Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: Where in Time We Are Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Lissa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 08 2005 at 12:18pm | IP Logged Quote Lissa

TracyQ wrote:
Lissa,
    Could you tell me more about the book,
*Landmark History of the American People* please?
Is it out of print, and where would you find it?

Hi Tracy!

The author is Daniel Boorstin. I got mine from
Sonlight--you can try this
link
or just go to the main Sonlight paige and type
"Landmark History" into the search box.

At first both Kate and I thought it was dry, but we have
come to love it--especially what we've read of the
second half (there are two volumes in the one book),
chapters about cowboys and cattle towns and the
first mail-order catalogs. The section is called "The
Go-Getters" and it is fascinating. Rather than tell the
story of American history in strictly chronological
events, Boorstin writes of trends and movements
that swept the nation and affected great change in
the culture and in world events.

Lissa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 08 2005 at 12:30pm | IP Logged Quote Lissa

guitarnan wrote:
We're in 1800, USA, here.
Lewis and Clark arrive on Wed. and we're all really
looking forward to meeting them in books, DVD,
maps, etc. This year we're doing U. S. history to
1900 (next year will be a real challenge, with no
"text", but that's another topic). DS (13) has a
textbook, and dd (7) is along for the ride. We've been
reading all kinds of fiction and nonfiction to
accompany our text and activities ("Colonial Days"
has TONS of stuff!). Felicity from the American Girls
series is now a friend to us all. DS gave up
pretending he wasn't interested...now he drops
everything during dd's read-aloud time...he he he,
just what I intended all along.

LOL! I love that. Great story.

My 9yo and I read Genevieve Foster's ABRAHAM
LINCOLN'S WORLD when we hit 1800--don't know if
you've seen it, but it's a fun read and perfect for your
time period. Abe was born in 1809, which somehow
surprised me--I mean, if I'd given it any thought, I'd
have known he had to be born sometime in the early
1800s, but he is so firmly fixed in my mind in
connection to the Civil War that I never thought about
him being born not long after Lewis & Clark's
journey, etc.

We discovered a whole slew of famous figures born
that same year, in 1809:

•Lincoln

•Tennyson

•Charles Darwin

•Edgar Allen Poe

•Mendelsohn (I think that's right)

•Charlotte Tucker Quiner, one of the girls I write
about
(Laura Ingalls Wilder's grandmother)

*and at least one other I'm forgetting--I'll have to ask
Kate.

Re your daughter's aversion to Little House--I
wouldn't worry. Give it a year or two and she'll fall in
love with them on her own. Or maybe try Farmer Boy,
or skip to Banks of Plum Creek (which was always
my favorite)--it's got a livelier pace than LHOP
anyway, and it might hook her on the whole series.

Oh, and nice to meet you, Nancy!

Lissa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 21 2005 at 2:16pm | IP Logged Quote Lissa

**Note to newcomers**
At this point in this thread, a few specific topics branched off into further discussion: Sonlight, Middle Ages, and the Henty books. I've moved those posts into their own specific threads now. The more general discussion continues below.

happyheartsmom wrote:
We're just finishing up
a wonderful month studying Japan using FIAR and
tons of amzaing RA's and R's that I put together and
my kids are really eating it up, the world perspective
and all.

One more thing--you should write up what you've
done for Japan and post it in the Rabbit Trails forum!

(Is there an Emoticon for begging?)

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 21 2005 at 2:22pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Thanks ladies for the replies, I'll meet you at the new topic thread. I'd be happy to post the Japan study in rabbit-trails, it's really just alot of great books, narration and the other stuff pulled in. Thanks again!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 22 2005 at 10:03am | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

happyheartsmom wrote:

Alice: I know you're working slowly through Ancient, do you feel it's better to tackle that before US History??? We're just finishing up a wonderful month studying Japan using FIAR and tons of amzaing RA's and R's that I put together and my kids are really eating it up, the world perspective and all. Oh dear, Maybe we should just eat bon bons all day and read whatever we like Just kidding.

Not necessarily. American History may actually be more accessable for children, especially young ones, and there is no reason not to begin there before going back across the centuries. That's where a timeline comes in handy! As a matter of fact, I treat US History as a separate subject (casually, of course) and make sure the girls take out at least one or two books on American history every week when we visit the library. We began doing this when it occurred to me that my children knew more about Ancient Rome than the founding fathers!

We are beginning the Middle Ages now, and I am extremely excited about our booklist. We'll be listening to Seamus Heaney's Beowulf on tape along with an unabridged recording of The Song of Roland. Then there's Fingal's Quest, the Arabian Nights, Legends of Charlemagne, many King Arthur books, Robin Hood, and Son of Charlemagne, just to name a few. This should keep us busy for a while.

One thing that was a big disappointment is the GA Henty books. I purchased quite a few of them at the beginning of the year because they seemed to fit in perfectly with the time period we were studying, but they have not gone over well in this house. Two of my children begged me (through tears--I kid you not) to stop reading "For the Temple." I've never had that happen with a read aloud before.

*We have never tackled Japan, but I would LOVE to see your plans and booklists!!!* There is nothing so wonderful as a study that really grabs the hearts and minds of the children. Besides, it will give me a good excuse to take the family to a Japanese restaurant. : )

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 22 2005 at 2:03pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Alice, thank you for your thoughtful post. I am reassured now and if you saw my other posts in the Sonlight topic thread, we have decided to go for the US studies and really do them right. I will be definately looking for your wisdom in the future towards the Ancients, and I when I read about your kids knowing more about the ancients than our history. My son asked me yesterday morning as we were listening to a great music CD of American/Patriot songs "What's the Pledge of Allegience?" Now, I know we have talked about that before, and I confess, we do not recite it before school. Maybe we'll have to add that in

Thanks again, I'll reply when our Japan notes are in the files. God Bless.

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 27 2005 at 12:46am | IP Logged Quote Kelly

We are just wrapping up a long unit on Spanish History, Golden Age of Spain, on up to the Spanish War of Independence. I intend to use the next month to backstep a bit, and cover a few things we didn't really get into except peripherally:

Art: Leonardo, Rafael, Michelangelo, Rubens, Rembrandt.

Science: History of Science from 1543 to early 1800s using "The Science Book" by Peter Tallack (we'll continue this on 'til summer!)

Religion & History: the Jesuits & their global impact on religion and history from their inception with St. Ignatius Loyola (which we already covered, part of the Spanish unit) 'til their suppresion in the 1700s.

It's the latter topic that brings me to you learned ladies for help...

Any pithy suggestions to bring the Jesuit unit to life? We've gotten into a wee rut of late, and need some pizzazz. I figured that covering the Jesuits in Japan, China, & India, then ending with America might provide a kick in the pants for our Winter Doldrums...and nicely bring us to the American colonial era, our next historical point of departure. We have done a lot with St. Ignatius, so we're underway, but suggestions for a unit are welcome! I have all the usual resources: Vision books, Mary Fabean Windeatt and so on, as well as Anne Carroll's book, "Catholic World Cultures" which has chapters on the Jesuits in all the above cited places. Also novels, "Danger to the State" (suppression of Jesuits in Spain) and "Chiraquimba" (Jesuit missions in Paraguay & their closing), but looking for more great historical fiction. (Too bad "Shogun" portrays the Jesuits so terribly, besides being awfully graphic!) My children are ages 2,6,7,10,12,15. They really enjoy hands-on projects (the little ones, anyway)and I need something to challenge the 15 year old. I did see someone posted about a Japan unit on Rabbit Trails which I will check out. We are studying Chinese, which will dovetail nicely with the China part. STill, we only have about a week for each segment, so I obviously can't do much in depth, looking more for stimulating & interesting!!! Any ideas for music? Were there such things as Jesuit composers??? Any great poems pertinent to these topics?

I know we could spend a YEAR on this, not a mere month or so, but so it goes...

Thanks in advance for any succint wisdom you can share.

Kelly in FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 28 2005 at 2:18am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Kelly wrote:
Religion & History: the Jesuits & their global impact on religion and history from their inception with St. Ignatius Loyola (which we already covered, part of the Spanish unit) 'til their suppression in the 1700s.

I don't want to get technical but my cultural pride compels me to point out that St. Ignatius is Basque, not Spanish. The other famous Jesuit of that time, St. Francis Xavier is also Basque.

Although the Basque people live in Spain (and in France in the Pyrenees Mountain region) they are culturally different from the Spanish or French. Their culture and language are very distinct. The language, Euskara, is like no other in the world and is the oldest surviving language in all of Europe. Linguists are unsure of its origins. Due to their remote location the Basque people were able to retain their culture intact despite the frequent occupation of the Iberian Peninsula by various groups throughout the years (Moors, Romans). Although they have ever had their own country or empire, they remained some what autonomous and were allowed self-rule until the last couple of centuries.

So, in my opinion, no study of Spain would be complete with out a look at the unique contributions of the Basque people.

-Famed whalers and seafarers- evidence suggests that they visited the New World around the same time as the Vikings
-Expert ship builders, famous Spanish Armada built by Basques
-No Spanish ship worth its weight would set sale without a Basque navigator
-Magellan was not the first to circumnavigate the earth (though he gets the credit). Since he died enroute, the second in command, a Basque - Sebastian Elkano, completed the voyage.

I could go on and on, but I probably had better reign in my fierce Basque pride.

Eskerik asko (thank you) for listening.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 28 2005 at 3:24am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Kelly wrote:
Any pithy suggestions to bring the Jesuit unit to life?

I wonder if anyone is aware of a book resource for doing the Ignatian Spiritual Exercises with children. That would be one concrete thing to explore in a Jesuit study.

Kelly , were you looking for additional Spanish connections to religion and saints in addition to the Jesuits? How about St. Teresa of Avila and St. John of the Cross- very important Spanish saints and doctors of the Church. Here is a link to a litany of St. Teresa, the Glory of Spain.

Also, St. James the Greater, apostle. He wasn't from Spain obviously, but it is proported that his body was taken to Spain and is located at Compostella, Spain. It was declared a Holy City and Santiago Compostella is a famed pilgrimage site.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Kathryn UK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 28 2005 at 6:23am | IP Logged Quote Kathryn UK

Kelly wrote:
Were there such things as Jesuit composers??? Any great poems pertinent to these topics?

I found one! (good old Google ...) Domenico Zipoli, organist, composer and Jesuit missionary to Paraguay.

For a Jesuit poet, what about Gerard Manley Hopkins. A bit late for your time period, but well worth dipping into.

Also Mission to Cathay by Madeleine Polland is about the Jesuit mission to China.

Back to Top View Kathryn UK's Profile Search for other posts by Kathryn UK

Kathryn UK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 28 2005 at 6:28am | IP Logged Quote Kathryn UK

We are in ninth century Britain reading about Vikings and simultaneously in Revolutionary America. I'm doing a slow run through of British history with my 6yo. My history hating almost 10yo decided she wanted to learn about America, not Britain, so we are doing both.

After Easter we will be reading about the Norman Conquest and taking a rapid spin through 19th century America.

Back to Top View Kathryn UK's Profile Search for other posts by Kathryn UK

Lissa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 28 2005 at 1:03pm | IP Logged Quote Lissa

MaryM wrote:

I wonder if anyone is aware of a book resource for doing the Ignatian Spiritual Exercises with children.

How about My Path to Heaven by Geoffrey Bliss? I think it's just what you're looking for.

From the Sophia Press website: "Based on the traditional St. Ignatius retreat (trusted by Catholics for centuries) and adapted for children, this clear, simple, thoughtful presentation of the Faith is invaluable for parents seeking to form their children in holiness.

My Path to Heaven covers such essentials of the Faith as God’swill, angels, Heaven and Hell, the Fall of man, the Holy Trinity, the Incarnation, the Nativity, the Passion, salvation, the sacraments, faith,hope, love, and contrition, and it teaches children the relevanceof these truths in their lives and in the decisions they make."

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Feb 28 2005 at 7:09pm | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

alicegunther wrote:
We are somewhere in the late Sixth Century finishing "Augustine Came to Kent" by Barbara Willard. The girls love history so much, especially because they associate it with pleasurable read aloud time and interesting discussion. Today's writing assignment was to write a letter from Wolf (the main character, a fifteen year old boy who has accompanied St. Augustine on his mission to England) to his sister Ana in Rome.

Alice,
How do you manage to cover history and the Lenten unit at the same time? Have you temporarily "paused" your history studies to focus on the Easter Vigil, or do you find time each week to cover both? I find (much to my dismay) that when I focus heavily on the Liturgical Year or on some specific nature rabbit trail, history is left behind. If I focus on history, we still manage to cover some saints, but nature study and science are put on the back burner. I know that I can't do it all, but there's so much I'd like to do and learn!   

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 28 2005 at 10:34pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

cathhomeschool wrote:

Alice,
How do you manage to cover history and the Lenten unit at the same time? Have you temporarily "paused" your history studies to focus on the Easter Vigil, or do you find time each week to cover both? I find (much to my dismay) that when I focus heavily on the Liturgical Year or on some specific nature rabbit trail, history is left behind. If I focus on history, we still manage to cover some saints, but nature study and science are put on the back burner. I know that I can't do it all, but there's so much I'd like to do and learn!   

In a way, our preparation for the Easter Vigil is a study of history in itself, particularly Church history. Because of the Litany of Saints, we will be reviewing some of what we learned this year, and we have been discussing how the Easter Vigil goes back to the earliest days of Christianity and that the Exsultet is one of our oldest prayers. This works out well for us, especially because we began at the year 1 AD in September and have worked our way to around the year 700 now. The Liturgy of the Word section also presents a nice review of Old Testament History, beginning with the story of Creation.

The other thing that helps us to keep up in history is that we always have a good historical read aloud going. At the moment, it is Fingal's Quest, the story of St. Columban's mission to convert the people of Gaul back to the Faith. As I mentioned in the "Living Faith" forum, this book made mention of the Paschal Fires in the days of St. Patrick, and this was a wonderful connection to what we are emphasizing now.

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 28 2005 at 11:47pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

MaryM wrote:
Kelly wrote:
Religion & History: the Jesuits & their global impact on religion and history from their inception with St. Ignatius Loyola (which we already covered, part of the Spanish unit) 'til their suppression in the 1700s.

I don't want to get technical but my cultural pride compels me to point out that St. Ignatius is Basque, not Spanish. The other famous Jesuit of that time, St. Francis Xavier is also Basque.

You forgot to mention that great Basque cuisine, too! :-)

I went to school in Spain and actually spent some time in Pamplona. The Basque influence/history is very evident (and the food really is great!). In fairness, I haven't read any book yet, children's book or other, that didn't mention the Basque origens of Loyola, Xavier et al. Even the Vision books speak frequently of Basque tenacity! Still, it's always good to remind people of such things. As a Southerner (and proud of it) growing up in a country run by Northerners, I kind of know where you're coming from :-)

Kelly in FL (Florida with a Southern Accent!)

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 01 2005 at 2:33am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Kelly wrote:

Yes - very yummy!

Kelly wrote:
I went to school in Spain and actually spent some time in Pamplona. The Basque influence/history is very evident (and the food really is great!). In fairness, I haven't read any book yet, children's book or other, that didn't mention the Basque origens of Loyola, Xavier et al. Even the Vision books speak frequently of Basque tenacity!

Kelly,
I hope I didn't come across too strong, I was just wanting to get a plug in for the Basques. It's good to hear the Vision books mention it in discussion of Ignatius and Francis. My boys have read them but I didn't actually do it so I guess I'd better. I went to the Basque country in 2003 with my mother and was fortunate to visit the town of Loyola where St. Ignatius was born. Very fascinating home and a beautiful cathedral there.

Our Domestic Church

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 02 2005 at 11:09pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

MaryM wrote:
Kelly wrote:

Yes - very yummy!

Kelly,
I hope I didn't come across too strong, I was just wanting to get a plug in for the Basques. It's good to hear the Vision books mention it in discussion of Ignatius and Francis. My boys have read them but I didn't actually do it so I guess I'd better. I went to the Basque country in 2003 with my mother and was fortunate to visit the town of Loyola where St. Ignatius was born. Very fascinating home and a beautiful cathedral there.

Not at all! On the contrary, I was thinking about you today when I noticed a book for sale called "The Basque History" by Kuralsky, I think??? Have you seen it? It got a great review in "A Common Reader".

Lucky you to see Loyola! I've heard so much about it, and we tried to get there (and to Xavier Castle) this September, but try as we might, we just couldn't work it into the intinerary. I always plan too much when we do our "Educational Tours", but am rapidly (well, "rapidly" if 15 years counts as 'rapid'...) coming to realize that traveling with six children means you HAVE to pare down your schedule somehow, somewhere. At least it gives us a good reason to go back :-)

Kelly in FL

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 03 2005 at 12:09am | IP Logged Quote Kelly

Just a quick note to thank everyone for the Jesuitical suggestions. "My Path to Heaven" is excellent, we've used it during Lent before, thanks for the reminder! Also the Jesuit composer and kids' fiction. Kathryn, you always come up with Good Stuff! I just ordered "Mission to Cathay" and we'll look forward to reading it. We've really been enjoying the Geoffrey Trease books you recommended a while back on the CCM list. Love getting new titles and British insight.

Kelly in FL

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 03 2005 at 1:49am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Kelly wrote:
I was thinking about you today when I noticed a book for sale called "The Basque History" by Kuralsky, I think??? Have you seen it? It got a great review in "A Common Reader".

Yes, I have read it. It's a very interesting book on the Basque culture and history. Some claim that the author is too biased toward the Basques, but then again that is probably part of why it appealed to me personally.

Mark Kurlansky has written another book called Cod: A Biography of the Fish That Changed the World. It seems like such an obscure topic to write a whole book on but it was fascinating and I learned how important this fish was in human history. Tha Basques play a large part in this book as well because of their fishing prowess. They were the first to salt cod and sell it - huge development in drying cod so it could be kept longer and rehydrated later. He also has another book called Salt: A World History which I have not read but sounds interesting as well. I think we take for granted how important this common household spice has been to the world.

There is a children's book by Kurlanksy based on his cod book which I proudly read to my children to indoctrinate them with Basque pride! The Cod's Tale

For anyone interested in other Basque books (and there really aren't that many in comparison to other cultures), Robert Laxalt, son of Basque immigrants and one of Nevada's most renowned authors, wrote many books based on the Basque people. Sweet Promised Land is simple story about the journey of the author’s father, Dominique, to his Basque homeland after forty-seven years as an immigrant sheepherder in the American West. While a personal story, it also speaks to the the experience of Basque immigrants in the United States and even to the experience of American immigration in general. Basque Hotel, Child of the Holy Ghost, and The Governor's Mansion (his brother was governor of Nevada) are a trilogy about his Basque immigrant family.

For children's historical fiction there is Year Walk by Ann Nolan Clark. It's the story of a 16 year old Basque immigrant who herds sheep in south-central Idaho (in the general area where Meredith lives - if you're reading this). Large numbers of Basque immigrants to the US in the early part of the 20th century were sheepherders - my grandfather was. There is an annual festival called The Trailing of the Sheep Festival in that area of Idaho which celebrates the sheepherding culture. It's new since the time I lived in that area so I've never been but hope to go one of these years. My parents went last year and really enjoyed it.   

Our Domestic Church

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 03 2005 at 8:25am | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Kelly wrote:

I'm so glad you mentioned this, Kelly. I became acquainted with the Basque culture while living in Elko, NV (yes...rural, remote, Elko, NV.) The Basque influence there is large to include the National Basque Festival around the 4th of July. And...the dining in Elko isn't much, except for the several, generations old Basque restaurants. Oh bother...now I'm hungry, mmmmmmmmm!
Elko Euzkaldunak Club
National Basque Festival

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version