Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Conclave/Choosing Successor to Pope Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
jawgee
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 12 2013 at 7:40am | IP Logged Quote jawgee

Anyone know of any books or resources that would be good to help teach young children about the process of the conclave? Also, my 11YO is very interested. I wonder if there are any chapter books that might be a suitable read-aloud or good for him to read alone.

C (12/2001), N (11/2005), M (5/2008), J (8/2009) and three angels
The Catholic Cup on Facebook
Back to Top View jawgee's Profile Search for other posts by jawgee

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 12 2013 at 7:53am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Chris Capolino put together the first list of resources I have seen on her blog.

I haven't looked through them all, but there looks to be some good ideas and information linked.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 12 2013 at 8:23am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

This is the one I have seen - We Have a Pope (New Springtime Press). The author sent us a copy a few years ago to have as a door prize for our conference. I can't remember details but recall that is was a good resource.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

MelissaClaire
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 12 2013 at 11:16am | IP Logged Quote MelissaClaire

Just a note--I've seen the biography on the Pope from Pflaum floating around several Catholic mom blogs. One the bottom right corner of the first page it talks about the groups that Hitler targeted and it says "h*m*s*x*als". Glad I caught it and blacked it out before my kids saw it.

Back to Top View MelissaClaire's Profile Search for other posts by MelissaClaire

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 18 2013 at 3:16pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Jennifer at Catholic Inspired just posted some printable resources and also this really cute craft - Learning About the election of a New Pope

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 20 2013 at 6:42am | IP Logged Quote Erin

MaryM wrote:
This is the one I have seen - We Have a Pope (New Springtime Press). The author sent us a copy a few years ago to have as a door prize for our conference. I can't remember details but recall that is was a good resource.

Well I'd love to get this one but it is out of stock
I've bought a couple of other ones though, not the process more on the pope, or fun fiction. (Do you want those titles here?)

However Willa has rode to the rescue and gathered many links!!!! they look promising

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Feb 20 2013 at 7:08am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I have a couple of resources we're using (although they're specific to US Cardinals, Erin...so they'd need a little modification for you):

Catholic Treasure Chest of Fun & Fact - The Church At Work: The Cardinals - gives a good explanation of the work of a Cardinal. We printed this and hung it up so we could see it daily.

Of course, the listing of US Cardinals at the bottom is well out of date, so I compiled a current list of US cardinals from sources like the USCCB, and we were surprised to find out that a retired Cardinal could still vote in a Papal election as long as he's under the age of 80. We hung this directly under our print-out of The Cardinals.

2013-02-20_070716_US_Cardinals_-_2_13.pdf

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Feb 20 2013 at 7:34am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

youtube video - How Do They Choose a Pope?

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Feb 20 2013 at 7:41am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

This would be good for adults/older children:

From the USCCB, a pdf printable: How a New Pope is Chosen

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 20 2013 at 3:48pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Just found this website - brand new just developed to answer questions related to the papal election. There are some great resources there it looks like. Haven't yet gone through every section. I'm assuming they will be continuing to add to the site as well.

Electing the Pope (How the papal conclave works, and other questions about the papacy)

The website also includes a link to an Vatican Insider interactive - How the Pope is Elected

Our Domestic Church

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 21 2013 at 1:44am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

In an old thread from the last conclave in 2005, there was a link to a science experiment about the different colored smoke. Unfortunately that link is now dead and that seems to be the only place it was. So I did some digging around trying to find another experiment with hands on science about the papal smoke. I did find this one from the Happy Scientist : Black and White Smoke

I'm going to continue looking to see what else I can find with science experiments. The website I mentioned in the previous post (Electing the Pope) has a really good explanation of the smoke.

Another good study guide on the papacy is an older workbook from Catholic Answers - The Papacy (Learning Series). It isn't in publication any more but there are used copies on Amazon. It is a workbook so there are readings, vocabulary, quotes from the Church Fathers, CCC references, and review questions. Lesson 8 is on the selection of popes. We have done it with junior high and older students.

Our Domestic Church

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 21 2013 at 8:23am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

The books we've rounded up at home also include biographies of other Popes who are saints or blessed. I have several of the Daughters of St. Paul Encounter series, and 4 Vision books. I like to have my son reading saints' lives (now chapter books), especially during Lent.

St. Peter
St. Gregory the Great
St. Pius V
St. Pius X
Pius XII
Blessed John XXIII

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 21 2013 at 7:47pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Thanks for all the links! I love the smokestack! Off to go read!

The boys and I are making a lapbook for Pope BXVI. I blogged as we went along (we're almost done), but this post has all the links and pdf files that you can print in it.

I'd like to do the same for the election of the new pope, but I may run out of steam. Someone posted that Catholic Artworks has some specials on the Conclave.

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 25 2013 at 8:30am | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Jessica at Shower of Roses made a beautiful lapbook on the election of the Pope. It's lovely!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 25 2013 at 8:38am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Love the lapbooks! Maryan, yours is so pretty.

I've never done a lapbook before. Not sure if this is the time to try.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 25 2013 at 8:53am | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Thanks Jenn. You should try one! Maybe start with Jessica's since the conclave isn't starting for a while and you won't feel under the gun. I'm still looking at her stuff -- She has a sheet outlining days (she states five, but it will take longer than that since you are doing copywork and researching answers -- although, if you took time off from other subjects than you could do it in the five days!)

Do her pop up of St. Peter's and the Pope's novena first and if your boys like it... keep going!

I'm going to use some of her downloads, but I think I'm going to assemble it differently, and have the boys make some pictures of their own... and somehow add that smokestack!! I love it!

pmeilaen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 25 2013 at 9:04pm | IP Logged Quote pmeilaen

Sorry, I just noticed that Mary had already linked to this!

Here is an interactive website that shows you how a new pope is elected. It's quite well done.

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 25 2013 at 10:02pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

This is for older kids but LifeTeen put out a FREE "life night" (basically a plan for a catechetical class) on the Pope and choosing a sucessor. White Smoke

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 26 2013 at 12:34am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Maryan wrote:
Jessica at Shower of Roses made a beautiful lapbook on the election of the Pope. It's lovely!

This looks so incredible!! Between Jessica's plans and Willa's links (above) we're set

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

St. Ann
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 26 2013 at 5:09am | IP Logged Quote St. Ann

So many great resources! You ladies are amazing!

I checked out the Papabile section of the Vatican Insider link. I found it interesting that cardinal Kurt Koch was put in the Anti-Ratzinger group. Strange it is.
Pope Benedict raised him to Cardinal...

Wife and mother to Hannah '96, Maria '99, Dorothea '01, Helena '03
Back to Top View St. Ann's Profile Search for other posts by St. Ann Visit St. Ann's Homepage

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version