Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
 4Real Forums : Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
Subject Topic: Anna McGovern, Nature Lessons Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
AmandaV
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 26 2012 at 11:27am | IP Logged Quote AmandaV

Grace&Chaos wrote:

I actually printed two volumes: Chapter 1,2,3 and then 4,5,6. I think Jen is right if you do four volumes they will be thin. I didn't mind doing Fall & Winter together because in CA I guess the two really just mesh. If I'm not mistaken there is no Summer section so Chapter 4 Spring (which is lengthy) is its own volume with chapter 5 & 6. I did print two pages on one still leaving a nice white border for notes and since it is one sided I can also write notes on the blank opposite page.

Thanks, Jenny. The type isn't too small with all the shrinking? And before you had a binder, could you get a smaller page bound at your local office supply/Fedex Kinkos?

I didn't realize there wasn't a summer. Yeah, here in south TX they are all fairly similar, too, though there is a mild winter and a HOT HOT Summer. The birds know its Spring right now, though, even though its inching toward 90 these days.. so I still want my children to learn the seasons :) Thanks for all your help!

wife since 6/03, Mom to son 7/04, daughter 2/06, twin sons 6/08 and son 7/11, son 1/2014
Back to Top View AmandaV's Profile Search for other posts by AmandaV

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: April 26 2012 at 11:30am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

AmandaV wrote:
I have issues with my printer pulling in 3 pages at once sometimes, and usually waste some paper in the process, even if we do ONE.Booklet.at.a.time. So...we are looking into a new printer... when my house sells, hopefully. Or before. Because it really is so important a tool. :)

Oh, I feel your pain!! I had to be content with my old printer limping along for about a year, and then I bought a new one, an Epson Workforce 840. It's just fantastic! I'd marry it if I could!!! Here's a thread for you to tuck away in your Favorites with some info on printer/copier choices, and includes my thoughts on my new Epson.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

AmandaV
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 26 2012 at 11:40am | IP Logged Quote AmandaV

Mackfam wrote:
AmandaV wrote:
I have issues with my printer pulling in 3 pages at once sometimes, and usually waste some paper in the process, even if we do ONE.Booklet.at.a.time. So...we are looking into a new printer... when my house sells, hopefully. Or before. Because it really is so important a tool. :)

Oh, I feel your pain!! I had to be content with my old printer limping along for about a year, and then I bought a new one, an Epson Workforce 840. It's just fantastic! I'd marry it if I could!!! Here's a thread for you to tuck away in your Favorites with some info on printer/copier choices, and includes my thoughts on my new Epson.

Thank you! Just left you a question over there. :)

wife since 6/03, Mom to son 7/04, daughter 2/06, twin sons 6/08 and son 7/11, son 1/2014

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 26 2012 at 11:51am | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

AmandaV wrote:
Thanks, Jenny. The type isn't too small with all the shrinking? And before you had a binder, could you get a smaller page bound at your local office supply/Fedex Kinkos?

Funny you ask that. I was actually wondering if someone might consider the type to small. I was at the market yesterday and the cashier asked if I could read off some coupon numbers for her because she forgot her glasses . Anyway, I usually set my printer to print two pages on one and just one on one so I can compare. I'm not sure what you mean about a smaller page because even though I print the two pages on one landscape, the page is still the same letter size. The binding goes on the long side .   I'm a visual person so I hope that made sense.

Grace in Loving Chaos
Back to Top View Grace&Chaos's Profile Search for other posts by Grace&Chaos Visit Grace&Chaos's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 26 2012 at 12:37pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Mackfam wrote:
Another very good option is to print a google books version on your home printer. I've done this a number of times with success. It's especially nice with a book you know you'll be using or referring too regularly, and that you'd like to have a paper copy of. The biggest drawback is with formatting glitches that are, I'm sad to say, common in google books. My best printing of free books (that is to say, books in the public domain) comes from archive.org. Their formatting is usually quite nice, and translates well in printing.

So, if I were going to print this resource, I'd print this one. Hope that helps some!

I just looked through this one as an e-book on my iPad, and there are TONS of glaring typos! I couldn't even decipher what some of the chapter titles were supposed to be. I don't know if the source is different for some of the other available options, but its just something to be aware of if you are putting the energy into printing.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

AmandaV
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 03 2013 at 8:03pm | IP Logged Quote AmandaV

Bumping this because I picked up my copy of Type Lessons today (a print on demand from QOOP) and was thumbing through. I had forgotten there was no summer section and we are unfortunately rather into summer here in south Texas already :( ...but I think I can stretch out some of the spring lessons for the next few weeks.

So when I was looking for the summer section I ran into Chapter V, Language Through Literature. I came to the thread tonight to see if it had been discussed at length as, so far, it is quite lovely! I really only saw this as a nature study with appropriate poetry resource, but it is so much more, isn't it?   She begins: "Literature of power and distinction will prove invaluable as a means of strengthening virtue, attacking vice and enriching language. The models of expression placed before the young in prose or verse should contain pure and ennobling thought, the best that has been enshrined in literature." She continues, quoting a "Miss Arnold": "We teach the child to read without implanting in his soul such love for the good in literature that he will choose the good and no other, and we have opened for him doors into evil paths as well as good, without power to withstand the temptations of the one and to steadily pursue the other. We give him power to express his thoughts - what thoughts?"

I really liked this opening and am eager to read more of this chapter. It seems to go along quite well with some of the things I've been considering lately related to the good, the true, and the beautiful, reading plenty of older classic literature and fairy tales, and things I've been listening to on Circe Institute. Anyway, I just wanted to share!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version