Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Collecting Data: France Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 12 2006 at 8:13pm | IP Logged Quote Helen

Hi Dawn,
For your region, I think of the head dress worn by the women in their traditional Bretagne clothing.A doll wearing the clothing
Sasek has a drawing of this clothing in _This is Paris_. I don't know if this is helpful. I think this area of France has a very distinctive flavor. I believe it is set high on cliffs. A travel video would probably give you a good feel for the area.

We've been working on a very exciting project. I hesitated to post it thinking it might be too elaborate. But.... Sculpey Clay to the rescue!! Have Sculpey Will Craft. (I think I'll make a sign out of Sculpey and hang it in my kitchen )

We've been making miniature models of some of the sights in Paris. Using an art book, Sasek's This is Paris, and Madeline for inspirational pictures, I made Notre Dame and the Miraculous Medal chapel (I needed the book St. Catherine Laboure for this picture). My son made the Eiffel Tower and the Louvre (as well as the bridge Madeline fell off of.) My daughter made the Arc de Triomphe. Some are better than others. But, the great thing was the conversation which was generated by the project. While my son was crafting the Louvre, I brought out an art book of the Louvre. I said "You'll see this, this, and this in the Louvre." He really looked at the art book with interest as he was making the building.
I made Notre Dame and put "flying buttreses" on. (Thin snakes of clay that have since fallen off.) But, my youngest son said "What are those things?" I explained their use in supporting the weight of such a building with such high ceilings and big windows. He was very curious that I showed him the picture of Notre Dame. He really studied the building!
So, this is not an elaborate idea but a wonderful teaching tool. I am going to keep these clay figures in a box, and maybe next year add to them. I have to find a map of Paris and we'll place our figures on the spot they belong (this will be a great way to finish up the Tour). I think it would be even better to draw our own map on rolled out craft paper, marking the Seine, gardens and main boulevards. But, one thing at a time!
This project is an answer to an unspoken prayer of mine. I've had architecture on my mind this year and I've been trying to think of ways to present buildings in a way which children would grasp. Well, this is one way. Have them make the building in clay. I'll see about pictures. I haven't tried to put them here yet...Let me see if I have them out of my camera yet.

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 13 2006 at 4:46am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Helen wrote:
Hi Dawn,
For your region, I think of the head dress worn by the women in their traditional Bretagne clothing.A doll wearing the clothing
Sasek has a drawing of this clothing in _This is Paris_. I don't know if this is helpful. I think this area of France has a very distinctive flavor. I believe it is set high on cliffs. A travel video would probably give you a good feel for the area.

Thank you for the ideas, Helen!! I hadn't realized this region was known as Bretagne, or Brittany, though I have heard that term before (5 years of French should have sparked a mental connection earlier, but oh well ). A quick google search came up with lots of information! I'm so excited!

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: June 13 2006 at 5:26am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Somebody help me! I'm just getting caught up on this thread and this idea! We have the mountain stage (which is good because it's late in the journey and I'm not all together here at all). so, if you have mountain stage ideas, feel free to fire them at me, particularly since I'm sitting here with a stack of Colonial America books, getting ready to fill the Independence Day basket . Now, I can see I need France basket, too. (Not that I mind another basket !) Who said summer was a vacation from learning?

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 13 2006 at 10:45am | IP Logged Quote Helen

Hi Elizabeth,
I'm still looking for a couple of good books to read! I keep trying out a book and the "drift away" or boisterous "non interest" is daunting. I've tried Madame Curie written by her daughter Eva Curie. (She is not French but since she spent a lot of her life in France, I thought that might work.) I forget what else...

We have a swing set. I was thinking of having a couple of obstacle course events in my yard. Something with climbing - even up and down the basement stairs. Something to indicate the level of difficulty involved in spending three days biking up mountains and the altitude issue.

We love salt dough. Maybe if the weather is too humid a relief map of the mountain in salt dough.

I could look the region up in my Blue Guide to France. Books about life in the mountains - or Cezanne's paintings of the mt St. Victoire (I don't know if that is the same region ??)

Tonight, I'll post pictures of our figures at my blog. It seems this is the best avenue for showing pictures here in the forum (according to Tim!)

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 13 2006 at 9:41pm | IP Logged Quote Helen

I discovered that the Michelin road map I ordered is too big and complicated. At this point, I am considering making an outline map of France and then marking the stages on my outline map. I can still use the Michelin for reference.
Here is the blog post with pictures of the Sculpey miniatures, our old map, and some organizing information.

KASB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 14 2006 at 7:36am | IP Logged Quote KASB

I haven't had a chance to read through all the great Tour de France ideas, but found this on Google Earth this morning and thought it looked like a great way to "ride" along. You do have to have Google Earth downloaded to use it - it's a GREAT resource for geography.

http://www.gearthblog.com/blog/archives/2006/05/tour_de_fran ce.html

Blessings,
Kym
mom to 9 (8 boys-23,13,10,8,7,4,2,10 mos. and 1 girl-22)
Back to Top View KASB's Profile Search for other posts by KASB

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 14 2006 at 8:10am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

KASB wrote:
I haven't had a chance to read through all the great Tour de France ideas, but found this on Google Earth this morning and thought it looked like a great way to "ride" along. You do have to have Google Earth downloaded to use it - it's a GREAT resource for geography.

http://www.gearthblog.com/blog/archives/2006/05/tour_de_fran ce.html

FABULOUS! Thanks, Kym!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 14 2006 at 8:31am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Dawn wrote:
Helen wrote:
Hi Dawn,

Thank you for the ideas, Helen!! I hadn't realized this region was known as Bretagne, or Brittany, though I have heard that term before (5 years of French should have sparked a mental connection earlier, but oh well ). A quick google search came up with lots of information! I'm so excited!

Dawn,

Search "Brittany" in this Feastday Cookbook by Katherine Burton and Helmut Ripperger for a few Catholic tidbits and recipes. July 26 is the feast of Saints Ann and Joachim, and Ann is the patron of Brittany.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 14 2006 at 8:43am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Elizabeth wrote:
Somebody help me! I'm just getting caught up on this thread and this idea! We have the mountain stage (which is good because it's late in the journey and I'm not all together here at all). so, if you have mountain stage ideas, feel free to fire them at me, particularly since I'm sitting here with a stack of Colonial America books, getting ready to fill the Independence Day basket . Now, I can see I need France basket, too. (Not that I mind another basket !) Who said summer was a vacation from learning?

Oooh, Colonial America! How fun!

Now what region does this mountain stage cover? Does anyone know the name(s)?

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 14 2006 at 9:43am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

JennGM wrote:
Now what region does this mountain stage cover? Does anyone know the name(s)?

Saint-Jean-de-Maurienne to Morzine (western France)

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 14 2006 at 10:13am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

all right, I'm completely hooked on Google Earth now. We're "Flying" all over the world today.

KASB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 14 2006 at 10:41am | IP Logged Quote KASB

JennGM wrote:
all right, I'm completely hooked on Google Earth now. We're "Flying" all over the world today.

I should've put a warning - it is addictive

Blessings,
Kym
mom to 9 (8 boys-23,13,10,8,7,4,2,10 mos. and 1 girl-22)
Back to Top View KASB's Profile Search for other posts by KASB

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 14 2006 at 11:33am | IP Logged Quote momwise

JennGM wrote:

Search "Brittany" in this Feastday Cookbook by Katherine Burton and Helmut Ripperger for a few Catholic tidbits and recipes

How in the world did I ever miss an OOP Catholic cookbook like this?

edited: That was a rhetorical question

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 14 2006 at 11:42am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

momwise wrote:
JennGM wrote:

Search "Brittany" in this Feastday Cookbook by Katherine Burton and Helmut Ripperger for a few Catholic tidbits and recipes

How in the world did I ever miss an OOP Catholic cookbook like this?

edited: That was a rhetorical question

Heehee, Gwen! It is a good one. It's one of the originals...I mentioned in this thread Reprint...as it is in print again. There is another link for a .pdf file which is a nicer print-out. I love this cookbook for the historical information. The recipes...eh, not so hot all the time.

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 14 2006 at 3:18pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

JennGM wrote:
Dawn,

Search "Brittany" in this Feastday Cookbook by Katherine Burton and Helmut Ripperger for a few Catholic tidbits and recipes. July 26 is the feast of Saints Ann and Joachim, and Ann is the patron of Brittany.

Jenn, thank you so much!! This information gives such wonderful shape to our focus on Brittany! The Lobster with Cream is a perfect recipe to include, since the region is on the water.

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 14 2006 at 4:33pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Dawn wrote:
JennGM wrote:
Dawn,

Jenn, thank you so much!! This information gives such wonderful shape to our focus on Brittany! The Lobster with Cream is a perfect recipe to include, since the region is on the water.
I'm glad it will help. I was striking out in so many fronts today, I'm happy to hear of a success.

Donna Marie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 14 2006 at 5:16pm | IP Logged Quote Donna Marie

Helen wrote:
I
Here is the blog post with pictures of the Sculpey miniatures, our old map, and some organizing information.

oh! The miniatures are great! I love 3 D work! creative idea! my dc are wondering what book you are using to make your works of sculpey art!

Great ideas Helen! Thank you for sharing with us!

Finding Elegant Simplicity
Back to Top View Donna Marie's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Marie Visit Donna Marie's Homepage

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 14 2006 at 9:35pm | IP Logged Quote Helen

Donna Marie wrote:
my dc are wondering what book you are using to make your works of sculpey art!

We used the drawings from This is Paris by M. Sasek. When we needed more detail I turned to some of my art history books. (I can't seem to leave a library book fair without picking up several art books.   )

I'm glad you liked the clay figures. Thank you!
We've done this activity on several days because the kids like it so much. I had to branch out of Paris and go to Rheims.

Thanks Jenn for the great information about St. Anne.

I asked my dh for a favor. I asked him to buy me some French wine. When he came home with about 4 bottles and we both looked over the map of France and the Tour schedule and figured out which bottle of wine we are going to have on which night. Afterall, this is a vacation!

Marjorie
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 15 2006 at 12:58pm | IP Logged Quote Marjorie

Hello, Ladies,

I hope you don't mind if I chime in. I have been following the forum for some time and love listening to your wonderful ideas on the Tour de France. As a French major and francophile, I have a soft spot for this land of over 500 cheeses :-) We spent some time studying the different regions of France this spring and really enjoyed The France Monthly Newsletter. It is site that provides interesting information on many regions/cities in France as well as easy recipes. While France may be the size of Texas, each region is very unique in architecture, food, geography and even language. Bretagne with its red-haired children and celtic influences are a world away from the Basque Country with its mysterious history and inpenetrable language or the Germanic influences in Alsace. The Tour of France is a great way to visit some of these regions, if only vicariously.

Happy Travels,

Marjorie
Back to Top View Marjorie's Profile Search for other posts by Marjorie

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 15 2006 at 2:58pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Marjorie wrote:
As a French major and francophile, I have a soft spot for this land of over 500 cheeses :-) We spent some time studying the different regions of France this spring and really enjoyed The France Monthly Newsletter.

Marjorie, Thanks for this! Looks terrific. And chime in even more with all your special French knowledge!

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version