Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
 4Real Forums : Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
Subject Topic: The courage to camp? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 10 2006 at 11:31pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

You know, I think I'm most afraid of Bad Guys, lurking wierdos or something. Not too worried about the "nature" part, more the human factor. Though I think I'd probably be a little nervous about Grizzly Bears, too -they're not named "Ursus terribilis" for nothing!)

Kelly in Grizzly-free FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 11 2006 at 1:03am | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Dawn wrote:
Is anyone else here a reluctant camper, or is it just me?

Dawn, I'm such a reluctant camper, that I've been nervous about even reading this thread! Seriously--I've avoided it up until now.

If we ever do make our first foray into camping, our intrepid friend MacBeth is sure to come with us, so I really have little to no excuse. LOL!

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 11 2006 at 4:13am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

alicegunther wrote:
Dawn, I'm such a reluctant camper, that I've been nervous about even reading this thread! Seriously--I've avoided it up until now.

Kelly wrote:
Oh Dawn, I empathize, I really do. I love nature and hiking, I've done mountain climbing, scuba diving, saddle trips, I'm a big animal fan, I even like spiders and snakes!...but I have never been a camper.

Thank you, Alice and Kelly! You have both made me feel better about my insecurities, and made me smile too. I am so glad to hear I'm not the only one intimidated by camping ...

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

MEBarrett
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 11 2006 at 9:30am | IP Logged Quote MEBarrett

Dear Dawn:

I would rather be thrown off a bridge than go camping. That being said I go every year. The kids love it.

I am like you in that I encourage and enjoy nature study but I am not by nature an outdoorsy person. I was raised by a woman who thought nature was a vast conspiracy to muck up your shoes or drop things on your head. Her idea of roughing it was a 3 star establishment.

This may have rubbed off on me a bit.

We did used to go to cabins in Maine for vacations when I was a child and those are some o my fondest memories. They are not my mother's fondest memories. I wanted my kids to have those same kinds of memories.

So about three years ago I called a lovely woman in our rosary group who has camped everywhere alone with her three kids and asked her what I should do. She joined us at a local camp ground that was perfect for kids. There was a pond and a playground and tons of nature trails. Two other famiies joined us and the children loved every minute. It is a tent campground.

Me, I'm still not a fan but I slap a happy face on and go along.

My oldest is also PDD so I know how anxious being in the great outdoors can be for you. Honestly watching him was not more stressful than keeping track of him in a mall or crowded museum. Actually because there were several families with us it was a little easier. More adult eyes.

I find my guy really benefits from time outdoors. It calms him somehow and he is better able to focus. He seems to feel more like a regular kid and participates with the other kids a lot more easily. He also finds it easier to go off and be by himself a bit if he needs a break.

If you are concerned about your guy escaping a tent you can lock up the zipper or just sleep in front of it. That way he would have to climb on you (sounds like a husband job) to get out.

I recommend air matresses, sleeping on the ground is for lions and tigers and bears and things.... not people.

It is intimidating at first but you will soon discover how much the kids benefit from the experience and honestly I have had a lot of fun on our trips. It is definitely worth the trouble.

Tales from the Bonny Blue House
O Night Divine
Back to Top View MEBarrett's Profile Search for other posts by MEBarrett Visit MEBarrett's Homepage

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 11 2006 at 2:37pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

MEBarrett wrote:
I would rather be thrown off a bridge than go camping. That being said I go every year. The kids love it.

!

Mary Ellen, you are my kind of gal! Thanks for all the great advice.

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: May 11 2006 at 11:30pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

I am another reluctant camper who goes every year. I agree completely with Mary Ellen.

MEBarrett wrote:

I just found a quote from a post I made on another thread awhile back that describes my camping experiences:

"I also have good memories of camping during childhood. As an adult, I honestly don't like camping. A hate the dirt, the bugs, the heat, sleeping on the ground (even on an air mattress), and the walk to the dirty public restrooms.    BUT, here is one place where I can identify with my mom. In an effort to be like my mom, I try to bring my children camping at least once each summer, just for the sake of memories and the girls' enjoyment. Unlike my mom, I tend to lose my patience in the heat and discomfort.    To make it more fun, we camp with at least 2 other families. Our kids have a wonderful time. In the end, I can usually admit to enjoying myself as well, even with the discomfort and hard work. One thing that helps is that we usually only go for 2-3 nights, so my difficulties are limited. "

I think it's worth the effort to try it out, especially if the rest of your family is excited at the prospect.

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 18 2006 at 5:17am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

I had to post this here since it is so fitting for those of us getting our feet wet with backyard camping:

Great American Backyard Campout

It sounds neat! And it so happens on that date we are planning my oldest son's 11th b.day as a "camping" party! The dads will take the boys on a hike through our woods and we'll pitch tents in the yard and have a hot dog and marshmallow roast etc.

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 18 2006 at 9:32am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Sounds like alot of fun!

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version