Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Don't Forget St. Anthony! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 12 2006 at 8:00pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Tomorrow (June 13) is the feast of St. Anthony of Padua, the patron of lost articles. It seems many here on this board have special devotion to this saint. My mother's maiden name was Anthony, so our family claims him as one of our patron saints!

Catholic Culture

Domestic Church

St. Anthony Customs

There are special devotions year-round in honor of St. Anthony on Tuesday, so it's wonderful that tomorrow will be Tuesday for his feast!

St. Anthony's Bread refers to donations in his name, but I've been at parishes where small loaves of bread are blessed and distributed to the faithful in honor of St. Anthony. The blessing of lilies is also traditionally done on this day.

Liver is a traditional food in Italy for St. Anthony. There's some recipes in "Cooking with the Saints" which includes St. Anthony Soup and cornbread. One suggestion to serve for the adults is Sangria...yummy!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 12 2006 at 8:28pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Thank you Jenn - it is very kind when someone has compiled all this for others, that we may benefit - I have just seen this and it is lunchtime on his feast right now (we are ahead by 1/2 a day) and so I am going to use some of these links info with my children this afternoon.

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 12 2006 at 8:38pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

You're welcome, Anne!

I thought of a few more things, as I was telling ds about St. Anthony tonight.

One, he is a Franciscan. Studying St. Francis and his love of the Gospel is also applicable to St. Anthony.

Two, He was a tremedous preacher...his tongue was the only thing that remained incorrupt when they opened his grave. So a few lessons: learning to use our tongues only for praise of God...think before we say. And talk of our faith to others...don't be ashamed of what we believe.

On the tongue tangent...Stefoodie talked about how yummy cow's tongue can be. That would be an interesting dish for his feast!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 12 2006 at 8:56pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Jenn wrote:
On the tongue tangent...Stefoodie talked about how yummy cow's tongue can be. That would be an interesting dish for his feast!

What a thought! I like tongue too! Well it certainly is quite a tangible way of impressing onto the dc how miraculous his tongue was and how to celebrate that!

I just love the story about how he needed to get evidence from a dead man for a trial where one of his family members was being falsely accused. He took the judge and others to the gravesite, opened the grave and commanded the bones and dust to re-form miraculously into the living man in the name of Christ which happened before their very eyes, the man testified and cleared his relative and then went back to dust and bones!

It's great stuff - only in the Catholic faith do the stuff of tall tales, legends and myths happen for real and with great solid testimonies that would stand up in court to verify them!

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 12 2006 at 9:07pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

And the recent discussion of Glory Stories reminded me there is a CD with the St. Anthony (Seeker of the Lost) story on it. We are going to be listening to that.

Saint Anthony books

St. Anthony "Fun Fact"

He is great saint for our family because of his Portugese heritage.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

ladybugs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 12 2006 at 11:32pm | IP Logged Quote ladybugs

Thanks, Jenn for the reminder! St. Anthony is one of our family patrons!

Not sure what we'll do yet but after perusing the sites, I'll find something!

My etsy store - all proceeds go to help my fencing daughters!
Back to Top View ladybugs's Profile Search for other posts by ladybugs Visit ladybugs's Homepage

Molly Smith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 13 2006 at 4:09am | IP Logged Quote Molly Smith

JennGM wrote:
Two, He was a tremedous preacher...his tongue was the only thing that remained incorrupt when they opened his grave. So a few lessons: learning to use our tongues only for praise of God...think before we say. And talk of our faith to others...don't be ashamed of what we believe.

Thanks for this, Jenn! I had never heard it, and it is a terrific lesson for us all and a great way for us to honor one of our favorite saints today.

As for the cow's tongue, I can guarantee you that, delicious as it may be, it will NOT be dinner in the Smith house this night or any other !!

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 13 2006 at 5:06am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Thank you for the reminder and inspiration, Jenn!

I have a coloring sheet of St. Anthony put aside for the boys today, and we will read about him in A Year with God. I love the tradition of food donations made in St. Anthony's name. This might sound silly, but considering his devotion to St. Francis ... we share our leftover breakfast bread with the squirrels and birds under the feeders ever morning, and as we do this today I will tell them about "St. Anthony's bread" and the connection between the two saints. To follow up, we will fill a box with food to bring to church on Sunday.

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 13 2006 at 6:53am | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

We visited the shrine of St. Anthony in Padova. They have his vocal chords on display. I always wondered why...now I know!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 13 2006 at 7:23am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

guitarnan wrote:
We visited the shrine of St. Anthony in Padova. They have his vocal chords on display. I always wondered why...now I know!

Yes, thanks for the correction! It's his tongue and vocal cords. Pretty neat, huh? How wonderful you saw them.

I love that he's from Portugal, patron of Portugal, but since he preached in Italy, Italians claim him, too. Gives you all sorts of room for different foods and cultures.

Father Saunders on St. Anthony is really good.

Oh, and Molly...no tongue here, either, ever! It was just a suggestion from another thread on cutting up cows!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 13 2006 at 7:43am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

BTW, Nancy, I love your current signature...I'm praying that all goes smoothly in your transition.

In the Catholic Culture link, there are flaming dessert suggestions. They aren't really explained, because the symbols aren't listed for St. Anthony:

Here are some symbols, or how he is portrayed in windows and pictures: The Holy Child on a book; lilies; fishes; flask and crucifix; mule; money chest and human heart; heart (symbol of Christian charity); fire (for religious fervor).

Having the symbols always helps me have jumping points for foods and discussions.

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 13 2006 at 8:26am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Thanks for all the ideas, Jenn!

In case any of you decide to take the plunge with that tongue, here's a Spanish recipe we love (with a bit of a Filipino touch):

1 ox tongue, rinsed and scraped
Soak in brine in water, salt and brown sugar (about 3 tablespoons per gallon of water) for 24 hours.

Bring brine and tongue to a boil, and let cook for 2-3 hours over gentle heat, at which point the tongue can be peeled easily. (Some people say 10 minutes boiling, others say 30, then peel and replace the water, then boil again -- I hardly ever use the cooking water (health reasons, it's got all that fat!) so I do it differently).

Let tongue cool and slice as thinly as possible, on the diagonal. (about 1/3 inch thick)

In a casserole, saute garlic, onion and tomatoes in a bit of extra virgin olive oil. Add the tongue slices, tomato sauce, soy sauce, salt and freshly ground black pepper, a bay leaf or two, some of the cooking liquid if you like, or use canned or homemade beef broth -- if you like it soupy, add more liquid/tomato sauce -- we prefer just barely covered with sauce. Bring to a boil, then simmer gently for 15-20 minutes. Add black olives, pimiento-stuffed olives, sliced mushrooms (and pre-cooked potato slices if desired). Adjust seasonings, plus hot sauce or Spanish hot pimenton. Serve over rice; add a green vegetable or salad.

We cooked this two weeks ago, so maybe today we'll do the liver instead. Thanks again!

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 13 2006 at 11:54am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

I thought I missed a feastday again and it was already the 14 but thankfully I sat back down here before our run to the store and realized the proper date. So I've added lilies to the list and red wine for Sangria as I think heated flaming Glow Wine might be a bit much in 90' weather! But Sangria - yummy and cold - will be perfect! Some marshmellows, sugar cubes and lemon extract will let us try a Jiffy Flaming dessert. Maybe some individual loaves of bread and we'll be set to celebrate!

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 13 2006 at 12:47pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

marihalojen wrote:
But Sangria - yummy and cold - will be perfect! Some marshmellows, sugar cubes and lemon extract will let us try a Jiffy Flaming dessert. Maybe some individual loaves of bread and we'll be set to celebrate!

This all sounds delicious, Jennifer! Can you elaborate on the Jiffy Flaming dessert?

I would also love to know how you make sangria, but maybe a thread on summer drinks is in order ...

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 13 2006 at 12:52pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Dawn wrote:
marihalojen wrote:
But Sangria - yummy and cold - will be perfect! Some marshmellows, sugar cubes and lemon extract will let us try a Jiffy Flaming dessert. Maybe some individual loaves of bread and we'll be set to celebrate!

This all sounds delicious, Jennifer! Can you elaborate on the Jiffy Flaming dessert? [/quote]

I'm another Jenn...the Jiffy Flaming Dessert is one of a few from My Nameday--Come for Dessert by Helen McLoughlin and found here on Catholic Culture.

Dawn wrote:
I would also love to know how you make sangria, but maybe a thread on summer drinks is in order ...

Yes...there are different versions. Looking forward to a new thread, Dawn!

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 13 2006 at 1:07pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

JennGM wrote:
I'm another Jenn...the Jiffy Flaming Dessert is one of a few from My Nameday--Come for Dessert by Helen McLoughlin and found here on Catholic Culture.

Thanks Jenn! This dessert sounds perfect for my ds's 11th b.day "camping" party on the Feast of St. John. 11 yo boys would think this was very cool!

JennGM wrote:
Yes...there are different versions. Looking forward to a new thread, Dawn!

Just started it! I was remembering a delicious lime-grenadine (non-alcoholic) drink my grandfather would drink in the summer to keep cool. I'll have to ask my mum for the recipe.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 13 2006 at 1:53pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

guitarnan wrote:

I found the Basilica of St. Anthony online. If you go to the Virtual Tour you can see pictures of the reliquary of the tongue. Pretty cool...I wouldn't have known to find "Padova." Thanks, Nancy!

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 13 2006 at 10:53pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

Love the Jiffy Flaming Dessert---we'll add it to the roster for St. John's Feast Day Saturday!

When I was a kid in Ireland, steak was so expensive, my parents would buy beef tongue (much cheaper) and we'd call it "steak"...it was delicious, though those little tiny dots on the steak always perplexed me! Thanks for the recipe, Stefoodie, and the trip down memory lane

Kelly in FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 10 2011 at 8:59pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Bumping...

We are going to have a St. Anthony Park Day here on Monday, June 13 with our support group so was thinking about it and wanted to bump it.

We are going to have several hiding/searching activities, since he is the patron of all things lost. Examples: scavenger hunt, hide and seek, the shell game (hiding a bean under a cup), "button, button, whose got the button " hand hiding game.

Some other ideas I had for celebrating St. Anthony that aren't listed above in the old thread:
~Searching some "I Spy" books.

~Act out a little drama with a St. Anthony wooden spoon doll or peg doll and some goldfish. (Then eat the goldfish)

~Any fish crafts would work - like the one we did for the Craft of the Week.

~Print out the one of these great St. Anthony comic book stories (from Treasure Chest of Fun & Fact comics - archived at Catholic U.)

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version