Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Domestic Church (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Domestic Church
Subject Topic: Table displays during Lent Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 25 2012 at 8:16pm | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

I saw a link the other day, and can't find it now - of a really neat table display.

There was a circular candle holder made of wood; you place a pillar in for each week of Lent perhaps (it seemed to have more holes than that, but I can't recall what they would have been for, so perhaps I'm remembering wrong).

Then there is a wood carving of Jesus carrying his cross. The carving is moved in front of the appropriate candle, all the way through Lent.

Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 27 2012 at 3:39am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

I really like the visual idea of a statue of Christ with his cross moving along as a marker of the weeks. I have seen the spirals like mentioned above for Advent and Lent but have tended away from that particular form and style since it is associated with anthroposophical education and is where that tradition originates. Though it has the Christian figures and is seems focused on a Christian feast and season, the use of the spiral has symbolic meaning of the new age in anthroposophy. A spiral path represents the path to birth and the process of incarnating. The spiral is also a major symbol of pantheism.

So if I were to do something along these lines I think I would make a linear path of candles representing the weeks of Lent and could move a figure of Jesus along each week. Or maybe a closed circle wreath (like a n Advnet wreath). We have a beautiful olive wood Jesus made in Jeruselem which would work.

Any ceramic figure would work as well. Or possibly the peg dolls from CGS.

Another idea I've been meaning to add to this thread - which is full of great ideas BTW - is one I saw on Pinterest for Advent/Immaculate Conception. It was a glass dome over a scene all in white (fake snow, white/silver ornaments, a porcelain Mary, flocked mini tree, a dove). It was beautiful and I had a flurry of ideas for differnet scenes that would be similar but for different seasons. I'm going to try to put together a Lenten one. Some thoughts ~ sand, purple ornaments, sorrowful mother statue or picture, thorns

And this great idea I just saw from House of Joyful Noise is so lovely. I love planting wheat grass, so I am all over this!!!

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 27 2012 at 9:43am | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

CatholicMommy wrote:
I saw a link the other day, and can't find it now - of a really neat table display.

There was a circular candle holder made of wood; you place a pillar in for each week of Lent perhaps (it seemed to have more holes than that, but I can't recall what they would have been for, so perhaps I'm remembering wrong).

Then there is a wood carving of Jesus carrying his cross. The carving is moved in front of the appropriate candle, all the way through Lent.

I think you're looking for Ann Voskamp's Lent Wreath (http://www.aholyexperience.com/category/lent/). We used it for Advent and the boys enjoyed it. I used LED candle sticks instead of real ones. I decided to wait to use the Lent wreath just to give the boys a chance to do something different.

Grace in Loving Chaos
Back to Top View Grace&Chaos's Profile Search for other posts by Grace&Chaos Visit Grace&Chaos's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 27 2012 at 10:33am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

MaryM wrote:

And this great idea I just saw from House of Joyful Noise is so lovely. I love planting wheat grass, so I am all over this!!!

And I realized last night after I posted this, that it isn't really a good one for Lent but rather for Easter. But I was too excited to contain myself. It would be good to start the hill though and plant the wheat in the couple weeks before Easter so maybe midway to Easter. That's about how long you need to get the wheat that high (2 weeks).

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Alison
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 28 2012 at 1:15am | IP Logged Quote Alison

We have done this several years Mary and will probably do it again this year! Here and and here are two blog posts on the fun we had!

blessings
Alison
Back to Top View Alison's Profile Search for other posts by Alison Visit Alison's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 28 2012 at 1:45am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Oh Alison, those are fabulous. Great picks and posts. Looks like you've been doing it for awhile. Do you know where the idea originated? - would love to credit it correctly.

Our Domestic Church

Sharyn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 29 2012 at 4:01am | IP Logged Quote Sharyn

threesidedwheel wrote:
Sharyn wrote:
I have been thinking of getting some dried or silk flowers for display on our dining table, but then remembered that it will be lent soon. I'm wondering what might be appropriate? Would anyone care to share table displays they've done for lent?

Sharyn,

While this is not a table scape, you may find some ideas for your home from the Lenten mantelthat is in our family room.

It is very simple--- just a violet scarf, candles, books, and simple sacrifice ideas for the children. Hope it is of some use to you!

Holly
ThreeSidedWheel

That's lovely Holly! It seems that we have gathered together some of the same idea's Though I haven't the beautiful mantel/fireplace to gather things round.

I have been able to collect some books for Lent/Easter this year which I am so excited about, and have put them in a basket on our altar (my husband has just made us up a big 7 foot long altar! He said how big do you want it, and I thought big, and said really, really long, and there you go then, what a blessing for us this year! )

I made Stations of the Cross votives. An Almsgiving box, which I had to glue shut because my toddler kept emptying it. She has now filled it with the "seeds" that I made from paper, that are supposed to go on our Merciful Cross

For my dining table I have put our purple tablecloth, a table runner with a grapevine motif, some purple fabric which I scrunched up and upon which I placed a wicker wreath with dead twigs woven through it (craft stick thorns didn't want to stay in place), which a poor plant I had neglected outside contributed to (I think I will make a salt dough crown of thorns next year instead, though it's not too late for this year), and then a candle in a glass dish in the centre. On Laetare Sunday I'm planning to put a yellow rose bush in a pot in the centre instead, but we'll see. I have to check first if roses bloom in Autumn (in Australia).   

I was thinking of making a tomb garden, but I think I'll go for a paper version like you have as I can see dirt going everywhere thanks to the toddler

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 02 2012 at 2:05am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Found another old thread:
Something for our table for lent

Our Domestic Church

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version