Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
 4Real Forums : Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
Subject Topic: getting out in winter-YUCK! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 01 2006 at 7:19am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

I was just reading this quote from Charlotte Mason at Amy's blog today:

"Winter Walks as necessary as Summer Walks.––All we have said hitherto applies to the summer weather, which is, alas for us! a very limited and uncertain quantity in our part of the world. The question of out-of-door exercise in winter and in wet weather is really more important; for who that could would not be abroad in the summer time? If the children are to have what is quite the best thing for them, they should be two or three hours every day in the open air all through winter, say an hour and a half in the morning and as long in the afternoon.

Pleasures connected with Frost and Snow.––When frost and snow are on the ground children have very festive times, what with sliding, snow-balling, and snow-building. But even on the frequent days when it is dirty under foot and dull over head they should be kept interested and alert, so that the heart may do its work cheerfully, and a grateful glow be kept up throughout the body in spite of clouds and cold weather."

I am not a cold weather person and hate getting out in the cold. I don't mind it when it is snowy or clear, but it's the damp, rainy, dreary cold days that really get to me. And we get a LOT of those here, and rarely any lovely snow.
I make an effort for my kids sake not to hibernate on those days, but it is SO HARD! I could use a kick in the pants!
What do you ladies do to help stay motivated for getting outdoors when it is "dirty underfoot and dull overhead"?

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Bridget
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 01 2006 at 7:34am | IP Logged Quote Bridget

This will be our first winter in a while without a dog to take care of, he died this summer. I am anxious to get another dog, and some chickens because that will force us to get out each day to care for them. Once we are out we usually stay out at least a little while, even in unpleasant weather.

Back to Top View Bridget's Profile Search for other posts by Bridget Visit Bridget's Homepage

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 01 2006 at 8:15am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Theresa, this is a great and timely topic! I will be eager to hear the responses because I for one find it all too easy to hibernate for months!

One thing I will say, is when I think of going out on cold winter days - snow or no - I think of how nice it feels to return home ... to hot soup or tea, bread baking in the oven, dry warm clothes and perhaps a story by the fire. Maybe if you set a routine that includes such a homey cozy ending, it will be easier to get out in the first place.

Also, I love reading books or autumn poetry that evoke those blustery gray days. They always make me want to bundle up and get outside for a bit.

And for myself, I know that sometimes when I really don't feel like getting outside, I tell myself "Just 5 minutes" and then often we end up staying out a bit longer. Feeding the birds, is always a good excuse to get us outside for just for a while.

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 01 2006 at 8:22am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Oh Theresa, I know what you mean. It's even harded with so many littles to bundle up, and then add to that a baby, ugh, I dread the long Ohio winters. I like Dawns ideas of having something warm and cozy to look forward to coming home to.

I think I will also make more of an effort to keep hats, mittens, scarves, socks, boots, etc... more organized and available. That's a big roadblock for me.

Maybe have a more specific 'agenda' to cover while outside, rather than just wandering about like we tend to do in the warmer months.

I look forward to more inspiration!

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Nov 01 2006 at 9:57am | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

Theresa, I battle getting out on those damp days too, but we combat the cold with a hot beverage in a "to go" cup. They warm us from the inside! And when we get back home, I like to have some savory soup ready in the crock pot. This keeps everyone cheery.

Ultimately, we try to defy the worst weather by heading toward the beach. Getting out is a slap in the face, but getting back into the car is such a delight...one worth waiting for. And one sees so many interesting things in the winter on the beach...migrating birds, flotsam and jetsam, erosion patterns...crazy surfers . It's totally worth the effort.

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 01 2006 at 1:59pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Hmmm...so setting a pot of tea to steep as we head out the door might be a motivator, as well as a warm cup of joe to take along... soup simmerring on the stove...Great ideas, ladies!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 02 2006 at 8:42pm | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

This isn't a new idea just a vote for the hot beverage. One day last winter I thought to bring a thermos of hot coco along when we went on a hike. When we got back to the van I gave the kids each a cup and we sat there and sipped it and talked about what we had seen on our walk. The kids still say "remember that really great hike when we had hot chocolate? That was awesome!" It's amazing how their delight can bring warmth even in the cold!
Becky
Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

Karen E.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 04 2006 at 8:21am | IP Logged Quote Karen E.

Okay, you've all motivated me.

Hot beverages.
Soup.

And, Bridget, you're breaking down my final barriers to getting a dog ....

Visit my blog, with its shockingly clever title, "Karen Edmisten."
Back to Top View Karen E.'s Profile Search for other posts by Karen E. Visit Karen E.'s Homepage

Margaret in MN
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 15 2006 at 4:32am | IP Logged Quote Margaret in MN

Thank you for the link to this topic in your blog, Dawn! Its subject lies very close to my heart and yet, being such a newbie on this forum, I would have never found it on my own.

I think the hardest thing for me about getting outside is the bundling up of small bodies part. Once we get out there, however, we are so invigorated!

I agree that it's much easier to hibernate all winter. We're not doing our little learners any favors that way, though--and the fresh air does us moms much good as well.

Margaret
Minnesota Mom
Back to Top View Margaret in MN's Profile Search for other posts by Margaret in MN Visit Margaret in MN's Homepage

hereinantwerp
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 16 2006 at 7:45am | IP Logged Quote hereinantwerp

lapazfarm wrote:
"dirty underfoot and dull overhead"?

well, that describes our winters to a "t"!

so what I'm getting from this thread is, the best thing about going out is coming back in?    personally, I need more motivation than that, LOL!

usually what drives us out is that everyone becomes VERY miserable and grumpy and frenetic after being cooped up inside. so then mom snaps and says, "that's it! everybody out!" and then things become REALLY miserable, but once we finally make it out and then back, we usually have a nice time, and everyone feels better toward everyone else and toward life in general. it's just the process of getting out that I find very difficult, so much so that I tend to avoid it until the situation reaches a truly desperate level (which it does every other day or so).

so, that's my motivation--go out, or go completely crazy. I just have a hard time thinking of places to go. with a little yard now I'm looking forward to putting up some nice birdfeeders and things like that!

Mother to Simon (13), Calvin (9), and Lyddie Rose (3)

my blog: live and learn
Back to Top View hereinantwerp's Profile Search for other posts by hereinantwerp Visit hereinantwerp's Homepage

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 16 2006 at 10:27am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

While we were up in Pensacola I needed these ideas ladies! Brrr...we actually saw 39 degrees! One night alone I had my one pair of pants on, tank top, tshirt, sweater and a borrowed coat. I felt like a mummy! And I'd forgotten how cold air feels in the nose, Marianna too kept complaining that her nose hurt.      I kept my hood up even though everyone laughed, don't they know 90% of your body heat is lost through the head?

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 28 2006 at 6:59am | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

One thing that helps motivate when facing the cold...if you would bear the same weather to go shopping, visiting or for some other excursion, then it's equally worthwhile to venture out into God's great outdoors! A brisk walk in snowy ueather can be truly invigorating and breathtaking :)

Does anyone else notice feeling so MUCH better outside? A friend and I have come to the conclusion that we feel better outdoors because we are surrounded by natural things, created by God, whereas inside we are surrounded by things manmade!

Love the ideas for warm drinks and simmering soup! Thank you all!

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 28 2006 at 9:35am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

What you can do is slam-dunk these beautiful days of autumn so your spirit will be full before those damp, gray days of winter begin.

After our week of camping I can skimp on those yucky days without too much guilt.   

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

J.Anne
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 28 2006 at 4:06pm | IP Logged Quote J.Anne

I was thinking of posting some winter time activities at some point. I get really down during the winter because everything is brown. This year we are planting a good sized bulb garden, harvesting seeds from the dried flowers, starting a compost pile, and building a mini greenhouse for fresh spinach. I'm sure there are lots of other projects we could put together. Our winters are mild and most days are pleasant, but I still am counting the days until spring!
Jennifer
As Cozy as Spring
Back to Top View J.Anne's Profile Search for other posts by J.Anne Visit J.Anne's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version