Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Planning and Ordering our Days
 4Real Forums : Planning and Ordering our Days
Subject Topic: Decluttering the Mind Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SarahCD
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 11 2012 at 8:16am | IP Logged Quote SarahCD

Hi.

I am wondering if anyone struggles with collecting so many ideas that it begins to feel overwhelming. It is not just what I am reading about here, either. It can be ideas that pop into my head about projects I'd like to accomplish. It can also be thoughts I have on how things *should* be going in my home. It's the number of things that are swimming around in my head that because I'm not doing anything with, are causing me to feel overwhelmed. They are just always at the back of my mind. So, I tend to think about them all. day. long. They distract me from my duties, and they end up leaving me exhausted and anxious throughout the day.

I admit that I am a lousy list-maker, and I haven't journaled regularly in years. I know this is part of the problem. At the same time, I am fairly organized, which is why I think I have been able to operate this way for so long. But the truth is that I have resigned to living in a survival mode. Blame it on 6 children in 8 years and a bunch of other life-transitions. (I don't know!) But no matter what, I am getting tired of just surviving! I am ready to break through! I want to stop reacting to everything and really live with a plan ... and bring my children along with me. [For example, today is cleaning day, but my children have come downstairs having this whole game in play. They know it's cleaning day, but they are in no way ready to go. So, I now have to react to them, rather than beginning the day more proactively.]

I hope this makes sense! I guess what I am asking is how do you "brain dump?" In other words, how do you get all of those ideas, thoughts, questions, plans out of your head, so that your mind can be clear enough to think about and do what the Lord wants of you? And then what do you do with all of those ideas? How do you move from survival to really being proactive and productive?

Thanks! This forum is a real blessing!
Sarah

Back to Top View SarahCD's Profile Search for other posts by SarahCD

mommy4ever
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 11 2012 at 1:58pm | IP Logged Quote mommy4ever

brain dump!!!

This is fun :)

First sit down with some lined paper and just write. If you prefer typing, then fine, go for it! Every thing, don't worry about sorting it out, just get it written, any order, ideas, chores, random thoughts you're holding onto.

When that is done, use some highlighting to sort it out. Use one color per category. And do it one color at a time. So go through, anything urgent, perhaps it's pink...highlight everything that needs to be done soon. Then things in the next 2 weeks, say yellow. This month, say orange. In the next 6 months - blue. No real plans for it, a possibility - green. In the next year - purple.

Now as you go through them, you can group them in like groups. Your more urgent ones, group together and see if you can spend an hour taking care of them - responding to a friend, returning a call, booking appts. And then things that will take more time, errands, ordering supplies, etc.

Continue, move things around so you have all the colors batched together, you'll be able to sort through it. It's pretty peaceful in the brain when that gets done. As your next month tasks are done, you can start pulling out from the next 6 months list and start tackling those.

Random ideas will now be safe and sound on a list, so they quit taking room in your RAM ;)

I do something like this every few months...it's time again..lol

2 homeschooled(one considering art school!)
ardently praying for a new addition to our family.
Back to Top View mommy4ever's Profile Search for other posts by mommy4ever

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 11 2012 at 2:20pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Yes, I definitely have to do a brain dump and organize my thoughts. I get what you are experiencing, and it's hard balancing all those thoughts. If some are creative ideas to do at some point, they need to be written down and filed away.

For me I have to brain dump before I start school planning, or I'm enticed by all sorts of distractions.

I keep a notebook by my bed. I write down my examination of my conscience, write down highlights of the day and things that are worrying me. Then I also can see what I need to concentrate on the next day. I'm sleeping much better because I'm not juggling all those thoughts.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

mamaslearning
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 11 2012 at 3:50pm | IP Logged Quote mamaslearning

Having multiple small children in the house is a stage of life that sometimes has to be survived. I know exactly how you feel (but with less kids)! I'm finally, finally starting to feel a sense of normalcy again around our house now that the youngest is 1-1/2 years. I'm so grateful for a husband that understands my brain does not function properly until my hormones balance out.

I have odd thoughts jotted onto bits of paper that I collect in one basket. Now, when I get into a project I know where to find my thoughts. I also bookmark lots of pages on the internet and categorize them into different lists - To Read, School, Home, Etc.

Sometimes I create spreadsheets for particular streams of thought to help organize and contain. I often jot down thoughts on a word document that is a haphazard list of all things random.

So, really, I make more work for myself since I'm not too organized, but at least the brain is freer!

Back to Top View mamaslearning's Profile Search for other posts by mamaslearning

DominaCaeli
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 11 2012 at 5:06pm | IP Logged Quote DominaCaeli

Brain dumps are absolutely essential for me to function properly! When I am feeling stressed, full of ideas, overwhelmed, etc., I just sit down with a bunch of pieces of blank paper and start writing: home ideas on one page, homeschooling thoughts on another, problems that need handling or prayer on another--the number of pages and topics depends on what I'm thinking about at the time. This at least sorts all those thoughts into some categories for me to revisit later. Like Jenn said, I will often do this before bed on a particularly stressful day--it does help me sleep.

Then, when I'm feeling more relaxed and have some energy, I take those idea pages and prioritize. To-dos and appointments go on to my calendar and task lists. Library request lists get entered into the system. Shopping lists get made. And so on. These are my action items, and I reference these lists and goals often to stay on task.

For the rest of it--projects, homeschool resources, etc., I take those pages and go into my favorite organizational tool: Evernote. For my the way my mind works, Evernote is just the perfect blend of file storage, document creation, bookmarking, etc. I have a notebook of art projects, a notebook for home decoration and repairs, a notebook for various homeschool subjects and grades, etc. I type, tag, and bookmark, throwing away the physical papers once the ideas and info has been entered somewhere on Evernote.

So that's my system, basically. For the large-scale proects, I really need some quiet and uninterrupted time to think through it all, so I usually save this kind of work for evenings, when all the kids are in bed.

Mommy to six: three boys (8, 4, newborn) and four girls (7, 5, 2, and 1)
Back to Top View DominaCaeli's Profile Search for other posts by DominaCaeli

Claire F
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 11 2012 at 5:12pm | IP Logged Quote Claire F

I totally know what you mean! My problem specific to homeschooling, is that I read or hear about a book or curriculum or program or idea and it leads me on this researching tangent - even if what we were already doing is fine, or what I have planned for the future is fine. I get too caught up in trying to research everything!

I tend to think that way in general - like, at a restaurant I have to look at the whole menu before deciding because I want to make sure I pick exactly what I want (drives my husband crazy!). With the small things, it isn't such a big deal. But when it comes to homeschooling or other big decisions, I have a tendency to go a bit overboard and overresearch and overthink - to the point where it becomes a distraction.

I simply have to write things down. I have a spiral notebook that I keep handy, and I often jot things down in it. I am also an excel spreadsheet list maker! I make lists that I can refer back to later, take some notes, put down my thoughts, links, ideas, etc. Once I write it down in some form, I can get the swirling mess in my mind under better control. Sometimes I have to sit and brain dump at the end of the day before I can sleep because my brain won't shut off without it.

I've also found that when I get into this crazy overthinking research something until I'm blue mentality, I write down my thoughts, impressions, or information I want to remember - and then walk away. I have to make myself do it sometimes because I think, if only I find one more review... ask one more question... etc. When I look at it again with fresh eyes in a day or so, the mind-swirl is calm and I can evaluate whether or not I should spend more time looking into it, or let it go.

Prayer is my often forgotten solution as well. I hate to admit how often I forget to simply turn to God in prayer and ask for peace and wisdom in making decisions. It should be the first thing I do, and yet sadly, it is often the last.

I'm not sure if my ramblings are helpful at all, but I can certainly understand!

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 11 2012 at 5:43pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

oh I sooooo need to do this.. but I'm "jamming gears" right now and that sorta slows down the whole process

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 11 2012 at 8:19pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

ah ha.. gears "jam" when your brain's priorities and the calender's priorities don't mesh. I started to write thigns down.. intending to write down the things I need to get done tonight.. a to do list.. and the things that first came to mind are things I won't be doing until Monday (well maybe prepping on Sunday).. no wonder I can't focus on today.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott

SarahCD
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: May 11 2012 at 8:19pm | IP Logged Quote SarahCD

Oh my goodness! I no longer feel alone! Thank you, thank you! These tips are so encouraging!

I am going to get out a notebook and highlighters and get started this weekend!

The idea of jotting things down at bedtime is so good, too!

A priest just encouraged me to take time everyday to think about the things on my mind. Because if I don't actually take the time, I will waste too much mental energy on mulling things around in my mind ALL. day. long, and that will leave me feeling exhausted! Which it does. (Food for thought ...)

And Claire, I am the same way! I think that is a big part of my problem ~ I overthink/overanalyze things to the point of becoming paralyzed. I have to learn to walk away or remember that what we are already doing is just fine ... If I like something, I can simply take note, and then let it be.

I certainly don't expect all of my feelings of being overwhelmed and anxious to be gone this weekend! So, if anyone has any more tips and how-tos for decluttering the mind, I'd love to hear them. And it sounds like others would benefit from them, too!

Back to Top View SarahCD's Profile Search for other posts by SarahCD

ShannonJ
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 12 2012 at 7:51am | IP Logged Quote ShannonJ

SarahCD wrote:

A priest just encouraged me to take time everyday to think about the things on my mind. Because if I don't actually take the time, I will waste too much mental energy on mulling things around in my mind ALL. day. long, and that will leave me feeling exhausted!

When I get brain overload I can't get to sleep at night. So I always keep that notebook by my bed to use when I can't sleep and section it into priorities for the next day:

Something to do for my husband:
Something to do for my family:
Something to do for myself:

Things to do:
Things to discuss:

Clears my mind and I always fall right to sleep!

Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 15 2012 at 1:36am | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

ShannonJ wrote:

Something to do for my husband:
Something to do for my family:
Something to do for myself:

Things to do:
Things to discuss:

I just jotted your list down in my notebook. :)

Love it!

Back to Top View Erica Sanchez's Profile Search for other posts by Erica Sanchez

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 15 2012 at 11:55am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Now if i could just find the notebooks again

-Sir Walter Scott

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 16 2012 at 5:15am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

SarahCD wrote:

I am going to get out a notebook and highlighters and get started this weekend!

A priest just encouraged me to take time everyday to think about the things on my mind. Because if I don't actually take the time, I will waste too much mental energy on mulling things around in my mind ALL. day. long, and that will leave me feeling exhausted! Which it does. (Food for thought ...)

And Claire, I am the same way! I think that is a big part of my problem ~ I overthink/overanalyze things to the point of becoming paralyzed.

I hear you loud a clear. This year I bought a notebook and I just grab it and start writing. It's really not organized at all, but I feel better when I can get the ideas or thoughts I have down on paper. This thread inspired me to write a blog post about it.
My blog

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 20 2012 at 3:31pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Just browsing the planning forum looking for a different thread and came across this older one.

I think that you might find this thread on Getting Things Done helpful. The entire concept is really all about "decluttering the mind" and creating a list system that works for you and that you trust so you can let go.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 20 2012 at 5:06pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Actually you know I use email drafts for a lot of this.. I create folder (like household drafts) and then I can put meal planning ideas and chores and such in that.. and each has a subject line so that I can find it again.. and add to them without the physical restraints of a bound notebook..

-Sir Walter Scott

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 20 2012 at 5:19pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

JodieLyn wrote:
Actually you know I use email drafts for a lot of this.. I create folder (like household drafts) and then I can put meal planning ideas and chores and such in that.. and each has a subject line so that I can find it again.. and add to them without the physical restraints of a bound notebook..

I think that David Allen's system can work with so many formats like that, depending on what works for you. Some people use a notebook or binder, others use their phones or a program like Evernote, etc... It is really just a specific way to approach what to do with your brain dump, however it happens for you, so that you can trust your system well enough to not feel the need to think about the stuff anymore.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version