Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Blogging Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
4 lads mom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 2:19pm | IP Logged Quote 4 lads mom

I’m having a blog identity crisis. I can’t decide what direction I want to take things....I started a Wordpress blog with the intent of posting my knitting adventures, of my year of knitting “frugally.” I have enough yarn from my stash to keep me with yarn in needles in hand this year...and thought it would be fun to document it. BUT...then I think...why?
I don’t know...I would love others to visit and share patterns and such...we’ll see if it works out.

The blog I have been doing that is basically our home journal, I would like to step it up, but not quite sure, again, what direction. Keep doing what I am doing for mostly just journaling our journey and leaving it at that? I have given up on the idea of monetizing it.....just seems too complicated right now for where I am at in our life.

I just found out today that my sweet Pete is probably going to need a few more surgeries this spring and summer....along with a palate expansion and new braces, he is a complicated case so I know this will be a LOT of time devoted to his care for the next 6-9 months. Hey, I am totally OK with that, this is my vocation and life, taking care of my special people in my family...but where does blogging fit into that? Probably a lot more casual than I was even thinking a few weeks ago given the information we have had this past week with future medical stuff.

Funny what a difference a week can make in blogging plans.    

Christine
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 2:58pm | IP Logged Quote Christine

Mackfam wrote:

Over the years, I've had many requests to advertise on my blog as well as requests from sponsors, and though I appreciate the kind requests, I've said, "no thank-you," to almost all of them. I just like being my own voice, and if I link to or advertise something, I want it to be on my terms - because we use it and like it.

This is one of the reasons that I like your blog. When bloggers have sponsors, I am not sure whether products are being recommended because the individual really likes them or simply because the person's blog is sponsored by them. Thank you for all that you share.

Pretty Lilla Rose
Back to Top View Christine's Profile Search for other posts by Christine Visit Christine's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 3:10pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Angie Mc wrote:
Mackfam wrote:

How are you all doing with your blogs?

Well I can see that you are doing SPLENDIDLY Jen!!!! If you haven't been to Jen's blog recently, go check it out at WordPress now! Wildflowers and Marbles

Love,

Thank you, Angie. I really enjoyed the learning process of moving there, redesigning, customizing, coding...it was great and I'm pleased with the end result. It's still a work in progress, and I'm so looking forward to *not-procrastinating* ( ) and finishing up my last couple of unfinished items soon. I'm so happy you like the new look! It really means a lot!   

By the way, I really enjoyed your latest post on procrastinating! I took away some good ideas from your article that aren't overwhelming to me at all!   Loved the St. Clare quote, too!!

You have carved out a niche for yourself in social media that really works for you - you're FANTASTIC at curating pertinent and varied content and then distilling the content and merging it with your thoughts! The result is honest, sometimes challenging, always encouraging - which I appreciate! I know we've talked before and you've said before that blogging isn't necessarily intuitive for you...but I'm challenging you to reconsider that - because you've found a great fit!! And your voice really comes through - your posts are relevant and so varied!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 3:20pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

4 lads mom wrote:
I’m having a blog identity crisis. I can’t decide what direction I want to take things....I started a Wordpress blog with the intent of posting my knitting adventures, of my year of knitting “frugally.” I have enough yarn from my stash to keep me with yarn in needles in hand this year...and thought it would be fun to document it. BUT...then I think...why?
I don’t know...I would love others to visit and share patterns and such...we’ll see if it works out.

I think it's a great start - and you write passionately! I say GO FOR IT!!

4ladsmom wrote:
Hey, I am totally OK with that, this is my vocation and life, taking care of my special people in my family...but where does blogging fit into that?

It fits where it fits - in the margin! Some days have lots. Stretches of days have none. You don't OWE a post to anyone! Sometimes posting and journaling is relaxing and enjoyable, and a good reminder to seek inspiration in the little corners. Other times, it's just not a fit in the day or season! I have NEVER-EVER subscribed to the idea that as someone that shares on a blog, there are expectations. Nope. And when people write and tell me they expect something, I can dismiss it easily and joyfully.

All that to say --> blog in the margins of your day if it is a joy! Don't blog if it's a drag! You don't owe any explanation to ANYONE about ANYTHING! Take long breaks from blogging - come back anytime.    I am a long-standing and unapologetic (founding and only ) member of laissez-faire-joie-de-vivre-blogging-in-the-margins club!!

So...maybe instead of a blog overhaul, give yourself permission to just change a few colors or a theme, or upload a new banner that's pretty and gives a nod to your knitting love! And then call it good enough until there is more margin for more!!

I love reading your blog though!!! So, I'll be around and reading when you have time to write!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 3:50pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

Mackfam wrote:
Angel wrote:
How easy is it to move *from* blogger?

It's extremely easy to move from blogger to Wordpress. Pretty much impossible to move from blogger to Typepad if you're considering going back in that direction, Angela.

Over the years, I've had many requests to advertise on my blog as well as requests from sponsors, and though I appreciate the kind requests, I've said, "no thank-you," to almost all of them. I just like being my own voice, and if I link to or advertise something, I want it to be on my terms - because we use it and like it.

-------------------------------------------

How are you all doing with your blogs?

Well, after writing my response on pg 2 (twice) it started bugging me that I was whining, because deep down in my heart I know that my content has not been all that great in the past couple of years. Then reading Pope Francis' letter put me over the edge.

As it happens, I've discovered that moving *from* blogger *to* typepad is not hard, but you have to convert your export file to a wordpress file and then import it to typepad. (Go figure. At least typepad has easy to find help on their site.) It is, however, impossible to move *from* typepad *to* anywhere else. For some reason, your pictures won't transfer from typepad to wordpress. I couldn't bear losing 6 years of family photos . When I started blogging back in 2005/2006, Typepad was really one of the very best options. And of course who knew back then how much things would change in 8 years!!

Anyway, I had a talk with Andy about blogging in general, which I probably should have done a long time ago. His comment was, "Do you know how much a round of golf costs?" Not that he plays golf, but theoretically...

So... after thinking about it... I think I'm going back to Typepad so all my stuff can be in one place, and I can organize it a little better just in case anyone might find it helpful. It isn't an ideal situation, I guess, but I get unlimited storage space and unlimited blogs (so all the kids can have one). To make myself feel less guilty I may look into affiliate programs for resources we've used and that I don't mind recommending. I have such low volume on my blog that it probably won't make much difference (considering the fact I've made about $40 on amazon in the past 8 years), but I am in total agreement with your stance on advertising, Jen, and I like that you've chosen not to put ads on your blog.

The Typepad for Dummies book just came today as well. Unfortunately, I think I'm coming down with the flu that almost everybody else has had, but maybe that will mean I have time to sit on the couch and fool around with picmonkey?

(Yeah, probably not. )

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 4:03pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

Mackfam wrote:
4 lads mom wrote:

I think it's a great start - and you write passionately! I say GO FOR IT!!

4ladsmom wrote:
Hey, I am totally OK with that, this is my vocation and life, taking care of my special people in my family...but where does blogging fit into that?

It fits where it fits - in the margin! Some days have lots. Stretches of days have none. You don't OWE a post to anyone! Sometimes posting and journaling is relaxing and enjoyable, and a good reminder to seek inspiration in the little corners. Other times, it's just not a fit in the day or season! I have NEVER-EVER subscribed to the idea that as someone that shares on a blog, there are expectations. Nope. And when people write and tell me they expect something, I can dismiss it easily and joyfully.

All that to say --> blog in the margins of your day if it is a joy! Don't blog if it's a drag! You don't owe any explanation to ANYONE about ANYTHING! Take long breaks from blogging - come back anytime.    I am a long-standing and unapologetic (founding and only ) member of laissez-faire-joie-de-vivre-blogging-in-the-margins club!!

It's nice to hear you say so, Jen. When I start to have trouble and get worked up over blogging, I always find that it's the expectations I am having of myself that are the problem -- not anybody else's expectations of me.

I don't knit (I wish I did), but I think that it doesn't really matter *what* you write, as long as you are doing it because it's something you want to do! Passion and authenticity are interesting.

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 4:47pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Angel wrote:

I don't knit (I wish I did), but I think that it doesn't really matter *what* you write, as long as you are doing it because it's something you want to do! Passion and authenticity are interesting.

That's it! Follow interesting people and interesting content follows :) And for me it's all about engagement...and trying to put out something worth someone else's time to read. That is hard work but I hope I'm getting better at it.

Jen, thanks for the pat on the back! I appreciate that you are seeing something in me that I'm not sure I'm seeing . But this is by far the best I've felt about my efforts.

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 4:51pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

4 lads mom wrote:
I’m having a blog identity crisis.

I hear ya! It really is hard . But doable! I like all of your ideas but mainly I LIKE YOU! So I would just like to see more of you, however you decide to put yourself out there

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

4 lads mom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 8:57pm | IP Logged Quote 4 lads mom

Angie Mc wrote:
4 lads mom wrote:
I’m having a blog identity crisis.

I hear ya! It really is hard . But doable! I like all of your ideas but mainly I LIKE YOU! So I would just like to see more of you, however you decide to put yourself out there

Love,

Awwww....that’s so sweet, Angie, thank you so much!
I’ve just had a lot dumped on me this week with medical stuff, so I’ll shake the dust off and begin again...and that part is what I need to blog about as well.....I look back on everything we went through with Lily the last six years, and I am SO thankful I blogged it. So....maybe I’ll do a fun blog with my knitting, and I’ll keep up my other blog as a journal of Catholic living on the edge of sanity...I mean...striving for sanctity!!

One of these days, I HAVE to meet more of you in person! But until then, thanks for your support and friendship...what a blessing!

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 10:35pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

4 lads mom wrote:
I look back on everything we went through with Lily the last six years, and I am SO thankful I blogged it.

Precisely! We do forget things, I find blog posts jolt my memory So glad too

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 10:37pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Angel wrote:
It is, however, impossible to move *from* typepad *to* anywhere else. For some reason, your pictures won't transfer from typepad to wordpress. I couldn't bear losing 6 years of family photos .

So if you move to Wordpress what is going to happen to your pictures?
For what its worth you are in my top 3 fav blogs I'm reading, I love what you have to say

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 30 2014 at 10:23am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

From this 50s times blog I read this death knell to blogging.

Isn't that always the case? I hear Facebook is waning. The youth are leaving because the grown-ups are all there.

Both posts illustrate that we need to continue to blog and hand write and read books just to expand our brains and concentration.

It's no wonder we deal with so much anxiety and depression, as we have information overload, and the pace is too fast. Not even the quiet mornings reading the newspaper over breakfast is safe. We have no time to digest our reading...and after a while we won't be able to!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 30 2014 at 1:19pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

Erin wrote:
Angel wrote:
It is, however, impossible to move *from* typepad *to* anywhere else. For some reason, your pictures won't transfer from typepad to wordpress. I couldn't bear losing 6 years of family photos .

For what its worth you are in my top 3 fav blogs I'm reading, I love what you have to say

Thanks, Erin; I always appreciate seeing your comments on my blog, too!!

I decided against moving to Wordpress 2 years ago because of the loss of pictures, and it doesn't look like it's changed since then. So -- no Wordpress for me.

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 30 2014 at 10:30pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

I didn't read replies, just jumping in quickly to answer the original question.

I blog for a few completely amateur unprofessional reasons. I make no money off it and never have and don't suspect I ever will.

It's a way to save info where I won't lose it either via lost papers or computer crash. If I can't remember what oldest son did for 6th grade lit when it's time for 6th child to do 6th grade - there it is.

It's shoddy digital scrapbooking-ish way to keep loved ones at least tentatively in the know on things. This was a major reason when I first started bc my dh traveled a LOT and back then I didn't have FB or cell phones and such, but I could BLOG and anywhere in the world my dh was, he got to see a glimpse of what he was missing.

Sometimes it's been a convenient way to journal. I did that for Whole30 a couple times. Or a day in the week kind of stuff can be fun. Or just as personal accountability or reference same as a diary. Many people have blogs that they keep set as private for them only, or passworded for a select few. It doesn't have to be all out there or nothing.

I have control over it. Unlike FB or other social media that has itty clauses of ownership of photos or leaking info or changing policies constantly - I've had none of those problems with Wordpress in the 8+ years I've had the blog. And I have zero ads or whatever on my blog even though it's free for me.

I don't think you need a reason other than giving it a go to see if you enjoy it and find it helpful. If you don't, it's not big deal to delete it. If you do, great.

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 8:15am | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Angel wrote:
Erin wrote:
Angel wrote:

Thanks, Erin; I always appreciate seeing your comments on my blog, too!!

I decided against moving to Wordpress 2 years ago because of the loss of pictures, and it doesn't look like it's changed since then. So -- no Wordpress for me.

Does Typepad not have an ftp option? When I move my sites (switch servers, I've done it a couple of times) I use ftp as it is super fast and easy.

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 9:12am | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

Mackfam wrote:

So...maybe instead of a blog overhaul, give yourself permission to just change a few colors or a theme, or upload a new banner that's pretty and gives a nod to your knitting love! And then call it good enough until there is more margin for more!!

I'm not familiar with wordpress or typepad mostly because I found blogger easy and (so far) has cost nothing. I started the blog to keep a journal of our CM days and honestly to share with this lovely board . They are so precious that I know I enjoy looking back at even just the few years and posts I have...I can imagine when they really get older

I appreciate the thoughts and encouragement you ladies give each other...Jen, you've described my blogging journey thus far    

I enjoy reading all your blogs...I have a new fondness of knitting blogs lately too

Grace in Loving Chaos
Back to Top View Grace&Chaos's Profile Search for other posts by Grace&Chaos Visit Grace&Chaos's Homepage

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 4:43pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

MicheleQ wrote:

Does Typepad not have an ftp option? When I move my sites (switch servers, I've done it a couple of times) I use ftp as it is super fast and easy.

Typepad tries to make it virtually impossible for you to leave, so no... but since you mentioned ftp, I did a search and came back with a promising set of instructions on migrating from Typepad to Wordpress.. It is long and daunting.

I think what annoys me the most about all of this is that I'm just a mom. I have a million other things to do. I just want to share a little bit of our experiences. I don't want to be a pro blogger. I just want to write, really, and right now, this is how writing fits into my life. But fiddling with all this technical stuff just makes me want to run back to the 1990's when we wrote stuff in notebooks and put photos in albums and if you got email from somebody it would make your day.

All right, this anti-technology rant is over. Please return to your regular activities.

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 7:51pm | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

Angel wrote:
MicheleQ wrote:

Typepad tries to make it virtually impossible for you to leave, so no... but since you mentioned ftp, I did a search and came back with a promising set of instructions on migrating from Typepad to Wordpress.. It is long and daunting.

I think what annoys me the most about all of this is that I'm just a mom. I have a million other things to do. I just want to share a little bit of our experiences. I don't want to be a pro blogger. I just want to write, really, and right now, this is how writing fits into my life. But fiddling with all this technical stuff just makes me want to run back to the 1990's when we wrote stuff in notebooks and put photos in albums and if you got email from somebody it would make your day.

All right, this anti-technology rant is over. Please return to your regular activities.

Ugh, that does look like a pain! Sorry.   

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 03 2014 at 8:49pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

Here's another thought..

It won't transfer your blog info, but you won't lose everything either.

Turn your blog into a book. Then you have it, in hard copy even! And if you want to be done with typepad, just delete the content and go elsewhere.

Here's one option, but there are others.

http://www.blurb.com/blog-book

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 3
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version