Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: lab books, notebooks question. Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
CathinCoffeland
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 27 2006 at 8:29pm | IP Logged Quote CathinCoffeland

I saw a couple posts refering to lab books or note books.
so I googled lap book and i have to say my inner hamester did a big cheer. (my mom used to call me a hamster because i left piles of paper scraps wherever i went as a kid-my favorite presents are still big reams of paper )

They look fun and dd thinks so too (she is already a full blown hamster. )

So a couple of questions. What is the difference between a lap book vs. notebooking. How often would you do one? Which subejcts?
Can you recommend some good sites/books for me?
DO you have pics posted somewhere i can see?
Thanks Maggie
btw my 2 yo ds has recently been found hiding it the corner with stacks of paper and the hole punch-definite hamster tendencies
Back to Top View CathinCoffeland's Profile Search for other posts by CathinCoffeland Visit CathinCoffeland's Homepage

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 27 2006 at 9:06pm | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

CathinCoffeland wrote:

so I googled lap book and i have to say my inner hamester did a big cheer. (my mom used to call me a hamster because i left piles of paper scraps wherever i went as a kid

How utterly precious!!!

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Donna Marie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 27 2006 at 9:18pm | IP Logged Quote Donna Marie

LOL! I love it!

Yes, I do believe your inner hampster will find some new-found glory in all of this! I have some sites listed on my blog that I have found to be helpful! A Garden of Roses and Lilies
I added a new link to the post just today about dividing the data...this site I have found to be very helpful whenever I want to plan out something on my own. Basically it refrences several of Dinah Zike's books and which page you can find the directions for making a fold that will hold your data the best...like if you want to label the parts of the flower (root, stem, leaf, flower) you might want to paste it across a book that you have cut into four pieces where you can lift the flap and have the definition under the correct part...golly this sounds as clear as mud...but! Read...and ask away! There are a lot of pictures to look at that help the very visual child in me SEE what I need to do

HTH!

Finding Elegant Simplicity
Back to Top View Donna Marie's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Marie Visit Donna Marie's Homepage

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: May 28 2006 at 4:37am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

There are lapbook examples and some plans here, here, and here. And there arenotebooks here.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 28 2006 at 5:34am | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

I was going to post a similar inquiry as I am reading about these 'lapbooks' in some of the women's blogs - I clicked on Elizabeth's link to Helen's site to look at her children's lapbooks and I am so IMPRESSED!

In these recent days it is like a whole new world has opened up to me in my learning how to enrichen my schooling and daily life with my children.

This site continues to bring blessings to me daily.

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

Donna
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 28 2006 at 6:06am | IP Logged Quote Donna

CathinCoffeland wrote:
Can you recommend some good sites/books for me? DO you have pics posted somewhere i can see?

I also recommend Dinah Zike's book. It's a wonderful resource and great help to get you going. Another great resource is The Ultimate Lap Book Handbook . Tobin's Lab also carries an instructional DVD to walk you through the making of a lap book.

Here are some pictures of a lap book we did earlier this year.

Jacob, Sam, and Regina with God
Grandbabies Leigha and Elsie

Moments Like These

Back to Top View Donna's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Visit Donna's Homepage

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 01 2006 at 9:36pm | IP Logged Quote Helen

aussieannie wrote:
I clicked on Elizabeth's link to Helen's site to look at her children's lapbooks

Dear Annie,
Thanks for visiting my site and for the kind words. I'm beginning to put up some youth group project notebooks. It will take me a few days. Here is the first post:
Our Lady of Guadalupe
Once I make all the posts about a project, I archive them in Castle of the Immaculate Notebooks

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

Donna Marie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 01 2006 at 10:00pm | IP Logged Quote Donna Marie

Helen,
This looks great...you are so creative! I could learn A LOT from you!...actually I am already!!...thank you for the inspiration

Finding Elegant Simplicity
Back to Top View Donna Marie's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Marie Visit Donna Marie's Homepage

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 01 2006 at 10:06pm | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

Thank you, Helen, for your beautiful pictures and project ideas. And thank you also, Donna Marie, for all of the great links and book recommendations.

I have not tried lapbooking but once ( a flop ). I am anxious to give it a try again and have some ideas to work from.

If there was only one lapbook book you could purchase, which would it be?

Back to Top View Rebecca's Profile Search for other posts by Rebecca

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 02 2006 at 10:09am | IP Logged Quote Helen

Dear Donna Marie and Rebecca, thank you both, you are too kind. It's easy to be creative when trying to bring Our Lady to young children. She provides all the resources!

I love Dinah Zike's book The Big Book of Books. I bought it years ago based on Lissa's recommendation.

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 29 2006 at 7:21am | IP Logged Quote Erin

To ask a slightly different question in relation to lapbooks/notebeooks.

Would a child who is reluctant to do notebooking because he is not that interested in crafty creating prefer a lapbook?

It occured to me that perhaps that would look less intimidating, the too open ended blank pages versus a lapbook where the space is limited so he would feel like he didn't have to do too much

Another question is, at the end of the year, how would you present all the lapbooks? What I refer to is with notebook pages they get binded together so the children take pride in their work all nicely displayed together to give an idea of the years' work. How would you go about displaying the lapbooks together so they don't get damaged and unappreciated?

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: June 29 2006 at 8:36am | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

Erin, I think it depends on what you mean by notebooking. My oldest isn't as craft-oriented as my others, and generally prefers plain notebooking (print out a narration done in a fancy font and sometimes color. Occasionally he'll place a sticker or two on the page or pencil-in a sketch at the bottom. He adds coloring pages to his notebook too, when highly motivated or required to my Mom.    )

That being said, I did require him to do 3 or 4 lapbooks so he'd have the experience. (This is my philosophy with most things -- you have to give it a chance before you say you don't like it.) He has actually chosen to do some lapbooks on his own since then. I think that the freedom to add the content and folds he wants helps. I suggest, but he chooses. He DEFINITELY prefers lapbooking to "scrapbook" style notebooking, though I'm not sure why, since I don't see them as being that different. Maybe it is the "too many blank pages" thing.

We just keep the individual lapbooks on a low shelf right next to the notebooks. They are readily accessible to all. They do wear more than things in page protectors, but using thick paper or cardstock helps. Laminating or using clear packing tape on the more delicate pieces would probably help too, but I'm not that together!

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 29 2006 at 8:51am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Hmmm. Good question.
I tend to think of lapbooks as being more "crafty" than notebooks, because notebooks can be as simple as a printed page stuck into a page protector-no cut and paste required, whereas a lapbook must be planned out and filled with all those cut-out, fold-out, open-up pieces!LOL!
My ds definitely prefers notebooking for this reason. If he is feeling crafty then his pages are more elaborate and scrapbook-like, but if not, the he can still accomplish the job with something simple-a typed narration or a labeled diagram, etc.
Storing lapbooks in a file box is a simple way to keep them together and preserved. They fit pretty well if you keep them simple.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 29 2006 at 9:19am | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

The Ultimate Lapbook Handbook link is coming up empty. I would love to learn more about this process as well. I've seen references to the Dinah Zike books but have not seen the actual books. Can someone fix the link to the ULH?

Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 29 2006 at 9:22am | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

Never mind, I found it by going to the site. In the Tobin's Lab site, Lap Book is two separate words.

ALmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 29 2006 at 1:22pm | IP Logged Quote ALmom

I haven't done a lot of lapbooking or notebooking officially around here, but we did do a Written and Illustrated by ... book (several in fact) which we bound just like a publisher. Now these took way too much time for the 3 yo to go rumaging through it and I wanted these to be around forever - so we store them in plastic ziplock bags on a higher shelf.

Everyone old enough to know how to treat them could get them down and read them. However, being in the plastic bag is a reminder that these are extra special and extra special care should be taken of them. It also protects them if the notorious knocked over glass of water thing happens. (We have learned to use plastic ziplocks for any books we bring in the car after warping quite a few with the spilled water - and it wasn't always the kids that spilled either! .

Janet
Back to Top View ALmom's Profile Search for other posts by ALmom

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 29 2006 at 1:51pm | IP Logged Quote Helen

Erin wrote:
To ask a slightly different question in relation to lapbooks/notebeooks. Would a child who is reluctant to do notebooking because he is not that interested in crafty creating prefer a lapbook?

Dear Erin,
I haven't required any of my children to make lap books. In fact, I had one child who wouldn't for a long time until he had his own ideafor working on a lap book and now he likes it. This is a child for whom writing is very difficult. I think he liked the way the other lap books looked when finished. The presentation made his work look better.
Erin wrote:

At the end of the year, how would you present all the lapbooks?

I've just used thumb tacks and put them on the wall.
(ouch) But, they are sooo proud of them!

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 29 2006 at 5:58pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

My un-crafty younger children don't particularly like putting the lapbooks together, though they all enjoy MAKING the little books that go in the labbook. And they absolutely love the end result. I often find them browsing thru their lapbooks. Still, the putting-little-books-into-the-big-lapbook process is a bit daunting, and Old Mom often ends up helping them quite a bit with that part.

My older dc prefer to stick with notebooking.

Kelly in FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 29 2006 at 7:15pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Kelly,
One way to think of it is that there is really nothing wrong with younger kids making the contents and Old Mom putting together the final product. My ds and I work together putting his stuff into notebooks and he really appreciates the time we spend together on this. We take the opportunity to discuss and reflect on what he has done and decide together the best way to display his content. He usually has great ideas, but needs help with the details of how to get it to work like he wants.Since he is older, he does the majority of the design work, but with a younger child its perfectly fine for mom to do the artsy stuff. And if the goal for your unit is learning the content anyway, then what does it matter, really, who puts it together? If your kids appreciate a nice final product and it gets them to look back on it regularly, then why not?
That is just my take on it, though and I am sure others feel it should be all on the child to put it together. That's OK too as long as it works for you.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 30 2006 at 9:22am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Breaking the topic up into smaller segments really helps Dd organize her thoughts and she can concentrate on the part of the subject at hand. Now that she is getting older I've started having her write paragraphs/reports after the lap book, referring back to the lap book almost as a planning tool.

So when we studied snakes this year she had little books with crafty pull tabs and such on snake senses, eyes, fangs that she wrote over the course of several days and on Friday she combined all the info into a nice written-in-paragraphs report.

I really feel it is less daunting to begin with a trifold booklet for the three types of snake eyes and condense the information down to the absolute necessary info to fit on the booklet and then expand the information out into a nice, full paragraph after a few days contemplation and review rather than just jumping straight to the write-a-report-on-snakes-today phase.

And we are great fans of tape rather than glue as stuff can be rearranged as the week goes on, after all who knows how big a certain part may grow as more info and creativity gathers together? It also helps with the planning of that final report if we can arrange the smaller bits in different orders on deck or table before the final glue down when we are completely finished.

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version