Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: st. martinmas day Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
nissag
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 19 2007 at 4:02pm | IP Logged Quote nissag

JennGM wrote:
Or go straight to my St. Martin Paper Lanterns set.

Blimey Jenn! That's a great idea! It's really a beautiful project. Now... Where can I get those votive lights?

At Home With the Gadbois Family

Back to Top View nissag's Profile Search for other posts by nissag Visit nissag's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 20 2007 at 10:17am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

nissag wrote:
JennGM wrote:
Or go straight to my St. Martin Paper Lanterns set.

Blimey Jenn! That's a great idea! It's really a beautiful project. Now... Where can I get those votive lights?

Well, I picked them up at Michael's or AC Moore. I saw them in the Oriental Trading Co catalog I received this week, too. They weren't quite right, but made due in a pinch. Seems there should be a small little battery operated light, the size of a flashlight bulb, but I couldn't find any last year.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

MaryMary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 06 2009 at 2:00am | IP Logged Quote MaryMary

Resurrecting this thread because I found a relatively simple but lovely Martinmas procession song here.

I am hoping to celebrate this feast for the first time this year with lantern making and a little procession, Charlotte's awesome coloring page of St. Martin of Tours and a trip to St. Vincent de Paul Society to drop off clothing for the poor in the spirit of St. Martin. I think this is going to be one of our favorite feasts!

Back to Top View MaryMary's Profile Search for other posts by MaryMary

donnalynn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 06 2009 at 8:25am | IP Logged Quote donnalynn

+

LucyP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 06 2009 at 6:33pm | IP Logged Quote LucyP

November 5th is Bonfire Night in England, when the discovery of a "catholic plot" to blow up parliament is remembered and traditionally effigies of the plotters and sometimes the Pope etc are burned, along with lots of fireworks. It has been really really nice for us to instead do fireworks on Martinmas instead - so we do a lantern making, lantern walk, and then fireworks. We don't do much singing though!
Back to Top View LucyP's Profile Search for other posts by LucyP

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 06 2009 at 9:48pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Mary, I've taken that hymn that you linked above and made a little video singing it, using a German? recording in the background..it's here ~ just so that you can here it, I'v done it so I can teach my own children in time for Martinmas night.

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 06 2009 at 9:55pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

I've been watch 'Wind in the Willows' with the children lately Lucy, a delightful series made when we would have been children and we've heard a few times now, "Remember, remember, the 5th of November!!" ...is that Guy Fawlks night? That was a night we celebrated when children in Australia but it's definately fazed out now, I think because of safety issues more than anything...

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

MaryMary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 07 2009 at 5:38am | IP Logged Quote MaryMary

aussieannie wrote:
Mary, I've taken that hymn that you linked above and made a little video singing it, using a German? recording in the background..it's here ~ just so that you can here it, I'v done it so I can teach my own children in time for Martinmas night.

Anne, you are amazing! My eldest dd spent the morning pounding it out on the piano so that we would be able to teach it to the children in our little First Fri. co-op. It is such a delightful little song! Thanks so much!

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 07 2009 at 6:04am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

I'm glad it's helpful Mary!

Here is our St Martin lanterns all made and ready to go!

Susana
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 07 2009 at 2:36pm | IP Logged Quote Susana

MichelleW wrote:
The kids and I take blankets down to "Blanket Coverage" (an organization that covers homeless people with warm blankets while they sleep--imagine waking up to find someone has covered you up in the night!) We also try to make a trip to Goodwill to donate the winter clothes we've outgrown.

We always plan a big tea party (a dinnertime tea, so it is hearty fare) and then exchange gifts of warmth. I usually get the kids a new sweater each. This year our budget is really tight, so I am thinking I'll knit up some quick scarves.

Michelle

Michelle, I just love all of this!

We'll be donating coats we've collected from parishoners on that day and having horseshoe cookies!

Carole N.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 09 2009 at 9:01am | IP Logged Quote Carole N.

aussieannie wrote:
I've been watch 'Wind in the Willows' with the children lately Lucy, a delightful series made when we would have been children and we've heard a few times now, "Remember, remember, the 5th of November!!" ...is that Guy Fawlks night? That was a night we celebrated when children in Australia but it's definately fazed out now, I think because of safety issues more than anything...

Yes, Anne, it is Guy Fawlkes night. They still celebrate here with fireworks and bonfires. He was a Catholic and was drawn and quartered for his part in the plot. We were coming in from choir and basketball practive and there was a huge bonfire at the corner of the road.

Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 09 2009 at 9:57am | IP Logged Quote Matilda

Here is the quick and easy version of some Martinmas lanterns we are using this year. Horseshoe cookies have become a tradition for us as well as donating scarves (instead of coats). I love all the little songs! I'm going to see if my musically gifted daughter can figure them out on the piano.

Waltzing Matilda
Back to Top View Matilda's Profile Search for other posts by Matilda

LucyP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 09 2009 at 10:56am | IP Logged Quote LucyP

Yes, Anne - Guy Fawkes was one of the Gunpowder plotters and the one discovered checking the barrels of gunpowder in the cellar, so it is often called Guy Fawkes Day. He and the other alleged conspirators were so hideously tortured and cruelly executed, and people still often burn a "guy" on their bonfires, but thankfully less often nowadays as it is seen as anti-Catholic. We no longer mark Bonfire Night because it is an anti-Catholic event. You often see the handwriting of Guy Fawkes before and after he was racked, and it is heart-breaking - and, if they were really plotting to blow up all those in the Houses of Parliament, it was a horrid crime, but such a barbaric death beyond imagining....I just feel so sorry for them, and some historians suggest it was all "rigged up" by the government - a conspiracy theory I love!

donnalynn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 09 2009 at 11:00am | IP Logged Quote donnalynn

+

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 09 2009 at 12:26pm | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

We are having our monthly Catholic Mosaic group here this Wednesday. I was all set to do something else, but since reading this thread I think we'll do St. Martin, especially since it is his feast day! I have a lantern idea that we will make, which I think will work well with a large group. I'm going to use quart sized canning jars. We'll color a picture of St. Martin, copied from Charlotte's blog onto vellum paper, and mod-podge it to the front of the jar. Then, we'll cut various colors of tissue paper into one inch squares and mod-modge them on the remainder of the jar. I might just use white glue instead of the mod-podge, I'm going to test it out first. When it's dry we'll put a votive inside and light it with a taper.
My problem is that usually we read a picture book about the saint we are learning about, a la Catholic Mosaic. I don't have a book about St. Martin of Tours, so I'm not sure what to do there. Any thoughts?
Maybe I'll just tell the kids the stories that I've read while they color. ..

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

missionfamily
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 09 2009 at 12:40pm | IP Logged Quote missionfamily

Becky--St. Martin was known for his love of the poor...what about choosing a Catholic Mosaic book with that theme and tying it in. I'm thinking The Little Match Girl is covered in there, isn't it?

Footprints on the Fridge
Back to Top View missionfamily's Profile Search for other posts by missionfamily Visit missionfamily's Homepage

LucyP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 09 2009 at 12:46pm | IP Logged Quote LucyP

Becky, I'm a big believer in telling stories not reading them, now I have seen how differently the story is taken on and in by a child when told. So I have started telling the story of St Martin (for my 5 and 2yo just the beggar/cloak/dream/baptism part) and then getting them to act it out - as we have a red cloak and a sword in the dressing up box and as it is very simple but also very fun to act while I repeat the story. I am planning to tell the story while the children make their lanterns here on Wednesday - would that work for your group? We do the glueing tissue paper on jars too as it is quickest for a group craft for this age group, and I am so glad to hear someone else doing the same as I regret not doing the beautiful paper ones...

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 09 2009 at 11:43pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Got to see Charlotte's Martinmas Lanterns! If you have left lantern making to the last moment, you can now sigh in relief at just how easy and quick this is, but how SWEET!

MaryMary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 10 2009 at 3:00am | IP Logged Quote MaryMary

Becky Parker wrote:

My problem is that usually we read a picture book about the saint we are learning about, a la Catholic Mosaic. I don't have a book about St. Martin of Tours, so I'm not sure what to do there. Any thoughts?
Maybe I'll just tell the kids the stories that I've read while they color. ..

Becky Jenn GM has some wonderful links to stories you can read aloud about St. Martin here

Oh, and we used canning jars as well and white glue worked just fine. I precut the tissue squares though, and I am glad I did...saved time and mess! HTH!

MaryMary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 10 2009 at 3:28am | IP Logged Quote MaryMary

Oh my, our Anne has done it again... just have a look at her St. Martin Cloak cake

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version