Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: We Have a Pope! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
tovlo4801
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 19 2005 at 11:24am | IP Logged Quote tovlo4801

My husband called a little before 11:00 to let me know white smoke was pouring out of the chimney, but there were no bells. We turned on the TV and watched as everyone was a little confused wondering if it was or not. Then the bells started ringing!! I had tears and smiles and my kids were jumping up and down. We watched crowds of people running toward the square, jumping and screaming along with us. Just had to share my excitement....
Back to Top View tovlo4801's Profile Search for other posts by tovlo4801

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: April 19 2005 at 12:27pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

We watched it all too! It was SO exciting! And I am thrilled that it is Cardinal Ratzinger!!! He will certainly carry on in the spirit of Pope John Paul the Great.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 19 2005 at 1:18pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

We are just thrilled with this news! I just heard that he's from the Bavarian part of Germany. We are celebrating our new pope...any good Bavarian recipes?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Bridget
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 19 2005 at 1:50pm | IP Logged Quote Bridget

My mother keeps pointing out how amazing it is that we get this information as it happens. We get to see the white smoke , hear the bells of St. Peter's and see the new pope's first appearance.

We don't have to wait for newspapers and magazines to print their info and make their way to us.

What a joyous occasion to share with our children! Their was much cheering here and we all decided to we need a good dessert tonight to celebrate. Maybe Bavarian chocolate cake?

Back to Top View Bridget's Profile Search for other posts by Bridget Visit Bridget's Homepage

gwendyt
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: April 19 2005 at 1:52pm | IP Logged Quote gwendyt

It is very exciting! I was surprised at my reaction a bit. Kids and I were driving into town to do lunch with Daddy, and they announced it on Catholic radio @11:15 central time...I just starting crying (and it continued all the way into town - 15 min)and have had goosebumps ever since I heard the bells ringing! I have been on pins and needles waiting, but I was surprised at my strong emotions. Someone watching EWTN said the daily Mass reading was about Peter and upon this rock I will build my church...then as the priest went up to start the homily, Mass was interrupted with the announcement. This coupled with the fact that it was just Good Shepherd Sunday, gave me mega goosebumps! Praise be to God and the guidance of the Holy Spirit!

Wendy

Back to Top View gwendyt's Profile Search for other posts by gwendyt Visit gwendyt's Homepage

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 19 2005 at 2:03pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Just last week I was talking with a friend here who's Bavarian. She was confirmed by our new Pope...I guess at the time it was a big hassle and annoyance for the confirmation class (lots of changes of plans at the last minute)...but all the adults kept telling the confirmands, "This is a big privilege; some day you will be glad that he came to confirm you." What a prediction!!!!

Rejoicing!

almamater
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 19 2005 at 4:27pm | IP Logged Quote almamater

VIVA IL PAPA! That is the banner that the children and I will make together. We are very excited and optimistic about what Pope Benedict XVI will mean for our Church. I agree, some Bavarian cake and a rosary in thanksgiving for a new Holy Father and to pray to lead us in loving wisdom.

Soulful Learning
Back to Top View almamater's Profile Search for other posts by almamater

Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 19 2005 at 4:58pm | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

I was also surprised at my reaction! Lots and lots of tears - happy tears! The sheer history of it all, the unbroken apostolic successsion.....hard to put into words to the kids during that moment, but I think they realized how huge it was. We bought yellow and white flowers and sparkling lemonade to celebrate, will try to print out a picture of Pope Benedict, and pray the prayers for a new pope that are surfacing online.

We're still working on John Paul the Great's stuff....it will be very hard to put that all "away".

A great day for the Church!!!

Back to Top View Erica Sanchez's Profile Search for other posts by Erica Sanchez

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 19 2005 at 5:48pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

I had called my friend about something else, and she said "there's white smoke" so I pulled up EWTN on-line and got the live transmission -- just before they announced the new Pope ... internet went down! Boy, was I steamed! The little ones had just gone down for quiet time (Mom's, not theirs ) and I yelled out "Habemus Papam"! Well, with all the talk over the last week about the conclave, they jumped out of their rooms and started shouting, "we have a pope" -- "who is he?" About 30 minutes later we found out it was Cardinal Ratzinger!

Yeah for Pope Benedict XVI!!!!!

Viva Il Papa!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 19 2005 at 5:52pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

jenngm67 wrote:
I just heard that he's from the Bavarian part of Germany. We are celebrating our new pope...any good Bavarian recipes?

VIVA PAPA Benedict XVI!!

Today has been such an exciting day. My dd and I were just fantasizing that maybe our dear JPII knew the next pope would be his friend Cardinal Ratzinger because the next World Youth day will be in Germany!

We're searching for recipes too; desserts most likely (we love to celebrate with desserts ). The only recipe that came up on google under Bavarian was Bavarian Cream. My dad said Apple Dumplings were a good one because that's what his German mother used to make. Apple strudel is hard but an excellent choice. My mom, who's grandmother was German recommended Apple Kuchen.

Alleluia....He is Risen!!

kingvozzo
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 19 2005 at 8:26pm | IP Logged Quote kingvozzo

I'm another one who was surprised by my reaction to the news. I was on a walk with my kids, came home and went to check the email. Another homeschooler had sent an email "turn on the tv---we have a Pope!"
I gasped, screamed for the kids to come inside (mind you, they're 7, 3, and 18 months ) turned on the tv and saw him! I wasn't sure at first if it was Cardinal Ratzinger, and the tv had no name underneath. When I heard the name, I burst into tears of joy. It really seemed too much to hope for that he would be chosen. I am just completely thrilled.
My 7 y/o ds immediately began making banners to hang in the window. They said "habemus Papem." Then he tried to make the Papal flag for the window, as well.
What a great day!

God Bless you all!

Noreen
Back to Top View kingvozzo's Profile Search for other posts by kingvozzo

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: April 19 2005 at 8:35pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

Annika's German teacher (Lutheran) assigned the class (all Catholic but one Lutheran and one Jew) to write a letter to Pope Benedict in German. The kids are so excited! They all looked at Bavaria on the map, and the older classes had an interesting conversation about the protestant revolt...the older kids have Catholic teachers, so the discussions were pretty favorable to Catholics.

One German Oma said, "My husband is Polish and I am German. Now it's all in the family!"   

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: April 20 2005 at 9:43am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Would someone direct me to websites with homilies from the funeral, the Mass before the conclave, and Pope Benedict XVI's first Mass? I heard that the www.ratzingerfanclub.com site is great but it's overwhlemed and I can't get it to laod.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: April 20 2005 at 10:39am | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

Elizabeth wrote:
Would someone direct me to websites with homilies from the funeral, the Mass before the conclave, and Pope Benedict XVI's first Mass? I heard that the www.ratzingerfanclub.com site is great but it's overwhlemed and I can't get it to laod.

Funeral

Conclave and papal election

Have not seen full text of first papal Mass...

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 20 2005 at 9:14pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Am I the only one here that is having trouble adjusting? I cried with joy at the pronouncement yesterday and am thrilled with our new Holy Father. But I am still missing the Holy Father that I loved! I found a beautiful pictorial of his life today, at Target of all places, and just cried. It still seems strange the idea of calling someone else Papa. Anyone else going through this?

I never was good at change.

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 20 2005 at 9:18pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

teachingmyown wrote:
Am I the only one here that is having trouble adjusting? I cried with joy at the pronouncement yesterday and am thrilled with our new Holy Father. But I am still missing the Holy Father that I loved! I found a beautiful pictorial of his life today, at Target of all places, and just cried. It still seems strange the idea of calling someone else Papa. Anyone else going through this? I never was good at change.

Me, me, me!!! I'm so excited and thrilled with the choice of Ratzinger, but I was actually sad that with a new pope, John Paul seems farther and I'm afraid will become a distant memory. I didn't want to see his shoes filled. I'm glad I'm not the only one. I know Benedict XVI is perfect for the job, and will continue on the task well, just as JPII, but it is hard to adjust!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 21 2005 at 12:24am | IP Logged Quote Kelly

I had that same, sad feeling today at Mass when the priest prayed for "Our Pope, (and started to say, John Paul II, corrected himself and continued...) Benedict XVI" John Paul II was a wonderful Pope. That being said, don't you just KNOW Pope John Paul II has been interceding like crazy on behalf of our Church and must be tickled pink over his successor!

Kelly in FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: April 21 2005 at 8:10am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Dear Molly,
I'm glad you said it first I was beginning to wonder if I am weird. I was very happy to hear the news of our new pope but I still shed some tears again last night for the loss we've suffered. And, um, Molly, "Pope Benedict" works for me but I can't call him "Papa"--at least not yet

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)

Bridget
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 21 2005 at 8:35am | IP Logged Quote Bridget

Me too. I'm trilled with Ratzinger and have no doubt he is the Holy Spirit's desire. It's easy to see where his strengths are needed in the Church. But, maybe this is a feminine thing, we haven't had time to have a 'relationship' with yet. We may never have the same type of feelings for him. He is different.

Reading the news, they are already complaining about him. So he needs us. To pray for him, to love him and our church staunchly.   

I am so ignorant. I didn't realize he had written so much! I haven't read any of his books. Ignatius press has many. i'm looking forward to getting to know him better through reading some of his works.

Back to Top View Bridget's Profile Search for other posts by Bridget Visit Bridget's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: April 21 2005 at 8:41am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Bridget the Ratzinger Fan Club site has lots and lots of his writing online. Just reading the First Friday meditations, the homily from the funeral, the homily from the pre-conclave Mass and the remarks after his first Mass yesterday has given me a good sense of who he is.I finally got on the fan club site yesterday.

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version