Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Saint books on Joan of Arc and Lucy Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 14 2013 at 3:47pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I like getting a nice book on the saints my children choose for their confirmation saints. So far I've had the hard to find anything search for St. Lucy Fillippini (finally successful) and then the narrowing down the books for St. George. I think I'll have another narrowing down books for St. Joan of Arc but I don't know about St. Lucy of Syracuse.

Anyone have suggestions for books on St. Joan of Arc or St. Lucy of Syracuse???

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 14 2013 at 4:36pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

An older book for St. Lucia is a bit hard, because so much of her life has been passed on through legend.

What age is the confirmandee?

A few ideas for Joan of Arc, with lower levels first:

Elementary Reading Level and up. I think all these books would work for even up to teens without being insulting.

Saint Joan of Arc: Quest for Peace Graphic Novel from Pauline Books -- these are really fabulous.

Saint Joan: The Girl Soldier Vision Book by Louis De Wohl (excellent author)

I'm really fond of the older Encounter series by the Daughters of St. Paul. Hardback, excellent living biographies. This one, Wind and Shadows - The Story of Joan of Arc made a really huge impression on me. I reread it quite a few times.

The newer Encounter The Saints series by Pauline Books has Saint Joan of Arc: God's Soldier which is available at Pauline.org. It's a simpler reading level generally for their newer series, and I'm not as fond of the images.

Older Teen / Adult Reading:

I'm drawing a blank on a book I've read on St. Joan. One I did enjoy was by Mark Twain; Ignatius had printed a version a few decades ago. The book is written from a secular viewpoint -- a non-religious, non-Catholic man writes about her life. So it's devoid of some of the religious aspects you would expect, but what impressed me was how Mark Twain was impressed and convinced of her innocence and holiness.

I like to buy and read anything by Regine Pernoud. These are translated from the French into English. It looks like she has 3 books on St. Joan of Arc, only one printed by Ignatius Press:

Joan of Arc: Her Story

Joan of Arc: By Herself and Her Witnesses

The Retrial of Joan of Arc: The Evidence for her Vindication by Regine Pernoud

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 14 2013 at 5:45pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

St. Lucy is 11.5 yrs reading at or above level

St. Joan is just turning 13 behind in her reading level but finally getting it and catching up (and the crowd roars).. the graphic novel might be perfect for her for now and something to grow into since she'll do that pretty fast.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 14 2013 at 5:46pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I've seen the one by Mark Twain (also drawing a blank on the name) and wondered about it. Glad to hear it's good.. oooooo.. I bet I could find it on librivox

-Sir Walter Scott

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 15 2013 at 4:54am | IP Logged Quote Erin

JennGM wrote:
Saint Joan of Arc: Quest for Peace Graphic Novel from Magnificat Press -- these are really fabulous.

I'm intrigued, I'm not normally a graphic novel fan.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 15 2013 at 6:58am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Maybe I'm using the term incorrectly? It's the life of St. Joan in comic book style. The pictures are beautiful, and it's written well. There's one on St. Bernadette, as well.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 15 2013 at 7:24am | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Graphic biography?

I'd say "graphic novel" was correct, but it's a bio, so...

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: March 15 2013 at 7:29am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

JennGM wrote:
I'm drawing a blank on a book I've read on St. Joan. One I did enjoy was by Mark Twain; Ignatius had printed a version a few decades ago. The book is written from a secular viewpoint -- a non-religious, non-Catholic man writes about her life. So it's devoid of some of the religious aspects you would expect, but what impressed me was how Mark Twain was impressed and convinced of her innocence and holiness.

Mark Twain's book on Joan of Arc is quite wonderful, and his own respect for and awareness of her personal holiness does come through in his writing, as Jenn summarized. It is really an excellent book, and works well for any high school student. Mine read it a couple of years ago and it still ranks as one of her favorite books. Here is the version we have (copyright 1989) by Ignatius. Used, it is quite inexpensive.

Erin wrote:
JennGM wrote:
Saint Joan of Arc: Quest for Peace Graphic Novel from Magnificat Press -- these are really fabulous.

I'm intrigued, I'm not normally a graphic novel fan.

I am a graphic novel fan when they're done well...and I didn't know about these! Thank you for linking to them, Jenn!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: March 15 2013 at 7:31am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

JennGM wrote:
Maybe I'm using the term incorrectly? It's the life of St. Joan in comic book style. The pictures are beautiful, and it's written well. There's one on St. Bernadette, as well.

My understanding is that "graphic novel" is the technical literary term for a comic book and covers a very broad genre - from fiction to non. So, I think you're using it correctly.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 15 2013 at 7:34am | IP Logged Quote Betsy

JodieLyn wrote:
I've seen the one by Mark Twain (also drawing a blank on the name) and wondered about it. Glad to hear it's good.. oooooo.. I bet I could find it on librivox

I have listened to Personal Recollections of Joan of Arc by Mark Twain on librivox and it's AWESOME!

It's not written from a religious point of view, but someway I think that makes it all the more moving, GWIM?

Also, the trial was well researched and documented so it follows what truly happen very well.

I am not sure it's for a child to read, per say, but there isn't too much objectionable in it outside of the true story of her life.

Oh, and for what it's worth, I loved listening to it because the reader was fabulous with all of the French pronunciations. I would have butchered reading the book!

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 15 2013 at 7:43am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I'm so glad to know of these other graphic novels! We have Karl I, Emperor of Peace, and it is SO well done, we love it! It was a gift, and I have no idea why it never occured to me to look and see whether they had other titles! I didn't realize it was a series.

These would make such nice Easter basket gifts

ETA: Karl I would be an ideal addition to a WWI study.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 15 2013 at 7:44am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I mistyped, and have corrected above. The Graphic Novels are printed by Pauline Books, the Daughters of St. Paul. This is the Bernadette one and Joan of Arc.

These are not done by the American DSP, but originally done in French and translated into English. I really prefer the French Pauline Press to the American, right now. Another example would be the "Along the Paths of the Gospel" series. Very well done, and better than the Encounter the Saints series. The latter is just watered down.

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 15 2013 at 7:48am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

JennGM wrote:
I mistyped, and have corrected above. The Graphic Novels are printed by Pauline Books, the Daughters of St. Paul. This is the Bernadette one and Joan of Arc.

These are not done by the American DSP, but originally done in French and translated into English. I really prefer the French Pauline Press to the American, right now. Another example would be the "Along the Paths of the Gospel" series. Very well done, and better than the Encounter the Saints series. The latter is just watered down.

Fascinating. I also never noticed ours was a French translation, lol. It makes sense, though, since it is very much in the tradition of TinTin and other French comics. Not that it's silly, just that it is well done!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 15 2013 at 7:51am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

CrunchyMom wrote:
I'm so glad to know of these other graphic novels! We have Karl I, Emperor of Peace, and it is SO well done, we love it! It was a gift, and I have no idea why it never occured to me to look and see whether they had other titles! I didn't realize it was a series.

Crossposting! Magnificat titles are another example of the originals in French. Very well done. The saint biographies of Therese, John Vianney, Bernadette and St. Francis are beautiful and fit the niche of individual saint biographies for the newer reader.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 15 2013 at 7:59am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Jodie, I keep thinking about your Lucy reader. I think you'll have to come up with an alternative, because there really aren't any biographies of St. Lucia except that children's books

Lucia, Saint of Light by Katherine Bolger Hyde

and then you get into the Swedish traditions of St. Lucia's Day, which wander a bit from the focus on the saint. But this is a short chapter book

Lucia, Child of Light: The History And Traditions of Sweden's Lucia Celebration

I was thinking of either a collection of saints lives, women's saints, or some other female saints (like maybe that Bernadette graphic novel) to inspire her.

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 15 2013 at 8:05am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

JennGM wrote:
CrunchyMom wrote:

Crossposting! Magnificat titles are another example of the originals in French. Very well done. The saint biographies of Therese, John Vianney, Bernadette and St. Francis are beautiful and fit the niche of individual saint biographies for the newer reader.

Those look good. The book on Blessed Karl is more advanced, and I see they have it listed for 9 and up instead of 5-8 like the other titles in their listings. Have you seen the other comic book series there, Loupio? Any thoughts?

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 15 2013 at 11:11am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Thank you Jenn, I've found a collection of Saints called Lucy's Eyes and Margaret's Dragon The reviews are good but after reading them I'm going to want to preview the book. But I like that for this particular use Lucy is mentioned in the title but it includes other vigin martyrs.

There's a used book that isn't available as far as I can find but is mentioned on amazon called "Splendor of Syracuse: Life of St. Lucy" by Florence Wedge but I checked online and can't find it anywhere.

-Sir Walter Scott

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 15 2013 at 11:16am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Oh and there's this interesting looking series by Wyatt North Publishing The Life and Prayers of Saint Lucy but it's only on Kindle and there's a whole series of different saints. I may check them out and see if it would be useful.. I might be able to add them to the shopping list since they're only $3 each.

-Sir Walter Scott

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 15 2013 at 12:53pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I saw the Wyatt North publications, but dismissed them because they are ebooks. I wasn't sure.

You might enjoy browsing the Basilica of Santa Lucia in Syracuse which also has her sepulchre. The painting by Caravaggio which is there is very famous.

There are gorgeous sacred art painting of St. Lucia, you can find many of them on Web Gallery of Art. This site is just full of holy card images of St. Lucy.

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 15 2013 at 1:51pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Yeah, I want to give the girls actual books but the ebook in addition to those.. maybe..

-Sir Walter Scott

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version