Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Festivals Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 16 2006 at 10:06am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Have you checked out Buona Festa! Happy Feast! at A Gypsy Caravan? What a wonderful celebration!

How can we find festivals like this? Any hints and tips? Any festivals you'd include on a Life-Long Must Do List?

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 16 2006 at 11:08am | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

Jen,

There is a wonderful festival in honor of St. Francis of Assisi at Franciscan University in Steubenville, Ohio. We attended last year. It is one you don't want to miss.

Thank you for mentioning my Feast of the Assumption post at A Gypsy Caravan. The festival is such a wonderful way to spend the day. We try not to miss!
Back to Top View Rebecca's Profile Search for other posts by Rebecca

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 16 2006 at 2:21pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Oh, one of my favorite topics! Caution: I talk too much in this thread!

I loved your post, Rebecca. That's nice of you to mention FUS festival. When I graduated in 1997 it was only beginning and had nothing to brag about...I would have never recommended it back then! Now you have made me think I should go back for my 10 year reunion and check it out!

This thread reminds me of Gwen's great idea of Liturgical Year Field Trips.

I'm always in search of festivals. There are three we attend regularly, but they are little. Pittsburgh has some others I would like to know more about. It helps to live nearby to learn about the festivals. I'd say areas that had large ethnic groups that came in the 1800s will probably have some festivals. That's just a general statement. I know Pennsylvania, Ohio, Baltimore, Chicago, New York, Boston and the surrounding areas burst with Old World ethnic customs. And New Orleans and surrounding areas with their St. Joseph Day Altars is a festival not to missed.

Sadly, the religious air is missing or almost gone from many of these...It's not a new phenomenon, as the Directory on Popular Piety mentions this, that many times traditions are merely actions without spiritual intent. But that doesn't mean one can't attend them, and to trace back the customs is very interesting to me.

Josef Pieper in his In Tune With the World: A Theory of Festivity talks about how man needs the festivals, but we need a balance. We must have the work to have the festive time. We can't always be festive. And we can't always work. So, viva las festas!

The ones I attend: The first is a parish festival of Our Lady of Mount Carmel in Altoona, PA. I couldn't find a website. Dh is good friends with the family that practically runs it each year. It's not as elaborate as Rebecca's, but the Italian touches and the Marian traditions are endearing. It's just a special time that we like to make a visit back to Altoona in time. We missed it this year, which was disappointing.

The other festival is the Ukrainian festival at the Ukrainian National Shrine in Washington, DC the Sunday before Palm Sunday. I've posted info here before. Again, it is small. I just get a little taste of Ukrainian foods, music, Ukrainian items for sale, and then a workshop to make pysanky eggs.

Every Labor Day we go back to Altoona for the opening Penn State game, and then to Johnstown for the Cambria Folk Festival. It's changed somewhat, as Johnstown wanted to take a cut of the Church's fundraising, so the churches started their own festival, the Cambria City Ethnic Food Festival. Have you heard of the floods of Johnstown? Then you will really enjoy this festival. Cambria City's Historic District has several city blocks with churches. I think I counted about 12 different ones. Almost all ethnic groups are represented. There was the German, Polish, French, Irish, Hungarian, Slovakian...I can't think of them all. There is an Russian orthodox, Ukrainian rite...etc. Most churches are open for tours and they are amazing. There are other parish festivals in the year, which will have more ethnicity, but I enjoy this getting a "taste" of the food and seeing the Churches. So far there is no real information online. I try to find info from the churches and get the times. It's a nice treat on Sunday to walk up the streets and visit the churches and taste the food. Skip the vendors and go straight to the parish halls where the women and men have been cooking real ethnic food. Yummy.

A festival I remember reading (this is what I mentioned on your blog, Rebecca) from My Nameday -- Come for Dessert by Helen McLoughlin. I can honestly say reading that description as a teenager really ignited a fire to see festivals in my lifetime.
Here's her excerpt:
The Vigil of Mount Carmel in Little Italy. Because our daughter bears the name Carmel and is part Italian, we celebrate the vigil in Little Italy, where half a million people from far and near keep festival like a country fair for a week each year. In the parish of Our Lady of Mount Carmel on the fringe of Harlem lights arch the streets and festoon lamp-posts like diamond necklaces.

Families move large tables to the city streets and sit out to enjoy the music, dancing and food. Behind the chairs, city buses creep cautiously, close enough to scrape off the varnish, it seems. All along the tenemented streets vendors sell their wares. In booths stoves steam with oysters. The night is permeated with the pungent aromas of sizzling sausage and spicy pepper. From vats of bubbling fat pop golden zeppoles, fried doughballs, hot, sugared and tempting. Hawkers fly whistling birds and giant balloons. Others call out, "Tortoni, spumoni, nougats!" Torrone is stacked by the pound beside S-shaped gingerbread and pasta, the sweet cake of Pallo, on carts at street corners.

With the peddlers' cries are mingled the music of Verdi from the bandstand, the squeals of children swaying on ferris wheels high above parking lots taken over for the feast, and the screech of a careening fire engine. In stalls along the streets are displayed tawdry medals and religious wares, bracelets, earrings, cuff-links marked with the emblem of the Virgin of Mount Carmel.

In the street stalls near the church, candles four feet high, some symbolically decorated, are sold. Penitents bear them lighted in the ten-block parade on July 16. Inside the church we hear the praises of the Virgin in the liquid peasant accent of southern Italy. Great crowds walk slowly in line to the altars for scapulars, which are worn publicly during the feastdays. An offering is made at the altar. Beneath a picture of the Virgin are streamers, green with dollar bills pinned there by the faithful seeking favors from Our Lady and by penitents who crowd the church on the vigil.

The Virgin of Mount Carmel stands on a throne of white and gold marble high above the altar with its sea of three-hundred vigil lights. She wears a white silk robe embroidered with real gold lace and sparkling gems; her Infant is dressed to match. Her hair is shoulder length, jet black and straight. Their crowns are gold and bear large emeralds set in diamonds, gifts of St. Pius X, who gave consent to the Virgin's coronation as an endorsement of her miracles. Once every twenty-five years the Virgin and Child are carried in the streets in a public celebration. White pigeons sprung from a cage precede the procession.

The feastday itself. On the feastday proper we take our child (also part Irish) downtown to the Scapular Church of Our Lady of Mount Carmel to attend solemn Vespers and Compline. Services over, the church gates are closed to the public and the street is barricaded to prepare for the procession. Toward evening the parade of Our Lady of Mount Carmel begins. Carmelite priests, their brown and white habits flying, head the procession up First Avenue, followed by the Veterans of Foreign Wars and bagpipers, whose stirring hymn, Faith of Our Fathers, gives the step. A giant drummer twirls and swirls his drumsticks as he leads the children of Carmel from 23rd Street up to 30th on First Avenue, then down Second Avenue to 28th Street.

The Women's Auxiliary of the Veterans of Foreign Wars prays in procession as it carries a gigantic rosary. Every bead is baseball size, each decade a half a block long. Irish cultural societies parade with accordion bands. Pipers lead Hibernians who have come to the sweltering city from Long Island and Connecticut to march in honor of the Virgin of Mount Carmel. Irish county associations bear the banners of little-known patron saints of Ireland.

Last to parade are Third Order Carmelites, who wear wide brown badges, part of their habit. For seven hundred years the Gaels have followed Our Lady of Mount Carmel and their steadfast devotion to her is a tribute to the Carmelite Fathers.

When the procession reaches East 28th Street, the bands strike their grandest airs. Waiting on the steps of the priory are a mitred bishop, resplendent in gold, and monsignori, sweltering in crimson as the broiling sun slants on the tenements and crowds. It is a thrilling sight to watch. "Let Erin remember the days of old e'er her faithless sons betrayed her," comes clear and strong from the bagpipes of one band. The next skirls an ancient Marian hymn as it proceeds to the church.

Fourth-degree Knights of Columbus in plumed tricorns, crimson-lined capes and gleaming sabres prepare to follow the bands. Altar boys, cassocked in gold, swing lanterns uneasily in the oppressive heat as Carmelites, monsignori and the bishop enter the crowded East Side church.

The sermon is short, for the night is hot. The choir could be better still, this is a tribute which the Virgin of Mount Carmel will most certainly accept.

In the vestibule of the church, Knights, flag-bearers, kilted Irishmen and a motley congregation prepare to leave. On a pedestal Elias, the prophet, his arm outstretched with a torch, looks wild-eyed at this group who have honored his Lady of Mount Carmel.

We take our daughter home. The antiphon of Mother Mary's feast keeps running through the mind: "All the majesty of Lebanon is bestowed on her, all the grace of Carmel and Sharon, alleluia!" Our dessert is a simple gold cake with a chocolate frosting, or a molded dessert (see Bombe Carmen), or a panettoni cake bought from hawkers at the vigil.

And here's the festival info online.

I've come across other festivals once in a while in Googling (Back when I was writing for Catholic Culture). This site :http://www.festivals.com/ was promising back then, but most festivals listed are no longer religious.
Italians R Us has a nice list of festivals.

I found another in Brooklyn, http://www.olmcfeast.com/ --Festa del Giglio which is fascinating, too.

It's not too late for these festivals:

In Cambridge, MA there is an Italian festival in honor of Saints Cosmas and Damian the Healing Saints.

St. Anthony Feast in Boston, MA.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 16 2006 at 5:07pm | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

Thanks for the excerpt about the festival of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel, Jenn. It sounds lovely, for sure! I appreciate the other links you posted as well. It would be so much fun to travel the country and see all the special feasts.

I am most interested in las Posadas. Does anyone have this as a local celebration? My children and I are so intrigued by it and have several books about it.

I understand that many of the festivals are becoming more secularized. Our Feast of the Assumption festival is like a secular carnival except on the feast day itself. In other words, many people come just for the food and fun. People play bingo and other games and don't give a thought to Our Lady. We always go on the feast day itself which is chock full of faith and reverence for her, as I mentioned on my blog.

There are many pro-life tables and vendors there throughout the entire event, not only on the actual feast itself as well as many images of Our Lady. (So I believe that many people are being reached who did not expect to be evangelized.) There is also a shrine set up in a tent where people can light candles and sit to pray. It really is a wonderful event.

Sadly, many faithful Catholics that I know stopped going to the Feast here years ago because they did not like the carnival atmosphere or that non-Catholics were there who did not intend to pay homage to Our Lady. I guess I feel that the Feast will not stay reverent and traditional if everyone who loves Our Lady stays at home and mopes that they have to mingle with the general public. Plus it is just a great living way to share the fullness of the faith with my chidren. They love to go!
Back to Top View Rebecca's Profile Search for other posts by Rebecca

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 16 2006 at 5:47pm | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

JennGM wrote:
Oh, one of my favorite topics! Caution: I talk too much in this thread!

Keep talking, Jenn! You are such an inspiration!

I'd like to figure out some really cool website or something that I could find festivals as we are traveling or even at home (why do I always read about them the next day in the newspaper?

Rebecca, I keep thinking about your awesome experience, I guess I'm jealous

Keep the ideas coming, ladies! I keep trying to find some festivals I've been thinking/remembering about, haven't had much luck, let me try some of your sites, Jenn!

Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 16 2006 at 6:39pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

marihalojen wrote:
I'd like to figure out some really cool website or something that I could find festivals as we are traveling or even at home (why do I always read about them the next day in the newspaper?

I just found two that might help. First is Wilson's Almanac

The second was a link from that site, http://www.loc.gov/folklife/roots/. This includes secular festivals, but it's a start.

This site included a San Rocco Festival in Pittsburgh. Today is the feast day, so it must be near this date.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 16 2006 at 7:09pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Rebecca wrote:
Thanks for the excerpt about the festival of Our Sadly, many faithful Catholics that I know stopped going to the Feast here years ago because they did not like the carnival atmosphere or that non-Catholics were there who did not intend to pay homage to Our Lady. I guess I feel that the Feast will not stay reverent and traditional if everyone who loves Our Lady stays at home and mopes that they have to mingle with the general public. Plus it is just a great living way to share the fullness of the faith with my chidren. They love to go!

So true, Rebecca. We have to be the ones to make the change or turn back the clock. And there are elements to be secular in a carnival or festival. It's natural. What do we do every day? We say our morning offering, giving EVERYTHING --prayers, works, joys, sufferings. Our day has lots of secular things, but it's dedicated to God. Our actions are sanctified, and become a prayer. Cooking, eating, playing becomes a prayer. Others can't see it, but God can. That's how we have food and feasts intertwined...it's all connected. We are both spiritual and corporal beings. A festival shouldn't be purely spiritual. It's dedicated to Mary, it's in her honor, and we remember the day through, but our joy, laughter, eating, drinking, merriment is offered to her, too.

Sorry for rambling...I know I'm preaching to the choir. I'm reminded of the story of St. Philip Neri playing billiards. Someone asked if he knew he were to die that moment, what would he do. He said he'd keep on playing.

Just because we're Catholic doesn't mean we can't have fun, nor does it mean that every minute is surrounded by active prayer (as opposed to practicing the presence of God, all our actions are a prayer).

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 17 2006 at 6:22pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

Las Golondrinas, a living history museum in Santa Fe has a few festivals on their calendar. I know I've seen a festival with procession for St. Isidore in the past but I can't find it now.

Earlier this month there was a Summer Festival and Frontier days. In September there is a Fiesta de los Ninos. And in Oct. there is a Harvest Festival.

It is amazing how they have taken every Catholic aspect out of the festivals in a region that was steeped in the faith and Catholic culture. Nevertheless, I'm itching to get down to Santa Fe for one of these events. I know MaryM's been but I think she's a little busy getting ready to leave town right now.

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 10 2006 at 5:19pm | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Jenn, Rebecca, Gwen,

Inspired by you, we attended an Irish Fest in Kansas City last weekend and it was fabulous! Outdoor Celtic Mass on Sunday and everything - hurray!

Found out about it, not on any of the cool sites mentioned, but on a billboard leaving the airport!   

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 10 2006 at 6:00pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

marihalojen wrote:
Jenn, Rebecca, Gwen,

Inspired by you, we attended an Irish Fest in Kansas City last weekend and it was fabulous! Outdoor Celtic Mass on Sunday and everything - hurray!

Found out about it, not on any of the cool sites mentioned, but on a billboard leaving the airport!   

How neat! That's keeping your eyes open!

Our family stopped one day impromptu when we saw a sign up for a Church festival. We were so glad we did.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version