Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Book Club
 4Real Forums : Book Club
Subject Topic: Our 2007 Book List Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 26 2007 at 12:17am | IP Logged Quote Chari

Jennifer, what age would be the youngest you would let read Rebecca? I have dd desiring to read it here........

Thanks!

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 26 2007 at 9:26am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Irene, I think you'd enjoy comparing it to Jane Eyre!

Chari, I think I first read it in High School to "prep" for my first trip to Britian. She captures the feel of the countryside amazingly well. However, the topics of adultery, murder and suicide come up and how those choices reverbrate through time to the present. A very detailed review can be read there, it gives the entire book away, all plot lines, all details, everything.

For atmosphere, Chari, you could have your daughter try her Vanishing Cornwall or Enchanted Cornwall instead!

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

Tifflynene
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Jan 30 2007 at 6:08pm | IP Logged Quote Tifflynene

Hello-

I am currently reading Louis de Montfort's book True Devotion to Mary. It is a phenominal spiritual must! I had heard that there might be some discussion of this book on this forum??

I am trying to find my way around so maybe I missed it somewhere else....? Help, Chari!

Tiffany, the Rookie
Back to Top View Tifflynene's Profile Search for other posts by Tifflynene

Philothea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 30 2007 at 7:36pm | IP Logged Quote Philothea

Tifflynene, the discussion is in the "Hidden Treasure" forum. I am also reading this book and finding it very difficult to grasp (eleven years of hard core protestantism are harder to get out of one's soul than I thought), so I will look forward to hearing what you found inspiring.
Back to Top View Philothea's Profile Search for other posts by Philothea

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Feb 01 2007 at 12:54am | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

momwise wrote:
I finished LEFT TO TELL: DISCOVERING GOD AMIDST THE RWANDAN HOLOCAUST by Immaculee Ilibagiza

I'm sure I saw someone else list this on the 2006 thread.

The story was so compelling I started to read Sunday morning and finished Monday morning. The author is Catholic and her most prized (and actually only) posession during the time she was in hiding was her father's Rosary. A very good encouragement to persist in prayer and improve in contemplative prayer.

I finished Left to Tell this evening. All I can say is, "Wow!" It's an amazing book. I think EVERYONE should read it. (And I'm not the type to make sweeping statements like that.)

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 11 2007 at 1:16pm | IP Logged Quote Chari

Okay, I just finished the Mitford series, the last three books.........boy! I sure miss it! I want more

What a sweet, fun well-written story......and clean! YAY! I am looking forward to Katherine Valentine's books now.......only the second has come from the library ......the first needs to come quick, cuz the second will need to go back soon!

Thanks for the advice, Jennifer!

So, anybody need to list any books they finished up in January???

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Feb 11 2007 at 3:12pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

And I finished the 4th book in Katherine Valentine's series, ON A WING AND A PRAYER. Honestly, I didn't like it as well as the others. It was an enjoyable read, but a bit of a disappointment, imo. My library has the 5th book on order to purchase when it comes out in March, so I hope I like that one better.

marcie
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 11 2007 at 3:52pm | IP Logged Quote marcie

I just finished "Grace Will Lead Me Home" and "On A Wing And A Prayer". I enjoyed both of them. Actually , I read the last one in 2 days......it seems that once I start I just can't put them down. I guess "The Country Fair" and "The Haunted Rectory" are next.

Jennifer C
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Feb 11 2007 at 8:02pm | IP Logged Quote Jennifer C

Well, I've been reading non-stop since january 1, but never take time to stop & share. Most of my reading is done late at night, so it's really "escape" literature - I've gotten into Anne Perry - delightful Victorian mystery series (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt and Inspector Monk). I also started reading Dr. Bob Royal's new book, "The God that Did Not Fail: How religion Built and Sustains the West". He covers the history of ideas from the Greeks, through the Middle Ages and Renaissance, $ the Enlightenment. It looks like he wraps up w/a discussion on Islam & how the West is to cope with this challenge. He has agreed to talk to my prayer & study group during Lent and we've been very interested in the whole Muslim issue, so this could be very interesting.
   I also bought Dr. Royal's recent book "the Pope's Army: 500 year hstory of the Swiss Guard". Dr. Royal came to our Catholic School and spoke about the book, to the great delight of over 400 students. I'm encouraging him to do a version for children. (Did you know that you have to be a Swiss citizen to be in the Swiss Guard? the boys were very disappointed about that.)
    I just bought several books by Matthew kelly. Has anyone read him? I got "Rediscovering Catholicism" and one on intimacy. There were good reviews on Amazon, but I certainly value the opinions here more than those.
     Finally, I bought "Honor: A history" by James Bowman. Jim is a friend of mine and I've heard him talk about this book for the last several years. We had discussions about the code of honor and issues related to the Western concept of honor. I did not realize (very limited and narrow discussion, obviously) that the thrust of the book is about understanding the cultural differences of honor between the West and the Arab world - again the Islamic issue. So, I'll have quite a few reviews due to you guys when I finish the stack of books here. Bear with me because my escape lit is easy to read but what I've bought is the type of reading that needs an alert mind and time to process. I look forward to sharing my thoughts. blessings, jennifer
Back to Top View Jennifer C's Profile Search for other posts by Jennifer C

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 12 2007 at 10:16pm | IP Logged Quote Chari

Welcome, Jennifer! I am glad you popped in here to share!

Your books certainly DO look heavy! I look forward to hearing your reviews.

I started heavy last year........but I am just WAY too tired this year

Put Matthew Kelly in the search above and you should find a thread or two about him and his books.

Blessings!

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 09 2007 at 8:28pm | IP Logged Quote Chari

Okay......a bit late, but February is now over

anyone finish up any books?

I just finished Katherine Valentine's first book A Miracle for St. Cecelia's.....I know, I am a johnny-come-lately

I actually liked her writing style better than the Mitford's series because it just seened to flow more, was a bit less rough. The Mitford books may be a bit funnier......but I LOVE that the faith part of KV's book fits MY faith. Now, to find the second book. I guess I am reading travel guides too much and bits and pieces of other books, too so that's it for me.

How about you?

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 09 2007 at 8:43pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

I finished The Silver Donkey.
that book! It's a mosaic for whole families.

I started reading Dickins' The Old Curiosity Shop which will probably take me through March and April at the pace I go. I have so many books on the side that I read...you know...spiritual and educational books.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 10 2007 at 7:42am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

I've been pre-reading a bunch of classic read-alouds to pick which ones will work best for the family....

but I did just start a book yesterday that y'all would enjoy. I was at a Catholic conference yesterday and Dale Ahlquist, president of the American Chesterton Society who used to be an Evangelical Baptist until he started reading Chesterton!

Anyway, his bookApostle of Common Sense is an amazing read -- very easy to jump into (even after being in a "classroom" all day) and great intro to GK! The sequel, Common Sense 101, looks great too. After reading these I think GK might be a bit more manageable for this old broad

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

mary theresa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 10 2007 at 3:54pm | IP Logged Quote mary theresa

I just finished THE HEART OF THE MATTER by Graham Greene. Has anyone else read this? I loved it! Graham Greene is so intriguing to me with his look at the human heart and sin and God's mercy. I read THE POWER AND THE GLORY and THE BURNT-OUT CASE by him last year.

On a less dark note I have been reading Stephanie Barron's Jane Austen mysteries, the first two so far, based on rec.'s from this forum. If I pretend they are not about j. austen I can handle them pretty well. Some of the lines seem to be taken straight from the "real" books and that tends to bother me. No body can hold a candle to the real woman! But they are fun books.

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 11 2007 at 10:27pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Jennifer C wrote:
   and have 2 of Bob Royal's books, THE POPE'S ARMY: 500 Year History of the Swiss Guard and his latest on the influence of Christianity on the preservation of civilization.
    I'll let you know when I've finished these, but hope to get great ideas from everyone here.
    Jennifer C. in Arlington, VA

Jennifer
Would these be suitable for a 13yr old girl?

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Kristen in TN
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 20 2007 at 11:13pm | IP Logged Quote Kristen in TN

I love this thread but never post because my reading usually consists of school books. However this last week I read a book that I have been wanting to read since I was little. LITTLE WOMEN. It started out just to be a chapter or two a night. By the 4th or 5th something got into me and I just had to know who married who. I finished the rest of the book in a day and a half.

Also, POCKETFUL OF PINECONES by Karen Andreola. That book was stated a few years ago and this month I read it all. Interestingly enough in the end notes she writes about her great-grandmother living in a Victorian house in New Jersey on Rt. 9. I wrote to Mrs. Andreola and asked her where that was since I lived near Rt. 9 in NJ until my early twenties. To my surprise, yesterday in the mail there was a letter from Mrs. Andreola and that house was about 8 miles from where I grew up and I know that area well. She said my letter made her day. Isn't that sweet?

I also read one of Catherine Levinson's books on Charlotte Mason education and am reading Karen Andreola's book on the subject now. I never did finish that one either, but hope to in the coming month. I'm enjoying the refresher.

God bless,
Kristen in TN
Back to Top View Kristen in TN's Profile Search for other posts by Kristen in TN Visit Kristen in TN's Homepage

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 10 2007 at 3:12pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

I just finished an interesting book The Return to Treasure Island and the Search for Captain Kidd by Barry Clifford.

It's sort of a jacques Cousteau type book, looking for some of the sunken pirate ships in the Carribean, esp. one attributed to Captain Kidd, who was supposedly the inspiration for Robert Louis Stevenson's Treasure Island. Chapters on the present-day search for the ships alternate with chapters on the life of Capt Kidd.

The other book I read was the latest katharine valentine novel County Fair. It was OK, but it seems like the last couple of books in the series were not as good as the first ones IMO. I think she said this was the last one. I haven't read Haunted rectory yet but just ordered it from Amazon since our library doesn't have it.

I just picked up today Red Badge of Courage to pre-read before ds14 does. I think I read it in hs but can't remember it.

Karen T
Back to Top View Karen T's Profile Search for other posts by Karen T

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 27 2007 at 8:09am | IP Logged Quote momwise

The Farm by Lough Gur...Finished just during Lent. This book is a sort of Irish version of the Around the Year book by Maria von Trapp, although on a little more earthy level. Sissy O'Brien grew up on the family farm in Lough Gur during the mid-1800s, along with her siblings, parents and the household help. Mother ran the household, father cared for the land and animals, each with his/her trusted servants; the farm was self-sufficient in spinning, weaving, soap-making, food, herbal remedies, etc.; parents always cared for the less fortunate renters on the property, i.e. the sick, orphaned, poor, etc.; those in need always received something at the door...in fact there was a special place for them to be received and eat and drink and it seems there were visitors and travellers very frequently. There was a Rosary recited in the kitchen for everyone each night, servants included, except on All Saints' day when the Litany of the Dead was prayed. Lots more of those little tidbits.

Then I became totally engrossed in the Mother Angelica biographyby Raymond Arroyo. Oh my that was a good book. Very good also for tying up a lot of loose ends. For instance after seeing the gorgeous new convent, now I actually know what it took to build it. Or what was really going on behind the scenes during the World Youth day girl Jesus at the Stations of the Cross. But what really fascinated me was Mother's upbringing and the relationship between her and her mother...I had no idea her mother had been a nun at the convent until her death....and how deeply her death hurt Mother Angelica. Her stories of God's providence were incredible!

During Holy Week I read the the Day Christ Died by Jim Bishop. If you've never read it, especially during Holy Week , I really recommend it. I haven't come across another Catholic book quite like it--it mixes the Passion narratives in fiction form with non-fiction chapters about the customs and daily life of the Jews in Israel when Jesus lived.

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 27 2007 at 10:01am | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

I just finished Overachievers: The Secret Life of Driven Kids which was a horrifying look at (mostly) high schools/college application process in America although it also touches on education in other countries and pre-school applications too. YIKES!

In the midst of angst about whether I am smart enough to homeschool my kids, this book made me wonder if the only thing worse than my homeschooling them would be sending them to school

thepojtoo
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: April 29 2007 at 12:57am | IP Logged Quote thepojtoo

I just finished War and Peace by Tolstoy. I enjoyed it and was struck by the complete integration of faith and church life in the early 1800's Russia. Even the battle explainations were interesting. The contrast of military strategy was thought provoking. A truly great book on life at the time in Russia.
Back to Top View thepojtoo's Profile Search for other posts by thepojtoo

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version