Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Epiphany ideas? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 04 2007 at 11:11am | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

BrendaPeter wrote:
You & me both Cheryl - impressed with Alice that is! I took my kids food shopping with me yesterday & loaded up the cart with all kinds of goodies - things we literally NEVER buy. Their eyes were practically popping out of their heads & they seemed to be saying "Has mom gone mad?" I kept thinking I should explain to the cashier that we normally buy healthy, simple foods & that I only purchased such extravagances for a very special occasion !

Thank you all so much!!!

Yes, the Christmas Tea has a kid-pleasingly sweet dessert, not to mention a round of candy canes to top it off, but fear not healthy eaters, the Lenten Teas are just round the corner!   

It does my heart so much good to know that you wonderful mommies are doing this with your children. What joy you have given me!!!

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Jan 04 2007 at 12:53pm | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

JennGM wrote:
In the original Latin it is "creaturam istam cretae" -- creature could also be translated as servant.

Thanks, Jenn! I knew you'd have an answer for us!   

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 07 2007 at 11:40pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

A bit late - but we just read this book last night - Carol of the Brown King. It is 5 nativity poems by Langston Hughes. In three of them the wise men figure prominantly. The illustrations are very bright and vibrant. I thought it was a lovely book for Epiphany.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

KellyinPA
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 08 2007 at 8:54am | IP Logged Quote KellyinPA

Not too late, Mary We can put it into our files for next year.

the abundant life
Back to Top View KellyinPA's Profile Search for other posts by KellyinPA

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 09 2007 at 8:18am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

We had a great Epiphany party with my family, although I'm still recovering. The house is put back in order except for vacuuming, but I'm pooped!

This was the original description of what our family does on Epiphany

And here are some snapshots and descriptions and pictures of our King Cakes.

What was new this year was the censor with incense (frankincense and myrrh of course), the candles (supplied by MaryM, thank you), and the treasure chests. I didn't do crowns this year, but I think the gifts idea is an even better plan. I want to elaborate next year, and have the children put into the boxes their gifts for Baby Jesus (resolutions, spiritual bouquets), perhaps in some ways that resembles gold, and has some scents of the f. and m. Decorating them would be nice. The boxes were so inexpensive at the unfinished wood department in the craft stores (thank you Alice for pointing that out), so I just picked up a few. I'm glad I didn't stick to the idea of just three.

And I know this happens to much in the atrium, but it was just so marvellous to see how reverent the children were. And the spontaneous gesture of kneeling before the manger when presenting the gift just moved me to tears.

We use colored chalk to show up on the white door frame, and we do it on the inside. Ideally each king has a different color, and the numbers and crosses are a separate color, but it never seems to work out as planned.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 30 2011 at 2:35am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Bumping some old Epiphany threads - full of great ideas to prepare for next weeks feast day.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 3
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version