Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Easter Vigil Notebooks Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Karen E.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 26 2005 at 6:00pm | IP Logged Quote Karen E.

alicegunther wrote:
Yesterday, my husband said he couldn't believe how much the girls are looking forward to the Easter Vigil and then added that he hadn't heard a word from them about the bunny or chocolates!

Alice,

I wish I could see them! I know you'll all have a beautiful and blessed night. Happy, holy Easter to you all.

p.s. Tracy -- thanks so much for the Easter Vigil Poem! I love it.

Visit my blog, with its shockingly clever title, "Karen Edmisten."
Back to Top View Karen E.'s Profile Search for other posts by Karen E. Visit Karen E.'s Homepage

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 27 2005 at 7:38am | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

Happy and Blessed Easter all!

Well, last night's Easter Vigil was BEAUTIFUL! I was so proud as my entire family headed out to Mass. My dh sang the Exultet last night so incredibly beautiful. I prayed him through it.    I was praying to St. Blaise for his throat (as incense grips the vocal chords!). And prayed to our Lord that the Exultet would be a wonderful blessing to all there! And it WAS! I sat there, a proud wife!

Then I sat there a proud mom too as my children sang with a very adult choir. The boys sang tenor, and added so much to the choir. Sarah, all of 9 years old (almost 10), looking SO pretty, and singing Mozart's Alleluia! Sheesh! The blessing this choir brings to our family is just amazing!

My brother in law and nephew as they sounded the trumpets!!! Wow! I have chills thinking about it!

The readings were so beautiful, and the renewal of our Baptismal promises always makes me cry, as does singing *Jesus Christ is Risen Today*.

The part that ALWAYS makes me almost sob in exhausted relief and joy is our very FIRST ALLELUIA that we sing, just before the Gospel reading, and the lights come on, and we go from darkness to light, somber to PURE JOY! It's the place where I most like we're truly singing with the angels!!!

I love how most of Marty's family comes to that Mass, and how we're all together there. It's just SO special!

What a beautiful and glorious celebration!!!!

Praying all of you have a Blessed and very Happy Easter!   

homeschooling in 15th year in Buffalo, NY
Back to Top View TracyQ's Profile Search for other posts by TracyQ

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 28 2005 at 6:44pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Alice and all who participated in this beautiful Easter Vigil project. How blessed we all are. I'm so anxious to hear about everyone else's experience with their Parish's Easter Vigil, and Alice I'm sure your family was truly blessed by this project as we all were.

We had a marvleous and deeply spiritual Easter Vigil and were so proud to watch our daughter (who has worked so hard on her vigil project) get to serve at this holy service! What a wonderful faith we have.

The vigil came alive for our family like it never has before.

I am having Emma make a narration of her experience, sort of notation style and I'll have her finish this year's notebook with this inserted at the end with her sweet and holy decorations and pictures. It will be like true friend to re-visit every year and add to as she gets older. I hope everyone who participated gained as much as we did, Alice the hugs and gratitude are coming your way and again thank you for all your beautiful work on this.

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

Wendi DeGrandpr
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 28 2005 at 8:14pm | IP Logged Quote Wendi DeGrandpr

I just wanted to say thank you to Alice and all of you who posted ideas to add to this notebook. My daughters loved doing it and we are looking forward to doing it again next year. There were a lot of things I would add - more memorization and copywork etc - but we only began it two weeks before the vigil so I am very happy with the results of their efforts this year. Mostly I am thrilled that we all learned so much and they really loved attending the Easter Vigil. (I also heard nothing about bunnies and candy this year.) They both sing in the choir and were able to see everything from the choir loft. We have had wonderful discussions all through the process.
So thank you again - I very much look forward to sharing more ideas as we celebrate our faith throughout the year.
God Bless,
Wendi
dh John, dd Kelsea, dd Jordan, dd Katiana, ds Raphael
Back to Top View Wendi DeGrandpr's Profile Search for other posts by Wendi DeGrandpr

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: March 28 2005 at 9:00pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

My dd and ds (10) went to the vigil at the National Basilica with my father. My dh directed Mass for EWTN. (Incidentally, both children got a little air time on TV too ) Mary Beth showed her notebook to the crew in the production truck and she was thrilled to have something meaningful to show Grandpa while they waited for Mass to begin. We have lots of ideas for things we'll add next year. I barely scratched the surface of Alice's plans. But, boy, what a way to build the anticipation! Alice, I can't thank you enough.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

materdei7
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 31 2005 at 5:44pm | IP Logged Quote materdei7

Thank you Alice, for all the ideas and inspiration to start this Easter vigil book. My children enjoyed working on it and even though the three oldest were actively participating by being the altar servers, they noticed the prayers spoken throughout the service...living what they had learned!!! My youngest daughter brought her book to church and followed along the entire Mass...4 hours long!!
We can still add on to the book next year, but, what about finishing up the Easter Season with the addition
of the Ascension and Pentecost(Confirmation any one?)??
Warmly, Kathleen

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 31 2005 at 9:30pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Dear Friends,

I can't tell you how great it is to read your posts and hear about your Easter Vigil experiences. It has been a joy working on this project with you, and I am already looking forward to the additions and ideas we will share next year.

The girls and I really enjoyed the Vigil this year, and I know we will never miss it again. They loved using their books to follow along, and every prayer and action of the priest meant so much to them. One of my favorite moments came after Mass when we passed several of the catecumens and candidates. They were standing in a group chatting, and I congratulated them, telling them that we had been praying for them during their preparation. With that, my daughters added such heartfelt best wishes--it was as if they were our family. The group was astonished when the girls rattled off all their names and told them how happy we were to meet them. It really seemed to mean a lot to them to know that these young girls knew of them and had been praying for them.

We have a wonderful pastor, but I still felt a bit sheepish asking him if we could take home some blessed flame from the Easter candle in our little homemade lantern. When I finally approached to ask his permission, he seemed to love the idea and lit our lantern himself. It was such a lovely and surreal experience to drive home with that little Easter light flickering in the car. I know it made a lasting impression on the girls. We used the blessed flame to light our homemade Easter candle and, along with my husband (who had been home with the little ones), carried it through every single room of the house, singing Easter hymns. Thanks to Lara Muse, our candle actually has five grains of incense attached to it, just like the big candle in church. Thanks once again, Lara, you are too kind!

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 01 2005 at 8:58am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Alice, it's great to hear of your experiences too and we were and are all so blessed to have participated in this wonderful project. Looking forward to next year also. I love that you were able to carry your flame home. We used our small white candles that the parish handed out for everyone to light our own personal baptismal candles for our Easter dinner celebration and the kids thought that was very special. Many wishes for an Easter season filled with more joy. *JMJ*

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 20 2007 at 9:29pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Dear friends,

It has been two years, and our family is ready to re-visit the Easter Vigil Notebook this year. I have decided to have the children complete the notebooks from scratch rather than add on to the old ones, allowing my First Communicant to use hers as an in depth study of the Mass. (She was only five the last time around, so most of this will be completely new to her.)

You do not need much more than paper and binders to get started, so I hope some of you will consider joining us!

[The boards will be closed for the first ten days of Lent, but if you decide to begin this project and need encouragement or have questions, I hope you will not hesitate to contact me privately.]

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

onemoretracy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 02 2009 at 8:22am | IP Logged Quote onemoretracy

We are attending our first Easter Vigil as a family and I am so thankful to have discovered this thread from a couple of years ago. We have begun the notebooks and I was wondering if anyone else is working on this too.

DS Ryan-9
DS Luke-6
DD Laine-6
DD Mary Clare-3
DD Sara (Dec.6 '08)
My Blog
Back to Top View onemoretracy's Profile Search for other posts by onemoretracy

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 5
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version