Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Catechesis Materials Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 17 2007 at 8:33am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Thanks, Brenda. I used the symbols Jenn provided (scroll up in the thread a bit) and just photocopied them on cream cardstock. They fit perfectly.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: March 17 2007 at 9:10am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

lapazfarm wrote:
Mackfam wrote:

- but the 2 year old! How do you guys handle the 2's with this. I think he'll just sit in my lap, but I'm wondering if you all have some pointers.
Wildflowers and Marbles

I plan on doing it during my toddler's naps. Otherwise I know it will be a major battle and that is not the atmosphere I want for this!

Thanks so much Theresa. I might have to resort to this. I don't want to get flustered during a presentation with all of the potential a 2 year old brings to the party!

But...here's my concern. If I exclude him from presentations, then when he gets into the materials - and he will get into them - it will be like a free for all I'm afraid!! Materials will be accessible to the older two to take out, and he will definitely want to be involved then. I didn't want to limit their access to naptime, because as I said earlier, I feel I really have to provide every moment to capture my 6 year old. If he feels like taking out the Mass kit to set up after morning lessons - I really want him to feel the freedom to do that.    

I wondered if maybe the 2 year old sat in my lap, while I tried to quietly and gently show everyone how to handle the items...how to put them away...lovingly, gently...it was my hope that maybe those lessons might make an impression?? I'm sure he'll need some redirection for awhile. But I want to form good habits from the start. I would really appreciate any wisdom you guys have on this!!
Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 18 2007 at 7:39pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Mackfam wrote:
I wondered if maybe the 2 year old sat in my lap, while I tried to quietly and gently show everyone how to handle the items...how to put them away...lovingly, gently...it was my hope that maybe those lessons might make an impression?? I'm sure he'll need some redirection for awhile. But I want to form good habits from the start.

Jennifer -- I have only been doing atrium presentations with a Mass kit with my husband for a few weeks now. I too had your same concerns and this is what ended up working for us. We have Daddy and two-year old set-up for Mass first (very reverently and quietly) while 5 yo. and 3 yo. do something else in the kitchen. When he's done 2 yo. comes back, happy from being included and ready for a snack and leaves the older boys alone while they do atrium with Daddy.
Howevever this only works because we do it with Daddy, so I have help. He does all the Mass presentations. If dh wasn't doing this with me, I would have to wait until nap time because my 2 yo. would not just sit in my lap or let the kids do their presentations quietly, etc. -- I can't speak for your 2 yo. though!!

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: March 18 2007 at 9:25pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Thanks so much Maryan!! This is definitely good food for thought. It sounds like most of you really try to stick with the older kids for presentations - and let the 2's nap or involve them with Daddy. Unfortunately, I won't have the opportunity you have with Daddy - I'll be doing the presentations myself during the day. Maybe I'll try to feel things out a bit. I was reading on an older thread what is an atrium and some great insights that Moira Farrell gave about the home atrium. I was surprised to find that she mentions her 2 year old sitting in her lap for presentations. Maybe her 2 year old was closer to 3??? Mine is 2 and 3 months - but her point was that she purposely tried to include everyone in the presentations - even the 2 year old. Maybe I'll give it a try - then if it's just too much chaos, I'll have to move presentations to naptime like Theresa suggested.

Question - do you guys leave your materials out and low for the older (and younger) to access freely? How do you set up the physical part of your home atrium? Do you move the precious pieces out of reach, but make them available to older students by putting them on a higher shelf??   Anyone have any pictures?? I'm so visual - I'd really love to see how you all have your materials set up.

Jennifer
Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 19 2007 at 1:02pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Jennifer -

1. I agree that it would be better for your 2 year old to be there, mine is just not at a sit still stage. If you can do it, it seems that that would be best.

2. I haven't done her other presentations (yet) - so I only have the Mass materials which I store inside our altar -- I don't have a good picture yet -- I'll post one when I do!

3. However, until we are done with all the Mass presentations, the altar is not open to "play" at will. Again this is just how it works for me: We do Moira's presentations once a week on Friday. And then we repeat that presentation until the boys have it down, and then move on, etc. There are three altogether. When we're done with the presentations - then the boys will know how to use the vessels appropriately, so I'll let them have access to the Mass kit -- one at a time with permission. I just want to keep the Mass kit more "sacred" than our other hands-on materials - so this is my chosen method.

4. I haven't been able to do her other presentations yet -- I'm hoping to read up this summer and try for next Fall.

5. You'll have to share what you do, so we have some more food for thought!!

There are so many other ladies that are experts in this area -- I'd follow their advice, I'm just sharing what works for us.

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 19 2007 at 3:03pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Again, I am just starting, but our altar materials will be put up IN sight but OUT of reach, so that dc must ask for them. They can do them anytime, they just have to ask. That way I can make sure they are handling them appropriately until I am confident they will do so on their own. Like Maryan, I want to make sure the proper reverence is shown.
My toddler is younger than yours (17 months) and not ready to handle them yet, so that is why I plan to do the presentations at naptime. Next year he will certainly be included. And I will likely include him in some of the other presentations, just not the altar ones yet.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

BrendaPeter
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 21 2007 at 6:03am | IP Logged Quote BrendaPeter

lapazfarm wrote:
Thanks, Brenda. I used the symbols Jenn provided (scroll up in the thread a bit) and just photocopied them on cream cardstock. They fit perfectly.

Very clever!

Brenda (mom to 6)
Back to Top View BrendaPeter's Profile Search for other posts by BrendaPeter

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 23 2007 at 6:43pm | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

Re: 2 year olds

just my experiences:

I have an atrium at home, as well as an atrium at the parish, both of which I have set up from scratch and 98% by myself - I only say this because my (now) two year old has been with me almost every single moment - since he was 19 months old (he'll be 3 in about 3 weeks).

I would suggest working one-on-one with the two year old on some of the presentations to get him acclimated to the concept. Then perhaps he would sit more or less quietly next to you or on your lap. The more exposure he has (and starting with shorter lengths of time, working up to longer) the better he will get sooner.

My son already does some of the more "basic" 3 year old work on his own, with decent skill: particular favorites are Altar I and the Liturgical Colors. He also sets up the Nativity with extreme frequency, and works with pretty much all of the 3 year old work at least a little bit - and fairly independently.

Je still insists on sitting on my lap when I'm doing a 4 or 5 year old presentation - he can be mildly disruptive at times, but at this point, it's because he's heard it already and wants to help me move the pieces, when I'm asking the other children to move the pieces.
Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: March 27 2007 at 10:34am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Thank you so much everyone for your ideas and input. I have decided to start introducing slowly. I still have a few things to get together, but the kids are really excited about all the lovely things they see being assembled. I can't wait to read more about what you're all doing here. I love this forum!

Jennifer

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 23 2007 at 6:05pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

I ordered my album today and hopefully we'll be able to purchase the Mass Kit soon!! I also bought the scripted work that Maryan did so beautifully throughout Lent and Easter. I can't wait to make my Apostles with the wooden clothespins, they are so awesome!! Thanks for all your inspiration here ladies, I'm so excited to start the atrium work with my sweeties!!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

meaculpa365
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: April 25 2007 at 10:25am | IP Logged Quote meaculpa365

hi wanted to share some ideas for starting w/ CGS or Moria's albums.
I made my materials during the year that I was being trained in CGS. So my DC only had new work once a month or so. They enjoyed the individual pieces so much-we still have memories of my youngest dd, sliping off down the hallway to use the infancy naratives materials on the bottom steps. She would be quite invovled, retelling the gospel stories to heself & moving the figures from background to background. Our figures are clothespin dolls w/ cardboard backgrounds (we used colored construction paper & drew in details w/ markers). Seriously, try not to stress out to much over their perfectness-the DC will love them no matter if their a bit lopside!

Back to Top View meaculpa365's Profile Search for other posts by meaculpa365

meaculpa365
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: April 25 2007 at 10:29am | IP Logged Quote meaculpa365

Wanted to add-we used a homemade, dollar store finds mass kit for several years b/f buying a kit. Worked just as well. Our tabernacle is a Victorian style mini greenhouse. My oldest DD removed the glass panels & made sheer gold fabric panels to fit. Easy & inexpensive! Pam in Au JMJ
Back to Top View meaculpa365's Profile Search for other posts by meaculpa365

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 25 2007 at 12:16pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Neat ideas Meaculpa, and thanks for the reminder that it doesn't all have to be big and facny or expensive to make CGS work!!
Blessings.

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

MichelleW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 25 2007 at 3:59pm | IP Logged Quote MichelleW

You guys! I am so inspired and so torn! I would so LOVE to do this, but my kids are 8 and 9 and almost 10. I just can't decide if it's worth it...

Anyway, I found a (relatively) inexpensive, but cute shepherd and sheep set here
be careful, this shop is one of those places where you could spend hours and hours...

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 27 2007 at 1:38am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

We did the Good Shepherd presentation today, since I never rallied for it during Lent

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Carole N.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 27 2007 at 8:03am | IP Logged Quote Carole N.

I am so torn (like Michelle)! My dc are 14, 12, 11. Somehow CGS just passed me by. But it looks like such a great program. My 12 yo is a bit developmently delayed and I know that my dd would probably love it. Is it too late to start with my dc?

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 27 2007 at 8:12am | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

I routinely have older children (and parents) around who are also learning (whether in my home atrium or previously at my parish atrium) - so I personally would recommend going for it - just go at their pace (quicker) and perhaps invite deeper discussion on the material, as well as historical value and morals which the older children are more ready for.
Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 27 2007 at 10:18am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Suzanne, awesome job!!

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 27 2007 at 4:26pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

SuzanneG wrote:
We did the Good Shepherd presentation today, since I never rallied for it during Lent

Just did ours today!! I didn't take pictures during, but will try to post on my blog soon when we go through it again tomorrow morning. My kids all loved it!! I did it during my littlest's nap so I wouldn't stress the first time

I also found this fun maze to accompany our teatime and discussion about how everyone liked the presentation this afternoon!

Blessings!!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 4
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version