Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Literature (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Living Literature
Subject Topic: Christmas in the Trenches Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 21 2006 at 1:49pm | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

A new(er) book by John McCutcheon. I just saw an artile for it in my Diocese paper. Has anyone here read it?

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 21 2006 at 5:33pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

Paula, paula...

I went to look this up on the library catalog and they were all checked out. Come to find out the one from my branch is in my library basket here at home.

We will dig it out tonight (a metaphor for what we've been doing all day ) and read it and I'll let you know. It comes with a CD but not sure what's on it.

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 21 2006 at 6:09pm | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

Thanks Gwen. Us Grandmothers need to stick together! Your snow made it here - I'll be digging tomorrow!!

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 21 2006 at 6:45pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

We currently have the book, too. I got it for Veteran's Day but held off reading it until a couple weeks ago, since I thought it did fit better with Christmas. It is a well done picture book - not much detail which is probably good for the younger ones since war can be hard to cover. The story behind the book - how a group of German and English troops had a cease-fire on Christmas Eve during WWI. They got together and shared food, small gifts, played soccer, and the singing of Silent Night in German and English. The story in the book is told from the view point of a fictional English grandpa telling the story to his grandchildren. There is a tape that goes along with it - the story read by the author, a version of Silent Night sung in both English and German, and a version of the folk song that the author first wrote which inspired him to write the picture book.

Another children's book version of the same story - War Game which I think was made into a short movie. This one emphaizes the soccer game which isn't the focus of the McCutcheon version.

Another book (not children's though) on the Christmas truce - Silent Night: The Story of the World War I Christmas Truce

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Kathryn UK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 22 2006 at 3:02am | IP Logged Quote Kathryn UK

We read War Game recently and I put a review on my blog here.

Back to Top View Kathryn UK's Profile Search for other posts by Kathryn UK

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version