Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: Low carb diet for weight loss Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mom21
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 2:15pm | IP Logged Quote Mom21

In 2013 I turned 50, started menopause and have gained about 10 pounds!!! I am considering a low carb diet to take off some weight. Has anyone had success with low carb? Any ideas or suggestions are most appreciated!!
Back to Top View Mom21's Profile Search for other posts by Mom21

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 2:35pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I have had friends do well on that. But they made permanant changes.

I'd be careful with anything that is extreme simply because if you stop doing it, the reaction from your body may set you back to worse than you started.

I've got high school kids that need to do some serious physical training to get ready for lacrosse season.. I'm not going to be doing what they are.. but I think I'll try and join them in doing something and see if that won't do what I need.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

TryingMyBest
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 2:43pm | IP Logged Quote TryingMyBest

What low carb diet are you considering? I remember back about 10 years ago everyone was doing the Atkins Diet but I don't hear much about that one anymore. Now everyone is talking about Paleo and Primal.

I've done primal but never paleo since I've never given up dairy. They work for weight loss but in my experience you still have to keep an eye on your calories. The real diet killers in a primal diet are nuts, IMHO, because they are high in calories and it's easy to eat way too many of them.

What I like about Paleo and Primal, as opposed to just "low carb" is that it's real food. Lots of vegetables. Quality meat (grass fed beef/pastured chickens, etc).

You might want to check out Whole 30 as a kind of detox. I'm considering doing it although I'm not sure I can follow through with it (no dairy and no wine).

Here is a list of my favorite paleo/primal blogs with great recipes:

Clothes Make the Girl (she wrote an awesome cookbook Well Fed

Nom Nom Paleo

Mark's Daily Apple (Mark Sisson wrote The Primal Blueprint which is where the "primal" diet comes from)

Paleo Parents

Good luck!
Jenn
Back to Top View TryingMyBest's Profile Search for other posts by TryingMyBest

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 6:09pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

I am very well familiar with the Atkins Diet- my dd was on a modified version of this for about 3 years for health reasons.

I am a fan- it is an amazing diet. If you read Dr. Atkins original book, you can see that low carb does not exclude fruits and veggies long term.

If you don't want to go full blown Atkins, a good start is just to increase healthy fats and decrease carbs. A real world/real mom way to do this is simply cut your carb portions in half. Do things like eat the yummy hamburger with cheese and lettuce and tomato, just skip the bun.
Or double up the turkey on your sandwich and use only one slice of bread.

What I really like about the Atkins diet is that you never have to feel hungry- you can always have a piece of cheese or some nuts or an apple to tide you over.

You can do the full blown Atkins/low carb diet, or you can do a modified version that works for you.

The Atkins diet has many health benefits and is being studied for treating Parkinson's Disease, Alzheimers, etc. It has been used to help treat diabetes. I like the fact that it's pretty easy- you can just eat meat, cheese, nuts, fruits, veggies and do well.

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 04 2014 at 7:43pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Melinda that's basically what I did in the hospital for controling blood sugar with my last pregnancy. The nurses and doc were very impressed at how well I controlled it. I did NOT follow the hospital diet.. I talked the doc into letting me make the choices rather than putting it in the computer. Luckily he also doesn't care for margarine over butter and other yucky stuff. I would get a meal and eat the sandwich open face (taking off just the top slice of bread) or I'd get the chicken alfredo and only eat half the noodles but all the chicken and veggies..

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 06 2014 at 9:37am | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

I am on day 4 of the Whole30. I am typing on my phone but will add more if anyone is interested when I get to my computer later today. I am doing it mostly as a detox or kick start for various reasons.

Back to Top View Erica Sanchez's Profile Search for other posts by Erica Sanchez

Wheatheartaca
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Jan 06 2014 at 1:30pm | IP Logged Quote Wheatheartaca

I am 43 and I restarted Atkins and I'm on my 3rd day. I'm already feeling so much beter. Carbs really mess me up. I lost a lot of weight three years ago on Atkins but I went back to my old ways & gained it back. But that is true with any "diet", it really and truly is a lifestyle change. I also bought a 1 mile walk dvd with Leslie Sansone and I'm actually moving. I made my 14 yr dd do it with me, lol. She kept saying "this is weird."...not weird for me since I lived through the spandex, leg warmers and big hair aerobics era.

You can always just cut down on carbs. Good luck to you. Oh..and the new Atkins book is a short and easy read.
Back to Top View Wheatheartaca's Profile Search for other posts by Wheatheartaca

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 5:32am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

I did something like the Whole 30 under the care of a naturopathic doctor just recently. I had been having heart problems, mostly due to stress. That combined with the weight I'm really frustrated with was all I needed to embrace the whole detox thing. I felt SO much better! But, my timing was terrible because I did it over the holidays. I only slipped up a few times for Thanksgiving (hello, pecan pie! )and my doc said to just keep going. But I ended it right around Christmas which included a trip to stay with family, so the transition did not go well. I think I need to restart it, but mustering the will power is more difficult this time!

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 8:22pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

Nothing but success for me with whole30. Me, my dh, a sister... I *think* I already wrote about here, but maybe that was somewhere else...

Anyways in 1 year:

50 pounds lost

Went from a size 18 to an 8 jeans. (Same brand, and store.)

I don't have pre-w30 bloodwork for me, but my dh lost some weight and his A1C came down 2 points. (It was pretty good to begin with tho tbh.) my sister went from type 2 diabetes getting ready to need insulin and heart medication to not needing any diabetic meds and read using all her blood pressure and other related medications.

I think clearer (Every brain cell recovered from having 10 kids is cherish at this point!), have more energy, and nearly all my aches and pains were greatly reduced or gone. A whole lotta little stuff that added up each day and I thought was just getting older seems to not be a problem any more for me.

I make NO promises for anyone else, and no I'm not getting compensation of any kind. I'm just saying, it has been great for myself and several others I know IRL. :)

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 08 2014 at 5:55am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

One nice thing is that most dark chocolate (60% cacao or more) is fairly low carb . A small amount is very satisfying, and it makes for a nice treat.

Egga are also good low carb fare. A hard boiled egg with a little salt is a very tasty snack.

Martha- that is great how well you have done- congratulations!

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

TryingMyBest
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 08 2014 at 7:33am | IP Logged Quote TryingMyBest

That's amazing, Martha.

It's all very intriguing. I'm scared to start Whole30 since I'm sure that I'll fail. I've done paleo off and on for about 2 years and I always end up getting so sick of the restrictions. For example, the last time I went paleo I got so sick of eggs that I literally couldn't even stand to look at them for about a month.

If you don't mind I've got a few questions. How did you handle the restrictions? Did you follow the rules for a whole year?

How much time do you spend preparing food? Did you cook different meals for yourself? Did your grocery bills skyrocket?

Jenn

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 08 2014 at 9:02am | IP Logged Quote SallyT

The grocery bills are my main concern. We followed a paleo diet for a while -- the Well Fed cookbook was my bible! and I still like it a lot -- but we couldn't keep our food costs within anything like a reasonable budget for us. Even not buying the kind of good, clean meat we all know we ought to be eating, it was still too expensive to maintain.

I also got really, really tired of preparing cauliflower to stand in for rice. I did the prep-cooking Melissa Joulwan recommends for a while, and it was helpful, but again, I couldn't maintain that routine for long, and once I didn't maintain it, the whole thing went to pieces. Breakfast and lunch were also hard to keep up with -- those are the meals I have a hard time with anyway. And with teenagers in the house, hoovering up whatever food is in the fridge . . . I was having to play Fridge Police all the time ("DO NOT EAT THE CONTAINER OF COOKED CHICKEN THIGHS. DO NOT CONSUME ALL HARD-BOILED EGGS.") I really like that Well-Fed cookbook, but I think it's kind of telling that there are no children in her house . . .

And I do cook one evening meal for everyone. Family dinner is sacrosanct, and I can't see making a separate meal for adults for that meal.

I found all this really difficult in a family of six. So I'm really interested to hear, too, Martha, how you did it. And impressed!

Sally

PS: I'll be 50 this year, went through menopause at 44, and hate the stubborn weight gain that has gone with it. I was always thin, and it's hard to adjust to this very different body. Part of me thinks I just need to try to live as healthily as possible and accept myself as I am . . . part of me thinks that is a stupid answer.

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 08 2014 at 9:13am | IP Logged Quote Betsy

SallyT wrote:
The grocery bills are my main concern. We followed a paleo diet for a while -- the Well Fed cookbook was my bible! and I still like it a lot -- but we couldn't keep our food costs within anything like a reasonable budget for us. Even not buying the kind of good, clean meat we all know we ought to be eating, it was still too expensive to maintain.

I also got really, really tired of preparing cauliflower to stand in for rice. I did the prep-cooking Melissa Joulwan recommends for a while, and it was helpful, but again, I couldn't maintain that routine for long, and once I didn't maintain it, the whole thing went to pieces. Breakfast and lunch were also hard to keep up with -- those are the meals I have a hard time with anyway. And with teenagers in the house, hoovering up whatever food is in the fridge . . . I was having to play Fridge Police all the time ("DO NOT EAT THE CONTAINER OF COOKED CHICKEN THIGHS. DO NOT CONSUME ALL HARD-BOILED EGGS.") I really like that Well-Fed cookbook, but I think it's kind of telling that there are no children in her house . . .

And I do cook one evening meal for everyone. Family dinner is sacrosanct, and I can't see making a separate meal for adults for that meal.

I found all this really difficult in a family of six. So I'm really interested to hear, too, Martha, how you did it. And impressed!

Sally

PS: I'll be 50 this year, went through menopause at 44, and hate the stubborn weight gain that has gone with it. I was always thin, and it's hard to adjust to this very different body. Part of me thinks I just need to try to live as healthily as possible and accept myself as I am . . . part of me thinks that is a stupid answer.

Sally, you make some wonderful, eloquent points here and I echo them 100%. It's hard to keep growing boys full on protein-nuts-fresh fruit! But, I wish we could eat like this and afford it!

I don't want to face the menopause weight gain issue, but I am at the very, very early stages of that and it's so frustrating and humbling.

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 08 2014 at 9:16am | IP Logged Quote Martha

TryingMyBest wrote:
If you don't mind I've got a few questions. How did you handle the restrictions? Did you follow the rules for a whole year?

It's whole 30, not whole365. Tho many find they feel so much better they continue with much of it afterwards. I strongly recommend the site and the book. It explains how to reintroduce foods and so forth.

You have to change your paradigm. It's not about what you can't have. It's about what you replace them with.

Quote:
How much time do you spend preparing food? Did you cook different meals for yourself? Did your grocery bills skyrocket?

Meal prep came out even, but I cooked mostly from scratch to begin with anyways. I did cook different breakfasts and lunches for me bc I tend to not eat those meals with the kids anyways. If I followed my natural inclination, I'd subsist on coffee until 3 and eat all my calories between 3 and 11pm. I have to consciously make myself eat an actual meal for breakfast and lunch. Dinner is always one sit down meal for everyone. There are times they have something quick and fun and I have something different, but not often. My grocery bill didn't skyrocket, but it did go up some. I viewed it as the rising costs of healthcare. If any of my children or dh needed diet restrictions, I wouldn't refuse based on cost. I'm worth having health too. (And the side effect is my dh and kids are eating healthier too!)

Some of it evens out. There's a lot less to buy and what we are buying does fill one up longer and takes less to feel full.

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 08 2014 at 9:44am | IP Logged Quote Martha

I want to emphasize a few things.

1. progress is progress.

My first w30 was less compliant than what I'm doing now. I still had bullet coffee back then bc everyone in my house knew I wasn't giving up coffee. When I started! I allowed myself two siggi yogurts a week bc on my uber busy shuttle service days! I was worried I wouldn't eat at all until 4pm if I couldn't have something quick. And quick was usually cheese or yogurt for me back then. Sadly, it became apparent by week 2 that those yogurts were killing me softly and I never noticed before.

We don't buy virgin fed beef hand fed golden grains plowed by angels. I do try to buy as chemical free as we can afford, which might be just whatever Walmart has on sale. That's okay. Prepare as compliant as you can. That will still make a great difference.

Start with what you already cook. Many meals can easily be made compliant without much fuss. There's lots of dishes served over rice or pasta that can just as easily be served over salad. I make the rice or pasta for the family and have mine over salad. No big deal at all. They want two way chili (over spaghetti noodles)? Fine. But I skip the noodles or have mine in a roasted delicata or acorn squash instead. It doesn't take any more time to do it. I'm already in the kitchen cooking the chili on the cooktop. It takes less than 5 minutes to cut a squash in half, brush it with olive oil and toss it in the oven.

#2 It's 30 days. Anyone can do just about anything for 30 days. Don't freak about whether you can stick with it for life or not. Just worry about 30 days.

#3. Also, it's not a low carb diet. In fact, roughly 50% of your plate should be carbs. The difference is they are high nutrient dense carbs and they are prepared healthily vs covered in stuff that isn't healthy.

My grocery bill went up some. But considering how much health it's saved me, I feel I came out ahead. My dh is thrilled. Apparently he sees more improvements than I do. (Beyond a skinnier wife.) at this point I'd say we are cheaper than before. I rarely make substitute foods. (Like desserts with coconut cream or whatever.) we keep coconut flour and arrowroot flour in stock, but one small package of each has lasted me longer than 6 months. Probably the most expensive things we added to our grocery list as staples are sweet potatos, avocados, coconut oil, ghee and cashew butter. I still have the same container of coconut oil and ghee I bought 4+ months ago. The other three are bought weekly. I can do without the cashew butter.

Hmmm. What else? Working on low brain power.   Having first cup of coffee...

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 08 2014 at 10:46am | IP Logged Quote SallyT

That's all really interesting and helpful, Martha, especially your point about its being only 30 days. I guess where I really stick at any kind of restricted diet (no grain, etc) is the thought of cooking and eating that way for the rest of my life if I want to hang onto whatever progress I've made in my 30 (or whatever) days. That, and sloth.

And I'm like you -- coffee will do me until mid-afternoon, when it hits me that I'm starving, and I'm still starving at midnight . . . none of that is good for the metabolism. I have to make myself eat decently, and work at reminding myself that it actually matters now. In my younger days, I could skip lunch and go for a walk and lose ten pounds. No longer. Now, if I eat I gain weight. If I don't eat, my metabolism discovers that it can actually take the elevator to an even lower floor.

I need to think about all this for February's budget. We're doing a major budget overhaul and reboot this month and, until payday, eating out of the pantry and freezer, which means that I sure am leaning on my stockpiles of whole-wheat flour and corn meal.

I did read your earlier post about your weight loss and am really inspired by your story. It's wonderful that you are feeling so much better on every level. Makes me want to heave a sigh and climb back on the wagon.

Sally

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 08 2014 at 11:42am | IP Logged Quote Martha

SallyT wrote:
That's all really interesting and helpful, Martha, especially your point about its being only 30 days. I guess where I really stick at any kind of restricted diet (no grain, etc) is the thought of cooking and eating that way for the rest of my life if I want to hang onto whatever progress I've made in my 30 (or whatever) days. That, and sloth.

For many people, doing W30 jump starts their system and then when they do the reintro, they are better able to see problem foods. Maybe it's a sugar dragon. Maybe it's dairy. Whatever. I thought giving up dairy would just about kill me bc I ate a LOT of cheese and yogurts and milk... I was really surprised at how badly it affected me to eat it and how much I didn't miss it. Same goes for pasta. But rice and soy sauce were my surprises. Geez. Those have been HARD to do without some times. I never would have guessed those prior.

Also, there is NO calorie counting on W30. No point counting. No gram counting. Nada. Just eat compliant. That was HUGE for me. If you are genuinely hungry (not just craving sweets) you can eat without stress or feeling like a failure. That's usually when I have apple slices and cashew butter. That's also my go to when I'm being slovenly. So I might not have the breakfast or lunch I should, but I ate that apple and cashew butter. I ate. And I didn't go off the wagon to do it.

Quote:
And I'm like you -- coffee will do me until mid-afternoon, when it hits me that I'm starving, and I'm still starving at midnight . . . none of that is good for the metabolism. I have to make myself eat decently, and work at reminding myself that it actually matters now. In my younger days, I could skip lunch and go for a walk and lose ten pounds. No longer. Now, if I eat I gain weight. If I don't eat, my metabolism discovers that it can actually take the elevator to an even lower floor.

I think young people just don't make the association between themselves and food. I didn't start gaining weight until the last 4 years. But I can see a difference in my kids when we've had a mostly compliant meals even for them. Dh has noticed it too. They sleep better. They have more energy (ha. Like they need it!) and they focus more. PMS is much easier. The acne is better. General attitude improvements. So they are like dh and I that they are like food vortex sticks, but that's not necessarily the only health indicator to consider.

Quote:
I need to think about all this for February's budget. We're doing a major budget overhaul and reboot this month and, until payday, eating out of the pantry and freezer, which means that I sure am leaning on my stockpiles of whole-wheat flour and corn meal.

I have a friend who is insisting her entire family do whole40 for lent. :)
On the plus side, you won't have any of that pantry stockpile left and you can make a purposeful effort to refill it with compliant foods. It doesn't have to be expensive. It's doesn't have to be exactly per the books. The goal is progress.

My suggestion is to be honest with yourself. If you KNOW coffee is going to be your downfall, then let yourself have a cup AFTER breakfast. Just set your guidelines up front. Write them somewhere. Get your dh to be supportive if at all possible. (Mine is VERY supportive. Especially after the first W30 when he saw great improvements.) and even if you want to lose weight, don't make it all about the scale. The real goal is to be healthier. Remember progress, even only a little bit, is good.

Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 09 2014 at 8:55pm | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

Echoing everything Martha is saying. I am only beginning the Whole 30 for the first time. Healthy eating is not foreign to me as I've read magazines and blogs for years. We had much of the healthy versions of things like coconut oil, a side of beef, and such here already.

This past year has been so difficult for us/me with Rose and Peter and everything else that I am looking at this 30 days as a restart for me. I have done 7 days without many problems. I felt a little nauseous at the beginning, but feel great today! I have trouble eating enough, although I am not hungry, so I am working on that. I can just tell that I need more calories. I didn't cook much last year because of all of the hospitalizations and stress and I missed that and missed preparing healthy, home-cooked meals for my family. I am the only one doing it. I do think that cost is a huge factor for a large family, so I am slowly just bringing us back to a better eating regimen and trying to cut unhealthy carbs and sugars from everyone's diets. One of my little boys eats way too many carbs and I think a few may have some other sensitivities. While I can't have everyone do all parts of the Whole 30, some of my kids are doing one or two parts like giving up sugar and dairy or just gluten (not all grains) for the 30 days.

I think the hardest part for me is that I have been in the kitchen A LOT!! I had a good meal preparation routine going before last year and we need to get back to that because I just can't be in the kitchen that much. :)

I don't think I have food issues, but it will be interesting to see what happens when I introduce dairy and grains back in. I hope nothing because I am missing those! What I will try to do is just limit those things post Whole 30.

We are not eating out at all during this month so I think the budget will be a wash. Did you find that to be true, Martha? But, it is just one person (me) doing it full guns, so I can't really imagine doing it for ten people. It is interesting that the Well-Fed gal doesn't have children. I think the Whole 30 couple just had their first.

I am shopping much more as you do need to eat a bunch of veggies. I am doing a green smoothie each day which has actually been delicious. Most of my kids even like these. I might try to do these two or three times each week for all of us when I am done.

As far as the Whole 30, I know that it only 30 days and that helps. I know that I can have a glass of wine on Jan. 31 and that makes me happy. A group of my local friends are doing it here and that makes it much, much easier. We encourage each other and share recipes. Some of the ladies are excellent cooks. I find myself grabbing the allowed food without creating the yummy recipes. I think doing that would help with boredom (eggs!) and spice things up a bit, literally. :)

Hope something of that helps someone.

Back to Top View Erica Sanchez's Profile Search for other posts by Erica Sanchez

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 09 2014 at 9:16pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

Erica Sanchez wrote:

We are not eating out at all during this month so I think the budget will be a wash. Did you find that to be true, Martha? But, it is just one person (me) doing it full guns, so I can't really imagine doing it for ten people. It is interesting that the Well-Fed gal doesn't have children. I think the Whole 30 couple just had their first.

We didn't eat out a lot by most people's standards to begin with bc we rarely eat fast food and nicer restaurants are not any cheaper. Dh still takes me on dates once or twice a month tho and I just order my food as compliant as possible. Steak restaurants are usually manageable.

I'm not surprised they don't have kids or many kids.   When's a mom of 10 going to find time to run a test kitchen and write a cookbooks, much less promote either of them? Not being at all snarky against working moms or sahms. It's just the reality for most, iykwim?

Btw, that well fed chocolate chili is fabulous. It's our family favorite. Every single person here loves it and that's sure a rare thing.

TryingMyBest
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 09 2014 at 9:42pm | IP Logged Quote TryingMyBest

Martha wrote:
[QUOTE=SallyT]
I have a friend who is insisting her entire family do whole40 for lent. :)

You've inspired me and I used some of my Amazon gift card to buy It Starts With Food.

But bringing up Lent reminds me of one my major issues with Paleo and all low carb diets. Historically the Lenten fast in both the East and West required abstinence from meat and dairy. I'm not sure when Roman Catholic fasting rules changed but in the East the tradition is still to abstain from all meat and dairy during Lent. And some western Catholics still keep a traditional fast during Lent. I knew a RC priest a few years ago who kept a pretty strict fast and abstained from meat during the Fast. He used to preach about the necessity of fasting during Lent. Shocked me since I'd never heard about fasting during my entire Catholic childhood. And by fasting he didn't mean giving up gluten or sugar. He meant keeping a traditional fast; no meat, no sweets, etc, although he did eat dairy but not eggs.

Lent is right around the corner. Meatfare Sunday is the end of February and Ash Wednesday is the beginning of March.

So how do you do paleo/primal while keeping a traditional lenten fast? Shrimp would be allowed but eating lots of shrimp isn't really in the spirit of the fast. Most lenten fasting goodies are out since they contain all kinds of frankenfoods (did you know Oreos are fasting?). Vegetables are okay obviously. You can cook them in coconut oil during the week and olive oil during the weekend. Some nut butters would be acceptable. But the most traditional sources of protein during the fast are beans and wheat, both of which are not allowed under paleo.

And the flip side of fasting is feasting which always meant eating things that were forbidden during the fast, really meaning meat, dairy and sweets.

So the dilemma for me is how to do Paleo with a traditional fast? And if paleo can't fit into a traditional home then how can it be good for us?

Sorry for the tangent.

Jenn

Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version