Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Bamboo knitting needles (& knitting info) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 23 2013 at 11:52am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Tami wrote:
Resources are slim here - so I'm left to online or the local shop which is limited and $$ pricey$$. But the women there are very helpful.

That's the part that's best about a LYS. Knitters want to talk about knitting!!!!

Tami wrote:
I was able to pick up some Peaches and Creme cotton last week, 3 hours away while we were traveling. And I scored a copy of Elizabeth Zimmerman's Knitting Without Tears (1971 copyright) at a thrift store for $2.00.

That is great! I don't have that one yet. Borrowing from my library right now.

BTW, Hobby Lobby has an online store, and you can buy yarn online. I think the others the same?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Jenn Sal
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 23 2013 at 1:50pm | IP Logged Quote Jenn Sal

Wow! Ok, ladies...my dd and I just read all of your posts.    I can't possibly comment on each helpful suggestion, because there are so many!    I did open a can of worms, but that's great!

I should have her knitting book by Friday and she is purchasing her needles, today. We will be visiting a yarn store this weekend so she can touch and feel. She has learned most of what she knows on YouTube. There're some teen ones that she's liked. She also took a class recently.

You are all so helpful! She will be teaching me soon enough. For now, I'm just tagging along for the ride.

Tami
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 23 2013 at 4:33pm | IP Logged Quote Tami

Betsy - Thanks for the encouragement, especially about the dishcloths. I've ventured into my first 'pattern' - more than just the knit stitch, and I've ripped it out so many times because I can't keep track of the stitches. Oh my I hope this gets better.    

I just spent an hour+ at a friend's house getting help, but she leaves Friday for a 6 week trip. I told her she can't go for that long, I need her help too much.

I know I should explore more with needles before making a big purchase like that kit…. I guess I can just keep knitting dishcloths with different ones.

Jenn - I have looked at some online yarns, and now that I've seen some in person it makes it easier to choose, at least for cottons I"m using. I'm not sure how to choose for something else, though, if you can't feel it? Maybe patterns direct you to the type yarn that works best for that particular article?

Back to Top View Tami's Profile Search for other posts by Tami

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 23 2013 at 4:41pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Don't be discouraged on the dishcloths! And if you feel like you need a break with some other type of project to feel productive, how about a scarf?

Tami wrote:
Jenn - I have looked at some online yarns, and now that I've seen some in person it makes it easier to choose, at least for cottons I'm using. I'm not sure how to choose for something else, though, if you can't feel it? Maybe patterns direct you to the type yarn that works best for that particular article?

I generally don't buy yarns online until I feel it for myself. I now have tried Hobby Lobby's I Love this Cotton which is perfect for dishcloths, so I would buy online now.

Another case in point is I just asked my local yarn shop if they carry Cascade Yarns Ultra Pima Fine which is fingering weight, and what I want to use for my mother's lace shawl I'll knit for her. They don't carry the fine, so I'll need to buy online. I've also felt Euroflax, and if she doesn't have the color I want I'll buy online, too.

Each pattern should give you a suggested gauge and a suggested weight of yarn. You can wander outside of the suggestions by perhaps trying a different worsted weight in a different brand, etc. I wouldn't change the type of yarn until you've been knitting a while. But it can be done.

And always test the gauge. Rule number one in knitting. Elizabeth Zimmermann touches on that. If the pattern says 16 stitches to 4 inches, make sure you knit up in stockinette more than 4 inches, more like 6 inches and then measure inside 4 inches square to see how many stitches per inch.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 23 2013 at 4:43pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Is anyone else surprised that Bamboo knitting needles even exists never mind that you have chatted for 2 pages about them .

The things I learn here

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 23 2013 at 4:45pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Angie Mc wrote:
Is anyone else surprised that Bamboo knitting needles even exists never mind that you have chatted for 2 pages about them .

The things I learn here

Love,

Knitting is a great thing to bring to baseball practices and games, Angie.

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 23 2013 at 4:57pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

JennGM wrote:
Angie Mc wrote:

The things I learn here

Love,

Well, considering how I whistle, cheer, and throw my arms around, I might hurt someone! Do bamboo knitting needles offer an added degree of safety under such circumstances as loudly disagreeing with an ump?

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Jenn Sal
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 23 2013 at 5:33pm | IP Logged Quote Jenn Sal

Angie Mc wrote:
JennGM wrote:
Angie Mc wrote:

The things I learn here

Love,

Well, considering how I whistle, cheer, and throw my arms around, I might hurt someone! Do bamboo knitting needles offer an added degree of safety under such circumstances as loudly disagreeing with an ump?

Love,

you are too funny

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 23 2013 at 5:53pm | IP Logged Quote Betsy

Angie Mc wrote:
JennGM wrote:
Angie Mc wrote:

The things I learn here

Love,

Love,

No, but it CAN keep undesirable parents away!       And, you would be absolutely flabbergasted at the conversations it will start! FWIW, I knit an entire sweater when my oldest was 8 yos playing Fall Ball!

4 lads mom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 23 2013 at 7:52pm | IP Logged Quote 4 lads mom

Does anyone have The Principles of Knitting? You might have already mentioned it and I didn’t see it. I am thinking of getting this one, I have heard it is one of the best for techniques and such....thoughts?

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 23 2013 at 8:01pm | IP Logged Quote Betsy

4 lads mom wrote:
Does anyone have The Principles of Knitting? You might have already mentioned it and I didn’t see it. I am thinking of getting this one, I have heard it is one of the best for techniques and such....thoughts?

I have it!

I read a ton from the original before they got rid of it at the library!    I think I max my check out time for having it. I loved that book. That was when I was really new to knitting.

I pre-ordered this book when I saw it was being republished. I have only read bits and pieces of the new version. I like it. It's a huge book. However, I haven't really read enough to give it much of a review, per say.

So, I think it's a good book to have especially if you are a new knitter--but it might be more of a reference book if you are experienced (which I know you are 4LadsMom)

Does that help???????

Mimip
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 24 2013 at 7:00am | IP Logged Quote Mimip

OFF TOPIC but I need your expertise:

You know I have been looking for a book that I got from the Library years ago when I started knitting, but I cannot remember the name of it and my records for checking out books only go back 12 months.

So here goes an attempt at finding it:

It was a large book with a ton of pictures. It described the types of weight and fibers in yarn. It did not have any patterns or instructions for how to knit but was about fibers. It told you the step by step process of different types of blends and wools. It described all the plant fibers as well. I origianlly started reading it because it told about cotton blends.

SOOOO any ideas?????

Back to Top View Mimip's Profile Search for other posts by Mimip

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 24 2013 at 7:30am | IP Logged Quote Betsy

Mimi,
I have only been kitting for a few years so nothing is jogging my memory. BUT, I did post your request on our local Spinning Group. Those women know everything and many have been knitting/spinning for decades so they have a bit of a broader perspective than I do!

I don't think that this is the book you are looking for, but a good book on different yarns is: Book of Yarn. I have gotten this one from our Library a few times.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 24 2013 at 7:40am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Well, since you mentioned cotton was included, it's not the book I thought, but I will still mention. Craftsy has a free mini-class about wool yarn/fiber given by the author of The Fleece & Fiber Sourcebook: More Than 200 Fibers, from Animal to Spun Yarn. Very interesting class.

Could it be one of these? It's fun to look -- I've requested all these titles from my library!

The Knitter's Book of Yarn: The Ultimate Guide to Choosing, Using, and Enjoying Yarn by Clara Parkes has patterns, so this is probably not it.

The Handknitter's Yarn Guide: A Visual Reference to Yarns and Fibers by Nikki Gabriel

The Knitter's Book of Wool: The Ultimate Guide to Understanding, Using, and Loving this Most Fabulous Fiber by Clara Parkes

The one book that I had was printed in the 80s or 90s, purplish background with different yarns in a straight line. That took brands of yarns and explained the fiber, gauge, etc. Great book, I picked it up at a library sale, but I think I purged it because it was out of date. Wish I remembered the name.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 24 2013 at 8:27am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

JennGM wrote:
The one book that I had was printed in the 80s or 90s, purplish background with different yarns in a straight line. That took brands of yarns and explained the fiber, gauge, etc. Great book, I picked it up at a library sale, but I think I purged it because it was out of date. Wish I remembered the name.

I remembered the cover incorrectly. Universal Yarn Finder by Maggie Righetti, printed in 1987. Still very applicable, especially if you are using vintage patterns or yarns.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 24 2013 at 8:42am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Betsy wrote:
Angie Mc wrote:
JennGM wrote:
Angie Mc wrote:

The things I learn here

Love,

Love,

No, but it CAN keep undesirable parents away!       And, you would be absolutely flabbergasted at the conversations it will start! FWIW, I knit an entire sweater when my oldest was 8 yos playing Fall Ball!

I was knitting during the down times of practice and games. There are a lot of them. Also, it helps when I'd be super frustrated by unfairness and also not willing to participate in some conversations, knitting is a good reliever. Of course, it needs to be lightweight/cotton during those hot months.

Bamboo would be taken as less dangerous than the metal needles.

Mimip
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 24 2013 at 2:59pm | IP Logged Quote Mimip

Betsy wrote:

I don't think that this is the book you are looking for, but a good book on different yarns is: Book of Yarn. I have gotten this one from our Library a few times.

THAT IS IT!!!!! You are amazing!

I did not remember the patterns in the back but that is it!

I just ordered it from Amazon. It really is one of the best yarn books out there!

Back to Top View Mimip's Profile Search for other posts by Mimip

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 24 2013 at 3:13pm | IP Logged Quote Betsy

Mimip wrote:
Betsy wrote:

THAT IS IT!!!!! You are amazing!

I did not remember the patterns in the back but that is it!

I just ordered it from Amazon. It really is one of the best yarn books out there!

Jenn Sal
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 24 2013 at 5:31pm | IP Logged Quote Jenn Sal

Well, my dd begged me to take her to a yarn store today. It was a really good experience!    We arrived right when it opened and the owner was eager to help. It was almost like a field trip! My dd was asking many questions about different yarns; feeling them and comparing them. Then we watched her use some machine ( my dd is not here to ask what it was called ) take the skein (sp?) and make it into a ball. My ds was looking for paper to make a sketch of it, since he want's to be an inventor.

Anyway, I'm grateful that this has been a good experience for all of us, so far.

Thanks again, ladies for all of your help!

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 24 2013 at 7:19pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Wow. I haven't knitted with bamboo in years (because I haven't knitted in years )

Thanks for the great suggestions! I'm not even familiar with Hiya-hiya. or the other things mentioned here. I just remember my bamboo needles were from Japan.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version