Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Noah's Ark Variations Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
marcie
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 27 2006 at 4:38pm | IP Logged Quote marcie

I recently found a book in my "stash" called Noah's Ark, words from the book of genesis. This is illustrated by Jane Ray? Have any of you heard of her or seen the book? Is it acceptable for Catholic Mosaic?
Thanks.

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 27 2006 at 5:00pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Marcie,
I hope you don't mind...
...I took liberties at moving your post to a new thread.

I haven't seen the Noah's Ark illustrated by Jane Ray but I have seen the newest one one by Jan Brett.

That got me thinking about all the variations I have seen out there. Tons!

Let's share which illustrated versions we've seen and read and share which one we think stays true to Biblical form (and why). It's important to read the text and not get carried away by the illustrations.

Accurate text is as important as beautiful illustrations.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 27 2006 at 6:09pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

One of my favorites has no text - Peter Spier's Noah's Ark. I know that's totally off the point of what you were asking, Cay. I'll have to think about the various text versions we've read.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 27 2006 at 8:20pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Hmmm...I guess I take the approach on Noah's Ark versions differently. The biblical version they will hear at Mass, we read in our Bible Stories (Tomie De Paola's is the International Version, I have other versions, too). I find I give the original version, whether it be actual or true to text and then use the other illustrated versions as a comparison. Questions, comments: which are fictionalized? Which is accurate? Can you tell me how many times did Noah send a bird from the ark? Were they all doves? What were the names of his sons? Etc. For me, the illustrated ones don't need to have accurate text, just reverent.

I don't have Jan Brett's version. MaryM had reviewed Tomie dePaola's version and I'm on the lookout for that one. But the ones we use (and coming from a younger child's angle):

Peter Spier (love it!)

Pauline Baynes "Noah and the Ark" (Revised Standard Version text)

Marie-Celeste Fadden "Noah's Ark" (old OOP from St. Meinrad) This story is great because it concludes with the question "If we had a flood today, where could we find an Ark to save us?" --The Church, founded on a rock by Jesus Christ. And the Ark settles in Heaven when the flood is over.

Have to say I'm very partial to "Mr. and Mrs. Noah" by Lois Lenski. Shows a spirit of cooperation by the sons of Noah. Everyone does work!

Since we're experiencing so much flooding here, I'm thinking checking out sorts of versions would be fun.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 27 2006 at 8:32pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

How funny! I was just mentioning on my blog yesterday that all this rain was a great excuse to study Noah's Ark. We have the Jan Brett version and it is beautiful, of course. Lots of activities at her website, too, including a Noah's ark mural and an "Open the Doors Ark".

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 27 2006 at 9:42pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

JennGM wrote:
Can you tell me how many times did Noah send a bird from the ark? Were they all doves? For me, the illustrated ones don't need to have accurate text, just reverent.

Cay Gibson wrote:
Accurate text is as important as beautiful illustrations.

Guess I didn't state this "accurately."
I didn't mean the text has to be Biblical but I think we need to watch the humor in some books. Sometimes humor works well but it can also become stupid twaddle. Know what I mean?

Good text is good text.

I'm trying to think of an example but we haven't done Noah Ark's so I can't compare. I'm thinking about classical tales that are written up with so much humor that the tale becomes humorless. I don't think Biblical tales should be brought down to this level. I see a rabbit trail popping up, so let's keep sharing.

We have only two copies around our house on Noah's Ark and I can't remember publisher, author, or illustrator. I'll have to locate them both.

JennGM wrote:
Have to say I'm very partial to "Mr. and Mrs. Noah" by Lois Lenski. Shows a spirit of cooperation by the sons of Noah. Everyone does work!

I haven't heard of this one, Jenn. Thanks for mentioning.

JennGM wrote:
Since we're experiencing so much flooding here, I'm thinking checking out sorts of versions would be fun.

I think the girls and I will join you, Jenn. No rain, but our NW neighbors are definitely in our prayers.

mom to 5
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 27 2006 at 9:45pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

JennGM wrote:
Can you tell me how many times did Noah send a bird from the ark? Were they all doves? For me, the illustrated ones don't need to have accurate text, just reverent.

Oh, this is what I meant about accuracy. In doing the Mosaic I noticed a great deal of variance in tales. A couple of them I decided to compare/contrast (the two Mary books and the two St. Christopher books).

I can only imagine how many versions of Noah and the Ark are out there. Does it confuse our children when one book only mentions one bird? What should we look for in these Biblical tales? Does one bird or two really matter?

mom to 5

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 27 2006 at 10:06pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

Rock Steady by Sting

"He said he'd heard God's message
On the radio."

Disclaimer: I have not read the book but my library has it so I plan to pick it up and decide whether it is light-hearted humor innocently done to attract modern day children or secular blasphemy. (not that radios are blasphemousness, but some of these books can become irreverent...depending on the author.)

mom to 5

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 27 2006 at 10:16pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

A Couple our library has that I'm going to check out:

A Stormy Ride on Noah's Ark by Patricia Hooper

Noah's Ark by Jerry Pinkney

And, low and behold, my Annie (age 4) and I checked this one out last week at the library. I'd already forgotten we had it in our library basket.

Annie's Ark by Lesley Harker

Guess why we checked that one out.    The pictures in it our wonderful. In the story Annie is Grandaddy Noah's granddaughter. She helps a lot in the ark.

It begins with:
"It's raining again, and Grandadddy Noah says, 'Annie, little Annie, come and feed the llamas. They're making such a clatter with their hooves again.' "

The picture at the end is a gorgeous rainbow but it ends with: "And when I saw the rainbow, shining in the distance, I knew it was a present...just for me!"

A delightful, lovely colored picture book to be shared with children...especially a little girl named Annie. I just read it and fingered through it. It shows a hard-working little girl, one whose grandparents couldn't have survived the trip without her. Noble and all, but with one small problem.

God is never mentioned. Why is it flooding? The book assumes your child knows this, and chances are ours do.

My point? This is a nice picture book to read to your child. I wouldn't classify it as a Mosaic book though.

mom to 5

Kathryn UK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 28 2006 at 1:37am | IP Logged Quote Kathryn UK

marcie wrote:
I recently found a book in my "stash" called Noah's Ark, words from the book of genesis. This is illustrated by Jane Ray? Have any of you heard of her or seen the book? Is it acceptable for Catholic Mosaic?
Thanks.

I'm not certain, but I have a feeling Jane Ray is the daughter of my one-time organ teacher. I don't have her Noah's Ark book but I do have a couple of others - the Creation story and the Nativity - and love them. Beautiful illustrations! I don't have Catholic Mosaic yet, but I'm pretty sure her books would fit

Back to Top View Kathryn UK's Profile Search for other posts by Kathryn UK

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 28 2006 at 2:01am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

We read the de Paola one - Noah and the Ark last fall. Like Jenn said, I briefly reviewed it in another thread.
"It's classic dePaola and the story is well told with a somewhat repeating line of 'So Noah did what God said.' Loved dePaola's "flood" pages - how he depicted the rolling sea (there is a two page spread with nothing but water/waves - not even the ark is pictured). It really is a strong image. I also liked how he did the rainbow at the end."

It was faithful to biblical story.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 28 2006 at 7:33am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Cay Gibson wrote:

JennGM wrote:

Oh, this is what I meant about accuracy. In doing the Mosaic I noticed a great deal of variance in tales. A couple of them I decided to compare/contrast (the two Mary books and the two St. Christopher books).

I can only imagine how many versions of Noah and the Ark are out there. Does it confuse our children when one book only mentions one bird? What should we look for in these Biblical tales? Does one bird or two really matter?

I see what you mean. I'm a little dense lately! You mean faithful to the Biblical story. Oh, yes, that's important to me. So the ones I listed are.

About the birds: it's not confusing, but reading other versions provides an opportunity for critical reading. If the children know and love the real Bible story, they can differentiate when the story takes some twists or is abbreviated. The older the children the more jumping off with discussions.

We also have the board book by Lucy Cousins that was our first introduction to the story. Simplified, but faithful.

To expand this, maybe ask what elements need to be present in the story to be faithful to the Biblical version? Just stripped down:

The world is sinful
Noah is a good man, faithful to God.
God calls him and his family to build the ark.
Fill the ark with animals.
The rain and floods come.
They land and give thanks to God.
And God gives a rainbow as a sign of his covenant.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 28 2006 at 8:44am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Just to continue where I left off... Seems many times elements are added to flesh out persons, actions, or the animals to give more dimensions to the story.

How about this book: Prayers from the Ark or this version? It's not necessarily ABOUT Noah, but gives the animals' "perspectives". I have a very old version with line drawings.

I saw that Gennady Spirin has a version...so I'd like to check that one out, too.

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 28 2006 at 9:22am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Oh, I see what you mean. I just re-read the Jan Brett version and it doesn't even mention God or why there was a flood or the meaning of the rainbow. It is just a vehicle for Brett to draw many lovely animals. Not a mosaic book at all (unless one wanted to use it just as a supplement for the pictures).
I also re-read the DePaola version within his "Book of Bible Stories". It is much more faithful to the biblical story and seems to be the abbreviated version of the text in his book.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

marcie
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 28 2006 at 10:03am | IP Logged Quote marcie

The book I have has beautiful illustrations, the text is from KJV of the bible. this is one passage: "Make thee an ark of gopher wood. Rooms shalt thou make in the ark, and shalt pitch it within and without with pitch. The length of the ark shall be three hundred cubits, the breadth of it fifty cubits, and the height of it thirty cubits." Well.....I had to chuckle because it reminded me of an old story told by either Justin Wilson or Bill Cosby about Noah and the ark. I hadn't thought about that story in years. I am not sure that this particular story will hold ds's interest.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 28 2006 at 10:05am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

marcie wrote:
Well.....I had to chuckle because it reminded me of an old story told by either Justin Wilson or Bill Cosby about Noah and the ark. I hadn't thought about that story in years. I am not sure that this particular story will hold ds's interest.

It's Bill Cosby..."Uh, what's a cubit?" I've been thinking of that story, too.

marcie
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 28 2006 at 2:18pm | IP Logged Quote marcie

Thanks for setting me straight! That was hilarious.....

Kristi
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: June 29 2006 at 12:21pm | IP Logged Quote Kristi

We have the Peter Spier version which my boys love. Another favorite is Two by Two by Barbara Reid. I am always amazed by her clay-like illustrations. The text can get a little corny and I always have to sing the book as it is a song, but it stays pretty true to the Biblical meaning eg. "people turned to evil ways", "Noah you're both good and kind", "God gave the rainbow as a sign"... Unfortunately, I think it is OOP. We bought our copy used.

saintanneshs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 18 2006 at 4:20pm | IP Logged Quote saintanneshs

JennGM wrote:
I saw that Gennady Spirin has a version...so I'd like to check that one out, too.

We bought this one on sale at Amazon a few months ago (five dollar hardback, I think), complete with a beautiful poster taped into the back cover, ready for removal and relocation!

The text is from the King James Bible, word for word (no elaboration on the story at all). The art is beautiful and my boys were mesmerized by it, but haven't come back to it the way they have with other Gennady Spirin books we have. I think the text was a bit too over-their-heads but it did lead to some good questions and discussion.

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 31 2006 at 10:52am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

I finally got around to checking out a bunch of Ark books from the library. That's what Annie and I are doing for "school" this week.

Any printout/cutouts on Noah's Ark would be appreciated.

mom to 5

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version