Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Picture Book Discoveries
 4Real Forums : Picture Book Discoveries
Subject Topic: How to Make an Apple Pie & See the World Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 29 2006 at 2:18pm | IP Logged Quote Chari

Has anyone rowed this book? Any great ideas?

Thanks for sharing! I appreciate the help!

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 29 2006 at 2:57pm | IP Logged Quote Chari

Elizabeth,

do we still have access to the files at the rabbit trail yahoo group.....or are they somewhere on here? I have been searching......thanks!

Courtney
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 29 2006 at 3:28pm | IP Logged Quote Courtney

We bought as many different kinds of apples at the store as we could find. I think we had at least 7-9 different ones. We then charted them based on how firm/crispy they were, sweetness, color, size, and probably some other things I'm forgetting. The kids loved it! Then we used our apple/peeeler/corer/slicer and made an apple pie using all the different apples. It made some great memories. I'll try and post the picture from it.

Back to Top View Courtney's Profile Search for other posts by Courtney

Courtney
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 29 2006 at 3:35pm | IP Logged Quote Courtney

I just realized I can't put a photo on here, but I'll try and PM it to you.

Back to Top View Courtney's Profile Search for other posts by Courtney

ChristinaK
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Aug 29 2006 at 3:46pm | IP Logged Quote ChristinaK

We did the apple tasting experiment too. I think we had about 12 different kind of apples. DS picked out one of every kind that the grocery store had. He really enjoyed that activity. We also made the apple pie from the book except I used store bought crust because I'm not good at making pie crust. We made butter and did a virtual tour of a dairy farm online.

For go along books, we read books about apples, sugar, dairy cows, and France. Have you looked at the archives on the FIAR board? There are usually quite a few good ideas on there. I think that is where I got the link for the virtual dairy farm tour.
Back to Top View ChristinaK's Profile Search for other posts by ChristinaK Visit ChristinaK's Homepage

Jen L.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 29 2006 at 5:34pm | IP Logged Quote Jen L.

Here's some information:

1) Link to Meredith's ideas

2) Great links, recipes, and ideas at FIAR boards

Back to Top View Jen L.'s Profile Search for other posts by Jen L.

Jen L.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 29 2006 at 5:36pm | IP Logged Quote Jen L.

I don't think Cay will mind my posting this (I'm 99% sure that it's from the CCM Yahoo list back in 2004)

We have our first FIAR Circle tomorrow. Thought I'd share our *circle* plans with all of you. Don't let it intimitate you. What we can't cover, we won't worry about. Also, I have 4 moms and two older girls (twins) assisting with the various centers and the assembly line painting projects. I'm hoping it goes smoothly...praying. : ) It is very detailed but I have to do this to keep it in order and flowing smoothly with such a large group. This is nothing like what I do with our books at home. This is a once-a-month grouping, so I'm squeezing a week into an hour and a half.

All ideas came from the FIAR site: http://www.fiveinarow.com/ubb/Forum22/HTML/000020.html    ******

Five in a Row Plans "How to Make an Apple Pie and See the World"

(September 2004)

* Parents Needed for marked activities

* Sign Folders... distribute literature folders and travel passports ( http://www.letsplayyoga.com/fiar/lessons/fc_passport.pdf )

* Guessing Game (Apple/ Pie/ Cinnamon Smell) (When they guess apple and/or pie/ cinnamon, they go to hand painting)

* Hand Painting (Side of hand dipped in brown paint for tree, thumb in green paint for leaves, pinkie finger in red paint for apples)

* Hand washing

Sit down - "buckle up your seatbelts (We're going on a trip around the world)"

Ask where everyone would like to travel if they could go anywhere in the world...write locations on pieces of paper to select from later

Seven Elements of a Story- go over them and have children write 1st one (Characters) on folder page 1 (spider web)

Story Time - Have volunteer use miniature boat, plane, bicycle for traveling to locations on wall map

Children place star stickers on their folder maps (page 2) while listening to story

Italy: Foods Italy is famous for - pizza, spaghetti

France: notice Paris sign on train, Eiffel Tower in background, bicycle is common transportation

Sri Lanka: pear-shaped island...have children pronounce name, cinnamon comes from rainforest tree (find Mexico on map ---largest importer of cinnamon)

England: Notice cottages with flowers and the castle...represents the good manners in England known for its royalty (kings and queens) and tea time

Jamaica: Bananas grow in Jamaica along with sugar cane...reason for banana boat

Vermont: Where in the US do they grow apples besides Vermont? (Washington State/Oregon/ Michigan)

Fall (or autumn) is harvest time for apple picking

Followed by book discussion

Memory Game - have children do pantomime for modes of transportation...use laminated cards(found at http://www.letsplayyoga.com/fiar/lessons/match.htm

What can be made with apples (2nd color sheet-go over apple items---pie, cider, jelly, etc.)

Go over apple sayings

Go over medicinal purposes of apples and cinnamon

Read facts sheet about Johnny Appleseed

Johnny Appleseed book

Compass page (page 4)

Do fractions with apples (set green apple slices, yellow slices and red slices separately)

Go over pictures and flag of Sri Lanka ~ Show lamanated pictures of this country's scenery and landscape...place in country folder (have children repeat this country's name) ( pass around a cinnamon stick to feel and smell)

* Measurement and Chemistry ( ½ cup applesauce ½ cup cinnamon--- Mold into shapes)

* Apple Taste Test (pg. 3)

* Apple Prints (pg. 5)

* Discuss egg carrying (give out eggs in sandwich baggie to take home...see how long they last without breaking)

Put country stamps on passports

* Collect folders & passports/ Distribute handmade apple trees/Give out apple poem to bring to Mom

Have a drawing for the next country trip

* Measure out apple juice / apple newtons

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 29 2006 at 6:15pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Thanks for the mention JenL!!    What wonderful plans, we lapbooked this one 2 years ago, I'll try and upload it to my blog this week, it was an awesome book

Have fun everyone, we're still doing Tigers and deep into Ancient Egypt right now...
Cheers!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 29 2006 at 7:18pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Gosh, that's old, Jen.
Glad you still had a copy of it. I have no idea where my copy is...probably on the old computer.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 29 2006 at 7:21pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

I love this book. We row it almost every year and my girls never tire of it. We combined it with a unit on apples and included a book on Johnny Appleseed, tracing and labeling the parts of an apple and an apple blossom, and a scripture in proverbs about apples too that escapes me now at the moment. We also did the apple tasting experiment and of course, made apple pie at the end of the 2 weeks.

Great book, great memories. This is the one thing I am so grateful to FIAR for, even though I don't use it as designed. By rowing books, they really do become treasured and loved and remembered.

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 29 2006 at 7:47pm | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

We rowed this book two years ago and my sons (5 and 3 then) loved it. Now I'm thinking my dd 4 would love it. I'm going to print out all these great ideas and have an apple week at the end of September. Thanks!

Back to Top View Cheryl's Profile Search for other posts by Cheryl Visit Cheryl's Homepage

ShawnaB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 29 2006 at 8:52pm | IP Logged Quote ShawnaB

Chari, thanks for the reminder to get out this book! I'm going to use it to kick-off our school year...a great mini-unit to get us all going. And a great refresher on all the geography we learned last year and will be continuing this year. I love FIAR because it appeals across such a large age range.    Maybe we can do some activities together??

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 09 2006 at 4:19pm | IP Logged Quote Chari

Thanks for the help everyone! We are starting this week. Thanks esp for the links, Jen! For some reason I have a lot of diffculty exploring the FIAR message boards....I REALLY appreciate OUR boards!!........but this link put me right where I want to be.....I had already looked there.....but found nothing like this!

Thanks, again, for sharing!

Yes, Shawna! Let's combine resources! There are some lovely apple books at our library..........with Amelia in mind.

Jen L.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 09 2006 at 8:47pm | IP Logged Quote Jen L.

Cay Gibson wrote:
Gosh, that's old, Jen.
Glad you still had a copy of it. I have no idea where my copy is...probably on the old computer.

I'm a long time fan, Cay (of you and the CCM community) . Also, I am more than a bit of a packrat (but it does pay off sometimes!)

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version