Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Is anyone still blogging? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 04 2016 at 6:07pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

I've had my same old blog since 2006, but the last time I blogged anything was July 2015.

I'd like revive it but I don't know what to write about. I'm not looking to make money off it. (Though I probably should bc Heaven knows we could sure use the $!). But I really enjoy going back and seeing life as we knew it in 2007 or whatever.

It's mostly bc my curriculum record archive at this point.

I'm contemplating challenging myself to every 7 days/once a week make one post that includes:

A picture of:
What we are reading
What I'm knitting/crocheting
General day in the life picture
And posting a summary of the highlights of the week or at least that day.

Is there something like blog circles or themes going about? Anyone want to join me?

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 05 2016 at 7:37am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I would love to start again for the same reason. I look back and miss it.

I think I get a little discouraged because blogging seems to be so focused on photography now, and I just can't invest in an expensive camera or photography as a hobby at this time in my life. It is not like I truly need to compete, as you said, it doesn't have to make money or anything, but I find it hard not to compare. I like the pretty, and that just takes time.

I like your goals. I was also getting a little nervous about having so much of our life "out there" especially as the boys get older, but what you describe seems to be personal enough to invest in while still being distant enough to avoid oversharing or awkwardness.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Jenny
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 13 2016 at 10:26am | IP Logged Quote Jenny

Martha, I have a weekly post on Monday's I call "Daybook Online Journal" to keep track of the ordinary things going on in my life.

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 20 2016 at 2:22am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Martha

Still blogging.

Yes I find a plan of what to write about helps me be more focused.

and yes like Lindsay I struggle with putting too much out there.

Don;t know of any blog circles like you're thinking. Sounds great though.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 20 2016 at 9:13pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

Alrighty. I'm hoping to post at least every Wednesday with the yarn along bloggers. Here's my first yarn along . ☺️

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 20 2016 at 9:53pm | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

I think that's great, Martha! I like the yellow. Your knitting is beautiful!

I am about to go live with a blog myself. I wish I was a knitter. :)

Back to Top View Erica Sanchez's Profile Search for other posts by Erica Sanchez

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 20 2016 at 10:10pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

Erica Sanchez wrote:

Oh thank you! I've had the same background for a few years and have been thinking of changing it some... Still might.

You can knit! It's crazy how much easier it is than people think. Really. I took a class a couple years ago and took off from there. I've been having addictive fun daily every since.

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 20 2016 at 10:11pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

Erica Sanchez wrote:

And and let me know when your blog goes live and I'll link to it from mine.   

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 21 2016 at 3:23am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Martha

That's great. Think linkys are a good way of ensuring you write at least once a week.

For years I used to write 7 quick takes and it meant I was motivated weekly. and then I'd think Oh I better write something in between so there was 2 posts weekly most of the time

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 21 2016 at 7:02am | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

Martha, I couldn't comment on your blog for lack of accounts, but ...

I just popped over from 4real to check out your knitting, Martha. Wonderful! I am also knitting. Right now a mystery knit a long shawl. It is a challenge but I am learning lots in the process. I will friend you at revelry.

I am Steph4 at ravelry.

Wife and mother to Hannah '96, Maria '99, Dorothea '01, Helena '03
Back to Top View St. Ann's Profile Search for other posts by St. Ann Visit St. Ann's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Jan 21 2016 at 8:09am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I like the new look, Martha! And I love your knitting! I think it's great how you've tied those two together - it can be really motivating to share something like that regularly on your blog!

This is a FANTASTIC time for blogging - I really like the direction blogging is moving and the potential it offers moms like us. It's an outlet for expression, sharing, encouraging, recording - and for some, it is their niche in the market. Most (not all) blogging is now tied in with what looks like a website - with a blog, a shop, various resource pages, etc. The sky is the limit! With blogging, one can have a very, very small niche and still do quite well. NOT that you HAVE TO MOVE in that direction - there's nothing wrong with a blog remaining purely informational and personal (!!) - that's inspiring in its own right. My point is just that blogging, while at one point seemed to be waning and its future uncertain, has sprung forward again as a very viable and flexible platform of online communication and marketing and in my mind, seems to be here to stay.

I'm still blogging (since 2007). I've moved my blog twice now - from blogger to wordpress.com and very recently from wordpress.com to wordpress.org. Both times, I moved because the platform I was using didn't allow growth in the areas blogging was moving and it was lacking features or flexibility I wanted.

The wordpress.com platform is useable, stable, and very learnable and I really enjoyed it! It's perfect for an informational/sharing-only blogger, but it does have limitations. For example, I clicked over to your blog to see if I could suggest a plug-in to allow you link your instagram acct with a sidebar widget. I can suggest lots for .org accounts - but your .com account may limit you. Still...take a look on your dashboard --> appearances --> widgets --> primary sidebar --> and see if there is an instagram plug in you could use. Alternatively, you can always just upload an image - the same image you used to post at instagram - right on your sidebar. Label it, you can link to your instagram site (if you want to) and update it as often as you like.

The wordpress.org platform is wide open right now - but it does require some design knowledge if you want to get the most out of it. I'm taking a course in Genesis (design platform). I designed my own site, but I really am enjoying learning more about design and function. In particular, it's helpful to know that so many people read on mobile devices, so blogs that are mobile-ready are more readable. Google has stopped indexing blogs that AREN'T mobile ready - so that's a big curve to get around! And...since everything is going mobile, smaller header designs are the trend. Think of what you could comfortably see on your phone screen. Anyway, my level of interest/commitment is NOT necessary - this is just a personal interest of mine for various reasons! But I thought I'd share.

I'm finding (only just) that having a schedule and list of topics helps me. I love photography, so all of the photos on my blog are mine, but that's a personal hobby and it's my own "mother nurture." But, don't feel like that has to be a limiting factor - a lot of really great blogs use stock images from pixabay - just one per post. And there's no reason your blog can't be a nice combination of the two - personal photos and stock - if photography isn't your thing. I love seeing the personal photos!

When my blog started to become more heavily trafficked, I naturally dialed back the amount I shared about the personal stuff of my children. Some folks write to me and complain about that - and that's totally fine with me. I have no regrets.

No idea if that was helpful at all, Martha, but I'm encouraging you! I think it's great to step back into blogging - it's a fantastic time!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 21 2016 at 8:46am | IP Logged Quote Martha

Mackfam wrote:

When my blog started to become more heavily trafficked, I naturally dialed back the amount I shared about the personal stuff of my children. Some folks write to me and complain about that - and that's totally fine with me. I have no regrets.

No idea if that was helpful at all, Martha, but I'm encouraging you! I think it's great to step back into blogging - it's a fantastic time!

Thanks for all the tips on Wordpress! And I might have to think about Genesis too. I actually met my dh in a computer programming school many years ago, so I might find it fun to dabble in it again. I've been really happy with Wordpress all these years. I've heard many people move from other blog servers for all kinds of reasons but wp has always been solid. I have wondered about upgrading to a paid wp, but I worry about losing everything I currently have in the process.

One of the reasons I'm thinking of changing the blog look even if I don't change to upgrade to paid is bc it doesn't load easily or quickly on my mobile device and I suspect that's a hindrance for others too. I don't have it set up to pull up in a Google search and I started requiring signing in to comment bc I was getting some random crazies visiting. It really cut down on that. But of course, you can't really do that if you are interested in marketing the blog. And I never want my blog to be one of those with a ton of weird popups and ads all around the content. For example, I visit one for a recipe the other day and it had these cheap tabloid like ads for miracle weight loss and eat this disgusting fungus eggs looking thing ads. Uh just clicked away. Yuck.

I wonder if a paid account would give me more control and choices?

For me, as my kids have gotten older I don't share as much bc their privacy becomes more necessary. I still share many of our joys and such, but the trials and tribulations of older kids is more private.

Thanks for your post. It's very helpful!

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Jan 21 2016 at 8:55am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I think you could stay with wordpress.com and accomplish what you're looking for, but yes, you may have to invest $ to get what you want.

I did it the first year and re-evaluated the worth after a year. I purchased my domain name and ad free content (I feel EXACTLY the same way you do!!! I loathe all those ads!!). It cost me $99 to do that with wordpress.com. That $99 also allowed me access to the CSS of the blog and from there, I took a free theme and changed aspects of design that I wanted to make it my own.

I didn't do anything except share affiliate links through Amazon on a few of my posts, and I NEVER made much, but in the end, it DID offset the cost of the upgrade wordpress.com offered. And having that experience for two years gave me the confidence to go with a self-hosted site on wordpress.org. (You can actually migrate your blog, if you ever decide to do it, Martha, so that you lose none of your content and all of your links redirect to the .org site. A subject for another day, but know that it can be done.)

So...I would encourage you...IF it fits in your family budget...purchase your domain name, ad free content, and access to your CSS (it's a $99 package on wordpress.com and you can do it right from your dashboard). From there, choose a mobile-friendly theme because SO many people will read your blog on an ipad or a phone - WAY more than will read on a laptop or desktop. And enjoy learning the CSS again and tweak your design to reflect how you want it to look. CSS is super easy and I find it fun! With the CSS live editor in wordpress, you make a change and you will instantly see if the command effected the change you wanted.

Ok...time to run...reading aloud calls!!   

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 21 2016 at 3:20pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Mackfam wrote:
This is a FANTASTIC time for blogging - I really like the direction blogging is moving and the potential it offers moms like us. It's an outlet for expression, sharing, encouraging, recording - and for some, it is their niche in the market. Most (not all) blogging is now tied in with what looks like a website - with a blog, a shop, various resource pages, etc. The sky is the limit! With blogging, one can have a very, very small niche and still do quite well. NOT that you HAVE TO MOVE in that direction - there's nothing wrong with a blog remaining purely informational and personal (!!) - that's inspiring in its own right. My point is just that blogging, while at one point seemed to be waning and its future uncertain, has sprung forward again as a very viable and flexible platform of online communication and marketing and in my mind, seems to be here to stay.

Jen
Just love your enthusiasm. Making me smile and feel inspired once again. I recently invested in wordpress.org feeling as if I want to take my blog in a slightly fresh direction. As of yet I still haven't discerned what that is for me, what I have to offer that is unique, however your enthusiasm has me wondering anew.

Mackfam wrote:
For example, I clicked over to your blog to see if I could suggest a plug-in to allow you link your instagram acct with a sidebar widget. I can suggest lots for .org accounts - but your .com account may limit you.

I had a quick search last night I's appeared that wordpress.com doesn't have this feature but as I said it was only a quick google.

Mackfam wrote:
In particular, it's helpful to know that so many people read on mobile devices, so blogs that are mobile-ready are more readable. Google has stopped indexing blogs that AREN'T mobile ready - so that's a big curve to get around! And...since everything is going mobile, smaller header designs are the trend. Think of what you could comfortably see on your phone screen.   

Google Page Insights is brilliant to learn just how fast your page upload is, apparently it is best to have over 80. Particularly for mobile devices. I haven't yet got mine down to that and haven't had time to fiddle.

Mackfam wrote:
I'm finding (only just) that having a schedule and list of topics helps me.

Yes I keep a paper running list of ideas and sometimes I try to assign days, so Marth could be Mondays you chat about knitting and Thursdays about??

Mackfam wrote:
a lot of really great blogs use stock images from pixabay - just one per post. And there's no reason your blog can't be a nice combination of the two - personal photos and stock - if photography isn't your thing.

Martha, check out this post for a fantastic round up of incredible free photos!!

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 21 2016 at 3:56pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

Erin wrote:

As of yet I still haven't discerned what that is for me, what I have to offer that is unique, however your enthusiasm has me wondering anew.

I don't think you have to me unique. Idk what your blogging goal is, but mine is not marketing. I don't expect nor have any ambition to make money off my blog. If I did, I'd absolutely jazz it up in a quite a few ways and my writing style would change too.

But I blog for me. So it doesn't have be unique or something exciting. Millions of moms knit. That isn't unique at all. But we sure do love to see what each other making.

And the mundane is more interesting than you think. Think how common foodie blogs and home making blogs are. It's just what people are eating or how they organize their laundry. Who knew those could be hot topics.

Quote:
Yes I keep a paper running list of ideas and sometimes I try to assign days, so Marth could be Mondays you chat about knitting and Thursdays about??

I note things on paper or my iPhone. I take pictures on it constantly and go back later to delete pics I don't want to keep. I put a reminder on my phone to do a yarn along post on Tuesdays so it's ready to publish on Wednesday. Pictures on my iPhone are tremendously helpful bc it's quick and will trigger more of memory than a few quick words jotted down.

Quote:

Martha, check out this post for a fantastic round up of incredible free photos!!

Thanks!

Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 22 2016 at 4:50pm | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

Jen,

I started my blog on Blogger only because I had made a website there for the retreat I hosted in December. It was easy to create another one since I had learned the ins and outs of it.

If you were just starting out fresh, would you not use Blogger and go for wordpress.org?

I know next to nothing about this stuff. I don't see turning it into a business of any kind, either. I am open to suggestions. :)

Back to Top View Erica Sanchez's Profile Search for other posts by Erica Sanchez

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 23 2016 at 2:24am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Erica

Not Jen but will have a go at answering
I think blogspot is a great program to start with, I loved blogger and in fact am quite missing being with blogger, wordpress has been a huge learning curve.

If later you changed your mind and wanted to go business then you can migrate your blog over to wordpress.org. Actually moving my blog over wasn't hard at all, probably the easiest part of all.

So short answer rest easy, stay with blogger

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Jan 23 2016 at 7:45am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I'm glad Erin shared her insight. Mine is different - although I do agree that Wordpress has a learning curve! So...if tech/blogging in general is a HUGE mystery and you feel you're comfortable with blogger - stay put! Here are my personal thoughts...

I think wordpress in general offers more options and manageability and, in terms of look, is more professional. I think the layouts of themes are more intuitive and follow the curve of user preferences better than blogger themes. I also think that as a platform, they are more widely known and used and therefore, developers maintain the platform well which lends itself to overall stability of your site. And finally, the tech support on the forums for both wordpress.com and wordpress.org is superior. If you can't figure out why your site is doing something...or you want to make your site do something and can't figure it out...the support on the forums is awesome! I've posted numerous times and always had answers within 24 hours. Finally, wordpress integrates well with mobile devices and the reality is that the majority of viewers will be looking at your site either via a reader or a mobile device.

So....if *I* were just starting out and I had NO INTENTION of ever doing any kind of marketing, giveaways, etc - if I just wanted an informational blog I could publish photos and texts, perhaps share some files (pdf) with some other basics options for my sidebar - I'd go with wordpress.COM.

If I thought I might expand that one day...for example, Erica, if you ever thought you'd sell conference/retreat materials on one of your sites - like recordings or books or something, then I'd go with wordpress.ORG so that you can add an ecommerce platform.

If you have a lot of stuff on blogger and you'd like it to move to wordpress, then I'd consider paying someone to "migrate" it for you. I didn't do that when I moved from blogger (I didn't even know it was an option then). I moved my blog and all my posts are still at my site, but if you had an old link with a blogger url to a popular post and clicked through, it just takes you to my home page. I can tell that lots of folks click through from old blogger links and I wish the links migrated. So, I did pay for someone to migrate my blog recently when I moved to the self hosted .org site....which means that my posts redirect to the new post page - it's seamless. The person on the viewing side of the screen can't tell the work that went into redirecting that link "around the block" so to speak, so that it loads the correct page.

The wordpress.org side has a steeper learning curve (to me) because it's self hosted...which means that wordpress isn't going to serve your platform...they are just going to provide you the tools to maintain it. You'll have to purchase another service to "host" your blog. Anyway, that gets overwhelming pretty quickly - all those choices and options.

If you're thinking of moving to wordpress, I'd sign up for one of Julie Stoian's wordpress for beginners courses. She'll also migrate your blog for you. I'm taking her design course right now and she is the person that migrated my blog recently (which I was very grateful for!). I designed my own blog once she moved it, but she's done some fabulous designs - Meredith's blog, Sweetness and Light, and Mary Ellen's blog Tales from a Bonny Blue House come to mind as two excellent examples that Julie has designed. So...if you're intimidated about moving, but think that it would really be the best option for your needs (if you could only figure it all out ) I REALLY recommend working with Julie. She'll talk with you for free on a 30 minute discovery call.

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Jan 23 2016 at 8:05am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I forgot one other thing about blogger - their spam filter and comment management isn't as robust, nor as manageable as wordpress. When I started getting a lot of filth comments on blogger I began to get really concerned. I would have to check them out and filter them myself. With wordpress, my spam settings help me tremendously along with akismet which is a very functional and effective spam filter plug in on wordpress. Unfortunately, I get a TON of trolling filthy comments...but the akismet service whisks away to my spam filter and trash and I don't have to see them and they don't EVER show up on my site.

It's VERY possible that blogger has accommodated that need since I left. The comment management issue was one of the big reasons I left and I wrote blogger to talk with them about it. At the time, they had no plans to update or develop further tools for the commenting side of their platform. To me, that was an indication that they weren't invested in making blogger a viable platform that responded to the needs of their users. It was a big turn off for me. My experience with wordpress in the last two years has been completely the opposite - developers will go out of their way to work with a user (me) and ensure that you can work around an issue, and they're constantly developing and updating to follow the curve of needs and tech.

Ok...I'm TOTALLY DONE waxing poetically about BLOGGING PLATFORMS!!!!! Time to go clean toilets and get this crew tidying up here! Must do that...so I can blog later!

Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 09 2016 at 1:07am | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Jen and all!

I am going to check out wordpress a bit more. I hadn't thought about ever selling anything until you mentioned the retreat items. I think on the same day Cash asked if anyone makes money from blogs. Some people do! :)

I have notes written here and there about Grace's entrance. I'd really like to start posting what we can about that and other things.

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version