Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: Where in Time We Are Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Karen E.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 03 2005 at 10:19pm | IP Logged Quote Karen E.

Where in time are we?

We're doing some ancient history this year. We started the school year with the "History Links" general unit study. The kids loved learning about archaeology in general, and about how to study history. We did a quick version of the History Links "Creation" unit, because it covered many things we've already covered and I wanted to move on to Mesopotamia.

We're now on Ancient Egypt. I have lots of books full of facts and we have a lot of fun hands-on things planned for next week, but does anyone have suggestions for literature? Is "Mara, Daughter of the Nile" appropriate for ages 11 and 8? (I'm thinking it's roughly 5th grade level?)

Visit my blog, with its shockingly clever title, "Karen Edmisten."
Back to Top View Karen E.'s Profile Search for other posts by Karen E. Visit Karen E.'s Homepage

Karen E.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 03 2005 at 10:23pm | IP Logged Quote Karen E.

One more note on where we are in history:

We do tend to jump around a lot.

In January, when we were between unit studies, we started rereading the Little House books together. We first did them as read-alouds our first year of homeschooling, when Emily was 7 and Lizzy was only 4. I hadn't thought about how very young Lizzy was, and that she wouldn't remember a lot of the details from the books. She's loving them this time around, so while we're immersed in hieroglyphics, we're also romping through the prairie and making our own butter again.

And, of course, as I mentioned on the Rabbit Trails thread, making film history with the Harriet Tubman project ....

Back to Top View Karen E.'s Profile Search for other posts by Karen E. Visit Karen E.'s Homepage

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 04 2005 at 7:44am | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Karen,

Your eight-year-old might have trouble understanding the parts of "Mara" dealing with her status as a slave (there is a scene in which she is supposed to be beaten to death, but is rescued), her romantic feelings for Sheftu (they kiss a couple of times, that's it), and the complex political scene in Egypt. This is a great book, but might be a little old for her. Another wonderful choice is "The Golden Goblet". Ranofer, the protagonist, is a bit younger (apprentice age) and is unhappy because he is apprenticed to his vicious half-brother, Gebu. Gebu is a stonecutter and Ranofer was studying to be a goldsmith until their father died. Ranofer has two friends, a fellow apprentice and an old papyrus-gatherer, who help him when he discovers that Gebu is robbing tombs by night. It's good. The only violence I can recall is a scene in which Ranofer and his friends see an executed criminal from afar and discuss his crime (tomb robbing). The reading level is a bit easier, too.

Happy hieroglyphs!

Karen E.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 04 2005 at 11:52pm | IP Logged Quote Karen E.

Nancy,

Thanks so much for the review and recommendation. Very helpful!

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 11 2005 at 6:18am | IP Logged Quote Kelly

MaryM wrote:
Kelly wrote:
I was thinking about you today when I noticed a book for sale called "The Basque History" by Kuralsky, I think??? Have you seen it? It got a great review in "A Common Reader".

Yes, I have read it. It's a very interesting book on the Basque culture and history. Some claim that the author is too biased toward the Basques, but then again that is probably part of why it appealed to me personally.

Mark Kurlansky has written another book called Cod: A Biography of the Fish That Changed the World. It seems like such an obscure topic to write a whole book on but it was fascinating and I learned how important this fish was in human history. Tha Basques play a large part in this book as well because of their fishing prowess. They were the first to salt cod and sell it - huge development in drying cod so it could be kept longer and rehydrated later. He also has another book called Salt: A World History which I have not read but sounds interesting as well. I think we take for granted how important this common household spice has been to the world.

There is a children's book by Kurlanksy based on his cod book which I proudly read to my children to indoctrinate them with Basque pride! The Cod's Tale

The history of commodities is a really interesting subject. It's yet another way to look at history (as opposed to, say, the "Great Man" approach) and can provide a plethora of intriguing rabbit trails. When I was in graduate school studying archaeology (of all obscure things), I worked on an historic site in Alexandria, Virginia. Alexandria was a major port for the Eastern Seaboard in the Revolutionary War era. The site we were excavating was a sugar house. We found fossilized foraminifera in the dirt, stuff that didn't "belong" to the area. We sent it to Woods Hole to be analyzed. They determined that its provenance was the Central Caribbean area. We later found that the boats bringing sugar used bags of sand for their ballast, some of which obviously made its way into or onto the bags of sugar that came to be processed. Well...that sent us on a search for Sugar History that was fascinating. One of the things I got to do was go to the archives in Spain to see if I could find reference to sugar trade with Alexandria. Unfortunately, most of the documentation for the New World is located in the archives in Seville, and I was in Madrid, but it was so interesting reading those old, old documents, brought out to me in sheaves tied with string. It was quite a hunt! Who says history is dry and uninteresting????

There is a very well written book on the subject of sugar called "Sweeetness and Power" by Sidney Mintz. It tracks the rise and fall of the sugar industry around the world and the way it affected culture, life at home, the slave trade, trade in general,the rise and fall of kingdoms, revolution. I have not read "Cod", but my Ultra Business Man dh read it and loved it--I imagine it treats cod like Mintz treated sugar! Studying commodities might be a fun way for some of us to interest those children of ours with latent commercial leanings :-) There are many books out there on other commodities, ranging from the book you mentioned, also by Kurlansky, titled "Salt", to books on the beaver trade (there is also a Jackdaw Packet available on that subject), pepper, silk, opium (!), quinine (a great read on this topic, "The Miraculous Fever Tree" which also addresses the great impact the Jesuits had on the development of quinine), on and on, ad infinitum.

Fiddlesticks! The only problem I have with history is that there is SO much interesting to learn that it's easy to get overwhelmed. The Great History Monster Takes Over Florida Homeschool!

Kelly in FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 11 2005 at 6:33am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Thanks to whomever recommended the Kurlansky book on the Basque history -- I'm loving it (I'm 25% Basque and went to grammar school with tons of Basques) and it's one of the most readable histories I've read in a long time.

I'm thinking of using it for my daughter in high school as agood hisotry living book that presents things in a different perspective -- she's the one that I'll also use "How the Irish Saved Civilization". These should make for an interesting survey of Western Civ

Thanks again!
Blessings

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 20 2005 at 6:20am | IP Logged Quote Kelly

We are planning to attend a family reunion in Kentucky this summer. Since we will be studying the early American era and Revolutionary War, I thought we'd try and make that the "theme" of the trip and visit sites along the way. Our trip will begin in North Florida.

Any suggestions? I love brainstorming with this crowd!

Kelly in FL

Jeanne
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: March 31 2005 at 8:49pm | IP Logged Quote Jeanne

Kelly,

We live in Northern Ky. There are some great places to visit-historical and otherwise-here. It is a beautiful state.

Just a couple of ideas are Ft. Boonesborough(spelling??) and Harrodsburg. They are both forts or recreations from about the years1774-1776. They have a lot of demonstrations on life from the time period, with interperters dressed in costume. My family really enjoys visiting.

Once a year Fort Boonesborough (named for Daniel Boone)recreates a siege--pretty amazing!
http://www.ky.gov/agencies/parks/i75frames/ftboones-body.htm

Hope this helps.

Enjoy Kentucky!

P hi li ppians   4:13
Back to Top View Jeanne's Profile Search for other posts by Jeanne

almamater
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 01 2005 at 9:02am | IP Logged Quote almamater

We are in the 1st century, reading about the time following Christ's Ascension. We are kind of stuck in the Marigold Hunt ("The First Christians") book--I say, stuck, because I don't think ds is really loving it a whole lot. What other resources have you all used for this time period?

TIA!

Soulful Learning
Back to Top View almamater's Profile Search for other posts by almamater

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: April 09 2005 at 8:40am | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

What about St. Paul the Apostle by Windeatt or some other book about St. Paul? (We have The Last Apostle by Eleanor and really like it -- easier reading than Windeatt.) Once Upon A Time Saints has a couple of stories about early Christians, too.

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 11 2005 at 10:47am | IP Logged Quote Kelly

Jeanne,
     Thank you for the info on Kentucky. Since we are attending our family reunion, which is the Boone Family Reunion (as in Daniel, my GGGG Grandfather's brother), both of these sites would be highly appropriate! Thanks for the lead.

Kelly in her coonskin hat, in FL

Jeanne
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: April 11 2005 at 3:56pm | IP Logged Quote Jeanne

Kelly,

How cool!! Daniel Boone is one our favorite historical figures to read & learn about. Do you have anything from his lifetime that was passed down in your family?

P hi li ppians   4:13
Back to Top View Jeanne's Profile Search for other posts by Jeanne

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 11 2005 at 8:52pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

Hey Jeanne,
     My brother, also named Daniel Boone, actually inheirited one of Daniel Boone's rifles. Not the famous "Ticklicker", but a different one, pretty cool. We've also had a Daniel Boone in every generation since the first guy, most recently my brother, my nephew and my ds, Daniel Morgan Boone (who was one of D. Boone's sons).

We're looking forward to following Daniel Boone's trail in Kentucky! Thanks again for the info, I already emailed them for reenactment schedules.

Kelly in FL

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 15 2005 at 11:47pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

OK, we're widening our net as we plan this American Colonial/French&Indian Wars/Revolutionary War, Era trip this summer. What originally began as a trip to Kentucky from Florida now has the potential to go further afield, as in on to Washington, possibly up to Philadelphia area, Maryland, Virginia, South Carolina, Georgia. LOTS of possibilities! The problem is there are so many neat places. So, I'm sending up an SOS for your votes for BEST places to visit with children, preferably pertinent to the above topics. Don't be hesitant to mention the really obvious or really obscure. As a blank slate, I welcome all input! Also, any great shrines or monasteries you've visited and recommend---I like to remind our children that Catholics have been involved with our nation's history from the get-go (something you might not guess from the standard history books!). Also, we've stayed in monasteries in the past and are always on the lookout for child-friendly monastic lodging enroute.

Thanks, Kelly in FL

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: April 16 2005 at 2:51am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Kelly,
You are such a history traveller! You mentioned earlier that you like to brainstorm history trips and connections with this group - I do too, but didn't jump into this thread as I don't feel I know this area of the country that well. It's been a long time since I've visited the east coast or south so don't feel I have much to share. I did see this schedule of 2005 Revolutionary War re-enactments in South Carolina that might be good if the dates coincide with your trip.

Kelly wrote:
I like to remind our children that Catholics have been involved with our nation's history from the get-go (something you might not guess from the standard history books!).

Since you expanded your trip up possibly to Maryland a good Catholic connection is to visit the Charles Carroll House - As the only Catholic signer of the Declaration of Independence he is a great connection to our faith and US history. The house sounds like a neat living history museum. Cobblestone magazine had an issue devoted to Charles Carroll in Sept. 2002. It has lots of good information. As long as we are talking about Carrolls - there is also John Carroll - first bishop of the first Catholic diocese in the US and also the founder of Georgetown University. So you could visit Georgetown University in DC and the Basilica of the Assumption in Baltimore which is the first Catholic cathedral in America. It was started in 1806 by Bishop Carroll. But I see it is currently closed for restoration until 2006.

I wish I had ideas for monastery visits - using that as lodging sounds like such a great idea.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 16 2005 at 8:33pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

Mary,
    Thanks for the great links. I printed everything out. I had pondered Annapolis but COMPLETELY forgot about Charles Carroll's presence there, and the battle reenactment schedule promises some real excitement.

Keep those ideas coming

Kelly in FL

Beth in MD
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: April 20 2005 at 12:28am | IP Logged Quote Beth in MD

Hi Kelly,

I live in Maryland (near Baltimore), and would be happy to recommend a few places for you to visit nearby:

In Washington DC (you will need at least one day): of course any of the Smithsonian museums; kids especially enjoy the Museum of Natural History and the Air and Space Museum, and the National Zoo too. Of course there is the National Gallery of Art too (Don't miss the gift shop for those fabulous $2 prints!)

While in DC you MUST go to the John Paul II Cultural Center -- it is fabulous. There is also the nearby Franciscan monastery, where you could attend Mass, or of course at the National Shrine Basilica of the Immaculate Conception -- do take a tour there, if you can. The grotto is amazing.

The Basilica in Baltimore is also very historical, however they are in the process of re-constructing the dome (may be a reason to visit, actually).

And if you have time to make the trip please visit the National Shrine Grotto of Lourdes at Mt. St. Mary's Seminary, in Emmitsburg, Maryland. There is a lovely glass chapel in the woods and a stations-of-the-cross walk on the way to the grotto. While there, you can also visit the Elizabeth Ann Seton Shrine. This would also be a great place to do some camping and hiking.

Hope that helps!
Beth in MD

Liz D
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 20 2005 at 8:15pm | IP Logged Quote Liz D

Hi, Kelly,

I vote for Williamsburg. The tickets are not cheap. We live in Norfolk and have bought yearlong passes for several years and we never tire of going up there. We probably get up there about 6 or so times a year and we always see something new and different that we've never experienced before. Jamestown and Yorktown are nearby. Virginia is full of history for those time periods. My husband and I recently visited the Franciscan Monastery and it was great-all sorts of replicas of the Holy Land shrines. Hope this helps. If you decide to go to Williamsburg let me know I probably could give you some more in detail tips of what to see, etc.
Liz

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 20 2005 at 11:31pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

Beth and Liz,
     Thanks for the ideas! Oddly enough, even though I lived in Washington, DC for years, I had completely forgotten about the John Paul II Center and the Franciscan Monastery. Great recs. Williamsburg is another "must-see" that I did with my older children, but they don't remember much, and the little ones weren't even born, so it is definitely on The List. Any specifics? Is the Franciscan Monastery you mentioned, Liz, in Williamsburg or is that the one in Washington DC? I love all these ideas.
     Has anyone on the loop visited Camden, SC? It keeps coming up in Revolutionary Era novels. We love those off-the-beaten-path kindof places (not that Camden IS off-the-beaten-path...I just don't know anything about it!) Also, anyone know of any particular sites associated with Francis Marion, "the Swamp Fox"? He has captured the imagination of my older children.
      Thanks again, you all,for taking the time to recommend with all these great insights. My Atlas is already getting a thorough work-out!

Kelly in her tricorn hat, in FL

Beth in MD
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: April 21 2005 at 11:16pm | IP Logged Quote Beth in MD

Kelly,

Not to bombard you with more, but in VA there are also all of the beautiful mansions -- VA is the cradle of the presidency. Mount Vernon and Monticello just to name two.

In NC, if you venture out to the Outer Banks (great beaches!) you can also visit the Wright Memorial monument and Fort Raleigh, aka "The Lost Colony."

God bless,
Beth in MD

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version