Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Help! Marriage Stories of HOPE, Please Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
3ringcircus
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 12 2012 at 4:32pm | IP Logged Quote 3ringcircus

Interesting topic!

I don't think there's a set formula for age because God puts Mr. Right in our path in His time. Some of us are destined to be young and energetic mothers with time to bear many children. We go through the trial-by-fire of young adulthood w/ a spouse at our side. Others of us are meant to find our way in the world as single adults. We have the freedom to devote time to careers and/or help others in the community. We transition into older adults and (hopefully) become more mature and stable before connecting w/ our husbands. I know both kinds of women and see an equal set of pros & cons for each in how they work in a relationship.

I met my DH when I was 28 and he was 30. We were dancing together for the first time and I made polite conversation.

me: L says your birthday is coming up. (L is the cousin who introduced us)
him: Yes, it is. *pause* I'm almost 30 and I'm not married <- look on his face.

At that point, I remember having two distinct thoughts:
-he was kind of a loser to appear so desperate to an eligible woman he doesn't even know
- "well, here I am!"

DH & I had a full lives and careers as single adults. I felt that I was confident and self sufficient and that getting married wasn't something I needed to do. Rather, it was something I wanted to do, and that I knew I could handle life on my own w/o a man (and the benefits one derives from being part of a couple). I was engaged in my early 20s, and could feel that at this later age I, personally, was more ready. I was more capable of making the right choice for my spouse instead of choosing someone who was "almost".

Back to Top View 3ringcircus's Profile Search for other posts by 3ringcircus

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 12:43pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

3ringcircus wrote:

I met my DH when I was 28 and he was 30. We were dancing together for the first time and I made polite conversation.

me: L says your birthday is coming up. (L is the cousin who introduced us)
him: Yes, it is. *pause* I'm almost 30 and I'm not married <- look on his face.

At that point, I remember having two distinct thoughts:
-he was kind of a loser to appear so desperate to an eligible woman he doesn't even know
- "well, here I am!"

Thanks for the laugh out loud - sweet story!

Here's my recent blog post, Happily married.

The post was written for a broad audience, one that includes many broken hearts. I didn't want it to read like a victory lap...and I wanted to show marriage, mine & in general, to be full of hope.

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 5:16am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Christine

That is so cool! what a clever guy, he grabbed your attention

I've been thinking about this conversation all week. I'd like to be so bold as to share my outlook, but first I need to preface it with, "I'm talking about the good guys here, not talking about the situations that are truly abusive, toxic etc"

My husband is truly my soul mate, however I have a few 'marriage rules'.
1) Never run down my husband, to my friends nor family.(nor to myself) More than that build him up in how I speak about him to others
2) Always praise him to your children, make sure they are aware what a great dad they have
3)Focus on the positives never the negatives. Remind yourself every day why you fell in love with this guy and all the reasons you love him even more than you did the day you married.

Stef,
you may enjoy a blog I've just discovered, Time-Warp Wife

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Marcia
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 26 2012 at 9:23pm | IP Logged Quote Marcia

Bleh.   Thanks everyone for sharing all this! I have a wonderful marriage, but am easily swayed to share the things that I don't like...nit picky.

I'm encouraged to once again see the positives and speak them joyfully! Thank you.

I wonder why
Back to Top View Marcia's Profile Search for other posts by Marcia

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version