Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Blogging Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 10:52am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Is there a Wordpress for Dummies

Do you mind sharing how much paid content would be per year?

Also Jenn - are there any online tutorials re privacy and file sharing on Wordpress

Another thing I dislike on Blogger is their new "integrating" everything - intrudes on privacy.

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 11:25am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Honestly, Marilyn, the best thing is to just make a blog and start. You don't need to pay a thing to start, and the GREAT thing about wordpress is you can customize and upgrade right within your own theme - make design changes, preview them, and if you want to keep them, you can pay and keep them without leaving preview. They make it very seamless and integrated.

Having said that, I don't find Wordpress as intuitive as blogger or Typepad in terms of the behind-the-scenes dashboard work. That could just be personal. Nevertheless, once I decided it was the platform choice for me, I just made a "dummy blog" and started clicking around. Open every drop down menu, click every thing you can. There are frequent help menus - read them. If the idea of investing this much time in learning this platform seems too much then Wordpress may not be for you. Typepad is much more click-and-go to me, and may be a better fit. AFTER spending a couple of weeks really getting to know Wordpress, I find it easy to navigate, but there was a learning curve. I'm sure there are tutorial blogs, I just don't know any to recommend.

You can purchase upgrades ala carte, but after I figured out everything I wanted, it was best for me to purchase the Premium Package which is $99/annually. The premium package includes the following:

** A domain of your choice to replace your site's default address

** 10GB Space Upgrade to let you upload more files and audio

** Custom Design to customise your site's appearance and choose unique fonts and colors

** VideoPress to embed beautiful HD video straight from your dashboard or from your mobile device

** Hides all ads on your site

Comparably speaking, Typepad will cost you $14.95/monthly for about the same thing (though I think you'd still have to pay to purchase a domain, however, you get unlimited space on Typepad) which in the end is around $180 annually. The difference is you pay monthly and can cancel at any time. But, they give you a 2 week free trial, so set up a Typepad blog, too, and click around. It's a fully featured trial. I used the entire two weeks to get to know Typepad and then cancelled the free trial because I decided Wordpress was a better fit.

In the end, it's best to just get in there, make a "dummy blog" and click around. Make mistakes and then click some more. You'll figure a lot more out on your own!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 12:00pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I have been a guest blogger or used other platforms over the years, including blogger and typepad. Wordpress is a bit more sophisticated, but I find it easy to use. I do not enjoy blogger or typepad at all. Perhaps it is because they seem oversimplified that when I am trying to correct code it is hard to get to that.

Anyway, there is an option in Wordpress under the Settings>>Reading to make your blog private or to have it not indexed by search engines. That doesn't guarantee it won't be, as the search engines do not have to abide by that.

There are books on how to use Wordpress. In fact, I'm waiting for one from my library.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

4 lads mom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 12:39pm | IP Logged Quote 4 lads mom

Goodness, this has been so helpful.....I’ll be looking at Wordpress as well. Thanks so much, Ladies!!

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 1:19pm | IP Logged Quote Betsy

Thanks for the info, Ladies. I know I *should* be blogging for my business it has just been on the back burner for 2 years. It was my goal this year to start....but where did January go????

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 7:19pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

WOW! I can't wait to get back to reading all the replies here. Thanks everybody.

Why do I blog?...

I don't like blogging. I never have. I'm not good at it. I'm not much of a writer. I'm not a record keeper, photo collector, or anything that predisposes me to blog. Also, the blogging community it rough. I mean...talk about talking to yourself! It's tough to get any feedback.

Blogging seems confining to me, too. I can't quite explain why but the interface feels clumsy and tedious.

And yet, here I go again! My current blog is my 5th or 6th attempt    Which gets me to...

The reason I blog is because I love social media and want to be a part of it, even the parts that I'm not very good at. I like the challenge of trying to get a (real) follower, a comment, a like. And I want to be a good neighbor...I want to love my neighbor through social media.

I also blog because my daughter does and we have a friendly competition going. She's winning .

And...

I want every one of you to be on WordPress because I want one blogging stop. I like the little pop-ups that tell me someone left a message and the ease with which to leave comments, etc. I see it as a place to find and build a community, too. Why oh why don't I like Feedly?!

I'm not sure if I can articulate this next part very well but I'm intrigued by what it means to have a "social media presence." Getting back to what Diana proposed, are we called to participate and if so how, why? I see social media as a real extension of my real self. I want to put myself and my passion for family life out there. And while I don't blog overtly about being Catholic, I take my example as a Catholic very seriously and I love the challenge of translating the truths I've learned through the Church into language that many can connect with. As I build my online community, it would be just great if someone thought, "Angie has treated me right and SHOCKER, she's Catholic."

Well, I have more to say but no time to say it. I'll be back later to read, and hopefully comment some more.

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 7:45pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

i've been blogging since 2004. started with blogger, moved to Movable Type (the self-hosted version of Typepad, i.e., kinda like the self-hosted equivalent of wordpress.com), then settled on WordPress.

i LOVE WordPress and i'm always trying to convert people to use it. i still maintain a few blogger blogs and i really like the simplicity (to me) of WP. i find blogger's coding clunky, but at the same time i probably am comfortable with WP because i have been using html and css and some javascript for years, so i know my way around code, somewhat. IMO WP is more WYSIWYG than Blogger.

at first i blogged just to blog and keep track of recipes, then i joined a blog network and made money for a couple of years (my most profitable month was $600) but that was just so stressful and took the fun out of blogging for me. i also had a community of bloggers -- we communicated via e-mail -- but i didn't like it much after a while because there was so much intrigue. bleccch.

i had great traffic when i was still at stefoodie.net, and even had a few offers from companies to buy out my blog, but at a time when i was soul-searching and wondering if i should keep on blogging, i let go of the domain name and now someone owns it and blogs so differently from me :( . i don't like what they've done with it, but dem's da breaks. i should have been more careful, because people still write me to this day and ask why stefoodie.net is different now, and i have to explain that it's not mine anymore. :(

these days i blog for 2 reasons -- #1 it's my apostolate -- i work with a couple of pro-life groups, one Filipino and one international, so i write on my blog, i write on a group pro-life blog (though it's mostly me) and another one that's kinda half blog half investigative reporting (so it satisfies the Sherlock in me ). #2 i still enjoy writing about faith, family, and especially food, plus some food styling/photography, and i still enjoy answering questions from people about things that i/we do.

developing a social media presence i think is very important (for those of us who feel we are called to do so) especially if we want to be part of the new evangelization, and i love that there are so many people involved now and so many ways to get involved -- there are those who specialize on life issues, or apologetics, or literature, etc. and there are people on twitter, pinterest, tumblr, facebook, etc. and you're only limited really by time and what you want to do. i jump from platform to platform as the mood strikes. sometimes i join tweetfests, like for today's March for Life.

as for community i've found a good combination -- our pro-life group meets in secret FB groups, and there are different levels/subgroups where we discuss different ways to work on our advocacy -- one is just for general information/discussion. next level, smaller numbers, is only for paid members (the money is spent on sending out pro-life speakers to events, or for feeding the poor, etc.), and then the next level, less than 20 members, for the board of trustees. i share this because some people think it's impossible to build community via FB but it is very possible. those of us in the smaller group meet up often IRL to discuss pro-life stuff, but also to get to know each other's families and just fellowship together. within the bigger group, there's a bunch of us bloggers, so we've also created a subgroup, where we plan blogging events, usually on pro-life issues or apologetics.

i also love blogging/all forms of social media, because it's one more way i bond with my kids. we're all on FB and we post articles on each other's walls, mostly pro-life stuff, but also fun things like geeky articles or DIY. our 22-year-old also blogs and has been doing it since 2005 or so, so it's fun reading her stuff especially in the summertime when she's away on internship. our 17-year-old blogs, as a subdomain on my site, and on tumblr. the 12-year-old and 15-year-old blog too, and that's where i read some of their stories that aren't really "homework", just stories that they're working on for fun.

sorry for rambling, as you can see, i LOVE blogging, though i have my ups and downs too. it became relaxing for me when i stopped worrying about audience (especially since i lost ~90% when i lost my domain name). it's fun to have blog conversations with a select few, and we don't get offended if we don't have time to comment or read each other's blogs, since we understand that we're all busy and have our primary vocations to tend to.

hope that helps!

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 8:11pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

stefoodie wrote:
it's fun to have blog conversations with a select few, and we don't get offended if we don't have time to comment or read each other's blogs, since we understand that we're all busy and have our primary vocations to tend to.

I like this Stef. I don't have time or inclination for blog drama - worrying about who visits and who comments. Same as I have periods where I visit some blogs and other times I just am not online.

This brings me to a larger consideration with blogging - or really anything else online (or IRL) My principal calling right now is wife, mom, teacher. Whilst blogging and writing , or giving talks, or caring for the poor in Africa might seem a lot more fulfilling and glamorous and good - I can really only do these as secondary to my primary vocation. No point showcasing my beautiful lesson plans if I am not actually teaching my children. Not worth writing a beautiful meditation on marriage, if writing it means that my husband is ignored and lonely whilst I spend yet another evening in front of the computer.

Unlike most others - I also have major privacy concerns. Having my husband and my kids' godmother working in internet and network security, I am made very aware of possible dangers with photos online and other privacy issues.

So....as I look at Wordpress and get all excited about blogging again, I like to keep all of this in mind........

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 8:22pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Erin wrote:

Reasons for blogging vary from person to person. I've been blogging for 7 years now and it's twofold; as a family journal and for a creative outlet for me.

As with the why we blog, the what types of blogs we're drawn to also vary individually. I'm drawn to more 'slice of life' type blogs, but then often I know the person from here, perhaps their humour, a life parallel, their style of writing, what they blog about all play a factor to whether I read them regularly. Generally I have 30 blogs in my feedly. Sometimes I add blogs that reflect various interests too, not only homeschooling or Catholic, they might be book, sewing, photography or food blogs.

I really love the fact that Erin has been blogging consistently for so long. This is how I would like to blog.

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 9:08pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Gosh this is hard for me to try to explain what I'm experiencing, and anticipating, in social media.

I don't believe that blogging is for an elite few anymore (well, I guess I never thought it ever was) but instead it is one way to be in the world...a part of a social whole. Social media today may feel like an extra...a hobby...a treat. But it is heading toward something more...something that integrates into a whole. I imagine when electricity was growing, starting in cities and moving outward, there were (still are) people who didn't think it was about them, that it was an extra. But now most people see electricity akin to the air we breathe, a part of our wholeness.

Social media is varied and there is a place for everyone (from Twitter to Facebook to message boards to Spotify to Pinterest to Instagram....) And I see these changing and morphing and becoming more integrated too. I read a year back, or so, that the reason to get on board with social media is because when you realize you need it, you'll be late. It takes time to learn, engage, and grow a community. And that's another driving force for me. As my youngest is almost 9 I'm considering my future and taking a shot at an entrepreneurial idea I have. Social media will be a part of it.

And I still haven't read everything here

Later gators,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 23 2014 at 6:34pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Angie Mc wrote:
Gosh this is hard for me to try to explain what I'm experiencing, and anticipating, in social media.

I don't believe that blogging is for an elite few anymore (well, I guess I never thought it ever was) but instead it is one way to be in the world...a part of a social whole. Social media today may feel like an extra...a hobby...a treat. But it is heading toward something more...something that integrates into a whole. I imagine when electricity was growing, starting in cities and moving outward, there were (still are) people who didn't think it was about them, that it was an extra. But now most people see electricity akin to the air we breathe, a part of our wholeness.

Social media is varied and there is a place for everyone (from Twitter to Facebook to message boards to Spotify to Pinterest to Instagram....) And I see these changing and morphing and becoming more integrated too. I read a year back, or so, that the reason to get on board with social media is because when you realize you need it, you'll be late. It takes time to learn, engage, and grow a community. And that's another driving force for me. As my youngest is almost 9 I'm considering my future and taking a shot at an entrepreneurial idea I have. Social media will be a part of it.

Angie, I thought of you immediately with Pope Francis' message The Internet is 'gift from God'.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 23 2014 at 7:38pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

JennGM wrote:

Angie, I thought of you immediately with Pope Francis' message The Internet is 'gift from God'.

Jenn, you made my day! YES!!!! Oh, I have more to say but need time to think. If I don't get back this week, I will again next Wednesday

Love,

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 23 2014 at 10:37pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I just read this post from a knitting blog I follow. She has been blogging for ten years and never had sponsors or paid to blog, even though she does the knitting and writing books for a living. Stuff to ponder.

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 24 2014 at 6:38pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

"Community" seems to be a buzz word right now (and "solidarity" too!!!) I see it in a lot that Pope Francis says, sermons for the March for Life at the Basilica, what Angie posted. Also in the knitting blog post Jenn linked.

I think we are all searching for community - we live in such a busy, lonely world. I am not convinced that the online world provides that community. Or at least not all of it. Jenn - I am sure you enjoyed the real community around you in your town and surroundings who were there after your surgery. I think the online community (as this board, blog friends etc show) can be a great community, but I also think that a lot of social media isolates rather than creates community. Isolates people in the same house, in the same school, in the same town. So I am not (yet?) convinced that we need more of it and that it all has to be integrated.

The kind of community I yearn for is that of my growing up years when we knew all our neighbors and people at our parish. When people had time to visit , sit on front porches, look out for other's kids. The kind of community that it is really hard to find in affluent suburbs, but seems to exist more in rural communities. Maybe I am an idealist and this can not happen anymore.

But maybe we can only start with creating community within our own family - then reach out.

I quit the digressing now....back to the blogging topic

Amber-v
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Jan 24 2014 at 6:51pm | IP Logged Quote Amber-v

I would love to blog, and have off and on for the last 12 years. I haven't done much more than post pictures and some simple descriptions on a private family blog for the last three years while I've struggled with the idea of blogging.

I want to blog because I want to participate in this online blogging world that has enriched my life so much. But yet without anyone reading it, am I really participating, or just wasting my time? I want to write, but I'm generally so disappointed with how it comes out in the end that it hardly seems worth the bother.

I recently read a blog post that I found very encouraging in thinking about the second part - On Finding Your Voice - In Writing and in Life. I found this very helpful. I still haven't figured out the answer to the first park though - is it worth doing if no one is reading? Would it be better to just journal and keep it to myself, and not worry about trying to polish it up?

I think about writing a blog about venturing out - in little ways by writing about things that involve more of me than the superficial, and in bigger and more literal ways in documenting and sharing the hikes and outdoor trips my family does together. I think it might be encouraging to be able to read about a family who still hikes, backpacks, mountain bikes, snowshoes, etc. even when they have five kids.

Thanks for this discussion, it has been quite interesting and thought provoking.

Amber

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 24 2014 at 7:27pm | IP Logged Quote Betsy

JennGM wrote:
I just read this post from a knitting blog I follow. She has been blogging for ten years and never had sponsors or paid to blog, even though she does the knitting and writing books for a living. Stuff to ponder.

Great post by Stephanie!

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 25 2014 at 5:35pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

Ok, so I was just typing a long reply to this thread on my husband's iPad and then it died and lost it. Ugh. Let's see if I can recreate what I was trying to say *really fast* before I need to make dinner...

I've been blogging for a little over 8 years now. I started out on typepad, but switched to blogger a year or so ago because typepad was continually having technical issues and I wasn't sure I could continue to justify paying to blog, considering that I didn't have any sponsors and I only made a miniscule (really, really miniscule) amount of money through the Amazon affiliate program. My blog on typepad is still there because I couldn't import everything to blogger, and I couldn't import the blog with pictures to the free version of wordpress either.

I question the decision to move my blog all. the. time. I question the decision to keep blogging all the time, too, because it seems so much harder now trying to teach 6 of 8 kids, with the older two in high school, and then when I do finally manage to put up a post, all the hits seems to come from those idiotic spam sites. I think my pride is involved here, because while I do continue to blog mostly because I like blogging (and I can't imagine life without *some* kind of writing in it), writing (blogging) *is* a kind of communication, and when it seems like you're communicating into a vast void where very few people give you feedback, it's easy to get discouraged and wonder if it's really worth the time it took to put the post together. I seem sometimes to be caught in the middle between writing for *me* and my family and wanting to write posts that other people want to read.

But really, the posts I like to read the most are those "slice of life" posts that Erin mentioned -- the ones that aren't really done to gain "readership". I think that one of the things that has made me saddest about the way that blogs have evolved is how so many of blogs have now become so generic and business-like. They seem to have lost their individual voices amid all the giveaways and the articles about "Five Ways to Get Your Child to Love Plato."

(Ok, so I would read that post. But I'm sure you know what I mean.)

What draws me most to a blog is the author's individuality. I really, really love just seeing what people do in a week. Or how they organized their own closet (without telling you exactly how you can organize yours in six easy steps.)

I think I'm a dinosaur. I'm really blogging, as I read on one blog recently, "like it's 2004".

Anyway, I would *love* to see a blogging renaissance, because I really don't like Facebook. (It's just not intuitive for me. I can sit there for 30 minutes trying to figure out what to write for my status.) I'd really like to have another list of blogs from people on these boards, because I'm sure I'm missing blogs I would really like.

I'm curious as to what everyone else thinks about paying for blogging platforms as well, especially since I doubt I would be able to make back the expense through sponsorship, etc. How easy is it to move *from* blogger? I'm not sure if I moved again that even Erin would move with me. But those stat spam sites do really bug me, too.      

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 1:54pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Angel wrote:
How easy is it to move *from* blogger?

It's extremely easy to move from blogger to Wordpress. Pretty much impossible to move from blogger to Typepad if you're considering going back in that direction, Angela.

Over the years, I've had many requests to advertise on my blog as well as requests from sponsors, and though I appreciate the kind requests, I've said, "no thank-you," to almost all of them. I just like being my own voice, and if I link to or advertise something, I want it to be on my terms - because we use it and like it.

-------------------------------------------

My daughter gave me a crash course in how to use picmonkey editing to make pretty custom looking things!    You should consider it if you're looking for a custom banner!

How are you all doing with your blogs?

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 2:07pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Mackfam wrote:

I'm doing better, Jen! I actually liked my recent post on procrastination because I liked pulling together recent articles on the topic and applying them to a real situation. It took awhile to write, but the process itself helped me to FINALLY get my business cards printed (the task I was procrastinating about ).

I also like posting music videos with Ian. We're having fun with it and a new friend, Vanessa, just posted a similar post so we're swapping family-friendly music.

I've also asked my family to actually read and comment on my blog. Until now, I didn't think it was worth their time. But it's getting better and I think it will help me to meet my goal of blending my IRL and online life.

And, after reading this topic, I'm thinking about how I can include more of "a slice of life" type post. Still thinking about that.

Oh, and I've been following and commenting on other WordPress blogs that I can see are friendly. I've decided that it is more important for me to follow generous people than it is to follow specific content. If I'm going to be happy blogging, I need to be engaged with others! Right now, and don't laugh, but the main ladies who comment with me are in the Fashion circle! They are super kind and goodness knows I can use all the help I can get .

I really appreciate the encouragement and ideas I've found here. Thanks so much!

Love,

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 29 2014 at 2:15pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Mackfam wrote:

Well I can see that you are doing SPLENDIDLY Jen!!!! If you haven't been to Jen's blog recently, go check it out at WordPress now! Wildflowers and Marbles

Love,

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version