Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Bamboo knitting needles (& knitting info) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 24 2013 at 8:05pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Jenn Sal wrote:
Well, my dd begged me to take her to a yarn store today. It was a really good experience!    We arrived right when it opened and the owner was eager to help. It was almost like a field trip! My dd was asking many questions about different yarns; feeling them and comparing them. Then we watched her use some machine ( my dd is not here to ask what it was called ) take the skein (sp?) and make it into a ball. My ds was looking for paper to make a sketch of it, since he want's to be an inventor.

Anyway, I'm grateful that this has been a good experience for all of us, so far.

Thanks again, ladies for all of your help!

Sounds like loads of fun! I'm so glad you go the field trip.

Sounds like you saw a ball winder and umbrella swift in action. There are electric ones, too!

My boys absolutely love to use these.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 24 2013 at 8:08pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

stefoodie wrote:
Wow. I haven't knitted with bamboo in years (because I haven't knitted in years )

Thanks for the great suggestions! I'm not even familiar with Hiya-hiya. or the other things mentioned here. I just remember my bamboo needles were from Japan.

I've heard good things about Chiaogoo, too.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

4 lads mom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 24 2013 at 8:25pm | IP Logged Quote 4 lads mom

Betsy wrote:
4 lads mom wrote:
Does anyone have The Principles of Knitting? You might have already mentioned it and I didn’t see it. I am thinking of getting this one, I have heard it is one of the best for techniques and such....thoughts?

I have it!

I read a ton from the original before they got rid of it at the library!    I think I max my check out time for having it. I loved that book. That was when I was really new to knitting.

I pre-ordered this book when I saw it was being republished. I have only read bits and pieces of the new version. I like it. It's a huge book. However, I haven't really read enough to give it much of a review, per say.

So, I think it's a good book to have especially if you are a new knitter--but it might be more of a reference book if you are experienced (which I know you are 4LadsMom)

Does that help???????

Yes, dear Betsy!! Of course, you have it! I ordered it from our library system to have a look-see before I buy, but I am thinking it would be a great reference. Knitpicks has it 40% off. I was sewing a LOT during pre-Christmas season.....so happy to be back to my favorite friend, Knitting. I am going to knit a lot more Christmas gifts next year....starting NOW..and probably not sew quite as much. I LOVE what I can make sewing, but I LOVE everything about knitting...except tangled yarn....
Thanks for your input!

Jenn Sal
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 8:33am | IP Logged Quote Jenn Sal

JennGM wrote:
Jenn Sal wrote:
Well, my dd begged me to take her to a yarn store today. It was a really good experience!    We arrived right when it opened and the owner was eager to help. It was almost like a field trip! My dd was asking many questions about different yarns; feeling them and comparing them. Then we watched her use some machine ( my dd is not here to ask what it was called ) take the skein (sp?) and make it into a ball. My ds was looking for paper to make a sketch of it, since he want's to be an inventor.

Anyway, I'm grateful that this has been a good experience for all of us, so far.

Thanks again, ladies for all of your help!

Sounds like loads of fun! I'm so glad you go the field trip.

Sounds like you saw a ball winder and umbrella swift in action. There are electric ones, too!

My boys absolutely love to use these.

Yes, Jenn! It was quite impressive.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 8:39am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

When I got back into knitting more seriously about 5 years ago, I requested those for Christmas. No regrets! I have spent too many times with tangled skeins to know they are worth their weight in gold!

Just recently I had a hank and decided I could do it by hand, and I lost a whole day untangling the mess. Shame on me!

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 9:01am | IP Logged Quote Betsy

This is the Ball Winder that I have. I know Nancy personally as she is local to me and heads up our spinning group. I was lucky to get one second hand for a great price .

All of my children LOVE to watch me use it....but I have to fight them off with pointy sticks!

All of Nancy's products are top of the line and really well made, I can't recommend enough her Needle Gauge/Ruler. It's the best!   You can even get it at Knit Picks!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 9:06am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Betsy wrote:
This is the Ball Winder that I have. I know Nancy personally as she is local to me and heads up our spinning group. I was lucky to get one second hand for a great price .

SWOON!!! Love that it's wood!

Betsy wrote:
All of my children LOVE to watch me use it....but I have to fight them off with pointy sticks!

All of Nancy's products are top of the line and really well made, I can't recommend enough her Needle Gauge/Ruler. It's the best!   You can even get it at Knit Picks!

Thanks for the recs!

Tami
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 10:44am | IP Logged Quote Tami

Oh, my. One day away from the computer and look how much I've missed!

One book I picked up at my LYS (love it, Jenn!) is 365 Knitting Stitches a Year It's a perpetual calendar and I love looking at the patterns, and the full color!

Our library has Principles of Knitting and I'm going to check it out.

Betsty, I've been reading up on the Harmony Wood needles, and I'm wondering if you've had any difficulty using them with dark yarn and being able to see your stitches? That was in a review I read somewhere. Dh is encouraging me to get the kit (at least until he heard that review ) for the economy of it (something like 18 combinations with the needles + cables?) and to have good tools. He working on making straight needles for me himself.

But I'm thinking about getting the Try It Needle Set Unfortunately the Harmony needle is a size 7, and I'm such a tight knitter (that's another whole discussion) I don't know if I could adequately test it out or not.

Oh, and I spoke with the Knit Picks people yesterday, and the Harmonys now have their size marked on them, as of now! That was good news to hear.       

Ok, funny story. I knew that yarn came in skeins, usually, unless it was the figure-8 wrap, which is called a hank. When I purchased my first yarn at LYS, it was a hank. Only I kept mixing the two words and calling it a skank. I'm still having trouble dropping it from my vocabulary when I talk about knitting. Good grief.

Back to Top View Tami's Profile Search for other posts by Tami

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 11:28am | IP Logged Quote Betsy

Tami wrote:

Betsty, I've been reading up on the Harmony Wood needles, and I'm wondering if you've had any difficulty using them with dark yarn and being able to see your stitches? That was in a review I read somewhere. Dh is encouraging me to get the kit (at least until he heard that review ) for the economy of it (something like 18 combinations with the needles + cables?)

I can see how that might be a problem. In general dark yarn is harder to knit with, though. So, it's hard to say if it's all of the needles fault. Of coarse you could get the Sunstruck Needles if you anticipate that being an issue. These are newer and look really great. I believe they are the same as the Harmony, just more neutral in color.

Tami wrote:
. He working on making straight needles for me himself.

Tami wrote:
But I'm thinking about getting the Try It Needle Set Unfortunately the Harmony needle is a size 7, and I'm such a tight knitter (that's another whole discussion) I don't know if I could adequately test it out or not.
I didn't even know they had this option! IMO, and it's only my opinion. I would only get this grouping if you have no experience with knitting needles of other materials. For instance, if you have used metal needles before you will know if you like how slippery they are, etc. If you are a really tight knitter you may really like the metal needles to help your stitches slid a bit easier. Otherwise you are just looking for the pointedness of the tip and cord. If you can't decided I would order the size that you would use a lot of and try the medal and the harmony/sunstruck. But, that is my opinion....and it may not be right.    So much personally preference goes into what one likes in a needle!

Oh, and most new knitters struggle, at least some, with tension. From my experience most kids have really, really loose tension and adults have really tight tension.   After my first year of knitting I made a point to work on loosening my tension.....and now I knit much looser, so you can do it!

Tami wrote:
Oh, and I spoke with the Knit Picks people yesterday, and the Harmonys now have their size marked on them, as of now! That was good news to hear.       

Awesome! BTW, KP's customer service is really great!

Tami wrote:
Ok, funny story. I knew that yarn came in skeins, usually, unless it was the figure-8 wrap, which is called a hank. When I purchased my first yarn at LYS, it was a hank. Only I kept mixing the two words and calling it a skank. I'm still having trouble dropping it from my vocabulary when I talk about knitting. Good grief.

That is really funny! I called it a skein with a LONG I sound for a long time. My maiden name is German and the ei is pronounced as an long I. It was years before I said it right on the first try.

3ringcircus
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 4:36pm | IP Logged Quote 3ringcircus

A skank--I love it!

My boys are obsessed with the swift & winder. The middle one is very mechanically minded, so he does some very good winding for me

I'm in the market for a wood interchangeable set. I have all the nickel from KP and it has been fine, but I'm slowly moving toward more lacey projects, and it's just too slippery to be fun. Not sure if I'm going to go w/ another KP set, or a set from WEBS. Their Dreamz line seems nice, and I like that they are local to my parents' area (even though I live across the country!). There's talk that their sets join w/ the KP sets.

Back to Top View 3ringcircus's Profile Search for other posts by 3ringcircus

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 4:41pm | IP Logged Quote Betsy

Christine,
I think the Dreamz are very similar to the Harmony. I have heard good review of these needles. Go for it!

3ringcircus
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 9:29pm | IP Logged Quote 3ringcircus

Betsy, I just have to do some creative budgeting in the next few months, and they'll be mine .

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 26 2013 at 7:40pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Tami, I just loved your story! I'll be thinking skank for a long time!

I was just reading Elizabeth Zimmermann -- and she said if you knit tightly -- stop it! Easier said than done, right?

Christine, I'm doing more lacey projects, too. For Christmas I got the KP interchangeable nickle. I like the points, which are better than the Addi Turbo, but I want to try other needles for lace. I think for now I'm going to try different individual lace circs before I save up for the big purchase.

Tami
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 29 2013 at 1:49pm | IP Logged Quote Tami

Thanks, Jenn. It's a good one, eh?   

Ok, slightly different take. As I mentioned, I am knitting dishcloths. It has been a help to my skills and patience, and I'm learning a lot from it.

Two weeks ago I purchased numerous Peaches & Creme skeins at Walmart. They are 100% worsted cotton, solids and stripes. I made a few last week out of both.

I started 2 new ones (a stripe and solid) on Sunday and wow oh wow what a difference. The solid is so soft it is like knitting butter. Honestly that is the only way to describe it. The other is sooo stiff that when you remove the needle to rip out a row, the loops stand completely open and straight up.

I don't think I could knit tightly with the soft one even if I tried, it just relaxes so much. The stripe has forced me to knit more slowly, which is good because I'm paying more attention to each stitch.

I can only think that maybe the dyes are responsible for this huge difference?? They are both quite unlike the ones I used last week. Has anyone experienced this with yarn? I"m trying to reach customer service just to ask about it (I'm not complaining just surprised) but haven't had any luck so far.

Oh, and I ordered the Harmony Wood needles yesterday. I have 30 days to try them out, so I took the plunge. I'm quite excited. Now I'm trying to find some simple stuffed animals patterns for Easter. There is a family with young children at church and I would like to give them something for Easter. So far, the patterns I've found call for DPNs. I'm not sure I'm skilled enough to go there, yet.

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 29 2013 at 2:35pm | IP Logged Quote Betsy

Tami,

It's not totally uncommon for the same base yarn to act differently depending on the color. That is why it is always recommended that you swatch each yarn you use, even if it's same yarn just a different color. (however, in reality, most people probably don't do this...and I would rarely, if ever swatch for a dishcloth )

FWIW, I love knitting dishcloths. It's VERY addictive!

3ringcircus
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 29 2013 at 5:35pm | IP Logged Quote 3ringcircus

Jennifer, I hope you like the KP nickel set as much as I have. It's such a go-to set. I love knowing I have almost everything I'll need for any project. Even if I do some projects that would be better on wood, I can see myself continuing to use the nickel for wool & other coarse yarns. Hope you find a lace option that you like.

Tami, GL w/ the Harmonies! I bet you'll love them.

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 29 2013 at 8:53pm | IP Logged Quote Betsy

BTW, Christine. I think that a set of needles would look lovely in your Easter Basket!

Tami
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 30 2013 at 12:12pm | IP Logged Quote Tami

Thanks, Betsy. I must have just grabbed the 2 extremes with these yarns.

And yes, the dishcloths are addictive. I'm finding them good practice for learning how to follow a pattern, different stitches, etc. I am hopeful that I will one day be able to make a sweater.

Christine - yes, those needles would look lovely in your basket!!

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 30 2013 at 12:49pm | IP Logged Quote Betsy

Tami,
I always say to people that everything I learned in knitting, I learned knitting dishcloths!

When I was learning how to knit I knit TONS and TONs of dishcloths. They are so cheap, portable and practical.

So, when I started knitting my first shawl.....I kept saying, oh that is like such and such dishcloth. Or, short rows, that is like such and such dish cloths. Yes, I picked up stitches in that dishcloth. etc,,,,

So, needless to say...I am a big fan of dish cloths!

3ringcircus
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 30 2013 at 3:47pm | IP Logged Quote 3ringcircus

I made a little washcloth, does that count?

I got passionate because my middle guy was wearing cloth diapers and the beautiful wool pants you can put over them are super pricey. Once I learned a few stitches (on that washcloth), I fought through my first pattern and made some shorties for about 1/4 the price you'd pay to buy them machine-made.

Interesting that the same yarn would be different in different colors. I don't have enough experience to know that kind of thing. I do swatch on garments that are sized JIC. Definitely nice to have a project where you don't have to, though.

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version