Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Christmas Mosaic Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 18 2006 at 10:25pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

For now I'm just curious...

Is anyone interested in a Christmas Mosaic book?

If so, what would be your 12-hit (perhaps 24 even ) picks for Christmas picture books?

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 19 2006 at 5:57am | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

YES YES YES YES YES YES!!!

We love *The Jesse Tree* and especially *A Small Miracle*.   

Marybeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 19 2006 at 8:08am | IP Logged Quote Marybeth

Yes!!!!!!!!!

We would cherish it!

Any books would be either old friends or welcomed new ones for our family.

Mb

kjohnson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 19 2006 at 8:32am | IP Logged Quote kjohnson

That is an excellent idea, Cay. Our family would love it. I don't think I have a top 12 or 24 (which is why I could benefit from a Christmas Mosaic), but I would say The Miracle of Saint Nicholas, The Baker's Dozen, The Donkey's Dream, The Legend of the Candy Cane and De Paola's The Lady of Guadalupe and his book on the 3 wise men (can't remember the name of it).

I agree with Marybeth, we would enjoy seeing old favorites and be excited to find new ones.

Back to Top View kjohnson's Profile Search for other posts by kjohnson

Lisa R
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 19 2006 at 9:34am | IP Logged Quote Lisa R

YES!!! YES!!! YES!!!!

Thank you for all the work you do for us!!!!

Waverley
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 19 2006 at 2:17pm | IP Logged Quote Waverley

I would enjoy a Christmas Mosaic. I would recommend (in addition to the wonderful titles included in The Mosaic) :

December by Eve Bunting
We Were There by Eve Bunting
Christmas Tapestry by Patricia Polacco

Waverley
Back to Top View Waverley's Profile Search for other posts by Waverley

amy7
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Dec 19 2006 at 9:04pm | IP Logged Quote amy7

Wonderful idea!

Here are a few of our favorites, besides the great Tomie dePaola ones:

The Christmas Miracle of Jonathon Toomey

An Orange for Frankie by Patricia Polacco - this one always makes me cry, I think because of the warmth of the family's love for each other, and the fact that is really did happen. You must read the Author's Note at the end to really get the tears flowing.

Trees of Dancing Goats by Patricia Polacco

Lion in the Box by Marguarite de Angeli - okay, it's not a picture book so it couldn't really be included, and it is out of print, but it's an all time favorite!

Stephen's Feast by Jean Richardson - about King Wenceslas on Dec. 26 going with his young page to help a poor family

Jan Brett's books (probably not Mosaic material, but still great) - Who's That Knocking on Christmas Eve, The Trouble with Trolls, and others

Can't think of any more right now, although I know there are many.

Amy

Back to Top View amy7's Profile Search for other posts by amy7

CathinCoffeland
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 19 2006 at 10:25pm | IP Logged Quote CathinCoffeland

THANK YOU AMY!
I have been trying to remember the book:
Stephen's Feast by Jean Richardson
forever! I gave up every remembering the title.

I love the idea... lets see my kids love all of the books the ladies listed above plus Lucia Morning in Sweden" by Ewa Rydåker
and one that we love that always makes us cry is
Marta and the Manger Straw: A Christmas Tradition from Poland by Virginia Kroll

i probably have a ton more to list but the kids have most of them tucked in bed with them so i cant refresh my memory

mags

Back to Top View CathinCoffeland's Profile Search for other posts by CathinCoffeland Visit CathinCoffeland's Homepage

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 20 2006 at 12:22am | IP Logged Quote momwise

Cay,
I'll be picking up Father and Son a Nativity Story from the library as soon as I can get there.

Waverley
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 20 2006 at 1:23pm | IP Logged Quote Waverley

OK, so I thought about it some more and have another idea.

Could you include books for the preschool set in the Christmas Mosaic? Maybe there could be a section for the elementary school set and one for the preschool set as well. A lot of the Christmas books in The Mosaic are too much for my preschoolers and I found myself wishing I had a Mosiac for them. Hey, there's an idea - while you're writing a Christmas Mosaic you could write a full litergical year Mosaic for the preschoolers !!!

Thank you for all your work and committment to our children.

Waverley

JenniferS
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 20 2006 at 3:38pm | IP Logged Quote JenniferS

I'd definitely love it!!!!! I am so loving Catholic Mosaic right now, and our kids think it is also great.

Jen
Back to Top View JenniferS's Profile Search for other posts by JenniferS

amy7
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Dec 20 2006 at 10:51pm | IP Logged Quote amy7

Another favorite is Mortimer's Christmas Manger by Karma Wilson.

It would be perfect for the preschool set that Waverly mentioned. A little mouse finds a home in a Nativity set, and complications ensue when the figure of Jesus is placed in Mortimer's cozy manger bed. The whole book is extremely simple (by the Bear Snores On author/illustrator)and sweet and just right for 2-4 year olds (though all my kids like it).

Amy
Back to Top View amy7's Profile Search for other posts by amy7

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 01 2007 at 2:02pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

momwise wrote:
Cay,
I'll be picking up Father and Son a Nativity Story from the library as soon as I can get there.

Saw it yesterday, Gwen.
Beautiful book. Very worthy of a Christmas Mosaic.

mom to 5
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 04 2007 at 10:24am | IP Logged Quote momwise

I read it this week. I love the idea (Joseph gazing upon baby Jesus and wondering how he will be able to serve God as his Son), and the dialogue. In the illustrations there is one page where Joseph loses his temper over the puppy and I don't like his facial expression at all. What did you think of that Cay?

Cay, did you ever get The Santero's Miracle? It was mentioned in another thread but not here yet. It is a totally charming and Catholic Christmas story, and a great addition to a Catholic Christams library (it would also be a wonderful story for the feast of St. Isidore). The characters are gentle, patient, and generous to their neighbors and family members. So many little acts of kindness grace the pages of this book! The grandfather questions his faith but falls back on his intuition as a creator of saints in order to pray for a miracle.

The illustrations are done in Southwest folkart style and would be given to quite a lot of side activities I think. The text is in both Enlish and Spanish, so it's also a great book to practice your Spanish. You've gotta check it out

msclavel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 09 2007 at 6:38pm | IP Logged Quote msclavel

Just saw this and YES! Cay, I would love it. We love Miracle of the Poinsettia retold by Brian Cavanaugh, TOR. I am hispanic so I especially love that it tells the story in Spanish alongside the English. Also The Friendly Beats by dePaola. Others have mentioned some of our other favorites.
Back to Top View msclavel's Profile Search for other posts by msclavel

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 09 2007 at 7:39pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

momwise wrote:
Cay, did you ever get The Santero's Miracle? It was mentioned in another thread but not here yet. It is a totally charming and Catholic Christmas story, and a great addition to a Catholic Christams library (it would also be a wonderful story for the feast of St. Isidore).

Gwen,
My library doesn't have it. I'm still searching around. Can you believe when I queried for it on the library's search engine it came up with "Jack the Ripper".    What's up with that ?!!!

msclavel wrote:
Just saw this and YES! Cay, I would love it. We love Miracle of the Poinsettia retold by Brian Cavanaugh, TOR.

Good, because I got the contract in the mail yesterday.

Please keep sending me your favorite Christmas titles. The list is filling up fast and I can see that I'll have to be very selective but I plan to list all book titles into a mega-Christmas booklist.    

mom to 5

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 10 2007 at 7:43am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Cay Gibson wrote:
Good, because I got the contract in the mail yesterday.     

It sounds like congratulations are in order!

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

TradCathMom
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Jan 10 2007 at 1:28pm | IP Logged Quote TradCathMom

YES! Most definitely! I'm assuming you mean Advent and Christmas! (hint*hint)   

Thanks for pulling Catholic Mosaic together.

It would also be wonderful to have a Lent and Easter one! Hurry! Lent's almost upon us!

Julie's stuff
Trinity Acres
JMJ * AMDG
Back to Top View TradCathMom's Profile Search for other posts by TradCathMom Visit TradCathMom's Homepage

Waverley
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 10 2007 at 1:54pm | IP Logged Quote Waverley

Cay,

Please let us know the specifics of the NEW Christmas Mosaic!!! I am so excited. Do you know yet if you'll have preschool books?

Waverley

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 10 2007 at 3:18pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Congrats, Cay, on the contract.

I havent' responded with any ideas on Christmas books for several reasons, the main one being many are out of print.

Are you taking the same approach to choosing only in-print books?

And Waverly's question is one I echo? Will you have a section on books that are accessible for preschoolers?

And if so, "Who is Coming to Our House" and "Tomie dePaola's Christmas Pageant" are two to include. Love those.

I just got some of my Christmas books this week, and have enjoyed them. I know, it's time to put them away, but I bought some to give at Epiphany, and then we passed them on as gifts for a niece and nephew. I ordered again for Epiphany but they came a little late.

Donkey's Dream and Crippled Lamb are great for the younger ages.

I just got this one...I forget who was the first to recommend it but it's just gorgeous The Nativity: Six Glorious Pop-Up Scenes by Francesca Crespi . They ARE glorious.

We have read many, many books this Advent and Christmas. The pop-up books have been the most delightful, most meditative of all our reading...but of course, they aren't just ANY pop-up. We have Tomie dePaola's The First Christmas (OOP sadly) and Tasha Tudor's Book of Christmas. Crespi's is a perfect addition.

Christmas Carol books is something I really enjoy. Did you see MaryM's great compilation Christmas Carol Unit Study?

For some inspiration, read from Father Francis Weiser Christmas Book:

Ancient Carols and Hymns

Carols for Every Mood

Familiar Carols and Hymns

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version