Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: More craft help needed-St. Agnes Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JSchaaf
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 04 2006 at 11:44am | IP Logged Quote JSchaaf

I made it through All Saint's Day (thank you, everyone, for your help), but now for my latest challenge:
I'm teaching Little Flowers this week. The saint is St. Agnes, the flower is the peony and the virtue is the Love of God. I need EASY craft ideas for a group of 10 girls, ages 6-9.
Thanks!
Jennifer
Back to Top View JSchaaf's Profile Search for other posts by JSchaaf

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 04 2006 at 11:58am | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Here is a nice, simple, inexpensive project the girls and I completed for St. Agnes' feast:

St. Agnes hearts.

[Please click on the thumbnail image within the post to enlarge.]

Spoon saints might also work well!

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 04 2006 at 2:04pm | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

I really like the connection between St. Agnes and the two lambs so to play up that connection here are a few more easy lamb ideas:
cute lamb pin and sprinkled cupcakes or marshmallow cupcakes the girls could decorate and eat.

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 04 2006 at 2:22pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

marihalojen wrote:
I really like the connection between St. Agnes and the two lambs so to play up that connection here are a few more easy lamb ideas:

Jennifer, we think alike. That was the same connection I would emphasize. The blessing and shearing of these lambs and the use of the wool for the palliums is done every year at Saint Agnes in Agone in Rome (more), and this feast ties in with the Solemnity of Saints Peter and Paul, June 29.

Here are some articles:
Blessing of Lambs on Feast of St. Agnes

Pope blesses sheep; wool used for pallium

List of 27 new archbishops who received pallium on June 29

definition pallium

There's a subtle connection (at least to me) to see the virgin martyr's feast as important for Peter and Paul's feastday. It illustrates to me another example where the women play the supporting but important roles...or does that sound crazy? I guess I've got some of those threads on husbands and wives in my head.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 04 2006 at 3:33pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

JennGM wrote:
There's a subtle connection (at least to me) to see the virgin martyr's feast as important for Peter and Paul's feastday.

That connection has been duly noted here as well. My sister's third daughter is named Agnes. She was born on the Feast of St. Peter and Paul. It was after her birth when they had already named her that they also made that connection that you are mentioning here. It reinforced for them that she had the right name.

The lamb crafts are the way I would go as well. It would be very easy to add a paper or frosting peony to the crafts that were mentioned if you wanted to keep the flower theme as part of the craft.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

kjohnson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 04 2006 at 4:26pm | IP Logged Quote kjohnson

When our LF group planned a craft for St. Agnes we made lamb pillows. One of the moms bought soft white felt and drew a large sketch of a lamb on it. Then she cut out the pattern. Each girl was given 2 lambs and they sewed them together. Just when they had about 2 inches left to sew, they stuffed them with fluff (I can't remember what that stuffing at the craft store is called ) and then finished sewing them up. The girls loved having the soft and snuggly little lamb pillow on their beds.

Back to Top View kjohnson's Profile Search for other posts by kjohnson

JSchaaf
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 07 2006 at 12:57pm | IP Logged Quote JSchaaf

Thank you for the ideas. I think I'm going with the cotton ball lambs on the red hearts. Easy enough for even me to do! Alice, do you have a template for the lamb? Please don't tell me you drew them freehand!
Jennifer

JSchaaf
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 08 2006 at 4:05pm | IP Logged Quote JSchaaf

I did it! Little Flowers went very well today. Here is a link to a post about it and a picture. Thanks again, everyone!
Little Flowers

Jennifer

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 08 2006 at 5:44pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Jennifer! I love those!

I'm sorry I missed your question about the template--we didn't have one anyway. The girls just drew them looking at (believe it or not) a little lamb figurine from our Nativity set.

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version