Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Homeschool Connections Recorded Courses Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
mwittlans
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 14 2015 at 6:02am | IP Logged Quote mwittlans

I'm writing as a mom who uses the classes and not the co-director.

In my own homeschool, I do a combination of live and recorded courses. I like doing languages, writing, math, and science live. Then I do history and literature in recording.

I like mixing it up. I prefer live courses for the interactivity, but we can move at a faster pace with recorded classes. Plus, the recorded is cheaper than the live.

You've got to make sure to put it on your calendar or in your planner. You'll need to follow up and make sure the kids are taking their classes and completing assignments.

The big hit last year was the Spaceflight Science. It's an intensive course that requires a great deal of work, but boy oh boy does it deliver.

If you do want to do history over the summer, choose Mr. Campbell's courses. He's entertaining and engaging. Make popcorn and put it on the TV.

There are scopes and sequences in the course catalog and also on the blog. Let me know if you need a link.

Blessings,
Maureen :)
Back to Top View mwittlans's Profile Search for other posts by mwittlans

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: July 14 2015 at 2:57pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

mwittlans wrote:
If you do want to do history over the summer, choose Mr. Campbell's courses. He's entertaining and engaging. Make popcorn and put it on the TV.

Yes, I concur!

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 15 2015 at 12:13pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Thanks, Maureen and Mary for the input.

I am looking in particular for a middle school Spanish class, though the SpaceFlight Science sounds tempting. Off to search the cataolg

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

Kathryn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 22 2015 at 2:38pm | IP Logged Quote Kathryn

I signed up my high schoolers for one of the live history classes on Mondays. I knew if we didn't commit to a live class with a specific day/time it would fall off our radar. So, while I don't like a tie on my schedule, it's only 12 classes in the Fall and I figure surely we can plan around that! I'll update when we're done!

Maggie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 18 2016 at 8:21am | IP Logged Quote Maggie

Can anyone tell me more about the behaviour of the students in these classes? Are there chat boxes where kids have side conversations? Personal Messaging?
Classes sound great, but I have heard about bad experiences regarding online classes BC of the chatting, etc .

Thoughts?

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 19 2016 at 7:37am | IP Logged Quote SallyT

In the couple of live classes I've taught, Maggie, behavior hasn't been a problem. My classes have been quite small -- 4-10 students -- and have been electives (creative writing), not core classes, so most students are there because they have an interest. And even my students whose mothers made them take the class (I know of at least one, because I know his mother!) were older high-schoolers, mature and polite, even if they weren't over the moon to be asked to write poetry.

So I really had no problems. I know that there is the capacity for private messaging in the chat function, but as far as I could tell, the only people using it were my moderator (tech support person) and me. I'm not sure whether students have access to it or not, but I'm pretty sure I would see names flashing on the little bar over that function if people were using it.

Kids do "meet" in classrooms in the 15 minutes before class, but there is always an adult present -- either the instructor or the moderator who is actually in charge of opening the classroom and making sure the technology is up and functioning. I'd typically enter the classroom as soon as it was open and be up and down getting things ready, but keeping half an eye on the conversation. The kids were often goofy with each other, but not bad -- just making friends. And they did settle down once class started. I was very clear that once we got going, all conversation had to be on topic, and for the most part it really was. I had one guy who was a wisecracker all the time, but again, not *really* out of line -- his jokes were always on topic!

I don't know what other instructors' experiences are. I think we're all aware of problems that can arise as a result of online communication, and my sense is that Walter and Maureen, with all the instructors, want to do everything possible to run a program where learning happens, not misbehavior.

I hope this helps!

God bless,

Sally

mwittlans
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Jan 19 2016 at 9:40am | IP Logged Quote mwittlans

Again, speaking as both co-director and a mom whose kids take the classes.

As Sally said, every classroom has a course monitor -- an adult who monitors the chat box and helps kids with any tech issues.

Sometimes there are issues with off-topic chatter or a kid who says something inappropriate. It's rare, but it happens. In such a case, the monitor will jump in and rectify the situation. In the very rare extreme case, a student will be removed from the classroom and the parent contacted.

We do not have forums and chatrooms. We did that at one time, but it's too difficult to monitor. Perhaps we'll offer it in the future if a group of parents step forward to volunteer as monitors.

The online safety of children come first to us, so we do our best to take steps toward monitoring everything we can. With that said, we do want students to be able to make friends. That's why we let them chat freely the 15 minutes before class starts (under supervision of the course monitor). I've had students write to me and say things like, "Mrs. Wittmann, I just want to tell you that I started at Franciscan University this month and I already have a few friends from my classes at HSC. Thank you!"

Blessings,
Maureen
Back to Top View mwittlans's Profile Search for other posts by mwittlans

Maggie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 19 2016 at 9:44am | IP Logged Quote Maggie

That is so wonderful to hear, Sally and Maureen. It sounds like HSC has taken a very reasonable approach. Looking forward to Middle School classes in the fall!

graciefaith
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 19 2016 at 3:26pm | IP Logged Quote graciefaith

We've had great success with the recorded classes! I have 2 teens who have taken 2 history courses, 4 writing courses(middle school
And currently doing high school level), 1 science class, a few apologetic boot camps, and a few more courses that will count towards electives. This coming school year, I will most likely pay the extra fee, per writing class, for their writing assignments to be graded by HSC. Extremely reasonable price for a wealth of courses! While not all their teachers have been as interesting as they'd like, they have learned and I've enjoyed discussing it with them. They also enjoy reading the chat section that occurred during the live class. They offer so many courses that I know will benefit mine and sometimes it's hard for me to stop adding to their workload. Lol

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 20 2016 at 11:20am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Thank you for this update! It is encouraging for me to read... last month I was feeling absolutely panicked over attempting high school at home, but I attended one of the Homeschool Connections open houses on line, and I immediately felt so much more at peace. And now your post only confirms that for me.

One thing I did not realize until recently is that even for recorded classes you can sign up for a teacher to tutor your student. It costs extra, but it seems like it would be so worth it.

Graciefaith- do watch watch the classes with your kids and then discuss? Or do they just let you know what they have been learning and you discuss from there?

Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 23 2016 at 4:49pm | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

I signed up for the recorded classes a few weeks ago and so far so good! My two high schoolers and one 7th grader are taking history classes from Mr. Campbell. I did not expect there to be reading assignments and quizzes and tests with answers so bonus! I paid extra for grading for my 11th grader's history class, I think, though it might have been the literature class (both Medieval).

So far, I am very happy and hope the kids take more classes as time goes on. It is very reasonable for what you get!

Melinda-if I can do high school, you can do high school! :)

Back to Top View Erica Sanchez's Profile Search for other posts by Erica Sanchez

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 27 2016 at 9:31am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Thank you for the votive confidence, Erica!    Do you watch any of the classes with them?

Jenn Sal
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 16 2016 at 1:24pm | IP Logged Quote Jenn Sal

I haven't been here for a while, but my oldest is starting HS!😱 I attended a Catholic Homeschool Conference in San Antonio and HC was there. I'm hopeful that HC will assist me and my dd in making this manageable! I also hope to find recorded courses that go along with our family studies with Apologia science and Connecting with History.

Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 16 2016 at 5:36pm | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

Jennifer, you can go to the website and find a long list of the recorded courses they have. I believe more will be added once this semester is finished. So far we are very happy! Especially liking the grading for the Medieval History course that we paid very little for the 11th grader.

Back to Top View Erica Sanchez's Profile Search for other posts by Erica Sanchez

graciefaith
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 01 2016 at 1:05pm | IP Logged Quote graciefaith

Seastar, sorry for the late reply. I dont listen in with them but thats because i have 3 little ones running around and it would only cause more of a distraction for the highschoolers. They discuss it afterwards with me and often include any funny/helpful info from other students in the chat area. This year they've asked to take a live course. They are currently taking Sally T's poetry course and although i originally assumed they wouldnt find it interesting, they're enjoying it!

Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 05 2016 at 12:01pm | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

I don't listen in either for the same reasons. I am so happy with the recorded courses! If finances allow, I know some of my kids would like to take a live class. I had signed them up for a free study skills class (it was last week) and they loved it.

Appreciating all you do, Maureen! (Whenever you read this - I was trying to tag you )

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version