Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Notebooking?? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
nissag
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 18 2006 at 3:34pm | IP Logged Quote nissag

This fascinates me, but I'm terrified to try.

First, I'm not altogether sure I know what I'm supposed to do.

Second, it looks like a terribly addictive (and therefore, in my case, expensive) activity... which leads me to:

Third, it looks very time intensive and with everything I have going on I'd need to know how to streamline the process.

Can anyone offer some advice, tutorial, encouragement?

At Home With the Gadbois Family

Back to Top View nissag's Profile Search for other posts by nissag Visit nissag's Homepage

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Dec 18 2006 at 6:39pm | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

Nissa, there are several threads which address the "how to." I'm short on time and can't dig right now, but I'll post links later.

Expenses (time and money) depend largely on how elaborate you want to get and how much you want to let your children do. Our first two lapbooks and first extensive notebook project were highly directed (by me). After that, I've really let the children go more, giving general framework instructions and advice and suggestions as they went along, but really letting them do the work and make the creative decisions on their own. (This is for my older two. My 5yo still requires much help, but he's only done one lapbook. His notebook pages are nothing but bunches of stickers and some marker drawings and letters, which he does all on his own.    )

Streamlining: I keep binders, page protectors and file folders (all bought in large packs at Sams), colored paper, construction paper and stickers (stickers bought half off at Hobby Lobby or the scrapbooking store) all on hand. Couple those things with general art supplies (scissors, glue, crayons, markers, etc) and you have everything (and really more than) you need. We started small -- with the file folders, notebooks, and construction paper that I happened to have on hand. Since the kids enjoyed that first experience, we bought the other supplies.

nissag
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 18 2006 at 6:48pm | IP Logged Quote nissag

Oh thanks so much Janette! Sounds like an after Christmas project! I'm loooking forward to giving it a shot - seems like a wonderful way to preserve their "school" years!

Back to Top View nissag's Profile Search for other posts by nissag Visit nissag's Homepage

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 18 2006 at 7:18pm | IP Logged Quote Willa

I don't have any advice....I am in the same boat as you.
I have read lots and lots about it, but the trick is to figure out how to make it work for my particular family.

Plus, I have a Scottish frugal side that makes it really difficult for me to hand expensive supplies over to my children

Thirdly, notebooking is just open-ended enough that I have trouble figuring out how to actually do it. I don't have a clear enough idea of what the goals are or what the daily details look like.

Is there a patron saint of notebooking?

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

JuliaT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 18 2006 at 8:30pm | IP Logged Quote JuliaT

We are in the process of making a notebook for science. We are doing astronomy. I am finding that notebooking is less stressful than making a lapbook. My 7 yr. old dd is able to do most of the work on her own. With lapbooking, I still have to do the folding for her.

We put narrations in the notebook. My dd will draw a picture to accompany it. Sometimes she will just decorate the borders around the edge of what she has written. We write out experiments or activities that we have done. I don't use stickers too much just because I haven't found any that match our theme. But I have lots of scrapbooking supplies, templates, etc. and she uses them. I am very pleased with how it is turning out.

Your notebook can be as elaborate or as simple as you want/need it to be.

Blessings,
Julia
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Juliainsk
Back to Top View JuliaT's Profile Search for other posts by JuliaT

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 18 2006 at 9:38pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

WJFR wrote:
I don't have any advice....I am in the same boat as you.
I have read lots and lots about it, but the trick is to figure out how to make it work for my particular family.

Plus, I have a Scottish frugal side that makes it really difficult for me to hand expensive supplies over to my children

Thirdly, notebooking is just open-ended enough that I have trouble figuring out how to actually do it. I don't have a clear enough idea of what the goals are or what the daily details look like.

Is there a patron saint of notebooking?

I nominate St. Therese the Little Flower and St. Faustina in memory of their glorious notebooks!

I like to notebook in spurts, doing small manageable projects in one or two month spurts. This keeps me from petering out and abandoning them half completed.

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

Lisa R
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 19 2006 at 9:32am | IP Logged Quote Lisa R

Nissa,

Look down a little further on this forum (I don't know how to link! ) and you'll see a post I did about notebooking. Lots of help there!

Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 19 2006 at 10:58am | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

The links: notebooking

for beginners

I don't know whether the second was already listed in the first post (if that makes sense), but if not, here it is.

BTW, I'm with you. I need an in-house demonstration to get started. Anyone game?

God bless,

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 19 2006 at 1:12pm | IP Logged Quote Willa

Tina P. wrote:
BTW, I'm with you. I need an in-house demonstration to get started. Anyone game?

Seriously! I was just thinking something like that!   Not just finished product but step by step, unique and beautiful, like Alice's beautiful Easter Vigil Notebook

Also, ideas on how to get the kids started -- the more basic and user-friendly, the better.   

Take Up and Read

MichelleW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 19 2006 at 1:37pm | IP Logged Quote MichelleW

We did beautiful First Communion Notebooks (to which there are multiple links to conversations if you do a search). The ideas were not our own, we borrowed heavily from the many talented women here.

Right now, we are notebooking American history. We started with a page on Colombus. We divided the page into 4 boxes, pasted a picture of Colombus (from Homeschool in the Woods) and a large 1492 right in the middle of the page. I divided Columbus' life into 4 major periods and read something to the kids from each period. In each of the 4 boxes I had the kids draw a picture from each period in Columbus' life.

My daughter's next page is a picture she drew of Kateri Tekakwitha.

Next is Jamestown. We read several books on Jamestown. The page has a little map of the area, and the important people of the time (Pocahontas, Capt. Smith). Also a list of what they did right and what they did wrong. Each child's is of course reflective of his/her ability to write, draw and process.

Next is a page we did on Virginia. It has a map of the state with important locations labeled. Each child included interesting facts about the state and how it was started.

Next is a page or two on the pilgrims. We used some paper doll cut-outs, my son has a picture of the Mayflower. They needed to include the date, Plymouth, the important people and something about each person they included and a bit of the story.

Next is a page we did on Massachusettes very similar to the one we did on Virginia.

That is where we stopped. Since then we have read "The Matchlock Gun" and "The Courage of Sarah Noble." When we start up again next month we will probably do a page on colonial life, a page for each of the 13 colonies (except the two we already did), a page on Ben Franklin and then begin the Revolutionary War.

Does that help? The only expense was white cardstock (because it holds up better for us that plain paper). The kids drew, wrote and colored with crayons, markers and pencils we already had. My daughter used bits of fabric and felt for embellishments. Each notebook reflects the personality of each child. I love them.

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Dec 19 2006 at 3:41pm | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

Tina P. wrote:
I need an in-house demonstration to get started. Anyone game?

This is exactly what we did when several of the moms on this board got together in Virginia a couple of falls ago. Only it was Mary Chris teaching us to lapbook. (We lapbooked Salamander Room, and I'm thoroughly embarassed to admit that we still haven't finished those yet!    ) It was our first taste of lapbooks, though, and the demo made all the difference! If anyone wants to coordinate a gathering, I'm always up for a road trip...      

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Dec 19 2006 at 3:56pm | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

More threads on notebooking:

Lapbooking/notebooks expensive?

Lapbooking/notebooks questions

Starting Notebooking

And there are links in those threads that will take you to pictures of actual notebook pages. You could be reading and clicking all day...

nissag
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 19 2006 at 3:59pm | IP Logged Quote nissag

Wowee, there's a lot to read. I'm beginning to form a better picture in my mind now of what I could do, but keep suggestions coming!

I think I'll start with a scrapbook with the posts you can add, then use dividers by subject... Maybe just a binder we can make pretty on the outside.

See why I could make this expensive I'm Scottish, too so I have a great internal conflict going on - spend the money, save the money!

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 20 2006 at 6:43am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

MichelleW wrote:
We did beautiful First Communion Notebooks (to which there are multiple links to conversations if you do a search). The ideas were not our own, we borrowed heavily from the many talented women here.

We've been working on Marianna's First Communion for awhile, though it's really morphed into more of a liturgical year one instead...but I did want to say that the words "First Communion" are not searchable here, very odd. Here is the First Communion Notebook, and here is a Year of the Eucharist one we found helpful. The Stations of the Eucharist looks neat, but we didn't get around to it.

I could turn this whole post blue with links to awesome ideas that we could have included! Easter Vigils, Study of the Mass...it's a work in progress, right?   

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 20 2006 at 11:58am | IP Logged Quote Willa

nissag wrote:
Wowee, there's a lot to read. I'm beginning to form a better picture in my mind now of what I could do, but keep suggestions coming!
I think I'll start with a scrapbook with the posts you can add, then use dividers by subject... Maybe just a binder we can make pretty on the outside.

I am just experimenting with that kind of thing.... it is fun! But I still don't know quite how to apply it to my household of boys.

One thing that occurs to me -- this is just a thought inspired by Janette's offer of an inhouse demonstration.   You probably don't have any trips planned to the CA Sierras in the near future??   

I am wondering if we could have an online step by step demonstration.   Maybe we could take a liturgical year project and go page by page.   Walking through it like that might work for some who have trouble visualizing the concrete details, and who prefer things to be personalized rather than just a boughten kit to follow -- yes, that would be ME!

This is just an idea -- and I would not be the one to implement it, obviously, so I hesitate to even suggest it. But it seems that SO many people come here asking for beginner's help on this subject that it would be a useful thread to have in the archives.

I also wanted to mention that Elizabeth has some really beautiful notebooking visuals in her article on
Living Books I don't know how to link directly to the article but it's on the left sidebar of the site I linked to.     And Kim has visuals of her
lapbook on our Catholic Faith not quite a notebook, but might give some ideas.   

Also, I am looking at the First Communion Notebook thread and it looks like the closest there is right now to what I was thinking about.

I won't have any First COmmunion students for at least a couple of years but I am thinking of taking some of the ideas and making a scrapbook of the sacraments with old photos and the like contained in it. That might give me some practice for the future.

Also, Theresa's blog on
How We Do Notebooking is useful for beginners -- it might give you some ideas!

Take Up and Read

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 21 2006 at 8:10am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Oh, wouldn't it be wonderful if we could all get together for a little notebooking party (oops, I mean workshop )!!!???!!!
I am always up for a trip. Perhaps to make it worth a longer trip we could add in some other workshops like living the liturgical year, nature study, science, art, etc...I could think of a million workshops the ladies on this board could give!!!Our own 4real learning conference!
Anyone game???

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Lisa R
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 21 2006 at 8:38am | IP Logged Quote Lisa R

Theresa,

Wouldn't that be WONDERFUL!!    It would have to be central though because we're all over the U.S.!!

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Dec 21 2006 at 9:11am | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

I personally loved the 4Real "retreat" a couple of falls ago, but I know that it was a BIG deal to coordinate, and that it's so hard to work out everyone's schedules, let alone find a "convenient"    meeting location.

We are planning a trip out west late in spring.... Willa, we're not (currently, anyway    ) planning on heading as far north as you are, but we will be in San Diego. You northern CA ladies could meet us half way... Oh, wouldn't that be wonderful! (for me, I mean!    )

nissag
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 21 2006 at 9:54am | IP Logged Quote nissag

lapazfarm wrote:
Oh, wouldn't it be wonderful if we could all get together for a little notebooking party (oops, I mean workshop )!!!???!!!
I am always up for a trip. Perhaps to make it worth a longer trip we could add in some other workshops like living the liturgical year, nature study, science, art, etc...I could think of a million workshops the ladies on this board could give!!!Our own 4real learning conference!
Anyone game???

I'm actually putting together a family retreat with activities for moms, dads, and kids. I have information here.here and a more detailed of mom's portion herehere. Of course, lapbooking/notebooking could easily be added as part of a home education module. Not to worry, I spent years as an event planner!

What do you all think?

Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 21 2006 at 11:26am | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

I'm all for it, but as Lisa says, it has to be somewhere west of Virginia, this time. Colorado might be nice ...

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version