Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Shakespeare / Plutarch Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
kbfsc
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 19 2014 at 5:14pm | IP Logged Quote kbfsc

We have enjoyed the Bard around here, and have used several resources mentioned already. (I can't recommend Coville's books enough. My kids probably remember "Midsummer Night's Dream" best because of his version.)

One new resource to mention is the various animated versions of Shakespeare's plays from the BBC. I have found several on YouTube that my kids have enjoyed watching when we finish reading the plays. The animation isn't like Pixar... but still enjoyable. And it provides good opportunities to discuss the plot and characters since the animated versions edit here and there. My kids will point out differences and similarities.

Lastly, I hope to find some good productions for my kids soon. There is nothing like seeing a great Shakespeare production to make the whole thing make sense. Remember the plays were written to be watched more than to be read! A company called Shenandoah Shakespeare Express performed Henry V at my college and I fell in love.

Mary K
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 19 2014 at 8:05pm | IP Logged Quote Mary K

I agree whole heartedly with the Bruce Coville recommendations! PBS online has Hamlet(David Tennant, Patrick Stewart are both in it.) There's also some documentary style videos about the making of PBS's Hamlet. If you can, many cities offer free Shakespeare in the park performances.
God bless,
Mary-NY
Back to Top View Mary K's Profile Search for other posts by Mary K

Maria Rioux
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: July 26 2014 at 6:00am | IP Logged Quote Maria Rioux

Quick ducking in because I love Shakespeare. :) I made my notes on about 13 of the plays available online, and I also put some of the plays I wrote...distilled....reworked? for our kids (retaining as much of the beautiful dialogue as was possible given our performers. Happily, a 3 year old can deliver the line, "Beware the Ides of March!" with gusto and regularity. :)) You can find them on the Homeschool Connections website. Some are also on Mater Amabilis, but not all. Hope that helps someone. :)
God bless, Maria
Back to Top View Maria Rioux's Profile Search for other posts by Maria Rioux

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 26 2014 at 6:47am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

That is an awesome resource- Thanks, Maria!!

On a different note, I happened to see an Andy Griffith episode yesterday that had Andy retelling the story of Romeo and Juliet. It was hilarious.,,,
could be fun to watch as an example of how Shakespeare is still going strong

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

jawgee
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 26 2014 at 7:48am | IP Logged Quote jawgee

SeaStar wrote:
On a different note, I happened to see an Andy Griffith episode yesterday that had Andy retelling the story of Romeo and Juliet. It was hilarious.,,,

Um, Melinda, Andy Griffith aired about 50 years ago.   

C (12/2001), N (11/2005), M (5/2008), J (8/2009) and three angels
The Catholic Cup on Facebook
Back to Top View jawgee's Profile Search for other posts by jawgee

Aagot
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 26 2014 at 8:18am | IP Logged Quote Aagot

50 years is a drop in the bucket compared to how old Shakespeare is. Long live them both
Back to Top View Aagot's Profile Search for other posts by Aagot

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 26 2014 at 8:26am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

SeaStar wrote:
That is an awesome resource- Thanks, Maria!!

I just discovered recently that the Romeo and Juliet bit in the show originated from Andy Griffith's comedy albums he had before the show. Apparently he retold other Shakespeare in "country" form as a comedian. Google Andy Griffith Shakespeare, and you will get lots of hits:-)

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Maria Rioux
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: July 26 2014 at 8:35am | IP Logged Quote Maria Rioux

Check out John Branyan's "Three Little Pigs" Youtube video. :) He came here (to Benedictine)a couple years ago and was such a delight!

Off to do a lot of painting and some more mudding and taping.

Have a great weekend!
God bless, Maria
Back to Top View Maria Rioux's Profile Search for other posts by Maria Rioux

pumpkinmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 26 2014 at 9:01am | IP Logged Quote pumpkinmom

I just watched Romeo & Juliet on Netflix a few weeks ago and it was amazing! Of course, I haven't read R&J since high school so I couldn't tell you how close it is to the original. Julian Fellows was involved in this movie! It a new movie from 2013. I plan to watch it again and this time get the tissue box before the movie starts.

Back to Top View pumpkinmom's Profile Search for other posts by pumpkinmom

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 26 2014 at 10:45am | IP Logged Quote SallyT

Our longtime fave Shakespeare play-on-film is the Ben Kingsley/Imogen Stubbs "Twelfth Night," from about 1996, I think. It's wonderfully done (set in a sort of Victorian-era fantasy world, not Elizabethan, but still really beautiful), very clean, very funny and moving.

When we first watched it, my oldest was, I think, a senior in high school, which would have made the youngest watchers about 7 and 8, I think. We've watched it many, many times since -- it really is an enduring favorite in our house.

Belmont Abbey's theater program does one Shakespeare play a year, so we always hit that. Sadly we had to miss this year for some reason, and it was Midsummer Night's Dream, which broke my heart! But we loved last year's As You Like It.

Sally

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 26 2014 at 6:17pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

jawgee wrote:
SeaStar wrote:

Um, Melinda, Andy Griffith aired about 50 years ago.   

Think vintage...not old

You know, I never watched Andy Griffiths as a kid (or as an adult), but it's streaming for free right now on Amazon Prime, and I am watching it with my kids. I'm really enjoying it! The Christmas episode from season one has a duet of "Away in a Manger" that is beautiful.

On another note, the Usborne book site has quick links for many different subjects, one of which is Shakespeare

Check these out! The links are to kid friendly sites with clips of different plays, activities, etc. I think each play also has its own quick link. The Usborne rep I talked to said these are checked and updated on an ongoing basis to add new finds and weed out dead links

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

Marcia
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 18 2014 at 8:18am | IP Logged Quote Marcia

We do one life from Pleutarch a year. I use North's translation.   We also do one or two plays per year based on what I can find that will be performed locally after we have finished reading the play. My highschooler/jr higher will read the real play. I will read Lamb's version to the youngers aloud.

I wonder why
Back to Top View Marcia's Profile Search for other posts by Marcia

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 22 2014 at 11:49pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

We are big shakeapeare fans here, too. When my kids were little we started a thing we call "Club 38"-basically a pumchlist of allbthe Shalespeare plays we see performed live-because Shakeapeare trulynis at its best up close and personal.

Whenever we travel we always try to take in Shaleapeare plays or include Shakeapeare Festivals in our itinerary. We've discovered Shakeapeare in some surprising locales: like the wonderful Shakeapeare Theater in tiny cedar City, utah-or whoda thunk tjere'd be a topflight Shakeapeare rep theater in rural Staunton, Va? Some of the best performances have been in dinky little community theaters! I remember one such place that had my then 9-yr old so riveted during its performance ofbRomeo&Juliet, that he couldnt stand it a minute longer and jumped up and yelled "Run Romeo! Her Dad is coming!!!" Lol)

Anyway, weve managed to check off between 23 and 27 plays thus far (ok ok, so the 12 year old is a little behind the bigger kids haha)... Goofy tho it may sound, I always include "Club 38" on their Highschool transcripts under "Extracurricular Activities & Clubs", figure at least its something different and its definitely fun!

Next week we drive to Atlanta to see "Pericles"! Another notch on the Club 38 Belt

OH also headzup that Hillsdale.edu has a free online courses section that includes a series of most excellent talk shows covering many topics, including Shakespeare AND plutarch. Scroll down to where it says "Hillsdale Dialogues" and check out the offerings. The Shakespeare segments on Tempest, hamlet & lear have been great. Really well done.

Kelly in FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version