their 20th century history.

Natalia
Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 30 2007 at 1:08am | IP Logged Quote Chari

Keep up the posting, please, Ladies! I am not going to be around much....and, I am not reading many books right now...a bit of a reading diet for the moment, in preparation for a two month cross country trip.

What did you read in March-April????

I read the first two Karen Valentine books....I cannot remember what else for the moment

I read WAR AND PEACE when I was 17 yo....crazy. Wonder how I would enjoy it now? I admit I really do not remember much, which is sad considering how much time I spent reading it I DO remembering loving Anna Karinina........but not sure why

We read the last chapter of THE DAY CHRIST DIED every Good Friday. Brings tears to our eyes

.....also, WHAT CHRIST SAW FROM THE CROSS I highly recommend to go with Lenten reading.

Interesting thoughts, Rachel. Thanks for sharing.

I really want to read your first book listed, Gwen! Sounds like fun!

Oh, Kristin, what fun choices you have for reading right now! And, yes, it was very sweet of Karen to write to you. How personable!

Okay...off to bed right now....

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 30 2007 at 2:41pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

I has a fun experience of having books sent to me as a suprise and I read them without reading what they were about. I think that made it so much more fun since I had no preconceived notions. They were

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime (my favorite)

Marley and Me (I enjoyed it even though I don't like big dogs)

The Miracles of Santo Fico (I cried once and laughed out loud a bunch of times.)

And I'm trying to give a careful reread to this book I love, Real Learning.... it has me considering stepping outside the curriculum box in a big way next year.

thepojtoo
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: April 30 2007 at 4:42pm | IP Logged Quote thepojtoo

Chari wrote:
Keep up the posting, please, Ladies! . . .What did you read in March-April????

Sense and Sensibility, Grapes of Wrath, East of Eden. I am currently reading In The Wake of Michael by Roger Tibault and Les Miserables.
Back to Top View thepojtoo's Profile Search for other posts by thepojtoo

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 01 2007 at 12:46am | IP Logged Quote Chari

oooooH! Les Miserables is one of my all-time favorites! I just read it two years ago. My two oldest kids loved it, too. Enjoy!

PS..Welcome to the boards! please do tell us about your screen name

So Rachel, what do you mean "surprise" books???

night, all!

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 01 2007 at 4:37pm | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

Chari wrote:
So Rachel, what do you mean "surprise" books???

They showed up in the mail one day with no advance warning. My friend in Guam had mailed them to me. Now isn't that a great way to show love?

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 01 2007 at 11:17pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

Rachel May wrote:
[QUOTE=Chari] So Rachel, what do you mean "surprise" books??? [QUOTE]
They showed up in the mail one day with no advance warning. My friend in Guam had mailed them to me. Now isn't that a great way to show love?

Oh, that's what my Farm at Lough Gur was, a "surprise" from a friend that showed up in the mail one day. She also sent a Tridentine Mass on video which she found at a library sale. And she's a devout Lutheran.

My sister says we must read Marley and Me.

Jen L.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 02 2007 at 7:14am | IP Logged Quote Jen L.

Rachel May wrote:

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime (my favorite)

I really enjoyed this book too!

Back to Top View Jen L.'s Profile Search for other posts by Jen L.

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 03 2007 at 10:52pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

I just finished Valentine's The Haunted Rectory. It has a similar feel to her Dorsetville series - still a small New England town with people who've known each other for years, and of course a Catholic church. I felt like the last few D'ville books were a little trite, but this one held my attention! I wonder if she's planning to make this another series, or is just the one book?

I also re-read The Red Badge of Courage in order to discuss it with 14 yo ds. It was pretty good, but not as great IMO as some other "war front" books like "All Quiet on the Western Front." I need to re-read that one soon, too.

Karen T
Back to Top View Karen T's Profile Search for other posts by Karen T

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 04 2007 at 12:59am | IP Logged Quote Chari

Cool, Rachel........... cool, Gwen!

Maybe I need to find the RIGHT friends

Thanks for the review, Karen.......I gotta wait till end of summer to take up reading again

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 04 2007 at 1:01am | IP Logged Quote Chari

Great list, Natalia! We had been posting at the same time, last week Your reading sounds like fun!

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 04 2007 at 6:42am | IP Logged Quote Natalia

I just finished

Cry, the Beloved Country by Alan Paton

I LOVED it. It is a sad tale but full of hope and faith.

Natalia
Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

knowloveserve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 04 2007 at 2:15pm | IP Logged Quote knowloveserve

Books I've read this year so far:

The Child in the Church by Maria Montessori. Fabulous read... excellent descriptions on how we should perceive our children. I thought it was OOP but you can find it at catholicshoponline.com for a great price!

Happy are you Poor: The Simple Life and Spiritual Freedom by Thomas Dubay. It's quite convicting... watch out.

Succesful Fathers by James B. Stenson. Amazing little booklet that my NON-reading dh just loved. He told me to buy 20 copies to give to all the dads we know. That's how much he liked it.

A Catholic Homeschool Treasury by Maureen Wittman and Rachel Mackson. This was more than I thought it would be. Some of the essays in here are very useful and go beyond the typical ode to homeschooling books.

Feast: Food to Celebrate Life by Nigella Lawson. I love her cookbooks because I am inclined to read every little word in them... the anecdotes and tips etc. Great book like all her others.

Treason by Orson Scott Card. My little brother told me to read it (I loved Card's "Ender's Game"). This was a bit too much Sci-Fi wierd stuff for me.

The Drawing of the Dark by Tim Powers. A fantasy novel with slight Catholic overtones. It was pretty good, but not exactly what I was looking for.

The Giver by Lois Lowry. Just decided it was time to read this old classic on my shelf. It had a great message, but I thought the ending was a bit weak.

I'm also in an out of the following books (I read about 3-5 at a time, switching for various moods):

More Saintly Solutions to life's common problems by Fr. Joseph Esper
It Takes a Family by Rick Santorum
The Fire of Francis Xavier by McGratty
Lifeline by James B. Stenson

Finally, I am in the middle of the best book I've ever read in my life. Single-handedly. "The Gift of Faith" by Tadeusz Dajczer. I can not begin to express how much this book is changing my whole worldview and spirituality. It takes you deeper...

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 05 2007 at 1:08am | IP Logged Quote Chari

Great list, Ellie! Thanks for bringing it to us!

Is the last book non-fiction?

God bless!

Kristen in TN
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 05 2007 at 10:23pm | IP Logged Quote Kristen in TN

After Little Women I went on Little Men and now I'm almost finished with Jo's Boys.

In Little Men, Jo keeps a book with pages for each child and how they have behaved for the week, both good and bad traits, virtues and weaknesses. I was thinking oh how I wish she would write more about that. Some mothers (like me) could really use a little instruction on that.

Slowly I have been reading through Mary Ann Budnick's series on Raising Happy Children. About the time I was reading Little Men, I started the 3rd book in that series called "Raise Happy Children, Teach Them Virtues." In one section was a description of this book like Jo kept. I felt God answered a little prayer for me.

By the way, I think every Catholic parent should read that series (the Raise Happy children series.) There is just a wealth of information for parents, I feel like they will have to be re-read many times.

Last year I read the book about Mother Angelica. It was one that you just can't put down. I loaned it out and am thinking about re-reading that one again.

God bless,
Kristen in TN
Back to Top View Kristen in TN's Profile Search for other posts by Kristen in TN Visit Kristen in TN's Homepage

thepojtoo
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: May 14 2007 at 9:13pm | IP Logged Quote thepojtoo

Chari wrote:
..Welcome to the boards! please do tell us about your screen name

Our name is Poje (long "o", long "e") my husband is called poj so I am poj also.

I like Les Mis too. I have been to the play at least 5 times including on Broadway. I had to read the book (and Man in the Iron Mask) in French for my high school conversational class. They were condensed versions but difficult none the less.

I am finding the English version just as interesting and wish we had more writers like Victor. His character descriptions are full and beautiful. Since I just finished War and Peace, I am finding the comparison of these books quite enlightening as they both deal with the same era.

Thank you for your welcome. I am enjoying the forums. There is a lot to read
Back to Top View thepojtoo's Profile Search for other posts by thepojtoo

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 11 2007 at 9:34pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Thanks to you ladies I know what titles to look out for I was recently given the job of packing up my deceased f-i-l's book collection. Imagine dusty, wasp nested books that had been mouldering for ten years in a disused shed. Understand how I got the job? Well I salvaged as much as I could, 34 boxes went to Lifeline and we kept 5. Imagine a whole set of Biggles books!

Anyhow my find that I'm enjoying reading at present are the Dorothy Sayers books of Lord Peter Wimsey. 'Busman's Honeymoon' was the first I read and I am hooked. I loved it! Has anyone else enjoyed the scene where they were trying to clear the chimney, it was my favourite part of the book. Can you imagine such a honeymoon as they had with practically the whole village traipsing through your home the day after your wedding!!! I'm onto my fourth one now and still enjoying them.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 28 2007 at 12:46am | IP Logged Quote Chari

Okay, ladies....I am reading nothing but tourist pamphlets these days :)

I really thought I would be able to read on this trip of a lifetime...yeah, right...what was I thinking???

....so, I want to know what YOU finished reading in the months of April and May....we are a bit behind, and June is coming up on us fast, so add any June books, too, while you are at it. I will rejoin you in reading, maybe in the Fall???

Oh, found a bunch of fun looking Jane Austen books at the Boston Museum of Fine Arts today. Hope to find them somewhere....

Reading blessings to you!

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 28 2007 at 7:47am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Speaking of Jane Austen books, Chari...my sisters and I reinstituted the local chapter of the Jane Austen Adoration Society this Spring. We read and discussed Mansfield Park together (hooray for free minutes on cell phones!) and now we are watching the various movie adaptations as we find them. Very fun.

As a companion book we read What Jane Austen Ate and Charles Dickens Knew: From Fox Hunting to Whist-The Facts of Daily Life in Nineteenth-Century England. Incredible book that shed much light on the era in an easy to read, engaging manner.

Also the book The Sense and Sensibility Screenplay & Diaries: Bringing Jane Austen's Novel to Film. Really appreciated the insights into filming a period piece.

A few other books I've read this Spring,
Around the World With Auntie Mame - hilarious, laugh out loud short stories about a boy and his wealthy aunt bashing about the world between the World Wars.

Then I checked out Eloise: The Ultimate Edition again as she is like a pint sized Auntie Mame.

Shorebirds: Beautiful Beachcombers - lovely photographs in this small book.

And a book I'm putting on the list but not linking to - Our Lady of the Forest by David Guterson. If you see this book pull out (at the minimum) a Kleenex (a hazmat suit would not be asking too much in this case if you have one in your purse) to protect your hands from its filth as you gingerly carry it to the nearest trashcan. I've never read one of Guterson's books before and never will again. Gross and disturbing with a lovely image of the Virgin Mary on the cover.

So there you go! A few good books and one nasty one. There have been other books I've read this Spring but can I think of them this morning??? Noooo... Need more coffee! All this on one cup? What was I thinking? (Not much apparently... ) Off for my second cup - yum!

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

allegiance_mom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 28 2007 at 12:32pm | IP Logged Quote allegiance_mom

I am on a Jane Austen bent this year, and have read

Pride and Prejudice
Sense and Sensibility
Mansfield Park
Emma
Persuasion

All for the first time. I just checked out Northanger Abbey from the library today.
Back to Top View allegiance_mom's Profile Search for other posts by allegiance_mom Visit allegiance_mom's Homepage

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version