Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Encouraging and Supporting Dads/Husbands Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 06 2013 at 8:27am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

With Father's Day coming up on June 16 of this year, I thought that this Thursday's bump-a-favorite-old-thread could focus on some oldie-but-goodie threads here that share ways to encourage and support our husbands!!

We live in a culture and time in which we see families, and especially husbands/dads, attacked like never before. As wives/moms we can find ourselves so busy with the practical day-to-day jobs (our daily duties) that we forget to support and encourage this EXTREMELY important man in our lives. It's easy to get wrapped up in the details of the ordinary!

I'd love it if you'd share some ways you may support and encourage your husband? Share the simple things!

In this sharing with each other, we should use care when speaking of our husbands as a way of guarding the Sacramental relationship: keeping confidential that which might reflect poorly on our husband as well as guarding details and concerns that should remained sheltered between husband and wife.

The moderators and members of this board cherish the warm, encouraging and often very personal nature of this board, but we ask you to remember that this is still a public board. Keep that in mind as you post, especially when it comes to sharing details about your husband or marital relationship.

4Real Community Policy and Guidelines wrote:
Concerns which reflect questionably on our husbands, or reveal sheltered details of a marriage should not be brought to the 4Real board. Our goal is to protect the Sacrament of Marriage, not to deny the difficulty and suffering that members face within their marriage.

General discussions of how husbands and wives can respectfully face the challenges of home education together can be discussed in Philosophy of Education. Prayer requests should be discreet, primarily calling upon the aid of St. Joseph and other heavenly intercessors. Moderators will delete posts that speak disrespectfully or might cause embarrassment to husbands. The intimate details of marriage should be kept safe in our hearts and homes. When an issue treads into the sacred realm of marriage, we should be deferential to different marital styles, always assuming the best of our husbands. Prudential decisions are best left between spouses.

Do you have a favorite older thread here that really helped you in encouraging or showing support to your husband?

Maybe you remember a thread which gave you some practical ideas for challenges you faced with your husband?

Or a thread which gave you ideas for how to help dad live out his fatherhood amidst the fullness and challenges of our culture?

Go bump it today!

God bless all our husbands/dads!

St. Joseph, pray for them!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 06 2013 at 8:32am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I thought maybe it would be nice to keep a compilation of favorite dad threads here! So, in case someone wanted to *favorite* this thread they'd have several threads all indexed here!!

A couple of my favorites that I bumped:

Time with Dad

A Father's Pocket Guide to Homeschooling

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 14 2013 at 5:51am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

BUMP!

I (as well as others, it would seem) completely forgot about "Bump a Favorite Thread Thursday" yesterday!

So, I thought today I'd push up this thread and make it "Bump Another Favorite Thread About Fathers Friday."

Father's Day is coming up!

Here is one of my favorite Husband/Father Threads, Husband as Best Friend.

Jen also asks above, "I'd love it if you'd share some ways you may support and encourage your husband? Share the simple things! "

I try to bring him coffee, water, snacks, or even meals when he is working on home projects so that he doesn't have to stop. I *try* to do this even if he isn't doing my preferred project or when I'm a little envious that *I* have to stop and start *my* projects constantly if any of us is going to eat!

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 14 2013 at 5:54am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

For more inspiration, another terrific, older thread is Thoughtfulness in Marriage.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 14 2013 at 6:53am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

I recently read a reflection by another mom.

She said that for years she would grumble about her husband and wish he would help her more. The one day, as she was reading her bible, she read about Adam and Eve.

She was struck that God created Eve as a helpmate for Adam. It was Eve's given task to support and help her husband, not the other way around.

She said that really changed her view of life at home. It was *her* job to be the helper, not her husband's, and any help he did give she was able to be very thankful for.

I have been pondering that one... it really does change the way I am seeing things!

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 14 2013 at 9:13am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I can't get my head around that one Melinda. If I am my husband's helper.. then I don't have a job that he helps with. Sorta like the Queen of Hearts in Alice in Wonderland.. All the jobs are HIS jobs and I just help. So even when he does something I normally do.. he's not helping me.. he's just doing the job that I help with.

Not to say that I don't appreciate the things he does. I can still appreciate that he sees that I can't manage (at that moment for whatever reason) to do the jobs that normally are delegated to me or the kids.. but his doing that still does not make him my helper

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 14 2013 at 10:27am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Hmm...

I understood it to mean that I definitely do have my own work- work that helps support my husband in raising and providing for my family.

In that sense, I am his helper. God has given me my own work at home to help my husband.   Is it fair for me to be grumpy if he is not helping me around the house? Should I expect him to do some/most all of what is rightfully mine to do?

Conversely, does my husband ever expect me to show up at his office and help do his work? Is he ever grumpy because he's tired and doesn't feel good and thinks I should be helping him design the next fluid density column (or whatever )?

I think that because I don't often see the work my husband is doing to support my family I can fall into the trap of
a. thinking he has life much easier at times and
b. thinking I have a right to be angry if he isn't helping around the house as much as he should.

Neither a nor b is good- for me, anyway.

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 14 2013 at 10:57am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Another bump - A Father's Influence

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version