Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Table displays during Lent Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Sharyn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 28 2012 at 4:15am | IP Logged Quote Sharyn

I have been thinking of getting some dried or silk flowers for display on our dining table, but then remembered that it will be lent soon. I'm wondering what might be appropriate? Would anyone care to share table displays they've done for lent?

organiclilac
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 28 2012 at 8:36am | IP Logged Quote organiclilac

Some things that we've had on our table for Lent:

- a purple cloth

- a small dish (actually, it is a tea light candle holder, I think) of the ashes from burning our Alleluia banner

- a life-size nail like the one that would have been used to crucify Jesus. Ours was actually sold as a Christmas ornament, but we prefer it for Lent.

- a small crown of thorns that I made. I bought a small grapevine wreath and clipped thorns from our hawthorne tree and just tucked the thorns in. You could use toothpicks instead if you don't have access to real thorns - it would look better if you painted or dyed them brown to match the wreath. This looks almost as good as the "real" crowns of thorns I have seen available to purchase, and was ever so much cheaper.

- a small wooden box I painted purple with black decorations (a crown of thorns around the outside and a cross on top) that contains gold-painted wood letters that spell ALLELUIA - the letters come out and decorate our table during the Easter season

- a Lenten cross that was a wedding gift from a man who is now a priest. It is like an Advent wreath, but for Lent. He made it with 2 pieces of wood, one notched on the top and the other on the bottom to make a cross, with holes for 6 candles, 5 purple and one pink. I really love this!

That's all I can think of for now!

Tracy

Elena
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 30 2012 at 4:17pm | IP Logged Quote Elena

Here are some things we have done on our tablefor Lent.

Also see this oneand here.

One Day at a Time

Back to Top View Elena's Profile Search for other posts by Elena Visit Elena's Homepage

Sharyn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 01 2012 at 9:05am | IP Logged Quote Sharyn

Thanks Ladies!!! So many great idea's!

Sharyn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 01 2012 at 9:08am | IP Logged Quote Sharyn

organiclilac wrote:
- a Lenten cross that was a wedding gift from a man who is now a priest. It is like an Advent wreath, but for Lent. He made it with 2 pieces of wood, one notched on the top and the other on the bottom to make a cross, with holes for 6 candles, 5 purple and one pink. I really love this!

I found a Lenten Cross Candleholder here
Though after seeing the post to Australia I think we will have to make our own. Should be a good project for us as beginner woodworkers

Sharyn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 01 2012 at 9:21am | IP Logged Quote Sharyn

organiclilac wrote:
- a small wooden box I painted purple with black decorations (a crown of thorns around the outside and a cross on top) that contains gold-painted wood letters that spell ALLELUIA - the letters come out and decorate our table during the Easter season

Like this idea too.

Sharyn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 01 2012 at 9:27am | IP Logged Quote Sharyn

Elena wrote:
Here are some things we have done on our tablefor Lent.

I must get around to making those votive candles this year, thanks for reminding me.

Sharyn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 01 2012 at 9:33am | IP Logged Quote Sharyn

Elena wrote:
Also see this oneand here.

I like the symbolism of the sand bottle, very effective.

I downloaded a sample of the Hidden Power of Kindness on Kindle books, I must make that my book for Lent this year too. I've been meaning to read it for ages.

Sharyn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 01 2012 at 9:46am | IP Logged Quote Sharyn

Found this old post How will you 'decorate' for Lent?for those who are interested. Found it by googling. Had a blank when I posted, on what to search under here, not enough sleep lately
Great post though. Got me thinking I must have a Lent/Easter box the same way I have a Christmas box.

Marcia
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 03 2012 at 4:06pm | IP Logged Quote Marcia

Here are a couple of past years for us.

simple lamb and crown of thorns with a cactus

stark decorations

Rock stones for each day to the cave/grave

Enjoy. I'm really stuck on ideas for this year.....

I wonder why
Back to Top View Marcia's Profile Search for other posts by Marcia

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 03 2012 at 5:07pm | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

We've done a sparse wood "tree" to hold Jesus tree ornaments. Our set alternates between the prophecy and the fulfillment throughout the 40 days of Lent.

Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 10 2012 at 9:26am | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

I had a wonderful idea as I was driving from one state to another (AGAIN!)--what about an Interactive Lenten Centerpiece? I will be posting my plans and meditations on my blog weekly during Lent.

This is designed to be basically free. In past years, we have used a crown of thorns, nails, and a purple cloth as a centerpiece during Lent. However, I have noticed that after a week or two, no one seems to pay any attention to these items. So, the interactive centerpiece will change throughout Lent and I plan to draw the children's attention to it through a series of very short and simple meditations.

I'm excited about this! Hope it helps someone else, too!

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

Sharyn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 10 2012 at 9:49am | IP Logged Quote Sharyn

stellamaris wrote:
I had a wonderful idea as I was driving from one state to another (AGAIN!)--what about an Interactive Lenten Centerpiece? I will be posting my plans and meditations on my blog weekly during Lent.

This is designed to be basically free. In past years, we have used a crown of thorns, nails, and a purple cloth as a centerpiece during Lent. However, I have noticed that after a week or two, no one seems to pay any attention to these items. So, the interactive centerpiece will change throughout Lent and I plan to draw the children's attention to it through a series of very short and simple meditations.

I'm excited about this! Hope it helps someone else, too!

Great idea Caroline!   Just the right timing for me to read this too as I'm off to collect all my supplies tomorrow. I've pulled together quite a few ideas now and I'm going to have to add in this one as I feel it will bring everything together nicely. I'll be looking forward to reading your blog.

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 10 2012 at 10:32am | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

I like the idea of adding daily to a display too Caroline. I've been trying to find something that would interest my little guys. I found this scene on pininterest the other day. I think it's just perfect for our nature table. I'm going to collect forty items to put in a basket and daily we'll add the elements to make the pie tin lent scene.

Grace in Loving Chaos
Back to Top View Grace&Chaos's Profile Search for other posts by Grace&Chaos Visit Grace&Chaos's Homepage

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 10 2012 at 1:10pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

Grace&Chaos wrote:
I like the idea of adding daily to a display too Caroline. I've been trying to find something that would interest my little guys. I found this scene on pininterest the other day. I think it's just perfect for our nature table. I'm going to collect forty items to put in a basket and daily we'll add the elements to make the pie tin lent scene.

What a great idea! I know I can't do an activity every day during Lent, though, so I've pared it down to 2-3 evenings a week and simplified a lot for our family. But I'm sure your kids will love this activity!

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 10 2012 at 1:27pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

it's not a table display but I'm thinking a whole flock of these lambs would be enjoyed by the kids. And at my house everyone has to have their own.. so yes it'll be a whole flock.. but the nice part is that I won't need anything else for my house to scream "Lent!" at me.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

KauaiCatholic
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 17 2012 at 6:14pm | IP Logged Quote KauaiCatholic

so many great ideas! I knew I could count on you ladies to get my creative juices flowing! now off to hunt for soldier Legos for the Resurrection garden ...

Back to Top View KauaiCatholic's Profile Search for other posts by KauaiCatholic

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 17 2012 at 6:40pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

Just posted the first set of meditations on my blog for the first week of Lent, fyi.

Flowing Streams

threesidedwheel
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Feb 24 2012 at 2:53pm | IP Logged Quote threesidedwheel

JodieLyn wrote:
it's not a table display but I'm thinking a whole flock of these lambs would be enjoyed by the kids. And at my house everyone has to have their own.. so yes it'll be a whole flock.. but the nice part is that I won't need anything else for my house to scream "Lent!" at me.

Jodie, I am happy to see that you find the Lamb of God Calendar I created pleasing for use with your family this Lent! My children really enjoyed using it last year!

Blessings!
Holly
ThreeSidedWheel
Back to Top View threesidedwheel's Profile Search for other posts by threesidedwheel

threesidedwheel
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Feb 24 2012 at 2:58pm | IP Logged Quote threesidedwheel

Sharyn wrote:
I have been thinking of getting some dried or silk flowers for display on our dining table, but then remembered that it will be lent soon. I'm wondering what might be appropriate? Would anyone care to share table displays they've done for lent?

Sharyn,

While this is not a table scape, you may find some ideas for your home from the Lenten mantelthat is in our family room.

It is very simple--- just a violet scarf, candles, books, and simple sacrifice ideas for the children. Hope it is of some use to you!

Holly
ThreeSidedWheel
Back to Top View threesidedwheel's Profile Search for other posts by threesidedwheel

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version