Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
 4Real Forums : Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
Subject Topic: Composting! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 26 2006 at 5:39pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

I've been picking brains in the earth science thread and since the conversation has turned to composting, it's time for a new thread!

My ds11 came in tonight for supper all fired up with the idea to write a "report" on composting! We have composted in the past, but lately have been lax. We keep a small bin under the kitchen sink and a large one out by the back fence.

So my question is two-fold ~ do you compost in your home (and how/why) and have you ever studied composting with your children (and how/why)?

I thought this would be a fun study to kick off our new year of science and MacBeth pointed out its a good time for composting in general.

Thoughts, advice, resources?

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Aug 26 2006 at 7:57pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

One thing I suggest--no books required!--is to keep a compost in a jar at home, in the house. That way you can see a miniature of what is happening in the bin.

If possible, keep an open pile, not a closed bin, so you can see what's happening, take the temp inside the pile, etc.

Experiment with the soil you get from compost vs. the soil you have in the yard...maybe compare it to commercial compost, too.

If you have the room, keep several piles, but add only greens to one, and mixed veggies to the other. Compare compost quality, time to break down, etc.

Take core samples.

See what lives in the pile. Use a microscope if possible.

See what grows around the pile (often weeds) taking advantage of the nutrient run off.

Video the pile at night. We have an opossum who loves to visit.

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 26 2006 at 9:28pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

That reminds me, when I taught middle school science we did an experiment with compost piles much like MacBeth describes. We varied our percentages of different things we put into them (dry leaves, lawn clippings, vegetable scraps, water) and then took daily readings of temperature, measured the height, looked at critters, and then did nutrient analysis at the end. It was very interesting!And the kids really enjoyed it.
BTW We used wire cages to contain the piles, I think maybe 10 in all.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 26 2006 at 10:05pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Yes we compost -- vermicompost, to be precise. No, haven't done many studies, but keep the discussion going and maybe we'll get motivated

The most activity we've had around the compost bin is running away from it after putting in our scraps and hearing the slurps. (Don't ask me what I was thinking, but I never thought those cute little worms we got when we first began vermi-composting would multiply so fast and get so big!!!)

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Cici
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 26 2006 at 10:28pm | IP Logged Quote Cici

Stef,

Are you telling me you actually hear the worms slurpping? Really Truly?

I was thinking about doing a little "vermi-composting" around here (mostly for the fun of the worms with my children), but I'm not sure I could handle that kind of noise.

Glad you asked Dawn, I'm ready to do a little composting around here, too (although, apparently not the way I originally thought).

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 26 2006 at 10:34pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

We compost, but kid involvement so far has mostly consisted of carrying vegetable scraps out to the pile every day, and noting that something out there really likes watermelon and apples. (The pile is next to the garden, which is a nice little walk through the woods.)

--Angela

Mom to 3+2

Three Plus Two
Wild Things
Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 27 2006 at 5:42am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

I'm glad to hear all these composting ideas! Ds started his very own blog last night (just a private journal) and his first entry was called "Back to Composting." You just never know what's going to grip a child's attention and fuel his desire to learn.

This is a different angle on composting, but an interesting one - I found this Justpeace List: 116 Just Actions. It's a site devoted to the Church's teachings on social justice and composting is "just action" number 90!   

So as we explore the science of composting, I think it is also a good idea to talk about how soil is a natural resource and by composting we are giving back to the earth. Also, how being thoughtful stewards helps our fellow man.

Of course my boys just want to get their hands on some worms!   

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 27 2006 at 5:45am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Cici wrote:
Stef,

Are you telling me you actually hear the worms slurpping? Really Truly?

Yes, Cici, really and truly. Well, I should say they're "slurping sounds" to me. But they could be just the worms moving around each other in the bin. The sounds just became more pronounced as they got bigger.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 27 2006 at 9:07am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

My son gave me permission to post his composting post from his blog here:

Back to Composting

"We are getting back to our composting now that we are getting closer to the winter season. We always start our composting right around late summer. Then we continue to do so until springtime, when we start spreading it around. We usually do that until late summer, and then deja vu. We have tons of worms in our yard, so the compost is made very quickly. Once, we put in a rotting jack-o-lantern, and a pumpkin patch sprouted up in our backyard! L.O.L."

This was his first post ever in his blog! (I didn't even know he knew what LOL meant! )

I also wanted to let you all know, if you get Heart and Mind, the Spring issue has a wonderful Composting Science Unit Study written by Maureen Whitman!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version