Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Collecting Data: France Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Christine
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 15 2006 at 3:16pm | IP Logged Quote Christine

Thank you, Marjorie.

I have not had a chance to list saint and other books that take place in France, but I realized that I can simply link you to my family's library at LibraryThing. Our France related books can be found here, France.

I have a few books on hold at the library and I will let everyone know if any are worthwhile.

Finally, I wanted to remind everyone about the movie The Song of Bernadette (it is one of my favorite movies).

I am hoping that I am well enough to really involve my children in the Tour de France. I am about 12 weeks pregnant and my nausea seems to be getting worse.    My youngest has also become very clingy and demanding (he is needing more attention from his mommy who spends a lot of time in bed, lately).

Pretty Lilla Rose
Back to Top View Christine's Profile Search for other posts by Christine Visit Christine's Homepage

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 15 2006 at 4:05pm | IP Logged Quote Helen

Don't worry Christine, no pressure here!

Marjorie that is a great site! The map on the first page is great becuase it consolidates the regions of France.

The stork is the symbol of Alsace, the region I'm "hosting". Any ideas on pursuing this? There must be some great children's books about storks. Perhaps I should search the archives here...
How about a children's book with a german shepherd in it?

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

Christine
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 15 2006 at 5:38pm | IP Logged Quote Christine

One picture book that might be good is, The Secret Seder, illustrated by Emily Arnold McCully. My region Normandy (or Auge) is the location of D-Day, June 6, 1944.

St. Germaine (her feast is today) lived in Toulouse, which is located in the Southwest Region of France.

Monet visited various regions of France and certain paintings were inspired by the different locations he visited. I am hoping to do a Monet related art project with my children. Some other French artists include, Rodin, Matisse, Cezanne, Van Gogh (he spent some time in the South of France), Toulouse-Lautrec, Degas, and Renoir.

Louis Braille was a frenchman. There are a couple of picture books about him.

Louis Daguerre was a French inventor.

Pretty Lilla Rose
Back to Top View Christine's Profile Search for other posts by Christine Visit Christine's Homepage

Christine
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 15 2006 at 10:57pm | IP Logged Quote Christine

I forgot to mention another Emily Arnold McCully book, Mirette on the High Wire (it was a favorite book of my oldest when she was about 5). The story takes place in Paris.

Pretty Lilla Rose

ladybugs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 15 2006 at 11:15pm | IP Logged Quote ladybugs

What about the movie Winged Migration?

It was done by a French producer, no? (say that with your best French accent )with scenes of France, oui?

My etsy store - all proceeds go to help my fencing daughters!
Back to Top View ladybugs's Profile Search for other posts by ladybugs Visit ladybugs's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 16 2006 at 9:02am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Helen wrote:
I asked my dh for a favor. I asked him to buy me some French wine. When he came home with about 4 bottles and we both looked over the map of France and the Tour schedule and figured out which bottle of wine we are going to have on which night. Afterall, this is a vacation!

How fun, Helen!

That reminds me of something I keep meaning to mention. Not sure if the race covers this area, but the Avignon Papacy is a huge part of the history of France.

But a neat thing to show the kids (not drink, just show-and-tell ) are the labels on the Châteauneuf du Pape wine. This was a vineyard owned by some of the popes in the Avignon papacy and the papal coat of arms still remains on the label. The link has a little history.

I can't remember the travel show we saw that showed a short tour of the Avignon area...was it Rick Steves? And showing ruins and such of the time. In history there was a papal election that was taking too long, so the people removed the roof from the building, to make the cardinal hurry up with their voting....and I think that was in Avignon.

We have had fun with that wine, just because we can say "The Pope's Wine" and try to pronounce the French name.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 16 2006 at 9:15am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Oh, this page gives some small images of the labels. As you can see, not all the wines have the papal image (now is it the coat of arms, the seal, or what?).

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 16 2006 at 10:53pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Weak link chiming in here . While I was signing up at Netflix finally (in connection with my dd's high school history and lit plans) I tooled around for a few minutes and ordered some travel DVDs for France. I let you know what I think of them. (Remember, it is BLAZING hot here in July so we stay inside much of the time and watch DVDs while keeping cool.)

Thanks to all who are chiming in with so much enthusiasm and great ideas...oooo and Google Planet. Helen...thanks for being the glue that holds this together and CUTE miniatures .

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 16 2006 at 11:03pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Has anyone mentioned Enchanted Learning yet? I'll need to sift through later...John Paul needs me.

Oh! I'm wondering if there is anything over at Dover to tack onto our order with the Dover sale.

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Kathryn UK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 17 2006 at 2:08am | IP Logged Quote Kathryn UK

I'm not sure what the exact route for the mountain region in western France is but I'm guessing it is the Pyrennees. That gives you Lourdes and St.Bernadette. Also, a book set in this region is Waiting for Anya by Michael Morpurgo, historical fiction about a boy who helps Jews to escape across the border into Spain during WW2.

This book set in Rheims during WW1 is available free online from Project Gutenberg ... The French Twins by Lucy Fitch Perkins.

A few other books set in France, some in print, some not - apologies for duplication if any have been mentioned already ...

A Long Way from Welcome: a Mystery in Paris, by Echo Lewis - a girl from a small town in the USA is sent to stay with her new stepfather's sister, a painter and a nun, in Paris. Published by Bethlehem Books. For older children / teens.

A Hundred Million Francs by Paul Berna. Fun adventure story I remember from my childhood about a group of children who find a stash of money.

The Happy Orpheline books by Natalie Savage Carlson. Great for young girls. Also The Family Under the Bridge by the same author.

The Orphans of Simitra by Paul-Jacques Bonzon - two children orphaned in a Greek earthquake are sent to start a new life in southern France. I haven't seen this book, but it sounds interesting.

Back to Top View Kathryn UK's Profile Search for other posts by Kathryn UK

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 17 2006 at 4:30am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Angie Mc wrote:
Oh! I'm wondering if there is anything over at Dover to tack onto our order with the Dover sale.

I did find a neat cookbook Boulestin's Round-The-Year Cookbook for $2.98! The description says "Recipes are arranged by month of the year to make use of foods in season." I ordered it yesterday along with Legends and Romances of Brittany which seems to have a lot of folk lore about Bretagne, the region I'm covering, including saint tales!

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 17 2006 at 9:20pm | IP Logged Quote Helen

I searched France at the FIAR Message Board The Glorious Flight thread had a couple of book suggestions. (The Wright Brothers took their plane to France)

I had an idea today. I don't think I'll try it this year (unless my kids really want to). I wasn't going to ask my children to keep a notebook (just some reading this summer, geography and food) but if I were to start a notebook I would use the symbols of France as a basis for a written log. For example, Strasbourg's symbol is the stork. So, I was thinking of stapling together sheets of paper in the shape of an oval and then gluing this to cardstock. The oval would be the stork's body and then draw the rest of the stork on the cardstock. The information for Strasbourg would be recorded in the oval. Maybe the Eiffel tower for Paris? a windmill when the tour goes to Holland? ... I would love to find out the symbols for the different regions. I did find a website with some symbols (if you click on the symbols, you can choose to read the information in English). Although, I think I'm probably saving this idea for next year.

Any opinions on when to post the information? One day before? two days before?

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

Marjorie
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 18 2006 at 1:55pm | IP Logged Quote Marjorie

Many of you probably have already found this site the Town by Town listing of the Tour de France cities. It includes a blurb on each town as well as links to sites related to each. Now if it only had literature links :-)

I noticed the questions about storks and Alsace and the mention of the detour into the Netherlands and thought of The Wheel on the School. It is a lovely stork story although it takes place on the Dutch coast. It is one of our favorites.

I also noticed that a good part of the southern race is through the Pyrenees. This is such a GREAT part of France that is largely overlooked by Americans. My best friend is from a town in Les Lands - the area between Bordeaux and Dax and they have a house up in the Pyrenees. I will try to find some useful/fun ideas from this area as well as from L'Aquitaine (Bordeaux-Dax).

Marjorie
Back to Top View Marjorie's Profile Search for other posts by Marjorie

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 18 2006 at 2:07pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Helen wrote:
Any opinions on when to post the information? One day before? two days before?

I'm game for whatever everyone else thinks, but that's not much help, is it? So if we did it the day before, I would post Stage 8 (July 8) on July 7, yes (oui)?

What does everyone else think?

Kathryn UK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 18 2006 at 4:12pm | IP Logged Quote Kathryn UK

Marjorie wrote:
Many of you probably have already found this site the Town by Town listing of the Tour de France cities. It includes a blurb on each town as well as links to sites related to each. Now if it only had literature links :-)

I just looked at the list of towns and made a few connections ...

Caen (Normandy) - the Abbaye des Hommes and the Abbaye des Dames in Caen were built by William the Conqueror and his wife Matilda (as their burial places, I think). Caen is also very close to the D-Day landing beaches.

Lisieux - obviously St.Therese!

Bordeaux (Burgundy) - capital of the medieval duchy of Aquitaine. You could read about Eleanor of Aquitaine. I enjoyed A Proud Taste of Scarlet and Miniver - good for age 10+ I should think. The book starts with Eleanor in heaven waiting to see whether her husband King Henry II makes it up from purgatory (a little bit of theological license here, but it is at least Catholic-ish!), and tells her story from the perspective of four characters connectedwith her story.

Tarbes (Pyrenees) - very close to Lourdes. I think it was the bishop of Tarbes who first investigated the authenticity of the apparitions to St.Bernadette.

Carcassone / Beziers - centres of Cathar heresy in the middle ages. You could read about St.Dominic here, as he founded the Order of Preachers to combat the Cathars.

Macon (Burgundy) - very close to the abbey of Cluny, centre of monastic reform in the tenth century and one of the most important of all medieval Benedictine abbeys. St.Peter the Venerable was abbot of Cluny in the 12th century. Also a few miles away is the international ecumenical community of Taize, founded in 1940 by Brother Roger (who was murdered last year at the age of 90). You may remember him at the funeral of Pope John Paul II - the very old man in a wheelchair given a prominent place near the altar. You could listen to music from Taize (very distinctive chants, mainly in Latin).

Back to Top View Kathryn UK's Profile Search for other posts by Kathryn UK

Christine
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 18 2006 at 4:50pm | IP Logged Quote Christine

Marjorie wrote:

Marjorie,
I did look at this site a week or two ago, but it actually confused me. All of the books that I got from the library and most of the websites at which I have looked, say that Lisieux is in the region of Normandy in the pays (country) of Auge. This website says that it is in the region of Auge. Do you have any insight?

Pretty Lilla Rose

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 18 2006 at 6:40pm | IP Logged Quote Helen

Dawn - Do you have a recipe suggestion for your region? Maybe we need to know two days in advance in case we would like to attempt a French style meal. A little time to shop and then prepare?

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 18 2006 at 6:55pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Helen wrote:
Dawn - Do you have a recipe suggestion for your region? Maybe we need to know two days in advance in case we would like to attempt a French style meal. A little time to shop and then prepare?

Yes, I am going to make a seafood dish, and maybe the one found in Family Feastday (suggested by Jenn) which talks about how St. Anne is Brittany's patroness and, "since the gastronomic specialties of Brittany are all sorts of fish and crustaceans, they are always served on her day."

Here is the one suggested in the book:

Langouste a la Creme (Lobster with Cream)

1 boiled lobster       
2 tablespoons butter            
1 jigger   sherry                      
2 T. cream sauce
1 cup cream
2 egg yolks
1 tablespoon butter, melted
3 tablespoons cream sauce

Boil a medium-sized lobster and allow it to cool. When cold, split it in two and dice all of the meat. Heat 2 tablespoons of butter and saute the lobster meat in it for several minutes. Add the sherry, the cream sauce, and then the cup cream. Simmer gently for about ten minutes and then add the beaten egg yolks mixed with the remaining butter and cream. Mix all thoroughly and fill the lobster shells. Bake in a hot oven until lightly browned, or, while still hot, run under the broiler. (Note: Although the original recipe calls for crawfish, this is not easily nor always obtainable, and lobster may be substituted.)

Sounds delicious, don't you think? Though I may modify it a bit as I don't care to boil my own lobster ... I could buy cooked lobster meat and bake the mixture in a dish, rather than the shells, though the effect would be less impressive.

I guess I should first find out how expensive lobster meat is!

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 18 2006 at 7:34pm | IP Logged Quote Helen

Dawn wrote:

"since the gastronomic specialties of Brittany are all sorts of fish and crustaceans, they are always served on her day."

Could I use another sort of fish? How about muscles? Are they used in Brittany or is this more of a Marseilles kind of food?

I'm very lucky with my host city - Strasbourg. Sauerkraut a l'alsacienne!

Kielbasa, german hot dogs, sauerkraut
and new potatoes.

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 18 2006 at 9:06pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Helen,

Don't forget tarte flambée (flammekuchen in German). This is like a very thin pizza crust with cream, caramelized onions, and bacon on it, baked at very high heat for a short time. Yum! (In some Alsatian restaurants, especially in Strasbourg, you can get it with all kinds of toppings, but this is my favorite...it's the traditional recipe.)

Bon appétit!

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version