Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: st. martinmas day Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 10 2009 at 6:46am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Glad you like it Mary, we are looking forward to EATING it tomorrow! (It's St Martin's Eve here tonight)

I found this sweet St Martin's Lantern Walk video on youtube, it looks as though these are German children walking and singing with their St Martin lanterns.

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 10 2009 at 7:17am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

Wow! That cake is awesome! I'm not even going to show my boys because I don't have time to make one this year, but I'm saving it in a file for next year!
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. The links are very helpful. I'm looking forward to our meeting tomorrow. I think the kids will enjoy it!

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

LeeAnn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 12 2009 at 11:22am | IP Logged Quote LeeAnn

We took our lantern walk last night, a tradition we began when my oldest were in German preschool-kindergarten. I always thought the lantern walk was recreating the people's search for Martin, hiding in the barn because he thought he was unworthy to be bishop (where he was later given away by a honking goose). But the idea of the saint carrying a lantern himself also makes sense.

TracyFD
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 13 2009 at 5:50pm | IP Logged Quote TracyFD

I have some St. Martin posts with PDF links to some wonderful songs. One is here - this one is a lantern song.

Another is here that is a song telling the story of St. Martin and links to instructions for making various sorts of lanterns.

We invited friends over to join us this year for a lantern walk followed by hot cocoa and St. Martin Horseshoe cookies. This feast gets mor efun every year!

Pinewood Castle
Back to Top View TracyFD's Profile Search for other posts by TracyFD Visit TracyFD's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 14 2009 at 12:52am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Very nice posts, Tracy - lots of great Martinmas celebrating!

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 06 2010 at 1:29pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Bumping - the feast day is coming up this week. So many great ideas. Keep adding to it...

Treasure Chest of Fun & Fact has St. Martin stories:
St. Martin of Tours
The Mantle of Charity: St. Martin of Tours - Patron of Tailors
St. Martin of Tours

This heraldry site (Heraldry of the World) has many different coats of arms which include St. Martin or St. Martin imagery. They are wonderful - so many to choose from. I am planning on printing out a bunch of different ones and stringing them along a string to make a decorative banner. Will post pictures.

Also found this stained glass pattern - St. Martin which I want to incorporate into a covering for a votive candle.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 10 2010 at 10:01am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

We had our big support group party for St. Martin's Feast Day yesterday.

All the crafts and games went over really well - a big success. I posted pictures and instructions for the major things we did. Using the coat of arm images from World of Heraldry yielded some nice results.

St. Martin paper lanterns - Japanese lantern style

String banner with the coat-of-arms

The biggest hit was the relay game I devised:
St. Martin Cloak Cutting Relay
Divide children into two (or more) eaqual teams. Each team needs a stick horse and a toy sword (we used styrofoam ones so no one can get hurt). At the opposite end of the room is a helper with a stack of large newsprint sheets representing cloaks. There is a hole cut in the sheet so that the sword can be inserted and pulled down to rip the paper easily. When the race starts, each runner rides the stick horse to the opposite line, cuts the cloak in half (like St. Martin did for the beggar) and races back to starting point. Next racer takes horse and repeats.

Our Domestic Church

LeeAnn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 11 2010 at 6:43pm | IP Logged Quote LeeAnn

TracyFD wrote:
This feast gets more fun every year!

I agree! We had ten friends and their mothers over to make lanterns this morning and went for a walk around the neighborhood. Great pre-wintery weather today...and snow in the forecast for next week. :) Hope you all had a wonderful celebration honoring this saint.

Cute St. Martin lantern song

St. Martin story with music (German lyrics)

Lantern song (secular electronica dance version) LOL

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 11 2011 at 12:11am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Bumping...

Our Domestic Church

dolorsofmary
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 14 2011 at 12:04pm | IP Logged Quote dolorsofmary

we do st. martin of tours BIG in our house.

we do EVERYTHING!
We do hungarian goulash )allrecipes, my husband LOVES it! (yes I know you are supposed to do goose but we don't want to and he lived in what is now called Hungaria. And we make horseshoe cookies.
we make papermache lanterns ( around a balloon use tissue paper many colors and then use flameless tea lights

we went to our neighbors house with the lanterns and we sang the lantern song

i also wrote a short play on St. Martin for littles
my son who is now 6 yrs old is St. Martin, I'm the narrator and my husband is everyone else
1)     Martin is a member of Roman army beggar says ‘help me or I will die!
Martin has nothing but his clothes on his back so he cut his cloak in half for him
He sees a vision of Christ wearing the cloak and Jesus says to him ‘you who are not baptized have clothed me’
And so Martin seeks to be baptized
2)He finishes his service with the army and he becomes a priest and hermit
3) some robbers approach him ‘give us your money!
Martin ‘I haven’t any money ,
Robbers ‘Aren’t you afraid we’ll kill you?
Martin ‘Not in the least! My master is the great God who will protect me. But you should be afraid!’ The leader took him aside and when alone with him begged him ‘pray to God for me’ and was converted!
4) when the local bishop died everyone wanted Martin to be bishop but he said he was not worthy so they tricked him into being bishop
Locals ‘the lady of the manor is very ill, you must come quick and heal her!’
He comes and they put the mitre on him and make him bishop
5) Martin went about destroying pagan temples and this angered those who were still pagan. One time Martin was destroying a pine tree that the pagans stated had divine power.
A pagan priest came up to him and challenged him ‘you say this tree is not divine. You trust so strongly in your God. Very well, we shall cut this tree down ourselves if you promise to stand where we ask you. If your God saves you, we will believe.
Martin ‘I accept.’
The men chop the tree. It sways and begins to fall on Martin.
Martin makes the sign of the cross and the tree falls in the opposite direction just missing the great crowd of pagans that came to watch!
Pagans say ‘we believe in the one true God!’
6) another pagan tried to kill Martin but Martin bared his breast and the pagan fell backwards. He was so terrified that he asked Martin to forgive him.
7) He build a great monastery. He died in 397 in Tours, France

I also wrote a more mature play for a church event but I
will not unfornutately share that one with you since I don't have direct foot notes so I would be afraid of being naughty not giving creditwhere due. I have to say that it is very very good htough. I use popsicle sticks with paper glued on with drawings onthe paper for charachters and a newspaper tree and blockand rope and red paper as props, its alot of fun. And of course we ask fro St. Martin to pray for us and we get up early and go to Mass too. My son is not named Martin, no one in our family is named martin but St. Martin is a very manly saint complete with sword and soldier outfit so my son loves it. Really cool .I look forward to 11/11 every year.

Lots of fun and cool! I have to say that we rock it when it comes to the feast.
Back to Top View dolorsofmary's Profile Search for other posts by dolorsofmary

Elena
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 14 2011 at 5:56pm | IP Logged Quote Elena

We made some lanternsfor Martinmas this year. They turned out pretty well and weren't too hard to make!

One Day at a Time

Back to Top View Elena's Profile Search for other posts by Elena Visit Elena's Homepage

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Nov 09 2012 at 9:48am | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

Bumping since St. Martin's feast day is right around the corner!

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 09 2012 at 12:08pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

JennGM wrote:
But I thought about it a little more. This is only my personal theory. Patron Saints Index includes one of his symbols as a globe of fire...not too far off from a glowing lantern, don't you think?

I very much also think that the symbol of light - whether it be bonfires, lanterns, etc. - can be and has been linked to this saint. I found some of beautiful art work that includes St. Martin with this "globe of fire" imagery.

Eustache Le Sueur
The Mass of St. Martin of Tours (1654)

Franconian School
Miraculous Mass of St. Martin of Tours ~1440

Our Domestic Church

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 3
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version