Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Collecting Data: France Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Kathryn UK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 19 2006 at 2:22am | IP Logged Quote Kathryn UK

Helen wrote:
Dawn wrote:

"since the gastronomic specialties of Brittany are all sorts of fish and crustaceans, they are always served on her day."

Could I use another sort of fish? How about muscles? Are they used in Brittany or is this more of a Marseilles kind of food?

Mussels are very popular in Normandy, and I guess in Brittany too. Also for Normandy anything with apples, as it is a big apple producing region. I would recommend Tarte Normande (apple tart) for dessert. We spent a week in Normandy last September, and I had some delicious mussels cooked with cream and apple - very Norman!

Back to Top View Kathryn UK's Profile Search for other posts by Kathryn UK

Kathryn UK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 19 2006 at 2:30am | IP Logged Quote Kathryn UK

Christine wrote:

I did look at this site a week or two ago, but it actually confused me. All of the books that I got from the library and most of the websites at which I have looked, say that Lisieux is in the region of Normandy in the pays (country) of Auge. This website says that it is in the region of Auge. Do you have any insight?

Christine, I think it is just loose translation. The Pays d'Auge is just an area of similar countryside, not an administrative region. The main administrative divisions of France are into regions and departments. You can find maps here. Lisieux is in the region of Basse-Normandie (Lower Normandy) and the department of Calvados (number 14 on the map). Car license plates in France all include the number of the department of registration.

Back to Top View Kathryn UK's Profile Search for other posts by Kathryn UK

Katie
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 19 2006 at 2:57am | IP Logged Quote Katie

What fabulous ideas. Are there enough years to cover all these wonderful trails?

I only have a couple of suggestions to add. the first is a book for Mum and Dad to read called French Revolutions by Tim Moore. This is the author's account of his ride along entire route of the Tour de France. He's not the fittest kid on the block and hasn't ridden a bike since he was a teenager. The prose is achingly funny and dh and I thoroughly enjoyed his account and travails. One caveat: the author can at times be a bit irreverant, and I'm sure there are the occasional swear words, so if this is a problem for you, be forewarned!

Secondly, and in an entirely different vein, I didn't see mention of Brittany's language - Breton. It is a Celtic language, one of six, and is related to Welsh and Cornish (a dead language from Cornwall). The other three Celtic languages, which are more related to eachother, are Irish and Scots Gaelic, and Manx (also dead - from the Isle of Mann). That might be a fun rabbit trail for those of you in the Brittany area.

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 19 2006 at 4:07am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Katie wrote:
Secondly, and in an entirely different vein, I didn't see mention of Brittany's language - Breton. It is a Celtic language, one of six, and is related to Welsh and Cornish (a dead language from Cornwall). The other three Celtic languages, which are more related to eachother, are Irish and Scots Gaelic, and Manx (also dead - from the Isle of Mann). That might be a fun rabbit trail for those of you in the Brittany area.

This is so very interesting to me, as I am hosting the Breton area and I happen to be of Irish-English-Scottish descent! I have yet to do a thorough research of Breton online, so any tips like these are immensely helpful!

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 19 2006 at 9:32am | IP Logged Quote Helen

guitarnan wrote:
Don't forget tarte flambée (flammekuchen in German). This is like a very thin pizza crust with cream, caramelized onions, and bacon on it, baked at very high heat for a short time. Yum!

That does sound better than kielbasa for the summer!
Thanks Nancy

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 19 2006 at 9:33am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Helen wrote:
guitarnan wrote:
Don't forget tarte flambée (flammekuchen in German). This is like a very thin pizza crust with cream, caramelized onions, and bacon on it, baked at very high heat for a short time. Yum!

That does sound better than kielbasa for the summer!
Thanks Nancy

I don't know, Helen. Kielbasa on the grill is quite yummy!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 19 2006 at 9:40am | IP Logged Quote Helen

If it is not too much trouble, could our fabulous volunteers post their recipe suggestions? If we need to food shop for something, we would have some advance notice.

Then we could just post the rest of our ideas the day before the actual race day.

How's that for a plan?

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 19 2006 at 9:54am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

For our anniversary, Dh took me to a wonderful French restaurant, highly rated in this area. It seems we go out mostly either to Italian or French restaurants for our special occasions. The owner of the restaurant was from Alsace, and there was a card suggesting trying wines from his region: Riesling, Muscat, Pinot Gris, Pinot Noir, and Gewurtztraminer. The food was just fabulous. I had nothing fancy, no sauces or such. But most of my dishes had wonderful fruits and vegetables and all the flavorings brought out the wonderful taste and texture of God's bounty.

I kept telling my husband how much I enjoyed the atmosphere and food, but my experience was heightened because of this discussion on the board.

Even though this was a "fancy" restaurant, I found the atmosphere quite cozy and relaxing. It drew me into focusing on conversation with dh and the food, not the place.

Which leads me to thinking about the decor style. I think it's "French country" or "French chateau" but it's a delightfully "homey" atmosphere that spoke "family" to me. The room had exposed beams, white walls. Furniture was a hodge podge, nothing matchy-matchy. Dark wood trim. Cafe style curtains. Grandfather clock. Simple tablecloths and plates, but pretty plates hanging on the wall. Nothing pristine.

I'm not saying go out and decorate like this, but it did give me food for thought.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 19 2006 at 10:23am | IP Logged Quote Helen

JennGM wrote:
I don't know, Helen. Kielbasa on the grill is quite yummy!

Good news! The tour is in Strasbourg for two days (time trials and actual race day). I can use both recipes.

Christine
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 19 2006 at 10:32am | IP Logged Quote Christine

Kathryn UK wrote:

Christine, I think it is just loose translation. The Pays d'Auge is just an area of similar countryside, not an administrative region. The main administrative divisions of France are into regions and departments. You can find maps here. Lisieux is in the region of Basse-Normandie (Lower Normandy) and the department of Calvados (number 14 on the map). Car license plates in France all include the number of the department of registration.

Thank you, Kathryn.

I will be sharing a couple of apple and pear recipes from Normandy.

Pretty Lilla Rose
Back to Top View Christine's Profile Search for other posts by Christine Visit Christine's Homepage

Christine
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 19 2006 at 11:37am | IP Logged Quote Christine

Helen wrote:
If it is not too much trouble, could our fabulous volunteers post their recipe suggestions? If we need to food shop for something, we would have some advance notice.

Then we could just post the rest of our ideas the day before the actual race day.

How's that for a plan?

It sounds great!

First, here are a couple of online recipes (thanks go to Marjorie for the original link):
Sauce à la Normande
Omelette à la Normande
Strawberry Tart
Crème Brulée
Normandy Chicken
I will, hopefully, post recipes from On Rue Tatin: Living and Cooking in a French Town, tonight after my little ones are in bed.
Camembert is the cheese that is affiliated with Normandy. Livarot and Pont L'Éveque are two other famous cheeses that are produced in the region of Normandy. Apple and pear ciders, coming from Normandy, are considered among the best. Calvados apple brandy, on its own or added to other things, is a popular drink for adults.

Finally, I don't know with which region it is affiliated, but I do recommend eating escargot. My dad is French and I have eaten escargot in France, Switzerland, and also cooked by my dad at home (he even made them for my high school French class). If you can get past the fact that you are eating snails, they are actually quite tasty.

Pretty Lilla Rose
Back to Top View Christine's Profile Search for other posts by Christine Visit Christine's Homepage

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 19 2006 at 12:47pm | IP Logged Quote Helen

Christine wrote:
   If you can get past the fact that you are eating snails

That is a toughy

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 19 2006 at 2:13pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

I just lost my whole posting of this and I am re-writing it so I will make it brief (unfortunately I have troubles being brief - briefer should be the word! )this time

I was going to reccomend a tremendous, unique Catholic documentary that is 5 hours in length all up - it is a four-part series, called 'THE ELDEST DAUGHTER OF THE CHUCH' The four-parts are as follows:
-Where the World Began
-Sun of Justice
-Hope Springs Eternal
-The Triumph of the Cross
This is EWTN's info on it:
"The 4-part mini-series chronicles the history of Catholicism in France. From the seeds of the Gospel which St Mary Magdalen planted in Provence, in Southern France to the churches, the most notably Paray-le-Monial, where Jesus revealed the treasure of His Sacred Heart to St Margaret Mary Alocoque."

It starts with the story of Magdalene, Lazarus, Martha and other New Testament characters (with the body of St Anne) and how they were banished from the Holy Land by the Jews in a boat with no oars, they float to...France.

It covers in-depth Mary Magdalene and St Anne in particular, facinating information about them and showing all their shrines, relics etc and miraculous history.

The story of Saint Denis is narrated with great detail, I love the story about his beheading with him subsequently picking up his head and marching to the top of the hill and laying it by a stream, the same spot in which today there is a great basilica built in his honor.

This documentary covers all the main saints, religious movements, the history of the kings, political upheavals and how the rejection of faith impacted on those events, and on it goes all the while you are treated to the most beautiful music, and you feel you are making a virtual tour of France with spectacular scenery, it also is a virtual pilgramage to all the religious shrines we would all love to see.

This has unfortunately just recently been show by EWTN and it is usually shown yearly or half yearly, but someone might have a taped copy (like I do-but no use to anyone here) that they would be willing to lend or run up a extra borrowing copy, to be lent around if anyone were interested. It is a gem of a documentary and would fit nicely into everyone's studies on France.

If you go to EWTN and look up the special programming for June, July and August you will see many other French stories of famous monasteries and saints that would also be great to watch.

Also someone mentioned La Salette in one of the earlier postings? I have a thread here that discusses a book on the life of Melanie from LaSalette if someone were looking for good books on the apparition.

(Can you believe my original lost posting was longer? - It was! )

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 19 2006 at 2:38pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Helen wrote:

How's that for a plan?

Sounds good to me, Helen. I am still trying to find some humbler Brittany food (than Lobster in Cream! ) and will let you all know ASAP what I will be posting.

So what we are doing then, is posting any recipes here in this thread (as soon as we can) and then posting our ideas for the region we are hosting a day before the race? So I will post Brittany ideas here on July 7, as my race takes place on the 8th? Are we also posting at our blogs?

I'm sorry I'm asking so many late questions - I just want to be sure I'm on the right track!

God bless!

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 19 2006 at 3:14pm | IP Logged Quote Helen

Dawn wrote:
So what we are doing then, is posting any recipes here in this thread (as soon as we can) and then posting our ideas for the region we are hosting a day before the race?

Hi Dawn,
I was actually thinking of posting the "complete" idea (whatever that is and it doesn't have to be reallycomplete) at the other thread Tour De France Idea. Let's continue to post recipes at this thread while we are still collecting ideas. Maybe if it is not too much to ask, cut and paste the recipe from here and put it also in the "complete" idea. This way, someone who is following this Tour de France idea can just read the "complete" idea without searching this thread for the recipe.

Yes, my suggestion at this point is to post the "complete idea" one day before the actual race day. I think I'll post a schedule at the other organizing thread.

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 24 2006 at 2:35pm | IP Logged Quote Helen

Limousine
named for a region in France (around Limoges.)

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 27 2006 at 7:51pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

Sorry if this is the wrong place but I've bookmarked the BBC Tour site for the dc. You can click on any stage and read a briefing about the area and food/wine and get a link to another site with more information. For example July 12th ends in Alencon the land of Camembert and cider. Click on Sean Yates' guide to a rider's day at the top for an hour by hour account of what the riders are doing.

Katie, I've started French Revolutions and it is so funny.

Anne Marie M
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 28 2006 at 10:05am | IP Logged Quote Anne Marie M

Gwen,

That looks like info from 2002. Does anyone know about a similar site for 2006? (Unfortunately, just changing the 2002 to 2006 in the url didn't work )

Anne Marie
Back to Top View Anne Marie M's Profile Search for other posts by Anne Marie M

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 28 2006 at 8:41pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

Oops.........here's the Cycling page at the BBC but I couldn't find anything like the 2002 site. Sorry

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 28 2006 at 8:46pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

Well, I thought I'd better double check my printout for this year's race after my faux pas above and sure enough, I have been planning off of a 2005 race map.

Whatever you do, don't pay any attention to anything I've posted in these threads .

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version