Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Epiphany ideas? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 31 2006 at 7:34pm | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

alicegunther wrote:
Here is our Tea for the Twelve Days of Christmas and the Epiphany.

I went food shopping this afternoon and found everything I needed for the tea. I was very impressed with your knowledge, Alice. I never even saw a Pepperidge Farm Gingerman before...and there it was on the store shelf. I think my dc are going to love this!

Back to Top View Cheryl's Profile Search for other posts by Cheryl Visit Cheryl's Homepage

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 01 2007 at 2:26pm | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

alicegunther wrote:

Thanks so much Alice! I'm hoping to do this with the kids next Saturday. I'll let you know how it goes!

Brenda (mom to 6)
Back to Top View BrendaPeter's Profile Search for other posts by BrendaPeter

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 01 2007 at 9:49pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

JennGM wrote:

We use blessed chalk to makr over the doors 20 + C + M + B + 07. Father walks around the house sprinkling with holy water, we all sing "We Three Kings

We did this last year and amazingly the chalk on the outdoor "doorpost" is still the same as it was a year ago.   Is it ok to scrub it off to make room for the new blessing?

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 01 2007 at 10:26pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

momwise wrote:
JennGM wrote:

We use blessed chalk to makr over the doors 20 + C + M + B + 07. Father walks around the house sprinkling with holy water, we all sing "We Three Kings

We did this last year and amazingly the chalk on the outdoor "doorpost" is still the same as it was a year ago.   Is it ok to scrub it off to make room for the new blessing?

I hope so, because that's what we do. We don't scrub it until Epiphany time!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 02 2007 at 9:32am | IP Logged Quote momwise

JennGM wrote:
momwise wrote:

I hope so, because that's what we do. We don't scrub it until Epiphany time!

Good...now what do you do with the leftover Blessed Chalk?

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 02 2007 at 11:13am | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

momwise wrote:
JennGM wrote:

We're very "classy" - my dh will wipe off the 6 with his finger & replace it with a 7 .

Brenda (mom to 6)

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 02 2007 at 3:24pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

momwise wrote:
Good...now what do you do with the leftover Blessed Chalk?

We save it and use it next year. We've had Father bless the same chalk from year to year. I just keep it with the other Epiphany accouterments.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 02 2007 at 3:44pm | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

alicegunther wrote:

Does anyone have a angel pattern for tracing the tissue-paper angels? Thx!

Brenda (mom to 6)

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 03 2007 at 11:28am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I posted our King cake recipe and a new recipe that I found for those that have food allergy requirements Epiphany Cake.

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Jan 03 2007 at 12:11pm | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

Well, it dawned on me that maybe I should share what our local group is doing for Epiphany!   

The kids will use a combination of construction and wrapping paper (but felt would be nice too) to make Three Wisemen.

Using plain 1 1/4" wooden cubes (inspired by Alice's Advent Cubes), paint and ribbons, and glittery pom poms for bows, each child will make a "present" for the baby Jesus. On a gift tag, he can then write what sacrifice or small act he is bringing to the Child. A small string can be hot-glued to these gifts so that they can be hung on next year's tree, or they can be placed as-is in the manger next to the creche.

The kids will add Hershey's Kissables to frosted cupcakes, making edible "crowns."

We'll also have coloring pages for the kids, read-alouds, blessing of chalk (by our priest), and (hopefully) sing We Three Kings.

I want to say a special "thank you!" to Alice, because it is her blogging this year (recounting their teatime and feast day gatherings) that has inspired our group to begin gathering again too.   

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Jan 03 2007 at 12:45pm | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

My mother made these felt banners when I was a child. (Note the 70s green.) They are large (18" x 3 feet) and are embellished with small beads, sequins, jewels, and metallic ribbons.

She never made the 3rd king, but did make his gift:

I had hoped to finish these before Epiphany this year and hang them somewhere noticeable. (I still have a few days!    )

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 03 2007 at 12:50pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Oh, those are so neat, Janette!

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 03 2007 at 1:16pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

cathhomeschool wrote:
Well, it dawned on me that maybe I should share what our local group is doing for Epiphany!   

I'm so glad you did! - Great ideas!

cathhomeschool wrote:

The kids will add Hershey's Kissables to frosted cupcakes, making edible "crowns."

I love this idea - what a perfect use of Kissables! Very simple, too. Might actually pull that off.

cathhomeschool wrote:

I want to say a special "thank you!" to Alice, because it is her blogging this year (recounting their teatime and feast day gatherings) that has inspired our group to begin gathering again too.   

What a tribute to Alice. And a thank you to her for the Advent cubes post especially. That first idea has sparked so many additional ideas. I'll bet the wooden cube industry is thriving. They owe you a big thank you, too, Alice!!

cathhomeschool wrote:
My mother made these felt banners when I was a child. (Note the 70s green.) They are large (18" x 3 feet) and are embellished with small beads, sequins, jewels, and metallic ribbons.

I think they are gorgeous - I'm partial to 70's green - brings back lots of great childhood memories!

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 03 2007 at 1:43pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

MaryM wrote:

cathhomeschool wrote:

I think they are gorgeous - I'm partial to 70's green - brings back lots of great childhood memories!

I can tolerate the green, but it's the 70s orange that I can't stand! My mother had some of that, but then switched to the blues and green which I liked better.

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 03 2007 at 2:04pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

cathhomeschool wrote:

Wow, thank you so much! That is just wonderful.

I so love your mother's banners! How beautiful!

Thanks to you also, Mary. In the hands of all of you creative and talented women, those plain wooden cubes are *far more* beautiful than anything I ever could have dreamt up. You ladies know how to make a silk purse from a sow's ear, that's for sure!

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Jan 03 2007 at 3:15pm | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

JennGM wrote:
I can tolerate the green, but it's the 70s orange that I can't stand! My mother had some of that, but then switched to the blues and green which I liked better.

Though the third king is unfinished, my mother did cut out his robes and buy ribbon embelishments in.... 70s orange!      She did encourage me to start over with him since he's not glued down or anything, but I just can't! I've spent too many Christmases looking at his unfinshed self to not use him now. Too much sentimental value there. I'll be sure to post when he's complete!   

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Jan 03 2007 at 4:39pm | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

Does anyone know what is meant by "creature chalk" in the Blessing of Chalk: "Bless, O Lord God, this creature chalk to render it helpful to men..." Why creature?

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 03 2007 at 4:54pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

cathhomeschool wrote:
Does anyone know what is meant by "creature chalk" in the Blessing of Chalk: "Bless, O Lord God, this creature chalk to render it helpful to men..." Why creature?

In the original Latin it is "creaturam istam cretae" -- creature could also be translated as servant.

I'm no theologian or Latin scholar, but it seems it just means anything that can be used or dominated by man has this term in the old Roman Ritual. Also using the name "creature" doesn't mean living being, but just something created, with an origin, to differentiate from God, with no beginning. Chalk originally was from the earth.

Margaret in MN
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 04 2007 at 6:13am | IP Logged Quote Margaret in MN

alicegunther wrote:

Alice, this tea is just wonderful! We will definitely be doing it this Saturday! (God willing, of course. )

PS. Do you know what Meredith meant when she referred to "True Epiphany Thursday" in her comment on your post?

Come for Coffee
Back to Top View Margaret in MN's Profile Search for other posts by Margaret in MN Visit Margaret in MN's Homepage

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 04 2007 at 10:36am | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

Cheryl wrote:
alicegunther wrote:

I went food shopping this afternoon and found everything I needed for the tea. I was very impressed with your knowledge, Alice. I never even saw a Pepperidge Farm Gingerman before...and there it was on the store shelf.

You & me both Cheryl - impressed with Alice that is! I took my kids food shopping with me yesterday & loaded up the cart with all kinds of goodies - things we literally NEVER buy. Their eyes were practically popping out of their heads & they seemed to be saying "Has mom gone mad?" I kept thinking I should explain to the cashier that we normally buy healthy, simple foods & that I only purchased such extravagances for a very special occasion !

Brenda (mom to 6)

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version