Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Easter Vigil Notebooks Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 12 2005 at 8:19am | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Wendi! Thank you so much for this information. What a great price. I should pick up a book or two to give to my godchildren for Easter.

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

lilac hill
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 14 2005 at 2:51pm | IP Logged Quote lilac hill

Since the older girls are singing in the choir for the Vigil, that is the mass we will be attending. Brigid is getting an appreciation for the service and its beauty. I hope this will make the evening memorable.
I am learnong so much too,
Thanks

Wife to Rick (7/83), Mom to dd#1(6/87), dd#2(1/90), and dd#3(6/94) in central PA.
Back to Top View lilac hill's Profile Search for other posts by lilac hill

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 14 2005 at 7:32pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Dear Viv,

I am thrilled to read this--thanks very much. My girls just finished the third section of their notebooks. We will be starting on the Liturgy of the Eucharist tomorrow. I am so happy we've had the chance to do this project and very grateful to this group for all the encouragement.

Love, Alice

Cottage Blessings
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 15 2005 at 6:49pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Hi Alice, are you thinking of publishing this work of art yet???

I just wanted to update you on our progression. This is such a beautiful and thoughtful project I wish that lent were another 40 days so my dd and I could do it in it's entirety, but alas with Easter and new baby just around the corner we will re-visit it many times in the years to come.

We are in the middle of the 9 readings and my daughter is so enjoying doing her own illustrations to represent each along with writing out the responsorial psalm for each reading in her beautiful cursive. She picked out this beautiful olive green cardstock and her copywork for the psalms is in silver colored pencil, it's very ethereal.
We have included our Prayer intention page for our parish, there are 3 candidates/catechumens this year and Emma has really enjoyed praying for them as well as others she included on her list.
Her pages for the beginning of the study are also very creative, we loved your idea of the flames from tissue paper for the candles, and she really loved doing the Exsultet (we had to do just the first three stanza's in light of time) but they are superb and very meaningful to her.

We hope to finish up the readings section and really work on the remainder of the study by finishing the Easter Story and (at my dd's suggestion) "we could maybe finish the rest after Easter mom!!" And I of course said, "Yes we could!!"

Thank you again Alice for this beautiful project. I look forward to doing it several more times in the years to come with Emma and my other up and coming children. Big hugs coming your way

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 16 2005 at 7:45am | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Wow, Meredith, your daughter's project sounds beautiful. I would love to see your daughter's psalm pages.

We are working on the LIturgy of the Eucharist this week, although I am sure we will be doing more next week than I had originally planned. This week has turned out to be very busy with St. Patrick's Day and my daughters practicing for the parish Passion Play. During practice the other day, my eldest daughter noticed the little wax nails holding the grains of incense in the Paschal candle and was very excited.

It's been so much fun working on this project with all of you. Now if only we could get together to browse each other's books. I would be interested to see how each child's takes on a special look all its own.

Cottage Blessings

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 16 2005 at 8:53am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Alice wouldn't that be great! I'm sure they would all be equally as proud as well because this really is their living faith, another blessing of home schooling

Wish you could come for a latte this morning, my husband makes us each one every morning, it's like heaven on earth especially if I'm lacking in the sleep department.

Let's all keep sharing this special project.

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 16 2005 at 9:02am | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

happyheartsmom wrote:

Wish you could come for a latte this morning, my husband makes us each one every morning, it's like heaven on earth especially if I'm lacking in the sleep department.

Boy, so do I!!!

Cottage Blessings

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: March 23 2005 at 9:27am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

In my feeble attempt to do this project this year (with promises to do a much better job next year), I found these beautiful photos of the Holy Father which we will use in our notebooksTribute to the Holy Father

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 23 2005 at 10:15am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

If you're following Alice's Easter Vigil ideas and decorated or bought a Paschal candle, these recipes might be nice to display the candle as the Easter centerpiece. Both of these cakes call for a tube pan so that the "Lumen Christi" fits in the middle, thereby making a centerpiece.

Easter Cake
Easter Spice Ring

A blessed Holy Week to all.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 23 2005 at 10:18am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I'm posting this here, since the use of symbols has been mentioned for the Notebook.

I found the best explanation/incorporation of the symbol of the Easter bunny or rabbit by Women for Faith and Family. BTW, if you haven't checked out their site for Liturgical Year information, you're missing out!

Women for Faith and Family, Holy Saturday.

About Easter Bunnies:
"The Christian symbolism of Easter bunnies might seem pretty obscure, and it's easy to suppose that the rabbits are simply a pagan symbol of fecundity taken over by Christianity. Even if so, bear in mind that the ancestors of pre-Christian (even pre-historic) pagans at some time knew about the true God ­ Adam and Eve and Noah, for example. Pagan beliefs about God's action in the world and about man's true destiny were far from the truth, of course, but many things can be understood through basic human intelligence ­ and that intelligence comes from God. The coming of spring is a cause for rejoicing for everybody, whether Christians or non-Christians. The Easter bunny is actually a pretty good symbol of God's plan for his creatures (including humans) to "be fruitful and multiply," and of the renewed exhuberance of all creatures in cooperating with God in creating new life. (The Easter bunny might seem to be more a metaphor for God's plan for His creation in Genesis than in the Gospels.) Maybe we should think of the fecundity of rabbits as a symbol of evangelizing, and the many new believers God desires. We could think of the eggs the Easter Rabbit carrys in a basket as representing Christians carrying the message of Christ into the world.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 24 2005 at 2:38pm | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

With all of my injuries this Lent, much of what I really wanted and planned to do went down the drain. We didn't get to do our Easter Vigil notebooks as I SO wanted to do, and I'm very disappointed.

But I keep thinking about a wonderful wise lady in the prayer forum telling me what her wonderful Godmother once told her when she'd had a year like this. She said that sometimes WE choose our Lent, and sometimes the Lord chooses it for us.

I was either on a heating pad or in a sling this entire Lenten season, and we ALL had quite a different Lent chosen for us by our Lord. We're grateful for lessons learned of suffering, sacrifice, and service; lessons we are continuing to learn even today. And we're thankful for this place in which we always learn beautiful things about our Faith, which is so precious to us.

I have this Easter Vigil lesson plan all copied out, and waiting for NEXT Lenten season, when we WILL use it, and make the most beautiful Easter Vigil notebooks we can! I'll be on the lookout for some extras too that we can put in if we want, like one I found today which is the free Catholic How to Draw lessons at CHC. We'll add art, music, etc. and maybe we'll even make them into Easter Triduum notebooks.

I'm disappointed, but looking forward to next year, when we can participate in this wonderful Easter study of our Holy Faith.

homeschooling in 15th year in Buffalo, NY
Back to Top View TracyQ's Profile Search for other posts by TracyQ

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 24 2005 at 3:10pm | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

Easter Vigil poem

I found this nice Easter Vigil poem at CHC and thought it might be very nice for the Easter Vigil notebooks.

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 24 2005 at 4:42pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Tracy, I love that poem--thanks so much!

Tracy, you should not feel the least bit bad about not doing this project this Lent. You have been through so much--I don't know how you've been able to do anything at all lately!

With the years flying by as quickly as they do, next Lent will be here before we all know it. We will certainly be adding to our notebooks, and I'll be starting new ones with my younger children. I'll look forward to revisiting this project with you next year!

Cottage Blessings

cashioncrew
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: March 25 2005 at 1:00am | IP Logged Quote cashioncrew

I have done some but not as much as I would have liked with the Easter Vigil Notebook , but there is always next year and I, too, will have all of this printed out and ready! Thank you Alice for sharing ALL of this! I also wanted to share something that was sent to me. I'll include the link (hopefully correctly so that you all can go straight to it, but this is my first time doing the hyperlink thing , so I'm not sure I'll get it!) Janette, if you read this maybe you can send my file that I sent you because I don't know how to do that either   !

Stations of the Cross for Young Children

I just reviewed my post and I think that I did it!!!

I put these in a word file and I think that I am going to have the kids illustrate these or color some stations of the cross coloring book pictures (for those that are art challenged!)to make their own Stations of the Cross book!

Enjoy and Happy Easter!

In Him,

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 25 2005 at 8:10am | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Many thanks, Stephanie!

And thanks also for the great link.

Cottage Blessings

Karen E.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 25 2005 at 10:59am | IP Logged Quote Karen E.

TracyQ wrote:

I was either on a heating pad or in a sling this entire Lenten season, and we ALL had quite a different Lent chosen for us by our Lord.

Tracy,

It sounds as if you're already approaching your unexpected Lent with an accepting and peaceful heart, but I just wanted to add that if you've never read "Abandonment to Divine Providence" by Jean Pierre de Caussade, it's a wonderful book to build on your attitude of acceptance.

He stresses living "in the sacrament of the moment" and accepting that all things that come to us are foreseen and sent by our Lord, and that by cheerfully accepting everything, we grow in sanctity and grow closer to our Lord.

Have a blessed Triduum,

Visit my blog, with its shockingly clever title, "Karen Edmisten."
Back to Top View Karen E.'s Profile Search for other posts by Karen E. Visit Karen E.'s Homepage

TracyQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 25 2005 at 5:29pm | IP Logged Quote TracyQ

A definite lesson I'm learning, Karen, but am always in the process of learning. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll have to look for that one!

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 25 2005 at 6:09pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Elizabeth, I am loving the pictures of the Pope you sent recently. They will definitely be included in our last minute embellishments tomorrow.

Cottage Blessings

Karen E.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 25 2005 at 6:11pm | IP Logged Quote Karen E.

TracyQ wrote:

A definite lesson I'm learning, Karen, but am always in the process of learning.

I think it's the lesson we're all learning, Tracy. It's a lifelong one ....

Visit my blog, with its shockingly clever title, "Karen Edmisten."
Back to Top View Karen E.'s Profile Search for other posts by Karen E. Visit Karen E.'s Homepage

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 26 2005 at 5:06pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Well, we are almost ready to leave for the Easter Vigil. The girls look so pretty in their new pink dresses, and I have rarely seen them more alive with anticipation. Yesterday, my husband said he couldn't believe how much the girls are looking forward to the Easter Vigil and then added that he hadn't heard a word from them about the bunny or chocolates!

Have a blessed and holy night tonight!

Cottage Blessings

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version