Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Picture Book Discoveries (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Picture Book Discoveries
Subject Topic: big family books Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
knowloveserve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 29 2012 at 11:11pm | IP Logged Quote knowloveserve

I'm trying to think of some picture book titles which feature big families... titles with at least four or more children.

There is of course, the perennial favorite The Seven Silly Eaters. And one of my very, very favorite books of all time: We Were Tired of Living in a House. (HUGE caveat about this book: the 1960s version is the one you want... with illustrations by Doris Burn. The pictures are what make this book excellent. But in the NEWER version, the pictures are lame... AND THEY REMOVED ONE OF THE SIBLINGS!!!!! I guess 3 kids is more PC than 4.

Anyway... what other (great, lovely) books are there out there that feature larger families?

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 30 2012 at 12:17am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Great thread, Ellie and a topic I was thinking about when I posted this recommendation a couple weeks ago - Brothers at Bat

knowloveserve wrote:
The pictures are what make this book excellent. But in the NEWER version, the pictures are lame... AND THEY REMOVED ONE OF THE SIBLINGS!!!!!

That is ridiculous! I love the Doris Burns illustrated version as well (haven't seen the new one, thank goodness... )

A couple immigrant stories come to mind as fitting this topic (probably all large Catholic families ). I know there are more but these are the ones I can think of off the top of my head with 4 or more children.
Small Beauties (six boys, one girl - youngest)
Peppe, the Lamplighter (one boy, eight sisters)

Snow Day (Moira Flynn) - I can't find my copy to count the siblings but know it is more than four.

We're Going on a Bear Hunt (Michael Rosen, Helen Oxenbury) - love this book and see it has an anniversary edition. Hopefully they didn't "remove" a sibling, too. There are 4 children.

And how do you feel about "animal" families? Wouldn't normally include personified human families, but these are so sweet. There are 7 siblings.
Poinsettia and her Family
Poinsettia and the Fire Fighters

Biggest Bed in the World - a funny one we found for family bed, also features breastfeeding which is a topic I'm on the look out for in picture books.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 30 2012 at 1:58am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

An Orange for Frankie Not only is it a large family but there's a widespread of ages too so that you have little kids and adult children with their own families

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 30 2012 at 7:41am | IP Logged Quote Martha

The Rattlebang Picnic is one of my favorites.

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

knowloveserve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 30 2012 at 10:29am | IP Logged Quote knowloveserve

Animal families are just dandy I think.   

And I'd forgotten about Orange for Frankie and Small Beauties! Both good ones!

knowloveserve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 30 2012 at 10:42am | IP Logged Quote knowloveserve

The Five Chinese Brothers was one of my favorite childhood books (there's also a Seven Chinese Brothers but I like the Five better). And I've never read Seven Chinese Sisters but I imagine it's pretty good... the premise is the same. Anyone seen it?

knowloveserve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 30 2012 at 10:46am | IP Logged Quote knowloveserve

Also, Joseph's Hands is about the youngest of four brothers. A very sweet, Catholic story... one to encourage vocations. The illustrations aren't my favorite, but I am willing to overlook that in this case.

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 30 2012 at 10:56am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

knowloveserve wrote:
And I've never read Seven Chinese Sisters but I imagine it's pretty good... the premise is the same. Anyone seen it?

Yes, this is a great book too! It's one of our favorites! I found it originally on Amyable's blog when she listed "books about sisters."

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 30 2012 at 11:08am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I'm fond of the Flicka, Dicka, Ricka and Snipp, Snapp, Snurr.

There are different versions of the "Seven Little Monkeys".

Beatrix Potter's "Peter Rabbit" and a few other of her stories portray the large animal families.

There was one book I read last year, I can't remember the title or author, but it was about a bunny who looked different from all his siblings -- he had black markings. And it wasn't until he got lost and found another family of rabbits that he realized that he was quite normal.

And The Country Bunny and the Little Gold Shoes.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 30 2012 at 11:30am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

JennGM wrote:
And The Country Bunny and the Little Gold Shoes.

Oh I loved this one growing up.. Such a fun story.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

knowloveserve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 09 2012 at 11:35am | IP Logged Quote knowloveserve

I'd forgotten about Andrew Henry's Meadow which has five siblings. And it just came back in print!!!

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 09 2012 at 12:55pm | IP Logged Quote Betsy

The book Welcome With Love is a lovely book about welcoming the home birth of the 4th sibling.

I am sad to see that is OOP. However, if you have a chance to get a copy for a reasonable price, do. The birth is presented in a realistic way, but not too much IMO for kids to see how it really is. The pictures are very lovely! :)

asplendidtime
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 27 2012 at 12:11am | IP Logged Quote asplendidtime

Five little Peppers and How They Grew

You can also listen on Librivox. There are several books in the series.

Mary 14,
Tim 13,
Jonah 12,
Josh 10,
Zoe 9,
Will 7,
Peter 6,
Laura-Mae 4,
Emily-Joy 2,
Genevieve & Gabriella 1
Back to Top View asplendidtime's Profile Search for other posts by asplendidtime Visit asplendidtime's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Dec 29 2012 at 3:00am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

The Kumak series of books. Had forgotten about this having a larger than average family - 4 children. Just read the newest one, Kumak's River. My favorite though is Kumak's Fish. Anyway it is a fun series and good way to learn about the Arctic region and the Eskimo culture. Features Kumak, his wife, 2 sons, 2 daughters and mother-in-law, so is intergenerational as well.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Nov 22 2014 at 2:48am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Tumbleweed Baby - funny book, like a tall tale in style
It is set in depression era dust bowl country.
Upagainstit family has 5 children and find a "tumbleweed baby" who is kind of wild.

Our Domestic Church

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 24 2014 at 3:09am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Adding some more

Princess Pam Fell Into the Jam - Cecilia Egan "a jolly king and queen had twenty-four daughters"

The Story About Ping - Marjorie Flack "Ping the duck lives on the Yangtze River with his father, mother, two sisters, three brothers, eleven aunts, seven uncles and forty-two cousins"

The Mouse With The Too-Long Tail - Bani McSpeden "Mr and Mrs Mouse were the proud parents of fourteen children... but their fifteenth child was known as The Mouse with the Too-Long Tail.."

Tawny Scrawny Lion - Kathryn JacksonThe Tawny Scrawny Lion who is hungry, feared and lonely is 'adopted' by a rabbit who takes him home to dine on carrot stew with his "five fat sisters and four fat brothers.."

The Poky Little Puppy Poky Little Puppy's escapades lead him along with his four brothers, exploring into the 'wide, wide world'

Surprise for Mrs Bunny - Charlotte Steiner Eight little bunnies want to surprise their mother with painted eggs for her birthday

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

knowloveserve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 27 2015 at 11:59am | IP Logged Quote knowloveserve

Eighteen Cousins is a fun little vintage book that has a lovely cadence structure for the 6 and under crowd. It demonstrates the nervousness of a child going to see his cousins... at the end of the story, they are all happily playing together.

kingvozzo
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 27 2015 at 11:38pm | IP Logged Quote kingvozzo

We've always laughed at this one, The Father who had 10 childrensweet text, bright pictures, and funny antics going on with the children.

Back to Top View kingvozzo's Profile Search for other posts by kingvozzo

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: April 23 2015 at 12:52am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Brand new - so sweet.

Mama Seeton's Whistle by Jerry Spinelli

Great family story of love and belonging, family adventures and returning home. It seems to be set in 50/60s - to more modern era at end. There are 4 children in the family. Shows the mother pregnant several times. I really enjoyed it and as the mom who will have an empty nest in a few more years...got me a bit teary-eyed.

Our Domestic Church

Booksnbabes
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 13 2015 at 1:36pm | IP Logged Quote Booksnbabes

It's Not My Turn to Look for Grandma! is available used.

Not picture books, but The Penderwicks are very good books--there are four in the series.

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version