Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: We Have a Pope! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 21 2005 at 8:57am | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Elizabeth,
I have been hearing people refer to Pope Benedict as our new Papa. I felt guilty that I just don't feel that affection, yet. I would think that it is just a matter of time. But then again, we can love our new Holy Father without EVER feeling that same affection that we do for John Paul II. I think so much of our affection is a result of our age and that JPII was part of our growing up, and for many of us, a big part of our return or recommitment to the Faith.

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

~Rachel~
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 21 2005 at 1:32pm | IP Logged Quote ~Rachel~

Molly,
I think we will all have a time adjusting... after all JPII was the Pope for 25 years... I dont even remember when he wasn't Pope... and it still makes me teary just thinking of it ...
I don't think we're the only ones...
We can be happy that he has gone somewhere better, but we still feel his loss.
I heard one priest say that he took comfort in knowing that although JPII was no longer here on Earth, he can now pray TO him in heaven I liked that one

Lighting a Fire
Back to Top View ~Rachel~'s Profile Search for other posts by ~Rachel~ Visit ~Rachel~'s Homepage

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 21 2005 at 1:39pm | IP Logged Quote Willa

Part of the reason I LOVE Pope Benedict is that he so obviously loved and admired Pope JPII with all his heart. I feel a kinship with him on that basis. Plus, I think he was a great influence on John Paul since they were such good friends and will do his best to carry on what he started. He sort of made that his theme, in his first few public talks as Pope.

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

Mare
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 21 2005 at 1:49pm | IP Logged Quote Mare

I am so thankful that there was such a long time between Pope John Paul II's death and his funeral. It really helped me in the grieving process. I also needed the nine days following the funeral to process that JPII was going to be replaced. What joy to find out it was Cardinal Ratzinger (aka Cardinal Rap Singer )! I just loved how the crowd started chanting "Benedicto"

Peace,

Mare

Back to Top View Mare's Profile Search for other posts by Mare

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: April 21 2005 at 1:50pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Bridget wrote:
I didn't realize he had written so much! I haven't read any of his books. Ignatius press has many. i'm looking forward to getting to know him better through reading some of his works.

I've heard that Ignatius Press has been swamped with orders for his books and that many are now on back order due to the demand. I have read Spirit of the Liturgy and Salt of the Earth . Very good.

Because of the fact that he has so much in print already his views and orthodoxy are very well known. That is the reason that the liberal groups are already saying such strong things against him and his views. It is sad and as Bridget said we need to pray for him in that regard. I can only imagine what it was like in the parish we left several years ago - there was so much dissent in that parish (liturgically and doctrinally). On many occasions I heard the administrators make very derogatory remarks about Cardinal Ratzinger. I am sure that for them the selection of Pope Benedict is a nightmare come true.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

~Rachel~
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 21 2005 at 7:34pm | IP Logged Quote ~Rachel~

at Cardinal Rap Singer... I have heard the term "Papa Ratzi" used as well as "Panzer Pope"...
he obviously has numerous nicknames .
Personally I think the liberal groups are just wanting him to OK it for them to sin!

Lighting a Fire
Back to Top View ~Rachel~'s Profile Search for other posts by ~Rachel~ Visit ~Rachel~'s Homepage

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: April 21 2005 at 9:14pm | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

teachingmyown wrote:
Am I the only one here that is having trouble adjusting?

Like others, I'm thrilled that Ratzinger was elected, but, like others, I'm still having a hard time visualizing anyone else but John Paul II as "Pope." I know that Pope Benedict is a very holy man, and that Pope JPII is a saint. I am sure that once I get to know Pope Benedict better, it won't seem so strange. Thanks, Elizabeth, for recommending the "fan club" site. I will try to get over there soon.
Back to Top View cathhomeschool's Profile Search for other posts by cathhomeschool

juliecinci
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 22 2005 at 9:50am | IP Logged Quote juliecinci

<<I am sure that for them the selection of Pope Benedict is a nightmare come true.>>

What I hear on the Xavier campus is anxiety that the advances of Vatican II will be reversed with the selection of Cardinal Ratzinger. As pope, he is seen as moving the church backward. The hero for many of the progressive Catholics I know (on campus and in my family) was John XXIII. They loved and admired JPII while strongly disagreeing with some of his positions.

Julie

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 23 2005 at 8:03am | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Well, I'm back after a computer problem that kept me offline for a few days. What terrible timing, because I so wanted to share my joy at the election of Cardinal Ratzinger as Pope! We have been celebrating here ever since the announcement.

Julie writes:
>What I hear on the Xavier campus is anxiety that the advances of Vatican >II will be reversed with the selection of Cardinal Ratzinger

As I read this, I think of the beautiful words of Pope John Paul II, "Be not afraid." Cardinal Ratzinger was a consultant during Vatican II, and I think he will be an excellent Pope for all Catholics. We need to pray for him though--he certainly has a tough act to follow.

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: April 23 2005 at 8:44am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

juliecinci wrote:
<<I am sure that for them the selection of Pope Benedict is a nightmare come true.>>

What I hear on the Xavier campus is anxiety that the advances of Vatican II will be reversed with the selection of Cardinal Ratzinger. As pope, he is seen as moving the church backward. The hero for many of the progressive Catholics I know (on campus and in my family) was John XXIII. They loved and admired JPII while strongly disagreeing with some of his positions.

Julie

I have found that John XXIII seems to be the hero for those who wish to abandon tradition for their interpretation of Vatican II. They are thrilled with him for calling the Council--and they attribute all sorts of intentions to the convening of the Council. It never ceases to perplex me that people think that John Paul II and now, Benedict XVI, are misinterpreting the intent of Vatican Council II. They were there at the writing! They are authors of Vatican II. And when a certain young priest I know, who is no intellectual giant and who wasn't even alive when the council was convened or when it finished, tells me that the Pope has it wrong, his logic is so faulty that it would be laughable--except that this is my CHURCH he's messing with. I hope that our new POpe strikes at the heart of any ambiguity, whether real or imagined. Wouldn't it be grand if the beliefs and practices were truly Universal?

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 23 2005 at 11:44am | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

teachingmyown wrote:
Am I the only one here that is having trouble adjusting? I cried with joy at the pronouncement yesterday and am thrilled with our new Holy Father. But I am still missing the Holy Father that I loved! I found a beautiful pictorial of his life today, at Target of all places, and just cried. It still seems strange the idea of calling someone else Papa. Anyone else going through this?

I never was good at change.

Sorry to respond to this late, but this is exactly how I felt (feel), especially prior to the selection of our new Holy Father. I will always miss Pope John Paul the Great and feel a deep sense of loss even now--it's almost worse now, in fact, because the reality of his death has had time to sink in. Still, I am happy that our new Pope is someone who was so close to him.

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version