Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: Where in Time We Are Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 22 2005 at 4:12pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

Beth and all,
    You are not bombarding me at all I'm noting like crazy each and every one of these suggestions. Another "duh" moment was reading Beth's mention of Monticello, and I'd never even heard of Fort Raleigh (tho the Lost Colony is a popular puzzlement among my children). So thanks, all.
    So as not to inundate our nice loop with my vacation planning (!), anyone with suggestions for American Colonial/French & Indian Wars/Am. Revolutionary era Great Places to Visit is encouraged (even, begged ) to email me directly at kkuerstein@aol.com
    Thanks again for all the great ideas, Kelly in FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: April 22 2005 at 5:28pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Okay, here are a few more: You could go to the Frontier Museum in Staunton VA which happens to be close enough to MY favorite expert on frontier life (LIssa Peterson) and maybe she'd even meet you there. Maybe I'd meet the two of you there Venturing further north, perhaps through Shenandoah, you could head my way. We could toodle around Leesburg (once, briefly, the Capitol of the nation). We could also wander the Manassas battlefield and then venture towards Mt. Vernon. Across the river are all the wonderful DC suggestions mentioned above.

Kelly, do you live in Jacksonville or thereabouts? My mom lives there now and I'm wondering what to do on the way down there

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 24 2005 at 8:25am | IP Logged Quote Kelly

Elizabeth et. al.,
     Once again, great suggestions. If I end up incorporating the NACHE convention into our schedule, we may have a fair bit of time to scour Virginia's highways and byways (and isn't the convention in Manassas?). Been to Staunton once, but just a "fly-by". It would be really fun to connect with some of you as we go along. Every time we've done cross-country trips, we've had the privilege of meeting some of my loop acquaintences enroute for dinner or play-time. Always fun. When we lived in LA for four months, we actually got to know some of our "loopy" homeschool friends quite well and the children (and Mom) still keep in touch.   
     Re: your Florida jaunt, Elizabeth, we divide our time between North Florida and South Florida. I always tell the snowbirds in Sarasota that when we say we are from "up North", we're the only ones that mean North FLORIDA! Anyway, Tallahassee, where our "farmette" is located, is 3 hours West of Jax on I-10. Sarasota, where dh has his office, is 3 1/2 hours South of Jacksonville, so we're not much help to you on your Southward expedition (unless you have the energy and inclination to saddle up and come on over, West or South, in which case you would be most welcome. In Tallahassee, we could even offer you accomodations and the lure of a GREAT tour site, the Mission San Luis, founded by Spanish Franciscans in the late 1500s, and archaeologically renovated since then, complete with its Church and Rectory, as well as adjacent Indian roundhouse. Very low key, but very interesting. Tallahassee was the location of seven of the 100 Franciscan missions that dotted the map between St. Augustine and Pensacola during Spain's early ownership of our fair state! Soooo, if you're looking for a sidetrip from Jacksonville, send up a smoke signal!
     Thanks again, everyone, for all the good ideas. I'm sure I'll have more questions of historical/turistic note coming your way. Kelly in FL

Liz D
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 27 2005 at 10:10pm | IP Logged Quote Liz D

Kelly,

Finally, getting some time on the computer to answer your questions. The Franciscan monestery I mentioned is the one in DC. Our newspaper had an article about a brand new museum in Winchester, VA called Museum of the Shenandoah Valley. It said the museum's focus is on the people making teir home in the valley from colonial Times to the Civil War to the Great Depression. Sounded good to me. I think we'll hit it on our way back to Norfolk from Ohio after visiting family. It might tie in nicely with a picture book we read that was recommended on this board. I think it was called When the Whippoorwill Cries. The website for the museum is www.shenandoahmuseum.org.
Got to write about Williamsburg later. My college age daughter, returning from work needs the computer.
Liz

Liz D
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 28 2005 at 9:40pm | IP Logged Quote Liz D

Kelly,
The trick with Williamsburg is getting there early. The visitor center opens earlier than the exhibit area so go get your tickets and see the movie in the visitor center and then be ready to go to the exhibit area when it opens. Beat the crowds to the Governor's Palace and the Capitol(must sees). We normally pack sandwiches and snacks for lunch to save money. We've eaten dinner at Chownings Tavern several times- the food's pretty good, you get serenaded by various instruments, and they have you play colonial era games at the table. And if you go early (5pm) we've had good luck getting in even when the other taverns have been booked with reservations since early morning. The kids get a kick out of the fruit pasties you can buy at some of the shops or there's a bakery that sells colonial era baked goods that pick your energy up as the day goes on.
All the exhibits are great. There's a paper they put out every week that tells the daily activities- try to see a costumed person in character or any of the other special tours or happenings for the day. The Bits and Briddle tour is one that comes to mind that was well liked.
We've done several of their evening activities(like Williamsburg ghost stories) and they been just ok. I think I'd rather get to bed early and rest up for the next day. Hope this helps some.
Have a wonderful trip.
Liz

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 08 2005 at 8:12pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

OK. Now that you all have been so helpful suggesting Touristic Places of Interest for studying the American Revolution...now, I'm asking for people's Best Resources for studying the French & Indian War/American Revolution. This is a pretty broad topic, I know, so only asking for your All Time Favorites!

Thanks! Kelly in FL

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 12 2005 at 11:28pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Williamsburg Hint of the Week! RENT THE COSTUMES. It's expensive. $18. No hat included (I'd bring my own if I knew about it ahead of time). Here's why: They don't tell you until after you have paid that your costume-renting child gets to do special activities in the historic area that No One Else Gets to Do. Activities are different for boys and girls. Two weeks ago, my daughter did this and was able to work in the gardening area, pick up a letter at the post office and then take a work request to the printer's office, and take a deportment lesson at the Geddy House. Also, the costumed interpreters go out of their way to talk with costumed children. It was great...beyond great...she loved it AND was so cute!!! (She's 7.) As far as I could see, the literature talked about costume rentals but not about the associated activities. It was well worth the money!

Chowning's Tavern is now a fast-food-style walk up and place your order kind of place. Sigh.

The Theater for the Young...and Young at Heart show was great; tons of audience participation. Ds (13) really liked it; I think he thought his day in W'burg would be really cheesy, but he was the first one to ask when we could go back. Maybe it was the musket demo; maybe the gunsmith's shop...whatever!

Anyone going to Staunton or Harrisonburg needs to tell me so I can meet you!!! I live an hour from Harrisonburg in West Virginia.

This weekend the New Market Battlefield is having its annual re-enactment...the battle of New Market is famous because VMI cadets marched 60+ miles from Lexington, VA, to fight in this battle, even though they were basically kids. (Local history plug!)

PS - send me a PM for my recommendations on Norfolk/Virginia Beach travel...lived there for 7 years...and don't forget about Yorktown!!! Under-rated historic area!!!

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 13 2005 at 12:28am | IP Logged Quote Kelly

Liz and Nancy,
   Thanks so much for the hints on "doing" Wmsburg. In all the many times I've been there (years ago), I've never seen the Governor's Palace because of the crowds...so now I know what to do. Also, great hint re: costumes for the kids. That sounds like a really fun plan!
   I'll email you direct about Norfolk/Va Beach and Yorktown. We really like those "under-rated" areas, too.

Kelly in FL

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 14 2005 at 2:44pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

alicegunther wrote:
The Beowulf adaptations I plan to check out (or purchase if need be) are:

Beowulf: A New Telling by Robert Nye;
The Hero Beowulf by Eric A. Kimmel; and
Beowulf by Welwyn Wilton Katz

As soon as I have had a chance to take a look at these, I will let you know if they are a good choice.

Alice, just ressurecting this thread a bit to find out if you were ever successful in finding these other books?? Were they helpful? Did you read them aloud? Also since I have never read Beowulf myself I'm just wondering if the CD's are at all violent or too graphic for my crowd? Would appreciate any input as I thought we would tie this in with our Scandinavian unit we're venturing into for the remainder of the year.

Blessings and Hugs, +JMJ+

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 4
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version