Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
 4Real Forums : Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
Subject Topic: Anna McGovern, Nature Lessons Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
mamaslearning
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 24 2012 at 10:23am | IP Logged Quote mamaslearning

From this thread I was intrigued by Krista:

kristacecilia wrote:
We have also done a lot of nature study with nature walks and the Anna McGovern book Type Lessons for Primary Teachers in the Study of Nature, Literature, and Art.

Has anybody else used this book? Krista, what do you think of it?

Back to Top View mamaslearning's Profile Search for other posts by mamaslearning

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: April 24 2012 at 4:10pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I have this book and find it very valuable and lovely! From this thread:

Mackfam wrote:
Adding another author to this thread:

Anna E. McGovern (1853 - 1946)

First, a little history on Miss McGovern. She attended the Iowa State Normal School (which is now the University of Northern Iowa) as a student in the first class, she graduated with a bachelors degree, and was then one of the first female professors of the school, quite an accomplishment for a young lady in her day. She was the Professor of Primary Methods. She was also a devout Catholic, and either as a student or as a new Professor, founded the Catholic Student Association (either as a student or a faculty member) which later became known as the Newman Catholic Association at the University of Northern Iowa (at the time the University was called Iowa State Normal School).

More information on the history of Anna E. McGovern can be read here, at the Knights of Columbus site, St. Stephen the Witness Catholic Student Center. There is a little more on her here, at the University of Northern Iowa's site.

From this thread, I shared in detail about one of her books, a 1902 copy of Nature Study and Related Literature:

Mackfam wrote:
Grace&Chaos wrote:
Jen, please share your title. I'm finding a new love for printing old books found for free on google books .

The book to which I refer is the 1905 edition of a book which I have, use often, and TRULY enjoy! (I know I've mentioned it here and on my blog before.)

I have a 1902 copy of Anna E. McGovern's book, Nature Study and Related Literature. This title was reissued in 1905 under a new name, Type Lessons for Primary Teachers in the Study of Nature, Literature and Art by Anna E. McGovern. I downloaded the 1905 copy and compared it side-by-side with my 1902 edition. They are very similar, in fact, the meat of the two books is the same - same wording, many of the same lessons, same poetry - but the 1905 edition has rearranged some lessons, adding them to the Table of Contents, which was not done in the same way (or not at all) in the 1902 edition. There are also some additions to the 1905 book and these appear to be in the same style and loveliness of the lessons of the 1902 book. I'm not sure why the 1905 book would be available digitally, but not the 1902 edition, but side-by-side, they're practically identical except that the 1905 edition has clearly been revised. I haven't really dug in yet though. It could be that these books are in fact completely identical, but the 1905 edition arranged and organized the subject matter in a more understandable way. The more I look at it, the more I am inclined to believe this is the case. The 1902 edition has 384 pages, the 1905 edition has 380. Very similar page numbers if significant additions were made.

Anyway, I'll share with you the author's preface which is the same in both books:
Anna E. McGovern wrote:
                   In the preparation of this book it has been the aim to illustrate by concrete examples, type lessons suitable for each season of the year, and also to emphasize the importance of the poetic presentation of truth in the nature lessons in the lower grades.
                   The aim of Nature Study is twofold: First, to cultivate the higher nature of the child and lead him toward his Creator; and secondly, to develop his intellectual powers and lead him to acquire a knowledge of his physical environment.
                   A careful consideration of this twofold purpose suggests the desirability of correlating Nature Study with literature and art. The educational value of the classic poem and beautiful picture in which true art principles are exemplified, in elevating taste and creating a high standard of the beautiful, can scarcely be estimated.
                   No more potent agents can be found than the poets and the painters in revealing spiritual beauty.
                   In considering the tree, the flower, the bird, or whatever it may be, poems and stories are included in the plan of study, not for the purpose of giving instruction, but to supplement the subject with literature, which will illumine and crystallize the nature lesson and impress correct ideals of truth and beauty.

This gives you a very clear idea of the subject matter of this book and the poetry and lessons contained within are quite extraordinary!

Just for ease of linking and clicking (both of these are free downloads to ereaders or for reading on the computer):
Archive.org version (easiest to read on the computer, also easy to download to a number of ereaders - a free download)
Type Lessons for Primary Teachers in the Study of Nature, Literature and Art

Google Books version (wanted to be sure to include since Jenny mentioned her talent for turning google books into paper books!)

and....

Mackfam wrote:
More on how I use the above book from the same thread:

Mackfam wrote:
lapazfarm wrote:
Mackfam wrote:

Google Books version (wanted to be sure to include since Jenny mentioned her talent for turning google books into paper books!)

Jen,
I downloaded that book when you linked it a few days ago. It's a real treasure trove of nature-related lit. But I am having trouble wrapping my brain around how exactly to use it. Maybe because reading it on the Kindle makes it harder to leaf through and get a feel for the big picture of the book, you know?
So I guess what I'm wondering is exactly how YOU use this book.

It is helpful to remember that this book was written to encourage teachers within the school system who felt they had no experience or knowledge in Natural History. At the time, Nature Study was virtually unheard of, and Miss McGovern felt that was a travesty. The book was meant to provide teachers an easy to use book to begin to foster a love of Natural History and Nature Study. So this book is most ideally suited to the home educating mom that might feel intimidated to get started with Nature Study, or feels she has no background in Natural History and is concerned she won't be an adequate guide in Nature (which...um...is not you, Theresa!).

I use the book in a variety of ways:

:: Seasonal Poetry - I always pull this book out as we approach the end of one season and the beginning of another in order to plan the next term's seasonal poetry. It is my absolute favorite source for seasonal poetry, and of course, nature related poetry, which is what the author intended.

:: Lesson specific - I review the book seasonally, and find that I offer lessons from it for my elementary students, maybe one or two each term. The little people really enjoy the lessons.

:: Mini-ideas - I enjoy reading through the lesson for mini-ideas I might want to pursue or build on, rather than working the whole lesson. I grab a few ideas to build on rather than investigating an entire chapter. This works out a lot for us since we tend to be pretty relaxed and I really like the kids to observe and make connections on their own. I like the help of the lessons as background and for inspiring ideas and ALWAYS for the lit/poetry connections, but mining the lessons for mini-ideas is probably how I use this book a great majority of the time. An example, I really loved all the ideas at the beginning of the color chapter -
     ** hang prisms in sunny windows (check! )
     ** notice the colors of the spectrum in nature (we challenged ourselves and did a sort of ROYGBIV scavenger hunt on our nature walk...crimson in the October Glory Maple leaves, Yellow in the Tulip Poplar, etc....that was a really fun nature walk!)
     ** blow soapbubbles and notice the colors of the spectrum in the bubbles

:: Questions which prompt investigation - there are always a plethora of these questions in each lesson. Sometimes I just ask a few to jump start an investigation.

:: OOP Book resource treasure chest - I enjoy the book references and lists she offers which might help flesh out a lesson. Sometimes these are at the end of lessons, and there is a long list in the back of my book. Obviously, they're all out of print now, but many can still be found through searches. It's a gold mine of lovely oop books for nature study.

:: Emphasis on CM methods - I really appreciate how she emphasizes CM methods in nature study - a child's own observation of the natural world. She writes of the teacher as the "leader", "lead the children...". I suppose that doesn't really bother me, though I'd rather think of myself more as a participant and learning alongside, but certainly, I could see how you could substitute "guide" for "leader", in that as parent-teachers we sometimes present or guide children to opportunities to explore and observe. Anyway, it's a bit of a tangent, but I wondered if I agreed with this viewpoint at first, but after reading a bit I came to understand that Miss McGovern sees the teacher as a guide, presenting opportunities for observation. I believe that while she hoped her book would be a useful tool for Nature Study, she had no intention that it would replace quiet observations. Using the example of The Morning Glory lesson, the work of the root:
Quote:
Lead children to see that the roots hold the other members of the (flower) family in place and aid in supporting the stem. <snip> Try several similar experiments and lead children to see that the plants will not live without the root-hairs. Let children get the thought from the plants.

That bolded sentence is not included in the 1905 version I noticed, and that's a bummer because I really like that sentence. It's a needed reminder - we're not to present the connection (very CM thought here), the child uncovers the connection.

In the same Morning Glory lesson, she encourages the teacher to illustrate the Morning Glory using only the children's descriptions in order to encourage the children to observe fine details! Thought that was a fantastic idea...and could be extended to a number of activities. It's actually something I use as a kind of healing-making-up-work....when we've had a rough day...and I've been less-than-gentle ( ), I ask the kids to describe something to me in fine detail and I draw it. It's great on a number of levels.

But I digress....

:: Poetry resource for reading aloud during nature sketch time - I read aloud from the poetry and literature selections when the children are adding items to their Nature Sketch books, ESPECIALLY if they are illustrating something pertinent to a lesson or topic because there are always great lit/poetry selections! They really enjoy it when I read aloud while they are painting or sketching. I may not always use the Nature Study lessons as Miss McGovern writes them, but if the children have been out to see their seasonal trees (the children have each chosen a tree, and we visit it and illustrate it seasonally), then I'm cracking this book open and reading poetry or literature from the section on trees.

:: Appendices which are helpful...but slightly irritating in that many of the poems and resources listed would have been nice if they were just included with the lesson appropriate chapter. Maybe that's one of the things that is more intuitively arranged in the 1905 printing. In the back of my 1902 book there are various appendices and these are enjoyable to get to know. One of our favorites poems listed in the INSPIRATION POEMS section is The Glory of God In Creation by Thomas Moore (link to poem here). We introduce our new year of Nature Study with this poem each year - it's an annual tradition now. There are many other poems here as well that we enjoy.

:: Inspiring Picture Study chapter - I like the Picture Study chapter in my book - there is a yearly listing of artwork to be studied for each grade, 1 - 4. It's a very nice list. There's a lovely study of Corregio's Holy Night in this chapter. It's very CM, and so it's nothing new if you've been doing Picture Study all along, but it is a neat little chapter with some good ideas for artwork.

Anna McGovern believed that nature study was incomplete without literature and literature study incomplete without art. Thus, all of her lessons foster these three working together. I probably find myself a more relaxed "guide" when it comes to Nature Study, and use her lessons and book to springboard ideas. I relish the related literature and poetry selections though! So, in addition to enjoying the seasonal poetry and nature related literature, I mostly mine the chapters for mini-ideas I might use to springboard or further an observation the children have made spontaneously on one of their nature walks.

Favorite spin-off book that I learned of in reading Anna McGovern's book? Poetry of the Seasons by Mary Isabella Lovejoy....but there are still so many I'm hunting down!

Hope this is a help, Theresa!

That is probably WAAAAAAAAY more than you EVER wanted to know about the book!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

mamaslearning
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 24 2012 at 4:21pm | IP Logged Quote mamaslearning

Thanks Jen! I searched for McGovern and it came up with only five results. I wonder if something is wrong with the search or did I do something wrong?

Back to Top View mamaslearning's Profile Search for other posts by mamaslearning

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: April 24 2012 at 4:35pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

mamaslearning wrote:
Thanks Jen! I searched for McGovern and it came up with only five results. I wonder if something is wrong with the search or did I do something wrong?

Aha! Yes....I know what happened. Don't feel bad, Lara. Our system admin guru just changed a feature of the search function for us, and you probably haven't noticed it. It will make a difference in the number of results you get. I think I know what happened...

Go to the search page. There you will find 6 fields in order to narrow search parameters:

** Search For
** Search In
** Search Forum
** Posted by
** Scope
** Sort Results By

Take a look at Scope. If you:

*Search For* --> McGovern
*Search In* --> Message Body
*Search Forum* --> All
*Posted by* --> leave blank
*Scope* --> you'll have 6 different choices, but the default setting here is always going to be Last 3 Months. You can start there, but if you don't get enough hits, you might try searching in All Posts. Doing so will take more time for the search engine to find threads that fit your search parameters, but will yield more results.

Now....knowing that the title of this book deals with "Nature Lessons", I might try to whittle my results more, so I might change the parameter:

*Search Forum* to --> Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science

....and that gets me 4 results, one of which is the thread I linked.   

Hope that's a help, Lara!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

kristacecilia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 24 2012 at 7:09pm | IP Logged Quote kristacecilia

Wow... well what can I add to that?   

I do like this book. I especially like it for a few reasons:

- It can be used for multiple ages at the same time.
- It's format is really user friendly; first, it's divided by seasons. Second, each topic has its own section. So I can look up a bird type or flower name of something that we have seen recently on our nature walks and there is a lesson right there at my fingertips.
- Third, like Jen said, it's very Charlotte Mason. It's not about lectures, but about presenting the beauty of nature through observation of nature, literature, and art .

We use it maybe once every other week. Usually what I do is sort of what I mentioned above. We notice something going on around us and I pull out the book. Here is how we used it recently:

My kids found wild violets blooming in the garden last week. The first ones of the spring. They picked a bunch and brought them in to show me. So I grabbed the book of my shelf and flipped it to the section in the Spring Nature study on blue violets and read it really fast (they aren't very long). Then I used what they had suggested-

"Let's go outside and look at the violets! Where does it live? You show me where you found them."

Then we gathered leaf, flower, and attempted root and then gave up on that idea. We brought them in and I set them on the table with some magnifying glasses. I went ahead and had the kids get out their nature journals and draw the violet flower and leaf (this was more for my 8 year old. He was super excited to record his discovery that violet leaves have jagged edges!) 8 year old son also went and got our wildflower guide and identified the type of violet we had and wrote down the Latin and English names for it in his drawing when he was done. They really enjoyed looking at it under the magnifying glass, too.

While they did their drawings, I read some of the violet poetry from the book.

We did the same sort of thing when we spotted our first Robins this year.

I also was having them do a seed study for science using this book along with Seed Babies. They are really enjoying that. The seed lesson is pretty long so we were doing one little part a week or so, then reading part of Seed Babies once a week or so. They beg me for it, they are enjoying it immensely.

Anyway, I think I would name this book as my must have early elementary science resource. It is such a treasure.

Wife to a great guy, mom to two boys ('04, '06) and three girls ('08, '10, '12!)

I blog at http://kristacecilia.wordpress.com/
Back to Top View kristacecilia's Profile Search for other posts by kristacecilia

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: April 24 2012 at 7:13pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

kristacecilia wrote:
Wow... well what can I add to that?   

Oh, I'm so glad you did though! I love hearing how others use this resource, too!! And your fresh perspective is really inspiring!

AmandaV
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 24 2012 at 9:46pm | IP Logged Quote AmandaV

I'm trying to remember, Jen, and now Krista - did you print the whole thing or do you read on an e-reader?

wife since 6/03, Mom to son 7/04, daughter 2/06, twin sons 6/08 and son 7/11, son 1/2014
Back to Top View AmandaV's Profile Search for other posts by AmandaV

kristacecilia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 24 2012 at 10:02pm | IP Logged Quote kristacecilia

I purchased mine from Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Lessons-Primary-Teachers-Nature-Litera ture/dp/1145517072/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1335322886 &sr=1-1

It was pricy but I plan to use it for many years.

It is available elsewhere.

Wife to a great guy, mom to two boys ('04, '06) and three girls ('08, '10, '12!)

I blog at http://kristacecilia.wordpress.com/
Back to Top View kristacecilia's Profile Search for other posts by kristacecilia

mamaslearning
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 25 2012 at 10:17am | IP Logged Quote mamaslearning

Mackfam wrote:

Aha! Yes....I know what happened. Don't feel bad, Lara. Our system admin guru just changed a feature of the search function for us, and you probably haven't noticed it. It will make a difference in the number of results you get.

Yes, I had not noticed that new feature.    What a wonderful addition to the search options. Thank you!

I'm so excited, I just purchased a printed copy of the book, and I hope it turns out okay.

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: April 25 2012 at 1:05pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

mamaslearning wrote:
I'm so excited, I just purchased a printed copy of the book, and I hope it turns out okay.

I think you'll be very pleased! Mine is a book, too. It was given to me by a dear friend that shares my deep and passionate love for old book treasures! She found the extra copy (she already had one herself) in a thrift store.

AmandaV
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 25 2012 at 2:32pm | IP Logged Quote AmandaV

Mackfam wrote:
mamaslearning wrote:

I think you'll be very pleased! Mine is a book, too. It was given to me by a dear friend that shares my deep and passionate love for old book treasures! She found the extra copy (she already had one herself) in a thrift store.

What a find! I need to find the right thrift stores :)
I think we'll use it on the iPad since I have one, for now, and then if I see myself really use it I could print or keep searching for an old used copy. Right now they are $90...
I'm trying to remind myself of this very useful feature (old books on archive and google) on the iPad, but I so prefer holding the book in my hand!

wife since 6/03, Mom to son 7/04, daughter 2/06, twin sons 6/08 and son 7/11, son 1/2014

mamaslearning
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 25 2012 at 3:22pm | IP Logged Quote mamaslearning

AmandaV wrote:
Mackfam wrote:
mamaslearning wrote:

What a find! I need to find the right thrift stores :)
I think we'll use it on the iPad since I have one, for now, and then if I see myself really use it I could print or keep searching for an old used copy. Right now they are $90...
I'm trying to remind myself of this very useful feature (old books on archive and google) on the iPad, but I so prefer holding the book in my hand!

Oh, I could never afford an original, so I bought a reprint from a scanned copy (it's a printing of the copy that Google has for free as an e-book). I paid $17, so I just hope I get a decent copy.

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: April 25 2012 at 3:31pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Another very good option is to print a google books version on your home printer. I've done this a number of times with success. It's especially nice with a book you know you'll be using or referring too regularly, and that you'd like to have a paper copy of. The biggest drawback is with formatting glitches that are, I'm sad to say, common in google books. My best printing of free books (that is to say, books in the public domain) comes from archive.org. Their formatting is usually quite nice, and translates well in printing.

So, if I were going to print this resource, I'd print this one. Hope that helps some!

AmandaV
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 25 2012 at 3:44pm | IP Logged Quote AmandaV

Thanks, Jen. Can you link to your "how I print books and bind them from archive" post/thread? When you get a chance. :)

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 26 2012 at 9:28am | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

Mackfam wrote:
Another very good option is to print a google books version on your home printer. I've done this a number of times with success. It's especially nice with a book you know you'll be using or referring too regularly, and that you'd like to have a paper copy of. The biggest drawback is with formatting glitches that are, I'm sad to say, common in google books. My best printing of free books (that is to say, books in the public domain) comes from archive.org. Their formatting is usually quite nice, and translates well in printing.

So, if I were going to print this resource, I'd print this one. Hope that helps some!

I printed mine this way. Added a nice scrap book cover page, plastic cover and black end cover, and bound it. Looks just fine!

Grace in Loving Chaos
Back to Top View Grace&Chaos's Profile Search for other posts by Grace&Chaos Visit Grace&Chaos's Homepage

AmandaV
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 26 2012 at 9:41am | IP Logged Quote AmandaV

Grace&Chaos wrote:

I printed mine this way. Added a nice scrap book cover page, plastic cover and black end cover, and bound it. Looks just fine!

Jenny, did you print this half-size as described in the "printing books" thread?- I'll have to find it later and link.   

Would this book work as 4-5 volumes? Fall, Winter, Spring, and Summer, and Picture Study? I was thinking of printing just Spring for now to try it out, half size as Jenny described, one sided as my printer does not cooperate with double sided.

Then I could see if I wanted to print the other 3-4 "volumes".

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: April 26 2012 at 10:05am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Amanda,
I found a couple of threads for you:

Anyone else print Google Books

At Home Book Binding - Spiral and Otherwise

========================================

I think this book would work as a 4 volume work, although they might be slim volumes. Another option would be to print the 4 sections (seasons) and then bind them with a cardstock inserted between the different sections.

I don't usually print half size when I do print just because the more complicated the printing task, the less likely I am to do it. I also don't mind the white space around the page because I white space and big margins for making notes. I might note additional books, resources, web sites, or other ideas there. The only effort I make is to open the document in Adobe and use their very good printing options so I can print front/back. If you can't print automatically double sided, it isn't hard to print odd pages only, then reload and print even pages...which effectively prints front/back.

Good luck printing, Amanda! I think you will really enjoy this resource!

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 26 2012 at 11:14am | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

AmandaV wrote:
Grace&Chaos wrote:

Jenny, did you print this half-size as described in the "printing books" thread?- I'll have to find it later and link.   

Would this book work as 4-5 volumes? Fall, Winter, Spring, and Summer, and Picture Study? I was thinking of printing just Spring for now to try it out, half size as Jenny described, one sided as my printer does not cooperate with double sided.

Then I could see if I wanted to print the other 3-4 "volumes".

I actually printed two volumes: Chapter 1,2,3 and then 4,5,6. I think Jen is right if you do four volumes they will be thin. I didn't mind doing Fall & Winter together because in CA I guess the two really just mesh. If I'm not mistaken there is no Summer section so Chapter 4 Spring (which is lengthy) is its own volume with chapter 5 & 6. I did print two pages on one still leaving a nice white border for notes and since it is one sided I can also write notes on the blank opposite page.

Grace in Loving Chaos
Back to Top View Grace&Chaos's Profile Search for other posts by Grace&Chaos Visit Grace&Chaos's Homepage

AmandaV
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 26 2012 at 11:23am | IP Logged Quote AmandaV

Mackfam wrote:
Amanda,
I found a couple of threads for you:

Anyone else print Google Books

At Home Book Binding - Spiral and Otherwise

Thank you so much!

Mackfam wrote:

I think this book would work as a 4 volume work, although they might be slim volumes. Another option would be to print the 4 sections (seasons) and then bind them with a cardstock inserted between the different sections.

I don't usually print half size when I do print just because the more complicated the printing task, the less likely I am to do it. I also don't mind the white space around the page because I white space and big margins for making notes. I might note additional books, resources, web sites, or other ideas there. The only effort I make is to open the document in Adobe and use their very good printing options so I can print front/back. If you can't print automatically double sided, it isn't hard to print odd pages only, then reload and print even pages...which effectively prints front/back.

Good luck printing, Amanda! I think you will really enjoy this resource!

I think so too, I just have to decide how! I do use odd, then even printing for a weekly Morning Prayer booklet I print for my husband's prayer group, using Adobe ( yes, great options!) but I have issues with my printer pulling in 3 pages at once sometimes, and usually waste some paper in the process, even if we do ONE. Booklet. at. a. time. So...we are looking into a new printer... when my house sells, hopefully. Or before. Because it really is so important a tool. :)

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: April 26 2012 at 11:25am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Grace&Chaos wrote:
If I'm not mistaken there is no Summer section so Chapter 4 Spring (which is lengthy) is its own volume

This is true. Following Spring is a group of chapter-like appendices on various topics like picture study, environment, suggestions for study of a poem. (Remember though, I have the 1902 version which is formatted slightly differently than the version linked on archive.)

The reason for the missing summer section is that this book, like many others of this time, were written to assist teachers within the schools, therefore since school was dismissed over the summer months, there were no summer chapters or selections in these kind of books.

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version