Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
 4Real Forums : Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
Subject Topic: Help with earth science resources? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 24 2006 at 6:25am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Rats, I just lost a big post, but here goes again ...

What about earth's natural resources as an earth science topic?

We (meaning my 4 yo Science Channel fan and I ) caught the tail end of a show about shipbuilding and it got me to thinking about the ways which we (humans) use the earth's abundant resources - lumber, water, oil, rocks etc. I thought we could touch upon history (how our needs and consumption habits have changed through the years), conservation (being good stewards of the earth) and those people who have made a difference (such as Teddy Roosevelt, Robert Kennedy Jr., etc.).

Anyway - just thinking aloud ...

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 24 2006 at 8:40am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Sounds like an awesome idea!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: July 24 2006 at 8:48am | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

An interesting place to start might be the Bureau of Land Management http://www.blm.gov/nhp/index.htm.

The Mineral Information Institute http://www.mii.org/ has cheap or free stuff for your classroom.

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

~Rachel~
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 26 2006 at 9:50am | IP Logged Quote ~Rachel~

And if you are still looking for some books, you can always check out the new bookfinder on Simply Charlotte Mason

Lighting a Fire
Back to Top View ~Rachel~'s Profile Search for other posts by ~Rachel~ Visit ~Rachel~'s Homepage

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 06 2006 at 10:50am | IP Logged Quote Karen T

I was just looking through Rainbow Resources' catalog for some earth science stuff and came across a couple of books to ask about. I'm looking more for a spine, to help me organize what order I'm teaching this in, as well as possibly activities to tie in, not so much a textbook. I had looked at Macbeth's page on earth science and I think our library only has one of the books she's recommended

Here are the ones from RR I'm looking at
Earth Science the Easy Way
it says it's for grades 7-12 (I'll be teaching an 8th grader, with more activities for the youngers)
Earth Science
says grades 5-8

and last, has anyone used any of hte lyrical science CD's, esp the earth science one?

After reading the previous posts with all the recommendations I'm sure i can put together a lot of stuff, but I still think it might be easier for me to have something to fall back on when I can't get to the library, or to make sure I cover each part. We did astronomy for a whole year in 6th grade, so probably won't do very much with it this time.

Karen
Back to Top View Karen T's Profile Search for other posts by Karen T

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 26 2006 at 4:29pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Karen T wrote:
Here are the ones from RR I'm looking at
Earth Science the Easy Way
it says it's for grades 7-12 (I'll be teaching an 8th grader, with more activities for the youngers)
Earth Science
says grades 5-8

Karen, I could not find the first book at RR, but is this the book at Amazon? I used the search feature and I like the way it looks.

I too would like something as a spine - a jumping off point. This is what I am doing with history (using Usborne World History) and it makes planning things out so much easier for me.

And one more earth science topic to ask about: composting. Please pardon my ignorance but would this be considered earth science (or life science)? Not that it matters, of course. Ds11 is suddenly *extremely* interested in writing a "report" on composting (his idea not mine!). I thought it might be a fun way to kick off our new year (and get back to our composting habit which has been lax of late).

Any composting-unit ideas (or is that a whole separate thread?)

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Aug 26 2006 at 4:44pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

Composting is both. Of course, nature study is interdisciplinary, too.

The earth is unique in the solar system, as it has a biological component to its geology. Cool, huh?

Starting a composting thread, especially this time of year, would be a great idea. <hint hint>

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 26 2006 at 5:06pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

yes, that is the same book. It should be here anyday now; I ended up going with that one. I also have vanCleave's books EArth science for every kid, which is activities the younger ones will have fun with. The thing I don't like about van Cleave, though, is that most of her activities use household items to show how something works but don't actually involve the kids in real science IMO. I know that doesn't make sense, but for example, in one of her bug books for young kids, she has the kid make a bug out of marshmallows and toothpicks and "catch" it with a net, etc. My kids are out there actually catching real bugs almost daily; marshmallows don't equal bugs to them.

karen T

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 26 2006 at 5:10pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

Re: composting, I've been composting in a simple bin outside for years. This year I decided to try a worm bin for the kids. I ordered worms, prepared everything and they did fine for about a month, but now they've all died. I think it's been too hot; they're in the carport and temps have been mid-90's most of the summer. So the bin is now just a small mini-composter.
also, I've read claims of one worm bin being able to handle the scraps (fruit/vegetable) of a family of 4 each week. I had 1000 worms originally, and believe me, they could not handle more than a few potato peelings each week. I'd like to hear more tips on worms.

Karen T

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 26 2006 at 5:45pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Karen T wrote:
yes, that is the same book. It should be here anyday now; I ended up going with that one. I also have vanCleave's books EArth science for every kid, which is activities the younger ones will have fun with.

Karen, I'm very glad to hear that you went with that book! I just popped it in my Amazon cart (library doesn't have a copy). I'll be eager to hear how you use it!

I know what you mean about the VanCleave books. I have never really gotten "into" them. My library has a copy; I was thinking of checking it out.

I'd like a hands-on earth science activities book to round out the other one. I was thinking How the Earth Works looked good, or perhaps Geology Rocks as Julia suggested.

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 26 2006 at 5:47pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Karen T wrote:
I'd like to hear more tips on worms.

Karen T

Karen, I started a new thread on composting ~ I'll bet there will be worm suggestions there.

Karen T
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 11 2006 at 4:14pm | IP Logged Quote Karen T

Dawn wrote:

Karen, I'm very glad to hear that you went with that book! I just popped it in my Amazon cart (library doesn't have a copy). I'll be eager to hear how you use it!

Dawn, I wish I'd followed your link and ordered the book (Earth Science the easy way) from Amazon. It's been almost a month since I ordered it from Rainbow Resources and no show yet. I'd placed another order a few days prior to it but paid for the expedited handling (but not shipping) and it came within about 5 days, so I figured this would come maybe in 2 weeks tops. we're just reading library books and doing nature study waiting on the other book now.
Karen T

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version